Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
My ARPG Hot Take is that skill trees suck and Diablo 3's skill system was the best thing about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

isthereanydeal only lists legit stores, gg.deals lists assholes

There is an option to turn key shops off if you are so inclined.

I pretty much do all my purchases after consulting gg.deals nowadays, the Steam discounts alone ain't cutting it anymore.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Broken Cog posted:

Killer 7 is a very fun game to look at screenshots or cutscene clips of.

It's not a very fun game to play

Coincidentally, this goes for most Suda games

My stopping point with it was when I realized about one in three Save Rooms actually lets you Save despite that they're all the goddamn same.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Unlucky7 posted:

My ARPG Hot Take is that skill trees suck and Diablo 3's skill system was the best thing about it.

Honestly it's really good if you look at it as a straightforward action game. Equip one of the three endgame sets, select the skills it buffs and kill poo poo. It's not what I was looking for, but I appreciate that there's space for a Diablo where you don't have to think about putting a build together.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

There's a lot of complexity around build choices in Diablo 3, at least as much as there is in D2, it's just that the work is mostly backloaded and you can get a build up and running very quickly by following the set archetypes. I think people have kind of a warped view of D2 when the endgame there for literally 5/7 classes is Enigma and SOJ/BKB.

King Boo
Feb 24, 2008

nihil novi sub sole
now itad looks like ggdeals but loads slowest of the two. good job!

i like itad's email digests but if i'm actively shopping i just use the better site

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

rip the best arpg, marvel heroes. even completely removing the skill trees couldn't save you.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Ghostlight posted:

rip the best arpg, marvel heroes. even completely removing the skill trees couldn't save you.

oh man yeah, also the Games thread was hilarious

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

I tried out Killer7 on a friend's gamecube ages ago and it was intriguing but a nightmare to play

Then supergreatfriend did a comprehensive LP a few years ago with upscaled emulator graphics if anyone's interested in the game but don't want to deal with it themselves. It's a recommend, he's fantastic

e: I also adore the track Harman's Room, it's my favorite from the game, it's a moody slow burn https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UkaHG5czKA

flesh dance fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Feb 12, 2024

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

SGF's LP of Killer7 was a hoot but I wouldn't want to play it.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Croccers posted:

It takes longer to load (I wonder how many ads are getting blocked :v:) but it's easier to read overall :shrug:

Seems there are actually no ads and no trackers. The only thing blocked by uBlock Origin is sentry.io which is metrics.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Does anyone have any recommendations for digital jigsaw puzzle games? I've tried Pixel Puzzles Ultimate, but holy hell, the fact that I can't stick pieces together is very annoying. I'd also love something that has larger puzzles and the ability to control puzzle shapes (don't like weird jagged edges and poo poo).

Yes, I am an old woman, why do you ask? :colbert:

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Radiation Cow posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for digital jigsaw puzzle games? I've tried Pixel Puzzles Ultimate, but holy hell, the fact that I can't stick pieces together is very annoying. I'd also love something that has larger puzzles and the ability to control puzzle shapes (don't like weird jagged edges and poo poo).

It's not quite the same, but I just saw this game in NextFest which might scratch an itch?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2654860/Mizi_NO/
In this free 2D puzzle game, you must reassemble broken objects that your cat has knocked over.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Megazver posted:

broken objects that your cat has knocked over.

It's too real. :negative:

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

FishMcCool posted:

It's too real. :negative:

EDIT: Oh, here's another curious one:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2619860/Animated_Jigsaw_Puzzles/

Megazver fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Feb 12, 2024

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Ghostlight posted:

Glad the private server is still around at least.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

The best and criminally overlooked ARPG will forever be Sacred. :colbert:

It absolutely isn't but I enjoyed it quite a bit when i was like 15. :v:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Resdfru posted:

Are there any (good) arpgs that aren't grimdark fantasy? Grimdark Sci fi would be acceptable

Alien Shooter 2: Reloaded
CrossCode
Everspace 2
Hades
The Riftbreaker
Yakuza
Ys

Bastion and Transistor are still grimdark fantasy but in a unique way

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Feb 12, 2024

Orv
May 4, 2011

Perestroika posted:

The best and criminally overlooked ARPG will forever be Sacred. :colbert:

It absolutely isn't but I enjoyed it quite a bit when i was like 15. :v:

Mega Man Anubis is still the best class anyone has made for an RPG at least

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The correct answer is Nox.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Nox is brilliant, I've played through it like six times, but not in recent years. Gotta go back to it sometime.

It's like, imagine if D2 had zero procgen content and everything was meticulously hand-placed. And pretty and colourful and full of life, like there's this world you'd really love to to just explore. It's just such a different take on the same control scheme, it's marvelous. And it has balanced PvP. Geez.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Feb 12, 2024

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Hwurmp posted:

Alien Shooter 2: Reloaded
CrossCode
Hades
The Riftbreaker
Yakuza
Ys

Bastion and Transistor are still grimdark fantasy but in a unique way

Boy, CrossCode was such a great game. I fizzled out in one of the latter puzzle dungeons because it is the sort of thing I need to be in the right mood for, but the combat was just impeccable. Also the story was surprisingly charming for an Isekai.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Idunno, I found Crosscode to be extremely boring. The story was incredibly mundane (at least for as long as I bothered to play. Steam says I have about 20 hours), and every. single. dungeon. wayyyy overstayed its welcome.
Apparently I stopped playing *just* before it gets interesting, but at that point I really could not be bothered to continue.

Really sleek UI though

Orv
May 4, 2011

Serephina posted:

And it has balanced PvP.

Absolutely not.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Ok, I only played a bit of PvP. If not balanced, at the very least... functional? Playable? D1 and D2 pvp was a mess.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I mean, functional in the same way that Diablo PvP is: you can kill a person.

Functional also in that a mage will throw a lightning bolt into a room from two rooms away and everyone - probably including the mage - will die.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Broken Cog posted:

Idunno, I found Crosscode to be extremely boring. The story was incredibly mundane (at least for as long as I bothered to play. Steam says I have about 20 hours), and every. single. dungeon. wayyyy overstayed its welcome.
Apparently I stopped playing *just* before it gets interesting, but at that point I really could not be bothered to continue.

Really sleek UI though

I liked crosscode well enough but I agree with you that the dungeons were way too long for their own good.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

exquisite tea posted:

The correct answer is Nox.
:hmmno:

:hmmyes: Gauntlet 2.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

Isthereanydeal updated and the new website looks way worse and runs worse :negative:

I’ve always been a cheapshark man

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Radiation Cow posted:

Check out Super Jigsaw Puzzle: Generations.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

From first glance, this is perfect. Thank you!

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The novelty of Nox PVP for me is that it felt just like deathmatching in a shooter.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Skill trees rock, goonbrains are even softer than their bodies.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mordja posted:

competent skill trees are great, but for every FFX sphere grid there's dozens of Path of Exile's nonsense with no respec or forgiveness.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

It is rather annoying that in both TQ/GD the first 40 levels are spent just filling in the passive masteries while putting 1 point into your prereqs along the way. Very low on the button:awesome scale.
If I was in charge I'd invert it, that bar which gives you generic stats and unlocks more of the tree is filled in by putting points into skills rather than into it directly.

... You know, kinda like Chronicon does.

Unlucky7 posted:

Adventure Mode letting you skip the storyline on future characters was also fantastic. Even if the story hadn't been... that, having to go through even a good one over and over can get old.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
I started a new character in Chronicon because of this thread. Killed a bunch of mobs by hitting them with lightning arrows and it felt great. Game good.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

Mordja posted:

Do I want the style of skill tree where 1-2 cookiecutter choices are viable because they have unintuitive interactions with other skills and everything else sabotages me, or the one where it's a web of 1000 choices that add 0.0001% to sword damage each. I swear to god every time I go to read about a build in most of these games theres a pages long dissertation that starts out, "Though it doesn't specify it in the tooltip or anywhere else in the game, unlike 90% of the games skills, the % added by this passive is multiplicative instead of additive and thus-"

I hate that poo poo so much.

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Feb 12, 2024

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

can't see the skill forest for the skill trees

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
The skill tree(s) of last epoch is actually a fun idea, where each ability has their own skill tree. I'm too smoothbrained to come up with my own builds though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
I don't mind skill trees in themselves, but I wish each node was a big gameplay twist instead of having to invest 214 points unlocking nodes giving conditional +0.0143% buffs in order to unlock the node that turns me into a god when I sneeze.