Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Alyx was good for letting you do both stick and teleport locomotion at the same time. That way you can move long distances with teleport and fine tune with stick. Stupid dungeons of eternity making you pick and also having a jump button that is nausea inducing bounce with no peripheral blocking. You definitely have to have a teleport option for jumping at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
yeah i like the combo of slow walk plus quick step option

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Dungeons of Eternity is probably the worst game to play if you cant do locomotion. It is essentially neccessary to enjoy the game on any serious level. Not having locomotion negates the entire purpose of something like the Haste potions and certain speed/jump perks. They should probably be more upfront about that.

It finally pushed a friend who for a long long time could only do teleport in VR to finally get acclimated to locomotion and now hes got his legs.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Steve Yun posted:

Walking around games will make me motion sick after about half an hour,

Cockpit games, zero motion sickness. My understanding of motion sickness is that when what your body experiences and what your eyes see don’t match up, your body thinks that it has food poisoning and gets the vomit response ready. Walking around in VR has a huge dissonance because your body Does not experience the feeling of walking around. Cockpit games are great because your body experiences the feeling of sitting in a comfy chair, which is pretty close to the visual experience of sitting in a cockpit or driver seat.

It depends a lot on exactly what sort of cues you're sensitive to. I get motion sick playing normal non-VR games on my regular-rear end flatscreen monitor sometimes, but have no trouble with driving. Weird little details about FOV and perspective can be enough to trigger that dissonance for some people.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Went to Walmart to buy a Quest 2 as they have a pretty long return policy and the lowest price. But there was only one left and the outer cover was torn, but the employee offered me a 10% discount so I told him i’d buy it, but needed to open it to make sure there were no signs it had been used.

Almost paid $250 for two cans of refried beans.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

I often put in 6 hour nights playing vrchat laying in bed with smooth turning and stick loco and I don't feel anything, but falling more than a second in anything first person gives me a very realistic plummeting sensation in my stomach ice never been able to shake. Closing my eyes kinda helps but not completely lol. At least I don't get that with like flight sims and stuff. Unpleasantly I've noticed I can get the falling sensations in non VR first person stuff too now, lol I don't want this level of realism please. Never happened before VR!

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

MeatRocket8 posted:

Went to Walmart to buy a Quest 2 as they have a pretty long return policy and the lowest price. But there was only one left and the outer cover was torn, but the employee offered me a 10% discount so I told him i’d buy it, but needed to open it to make sure there were no signs it had been used.

lmao hell yeah

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

MeatRocket8 posted:

drat, almost saved money on beans. Inflation's rough

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MeatRocket8 posted:

Absolutely amazing :lol:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

So did you still get the beans for 10% off or nah

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said

MeatRocket8 posted:

Finally, the sequel

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
What was supposed to be in there

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I once got a package that was supposed to be a Macbook but was 2 bottles of soy sauce.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFCB2XEa--w
Someone linked this video in here a while back, I don't have the timestamp for the relevant part but he came to the conclusion of stick movement caps out at a slow speed, you have to combine it with arm swinging to get you a full speed.

I'm in the annoying shitpit of being lefthanded so get shafted in a bunch of games that don't allow you to edit options. Simple options like changing what hand movement is on. So often I'll get movement on left stick (you know, game controller style) and.. trying to aim/swing my weapon on the same hand :|
Cool thanks.

MeatRocket8 posted:

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!

Thoom posted:

"Rendering" on the monitor should have a negligible performance impact. Pretty sure it's just a copy of the image already rendered for one eye.

I read that it saves quite a bit on the CPU and graphics card, though haven't tried it yet to verify for sure. That would still be displaying an extra 33% of the displays, and the reason it was developed as an alternative software option by some unknown guys was to speed things up.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Desdinova posted:

I read that it saves quite a bit on the CPU and graphics card, though haven't tried it yet to verify for sure. That would still be displaying an extra 33% of the displays, and the reason it was developed as an alternative software option by some unknown guys was to speed things up.

It does not. Rendering the image is the expensive part, not displaying it. Your monitor is just displaying a clone of one of the vr headset’s eyes, there’s no extra 33% anywhere.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Origami Dali posted:

. Now, the only thing that makes me sick is when the headset freezes and the screen moves with my head until I reboot.

Ugh, screen freezing is like a gut punch.

I play Walkabout mini golf with my wife and on Q3 it sometimes has a little screen freeze hiccup when the ball sinks, god I hate it when it does that.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

MeatRocket8 posted:

Al! posted:

lmao hell yeah

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

MeatRocket8 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwqnwSQiCIQ

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.
Speaking of gorilla locomotion, I just picked up Underdogs, and the movement feels amazing to me in that game. Something about the layer of separation being in the mech adds to the movement and the combat makes it feel super immersive and gives a lot of “weight” to everything. I usually struggle with melee in VR because of lack of strong feedback when hitting things, but the added mech layer really helps trick my brain in all the right ways.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

At this point I’ve probably spent just as long fiddling with mods and pcvr bullshit as playing Skyrim in VR, but when it’s working it’s so drat good. I’m glad the improvements in the Q3 actually make it reasonably comfortable to play longer sessions

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!

kojei posted:

It does not. Rendering the image is the expensive part, not displaying it. Your monitor is just displaying a clone of one of the vr headset’s eyes, there’s no extra 33% anywhere.

