Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
This season needed to be at least 8 episodes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I think it was lucky to get made since it was a solo production that had to sell itself as a True Detective season. I think the season has a lot of good ideas but to get it all done well in 6 episodes is impossible.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Peter deserves to go on the adventure in the final episode. It’s just the two-partners structure of season one dictating that there is only room for two true detectives. He’s the only one who actually figured anything out.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

sethsez posted:

It's also fair to infer that six people frozen into a Boschian popsicle alongside the tongue of a six-year-old cold case popping up at their place of work is an extremely unusual thing that might require some overtime from a cop for a week or so.

The general lack of reaction to the genuinely horrifying nature of the crime just doesn't ring true, and that reverberates down a whole lot of plot threads and character interactions.

Of course not, because it wasn't a crime it was a weather event.
Nbd

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

TheBizzness posted:

Oh god no, they already spent two full episodes doing nothing - what they should have done is spent their six episodes they already had writing better!

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Oh god no, they already spent two full episodes doing nothing - what they should have done is spent their six episodes they already had writing better!

Fair.

Sneaksie Taffer
Sep 21, 2009

I AM GRANDO posted:

Peter deserves to go on the adventure in the final episode. It’s just the two-partners structure of season one dictating that there is only room for two true detectives. He’s the only one who actually figured anything out.

Hey now, Qavvik found Tagaq, learned the spiral's significance, and helped find the trailer.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Gotta warn people about the thin ice in Louisiana swamps!

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Oh, speaking of : not trying to be snarky, and fully admit if I missed something, but did anyone understand the relevance of the place where Navarro “flashed to” when she was on the ice? It was truly shown SO quickly - looked like a desert? Was there a van overturned? Was it a combat zone of some sort?

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

starving in the belly of a whale
its ribs are ceiling beams
its guts are carpeting
I guess we have some time to kill

TheBizzness posted:

Lol no. I don't think the show has been as slowly paced but there are plenty of other problems of word character nonsense and bad needle drops that I would not have kept up personally.

Edit: Re desert landscape. Navarro and her sister lived in New Mexico for a time, and that's where their mother died. Or it's from her service time. Other than that, we can only hope the last episode adds clarity.

I still want to know why the hell Danvers through away her dead kid's toy polar bear. Unless there's a reveal such as the kid Holden was communicating from the dead with it, it makes no sense. There's nothing superstitious about having keepsakes of your dead loved ones so that whole scene was nonsense.

Whale Vomit fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Feb 12, 2024

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Oh, speaking of : not trying to be snarky, and fully admit if I missed something, but did anyone understand the relevance of the place where Navarro “flashed to” when she was on the ice? It was truly shown SO quickly - looked like a desert? Was there a van overturned? Was it a combat zone of some sort?

It is Iraq or Afghanistan, given that she is a vet based on the scene in iirc the first episode where she sees her fellow soldier with half her head blown off

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

my bony fealty posted:

It is Iraq or Afghanistan, given that she is a vet based on the scene in iirc the first episode where she sees her fellow soldier with half her head blown off

Yeah I remembered her mentioning she was a vet….that whole sequence happened SO fast and had NO tension at all? It was so weird that they just seemed to be speeding through it.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Yeah I remembered her mentioning she was a vet….that whole sequence happened SO fast and had NO tension at all? It was so weird that they just seemed to be speeding through it.

There was a very quick flashback to a soldier missing half their head. She remembered it when she was asked if she thought god was real.

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

Sickening posted:

There was a very quick flashback to a soldier missing half their head. She remembered it when she was asked if she thought god was real.

It was probably the first instance of her seeing a ghost, and that ghost whispered something to her related to the existence of God? It is just kind of left hanging.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
I thought it was funny when Qavvik and his friend track down Navarro at the laundromat just to tell her that the spiral stones are warnings about thin ice that lead to the caves.

They came in with such urgency I expected it to be something like Clark was sighted, the spiral thing could have been a text message

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Yeah, that was pretty weird in retrospect.

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Or just made a movie, honestly.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

wait so how DID those nerds die? And how did Rose follow a ghost to the bodies? Why did the power go out right as that one guy had a seizure and said The Spooky Phrase?

I still don't see how those aren't not a supernatural/weird science things, but the show seems to has lost interest in that stuff compared to Annie K and Evil Mine Corp

edit: and whoever wrote We Are All Dead and then put Ferris Bueller on repeat. WHat kind of state of mind was that guy in?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

sure okay posted:

wait so how DID those nerds die? And how did Rose follow a ghost to the bodies? Why did the power go out right as that one guy had a seizure and said The Spooky Phrase?

I still don't see how those aren't not a supernatural/weird science things, but the show seems to has lost interest in that stuff compared to Annie K and Evil Mine Corp

edit: and whoever wrote We Are All Dead and then put Ferris Bueller on repeat. WHat kind of state of mind was that guy in?

Everyone was hopped up on spiral drugs.

Von Pluring
Sep 19, 2003

Zelensky's Zealots
Pork Pro
If you're gonna warn people about cracks in the ice or whatever in a place with constant snow storms and poo poo, don't just place a small rock with a swirly symbol on the ground. Put up a sign or something, jeez.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Oh my god, I tripped over someone in the couch thread saying the needle drop at the end was really bad, heard the second to last song when I knew the episode was nearly done, thought "oh whatever, that's not really that bad," then got to the actual final needle drop without thinking there would be one and just fell over laughing. There's supposed to be a person whose job it is to select the music for a series. Whoever that is for this show... oof.

GABA ghoul posted:

So, Sean Penn agreed to murder an innocent guy and the chief of police for a promotion and pay hike?

Yeah, ok, he wasn't portrayed as the most trustworthy guy in town, but straight up double murder of two innocent people is a really extreme escalation.
Exactly what I was thinking. What the gently caress does being the chief of this Podunk town get you, exactly? Ask for enough money to let your son take care of his family without having to be beholden to his chief, how does that sound?

Oh yeah when Qaavik find's Navarro he's like "hey, look, I found her!" as though he was dragging his buddy around town looking for her to show her the stone and what it meant. I thought "why didn't he call her?" but realized oh, wait, it must be the category 4 storm knocked out the phone signal! I don't know how many minutes later it is but minutes later she is answering a phone call. This loving show man...

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Feb 12, 2024

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
I’m still not entirely clear on Connolly and Danvers roles. She keeps calling him captain and she’s the chief of police, but he can take the case away from her and tell her to stop investigating? Or can he only do that because he’s blackmailing her? What is his job exactly?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Deadite posted:

I’m still not entirely clear on Connolly and Danvers roles. She keeps calling him captain and she’s the chief of police, but he can take the case away from her and tell her to stop investigating? Or can he only do that because he’s blackmailing her? What is his job exactly?
Good question. Looking up ranks, it seems captain is actually 2 ranks below Chief, with a Chief only ever having a commissioner or superintendent as a boss in larger cities like NYC or LA. They should've just made the dude mayor.

I don't really know what else I want to even say about this silly show so I'll just go with "Prior's darting eyeballs as he's talking to Davner's daughter through the cell window made it look like he was falling in love and it was weird."

Edit: I'm still catching up with the thread but needed to also say that the polar bear lived in the cave that the mine blew the entrance to. The reason he's walking around town is cuz he can't get back home. :cry:

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Feb 12, 2024

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

Everyone was hopped up on spiral drugs.

teh wacky tabacky

College Rockout
Jan 10, 2010

John Hawkes in the car: "I'm not a killer"

10 minutes later

*double taps a guy walking away*

:thunk:

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

DaveKap posted:

I don't really know what else I want to even say about this silly show so I'll just go with "Prior's darting eyeballs as he's talking to Davner's daughter through the cell window made it look like he was falling in love and it was weird."

Hell, same. The directing in that scene was really weird. It was fine when he put his chin on the little window flap while talking, but then he starts eating while his chin is still resting on it and his looks become really, really creepy. Like, what the gently caress was the instruction from the director here? "Ok, great, can you do it again, but this time make our skin crawl?"

The actor is absolutely fine in every other scene, so I don't think this is on him.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

College Rockout posted:

10 minutes later

Yeah that one was pretty silly

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Hank is either tremendously stupid or extremely easily bought or both. He's already traded done something for the position he's now getting offered again. And plus Danvers is the chief of police and look how lavish she's living. This kind of 'kill someone and move up one rank to run your own crew in our gang' deal I'd expect more on Season 2 or even on The Wire. I guess also in the backwoods but in Season 1 Maserati cop got to be top dog and the car. He even got to stay wilfully ignorant even if it probably took a lot of mental gymnastics.

You know I keep wondering when will be the first TD season where the bad guys win flat out. None of the killers are captured. The protagonists are all taken out before they can alert anyone else of what they've found or elsewise it's all covered up after they're knocked off. I don't think this will be the one I'm just saying.

Jeep
Feb 20, 2013

GABA ghoul posted:

Hell, same. The directing in that scene was really weird. It was fine when he put his chin on the little window flap while talking, but then he starts eating while his chin is still resting on it and his looks become really, really creepy. Like, what the gently caress was the instruction from the director here? "Ok, great, can you do it again, but this time make our skin crawl?"

The actor is absolutely fine in every other scene, so I don't think this is on him.

Small thing, but I also liked that the blocking for this entire scene was based around keeping a nice Ice Cold Pepsi in the dead center of the shot lol

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

College Rockout posted:

10 minutes later

It could have worked if they spent more time making Hawkes a liar or a craven coward. He comes off as a little hopeless with divorced dad energy instead of desperate.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Tbh I thought he was going to just shoot himself

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

sethsez posted:

When I say "it's confusing" I don't mean I'm unable to track the actual events that are occurring or the reasons for them.

What I mean is

the fact that it doesn't line up with the setting is crucial. The marriage plotline is important to both character development and the central plot, and the crime at the center of all this is the driving force behind why Peter isn't home for the duration of the series. You can't separate them. The fact that the home plot doesn't line up with the crime isn't an ancillary problem, it's the basis of the entire disconnect.

Peter exists in a show where six people were found frozen together in a hell tableau. Kayla exists in a show where a vagrant was found strangled but there might just be more to this. It kneecaps an otherwise standard plot point.

The driving force behind why Peter isn't home isn't the murder. That's the surface level event that's brought this to a head, but the driving force is Peter's internal conflict between family/home life and Danvers/work life. That's existed before the current murder, and with that in mind, the fact is that the grotesque nature of the murder is fundamentally irrelevant to the conflict. "My husband is doing Important Work because the murder was grotesque" doesn't change my baby's diaper. It doesn't study for my nurse exam. It doesn't make me less tired when I can't sleep. And frankly it doesn't solve the bigger problems the town has with the life being strangled out of it by the mine (I mean, in a meta sense it's almost certainly tied to the mine, but that's knowledge most of the characters do not have :v: ).

That's the thrust of their conflict, it's not that this one week has been bad, it's that "There's always going to be Important Cop Work and it will always come first" is an ongoing, widening rift in their relationship. It's not something that can be solved by just Dealing With It for a week or so, and that makes it a more interesting and hard to reconcile situation for the characters.

Like I dunno, I don't think this season is great but there's this horns/halo effect where people don't like a show, and then decide every single thing about the show is all part of a huge sprawling collective failure, even things that are completely untrue and are just a result of people half-paying attention and missing something. If someone is arguing "the wife's behavior doesn't make sense if the entire conflict is limited to the events of the past two weeks", and the show clearly communicates that the conflict is not limited to the events of the past two weeks... That person is just barking up the wrong tree to begin with.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Feb 12, 2024

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I think that is maybe an issue of casting and of John Hawkes being too nice to display actual malice.

Because "guy who took bribe to hide body for mine that is poisoning the town, beat his son for touching files, and then lost all his bribe money to his russian mail order bride who scammed him" strikes me very plausibly as a double murderer. Maybe they would have been better off swapping Hawkes and Ecclestone.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
IMO Hawks has been super effective in the role. He constantly looks like he's sucking on a thistle, except these last two episodes where a suicidal vibe has crept in.

rich thick and creamy
May 23, 2005

To whip it, Whip it good
Pillbug
If this season ends without a one-eyed polar bear eating a junkie's corpse, I'll be really disappointed.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Tender Bender posted:

The driving force behind why Peter isn't home isn't the murder. That's the surface level event that's brought this to a head, but the driving force is Peter's internal conflict between family/home life and Danvers/work life. That's existed before the current murder, and with that in mind, the fact is that the grotesque nature of the murder is fundamentally irrelevant to the conflict. "My husband is doing Important Work because the murder was grotesque" doesn't change my baby's diaper. It doesn't study for my nurse exam. It doesn't make me less tired when I can't sleep. And frankly it doesn't solve the bigger problems the town has with the life being strangled out of it by the mine (I mean, in a meta sense it's almost certainly tied to the mine, but that's knowledge most of the characters do not have :v: ).

That's the thrust of their conflict, it's not that this one week has been bad, it's that "There's always going to be Important Cop Work and it will always come first" is an ongoing, widening rift in their relationship. It's not something that can be solved by just Dealing With It for a week or so, and that makes it a more interesting and hard to reconcile situation for the characters.

Like I dunno, I don't think this season is great but there's this horns/halo effect where people don't like a show, and then decide every single thing about the show is all part of a huge sprawling collective failure, even things that are completely untrue and are just a result of people half-paying attention and missing something. If someone is arguing "the wife's behavior doesn't make sense if the entire conflict is limited to the events of the past two weeks", and the show clearly communicates that the conflict is not limited to the events of the past two weeks... That person is just barking up the wrong tree to begin with.

Like I said, I understand what the intent is, I just don't think the execution is hitting the right notes to sell it. Plenty of other media has done this exact same plot so it's far from an unfamiliar structure.

And I've been pretty positive on this season overall, so it's not like I'm looking for reasons to hate it.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

sethsez posted:

Like I said, I understand what the intent is, I just don't think the execution is hitting the right notes to sell it. Plenty of other media has done this exact same plot so it's far from an unfamiliar structure.

And I've been pretty positive on this season overall, so it's not like I'm looking for reasons to hate it.

I hear you and don't really disagree on that point. I think this is a product of this conversation spinning off from my initially replying to a different poster (who was, originally, replying to someone other than me). Multiple arguments/discussion points getting swirled together.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

sethsez posted:

I think the issue is that people have been clear over and over that they recognize what the show is doing but are complaining that the show is telling them and not showing it. Even if it's an obvious motif it can still be done poorly. The guy you're replying to is unable to come to terms with that and thinks he's an enlightened television watcher.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Tender Bender posted:

I hear you and don't really disagree on that point. I think this is a product of this conversation spinning off from my initially replying to a different poster (who was, originally, replying to someone other than me). Multiple arguments/discussion points getting swirled together.

As a thread, I think we should leave a rock with a swirl drawn on it to warn passerby posters away from falling into the disagreement.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

rich thick and creamy posted:

If this season ends without a one-eyed polar bear eating a junkie's corpse, I'll be really disappointed.

The Coca Cola bear has fallen so low. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Petey knows why is marriage is falling apart and says as much, she resents him because they got pregnant and married too young. All the work stuff is just a convenient excuse to lash out. Most of this could have been avoided with a throwaway line from him saying something like "This is a really big case and things will calm back down again soon" as an attempted defense. I don't think he bothered because he knew that wasn't really the issue anyways.

Hawkes is both easily bought and an idiot. Yeah he said he wasn't a killer and the silently relented a few seconds later. His plan was to go pick up Oates from whatever holding cell or rehab he was in, and "transfer" him to wherever the "warrant" was, in reality he would just disappear. I'm sure he justified it to himself by thinking the dude is just a junkie and would probably be dead soon anyways. He never intended to kill Danvers, but he never intended to find the Oates actually in Danvers house either, and since he's so bad at like, everything, he didn't think his next steps through very well. Plus he really hates Danvers anyways.