Fair enough, seemed like it could speed things up but I guess the 580 needs to be upgraded, it served(serves) it's purpose well but lags like hell and freezes on Visual Pinball VR. Also doesn't let Alan Wake 2 even start because of mesh shaders. Thanks guys.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

njsykora posted:

I once got a package that was supposed to be a Macbook but was 2 bottles of soy sauce.
Way back I tried to buy an Apple Powerbook but when it arrived it was just a binder with some keycaps glued in. :(

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Collateral Damage posted:

Way back I tried to buy an Apple Powerbook but when it arrived it was just a binder with some keycaps glued in. :(

I a-p-p-p-reciate this one :allears:.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Collateral Damage posted:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I a-p-p-p-reciate this one :allears:.

Yeah, that was the first thing my mind went to.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
https://twitter.com/BunniKaitlyn/status/1756580547768279466

Someone apparently cracked the Oculus Runtime to run without the Oculus App. (Ie; You could run a CV1 or Rift S as a purely-SteamVR headset with no Meta account)

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022

by Pragmatica
lmao do they fall to their knees in jubilation? That rules

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Neddy Seagoon posted:

https://twitter.com/BunniKaitlyn/status/1756580547768279466

Someone apparently cracked the Oculus Runtime to run without the Oculus App. (Ie; You could run a CV1 or Rift S as a purely-SteamVR headset with no Meta account)

That's rad as hell :stoked:

On a separate note I was messing with The Riese Project (Prologue) on steam and it really struck me as a symbol of how nascent control systems in VR are that an action as simple and everyday as opening doors -- which we do pretty much on effortless autopilot -- remains such a... clunky thing to do in VR.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Welp while playing with my quest 2 (sitting, mind you) I suddenly smelled burned electronics and discovered the charging port had started, uh, slightly smoldering.

It's 2 months to the end of the warranty and through amazon so I'm optimistic I'll get a refund but holy poo poo what an unpleasant thing to smell while simulating sitting in a plafe at 7000m :v:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Costco Meatballs posted:

lmao do they fall to their knees in jubilation? That rules

Pretty sure they're holding the headset in one hand and waving the controller with the other, and they just set down both at the end.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

In the 'I wasn't expecting this' category, Breathedge VR title
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEmfaG7pIt8

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Breath edge was offensively bad.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Son of Rodney posted:

Welp while playing with my quest 2 (sitting, mind you) I suddenly smelled burned electronics and discovered the charging port had started, uh, slightly smoldering.

It's 2 months to the end of the warranty and through amazon so I'm optimistic I'll get a refund but holy poo poo what an unpleasant thing to smell while simulating sitting in a plafe at 7000m :v:

It happened to my Quest 3. Sent it to Meta a couple weeks ago. I expect to get it back in 2-3 weeks hopefully.

Thats what made me decide to buy a Quest 2 to have in the meantime and keep as a backup. Then that ones USB got fried too, a week after getting it from Amazon.

This made me suspect it may have been a faulty USB port or cable. So I bought a new power strip. Plugged into a different outlet, and i'm using a new USB cable (when charging while playing since the stock one is too short)

Going to buy a second Quest 2 is what led me to go to Walmart and almost getting scammed. Ended up ordering it on Amazon again. Paid with a credit card that doubles the warranty length.

Praying it doesn't happen again. Wtf Meta. I've never had this happen to any other electronics i've had.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said

Kwolok posted:

Breath edge was offensively bad.

One of the nicest looking games i've seen, with the whole entire massive ship in bits broken apart through the ice belt, put firmly in the bin by me after about 20 minutes because the writing was like getting your fingernails pulled out.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Son of Rodney posted:

you tripped the secret malfunction in microsoft flight sim. hope you got the achievement

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Stanko-Prussian posted:

One of the nicest looking games i've seen, with the whole entire massive ship in bits broken apart through the ice belt, put firmly in the bin by me after about 20 minutes because the writing was like getting your fingernails pulled out.

Yup, what a shame. The game also plays like poo poo if it makes you feel better.

TadBradley
Jan 14, 2008
I don't know what goes here.
Is the Cave Digger dev goon still around these parts? I just bought CD2 on Quest 2 and can't seem to reliably put stuff in my backpack. I'm still just dipping a toe in, but it seems pretty neat so far. It's like a VR cowboy Deep Rock Galactic, which is extremely my poo poo.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Stanko-Prussian posted:

I was able to get past the terrible writing, because the game was still kind of fun. My issue was that they tried to make it like subnautica where you can collect resources and build a base, except, by the time you can actually do this, the game is over. You unlock the ability to build a cool ship, and then the very next quest is the point of no return where you go to the ending area and sprint to the end of the game. Maybe the VR game will feature more of the base building stuff, but I don't see why there would need to be another one of these games.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i think in general we can put a moratorium on cheeky hyper corporate scifi settings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011

Stanko-Prussian posted:

I bailed when I found the "Captain Libtard" comic floating around in space :jerkbag: