Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Lasercannon fits my load out vs bugs, alongside my autoshotgun. I use it to melt oncoming hordes and save my primary ammo for the big boys.

Laser seems worthless against bots though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Whenever i see a bug letting out the fart that calls the breach in. I just drop an orbital barrage on em. It takes just long enough to hit, so that the big boys pop out and take it in the face.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

The easiest way to deal with Chargers is to use a rocket - disposable or recoilless - to crack the armor on one front leg. It can be a bit of tricky shot, but once it's de-armored that spot will drop it extremely quickly with conventional fire.

The thing that's miserable about bug missions is the loving Stalkers.ita not fair that I can unload a half-dozen shotgun shells into one without a stagger or retreat, just a gently caress-you knock twenty yards away. Feels like there should be SOME counterplay.

raverrn fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Feb 12, 2024

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

ZeusCannon posted:

Whenever i see a bug letting out the fart that calls the breach in. I just drop an orbital barrage on em. It takes just long enough to hit, so that the big boys pop out and take it in the face.

This is why I bring napalm and an orbital fart bomb sometimes.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Orv posted:

The recoilless seems like the charger answer. Unlike some of the other bugs if chargers lose a leg they die immediately and a recoilless to the leg does the job. Otherwise it’s four auto cannon rounds to the rear end and while that’s pretty ammo efficient the time they take to bleed out is occasionally a problem.

E: Or take the limiter off the railgun and do them in a couple shots but don’t gently caress up or blammo
Yeah so far the best way to deal with them as far as my loving around in solo goes, a recoilless/EAT shot to one of the front legs, then either a quick follow-up shot (if you're team-loading the recoilless, for example) or just shoot it down with your rifle. Works with the railgun if you charge it up all the to "almost kill yourself" as well.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Dandywalken posted:

Laser cannon feels terrible lol. Literally deflects off chargers armor.

Bile spewers are what gives us the most trouble unless we bring an autocannon or two. Just hit level 8 so hope to get that tomorrow. Running Hards in-house, just unlocked Extreme.

The laser cannon owns against everything but bots and heavy armor like the charger or more advanced variants. It tears through all the other bugs including the spewers, but yeah it cannot pierce heavy armor and it would be pretty broken if it could tbh given that it has infinite ammo.

It's really good in a team where other people are handling the heavies since you can handle everything else including the invisible guys and the spewers.

Vadun posted:

Laser seems worthless against bots though

It's completely worthless against bots. Physical or explosive damage is what you need for them I'm assuming.

Inzombiac posted:

Solo feels so much different than even with one more person, it's wild.

Does the game scale per player or am I shooting myself in the foot by rolling alone?

It definitely scales per player in terms of how you start the game. Otherwise you'd be completely hosed trying to deal with enough enemies for four people. Your DPS simply couldn't keep up no matter how well you played. That being said there are other factors like having people to watch your back and more calldowns that probably make soloing a bit harder even though there are less bugs.

Also, I'm not sure it adjusts mid game so if you go in with three people and try to finish with one after they dip out, I feel like it may stay the same as if there were more people. One of my more tense missions happened that way.

triple sulk posted:

They're the capsules that explode open, right? The ones that look like were a pod that contained someone? I've opened those and I don't feel like I've gotten a thing. I may have gotten ten just now but I dunno. I'm up to hard difficulty but I guess I don't seem to get poo poo from the matchmaking and need to start missions myself to get actual credit.

I'm PRETTY sure that everyone who paricipates in a mission gets the exact same rewards, even if you come in late, although please correct me if I'm wrong. I have wondered about that a lot in terms of the stashes, but I don't think they'd design it so that players should compete amongst themselves on trying to grab it?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

So I guess they haven't fixed anything in the last 24 hours since I can't connect to the server to login?

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
i'm about half & half in terms of actually getting rewarded for missions today. I did pick up the grenade launcher and oh man it feels good. Takes out light armored stuff pretty well, good vs crowds, and seems to have a decent amount of ammo. Then again I only really played on medium difficulty today so idk if it scales. Also really liking the Diligence DMR, it's been really good vs bots. I end up depending on teammates or bombardments for heavy stuff; need to unlock some Eagle strats next and try those

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Only played the tutorial so far, but man did it capture the perfect feel of a propaganda reel from Stsrship Troopers.
Set my title as Ombudsman of Democracy. GOTY

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Feb 12, 2024

Secret Agent Cow
Dec 29, 2010

:dukedog:
For those of us on pc, if you rebind the strategem call in keys to something other than wasd you can input strategems while moving/sprinting.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Man, I want a laser LMG like the bots have, that would be killer.

E: Also, if you guys hate Chargers so much, just bring a flamethrower, they have no defense against fire.

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Feb 12, 2024

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

idiotsavant posted:

i'm about half & half in terms of actually getting rewarded for missions today.

I'm 0/2

Play
Apr 25, 2006

drat the game is super loving broken now. that sucks

Just joined a goon's game and somehow I picked something up that was represented by a large purple question mark. like, literally a 3d question mark that I was 'holding' in my hands as if it were an SSSD drive or something right as we were trying to evac. It was kind of hilarious

Then the game crashed

megane
Jun 20, 2008

That’s freedom’s question mark, soldier :911:

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

explosivo posted:

I'm really digging bringing the supply pack. You can keep people supplied but also if the team can stay topped up through drops and pickups you can use it to give yourself ammo with an ammo hungry weapon like the grenade launcher. The cooldown is pretty short too so I'll call down a new one every now and then to keep my supply packs topped off too.

DelphiAegis posted:

If you take extra supplies from a supply drop, you can refill your backpack charges, and the supply drop has a way shorter cooldown than the backpack, but the pack is a free refill too, yeah. Really helps for the long missions and your own longevity.
Does taking the supplies from the supply drop put it into your ammo backpack automatically? I tried picking up ammo boxes I found on the ground when I tried the supply backpack since I was bringing the grenade launcher, and it didn't seem to fill it. Is it just specifically the ammo cans from supply drops? Or are there any special keys to load it into the backpack?

Deakul posted:

It's almost comical just how much better at Starship Troopers this game is compared to the actual Troopers game by the Squad guys.
Gonna :smugdog: a bit on my previous commentary from last year in the other thread once the Starship Troopers game released a 4-player hive mode

BeAuMaN posted:

From the footage I've seen... Hive is neat conceptually, but 4 players isn't what most of us came here for. Starship Troopers is about being a faceless loving grunt among grunts thrown haplessly at the enemy. Should be more players in Hive mode where you defend a central arms cache while systematically wiping out main caves with nukes. Making decisions on whether to multi-push or play it safe and push one cave at a time. Each cave can have one of a handful of events where there's ambushes, poison spore emitting growth, all sorts of random poo poo to shake it up.

Or the game is, afterall, Early Access. Maybe the devs feel empowered to just test out whatever and see how it works. Maybe they're unsure of what to do after the base game they did at launch.

Also... I mean investing in 4 player is a bad plan because Helldivers 2 is almost assuredly going to be a better 4 player Starship Troopers game.
Now that the game is out (bugs notwithstanding), yeah Starship Troopers needs to focus on making their large player count co-op game modes better because there's no use for a 4-player mode in that game (I also haven't been back on that game in a while after hearing about how the magma bugs are buggy; hope to return once it gets better though!)

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Hit Helldiver tonight

For reference, on one of our last Impossible missions I had near 500 kills on my own running around in a bug infested hellscape frantically dodging the endless loving chargers

We'll give HD diff a shot tomorrow, I can't imagine it's much worse than what Impossible throws at you :shepface:

fwiw, the 'trick' is beeline the main objective because regardless of what happens after that you succeed - so the only reason to extract is if you're actually carrying a decent amount of supplies. otherwise you may as well go and clear every secondary objective and enemy base, and loot any secrets you spot for resources - there's no reason at all to extract if your group is capable of clearing all the secondaries reasonably quickly

you get real used to just dealing with literally endless waves of enemies, where on medium you'll often have lulls punctuated by mayhem, it's absolutely the opposite on hard, I was looking around nervous when we weren't getting besieged by multiple bile titans and chargers and mortars and and and

strongly recommend self sufficient setups like grenade launcher/supply pack, guard dog, etc, your strategem usage is very likely to be constrained because every mission on 8+ has double negative modifiers, enjoy your slower strategems + strategems scatter :v:

also I don't think any of us had more than 2 or 3 ship upgrades, and no one was level 20 yet, so that's not mandatory either assuming you're running with a group

it'll probably get slightly more sane once we have railguns again and some more ship upgrades + 4 boosters + everyone's preferred weapons in hand

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
First experience playing with random helldivers:
One dude immediately gibs a squadmate with a machine gun, then when we call in a reinforcement and the returning diver aims for me and kills me. I think that's a pretty good intro to the helldiver experience.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I got paid for the last mission including the daily. We collected so much stuff too.

I'm eagle man I've decided. All eagle all the time. Except for ahhh two minutes when it needs rearm lol.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
They should put the dodge mechanic from Callisto Protocol into this for those up-close moments.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I am extremely sympathetic to the poor devs for the tech troubles but it does suck to lose a pretty solid run. Disconnected from the host literally as the shuttle showed up in the sky and when it booted me to my solo game the shuttle just never showed up.

Bah.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

So, as a prospective buyer, I ask. how is it game?

Can anyone comment from the perspective of comparing it to DRG and Vermintide/Darktide?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Turin Turambar posted:

Can anyone comment from the perspective of comparing it to DRG and Vermintide/Darktide?

I don't play Vermintide or variants, in fact I rarely play any mp games. But DRG is the only multiplayer game I every really vibed with, I loved it. And this game gives me everything that one did and more. It's actually a bit funny how similar the two games are. It's a super rad, super addictive game. Fun to play with friends and strangers alike.

It's not perfect, I do wish there was a bit more to it. Definitely looking forward to more mission types, more weapons and stratagems, and hopefully another faction to fight against eventually. The mantling and climbing is jenky. Plus, it's so popular that it's kind of broken right now. And to be honest it's never been completely unbroken since launch day, but the servers are especially borked at the moment.

Still, I have absolutely no regrets about purchasing it. It's paid off that investment already and I can see myself playing many, many more hours.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Turin Turambar posted:

Think DRG in terms of gameplay flow (extract missions with one or more main/sub objectives randomly on a semi-random map), Vermintide/DT in terms of stress moments. I would say the strategem system is the only "novel" thing that doesn't really carry over from those games. You wanna kill and keep moving and not dick around killing breaches for 10 minutes - similar to dealing with swarms/hordes in *tide.

Outside of the matchmaking and some weird bluetooth issues as a longtime DRG/*tide vet I'm enjoying this a lot.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Game owns they just need to fix some teething problems.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Yeah a few missions in I think it's worth the price of admission for the standard edition at least. No idea how much of a grind progession is gonna be but the main loop seems fine. Definitely some jankiness/launch issues, like I just had a mission where it decided one of our squadmates couldn't respawn. We even had a total wipe that put everyone else back, but not them.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Having pushed through it, I don't think the premo Warbond is worth the cash. The big draws should be the weapons, but all three primaries are pretty flawed, the grenade is pretty useless. The pistol has a niche for ranged fire with a short primary, but the damage is middling and the reload is abysmal.

Edit: And the Booster only helps when you've lost all your reinforces. Just...don't do that?

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

raverrn posted:

Edit: And the Booster only helps when you've lost all your reinforces. Just...don't do that?

About half the pubbies Ive played with see "Orbital barrage incoming" and are drawn to it like a moth to a flame. It happens.

Orv
May 4, 2011

raverrn posted:

Having pushed through it, I don't think the premo Warbond is worth the cash. The big draws should be the weapons, but all three primaries are pretty flawed, the grenade is pretty useless. The pistol has a niche for ranged fire with a short primary, but the damage is middling and the reload is abysmal.

I feel like the weapons in the premium passes being cool but inefficient is infinitely preferable to the screaming that would - rightly - occur if they were complete powerhouses. Unless something changes drastically I’d only buy the premium war bonds for dress up and variety toys, which is how it should be.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Yeah there's always the chance they're useful when paired with other stuff later, and I absolutely prefer premium stuff like that to be cosmetic or marginal sidegrades than p2w.
Like the big allure should be "I like the look and this armor helps me cosplay as Michael Ironside's character from Starship Troopers"

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Incendiary Breaker looked pretty potent from where I was standing last night.

It's fair to say that the Premium Warbond stuff isn't game breaking, which is a good thing. People have complained - rightly or wrongly - that it's the only place you can even get incendiary stuff (including a grenade) at the moment.

I'd struggle to rustle up enough outrage for P2W in a 100% PVE game though.

Durzel fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Feb 12, 2024

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Breaker's definitely the least bad, but you lose out on almost half the base damage of the gun to pick up lighting people on fire. It absolutely misses some breakpoints in exchange for some enemies dying...sometimes...if you wait around long enough. And being a shotgun you can't even light people on fire while they're far away. You've gotta be up close and waiting around for it to tick.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

raverrn posted:

You can run into that in higher difficulty definitely.

Also Boosters apply to the whole party, and only one copy can be active at one time. So essentially by having at least 4 boosters unlocked, you'll be able to apply a buff that someone else in the party doesn't have. If everyone brings a different booster then the party is that much better off.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I could see the explosive/incendiary weapons from the premium track being theoretically useful for handling spewers and chargers freeing you up to use something like the stalwart or laser cannon for your support weapon slot. But even then it's hard to argue that just any old regular gun + recoilless/autocannon/disposable AT wouldn't overall work out better.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

I might be imagining but it seems like the explosive liberator stuns/staggers medium armored biggies more than the vanilla one?

I personally like the knight so I might just be That Guy.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Turin Turambar posted:

hits the pacing and map usage of DRG (tho without the verticality) with even better atmosphere than darktide. Darktide was super fun because the gameplay & atmosphere were so loving good but Fatshark screwed the pooch on pretty much everything else about the game. Arrowhead nailed the gameplay and atmosphere in Helldivers 2 and also seems to have done a good job with the rest of the game, networking & server issues aside.

DRG just gave you a loose map and objective locations to bounce around to; Darktide maps were more on rails tho with a few different routes. Helldivers maps are generally open for the time being and it's mostly up to you which objectives you complete in what order within the time given. it's worth the $40 if you liked DRG/Darktide

raverrn posted:

Breaker's definitely the least bad, but you lose out on almost half the base damage of the gun to pick up lighting people on fire. It absolutely misses some breakpoints in exchange for some enemies dying...sometimes...if you wait around long enough. And being a shotgun you can't even light people on fire while they're far away. You've gotta be up close and waiting around for it to tick.

the thing for me is that the standard Breaker seems so freakin good - the range is actually great and it does big damage to most stuff. Incendiary version loses what looks like a ton of range and has a ton more spread, and less damage. Seems really not too ideal in comparison.

idiotsavant fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Feb 12, 2024

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014
I was hemming and hawwing over this since I hadn't played a shooter heavily in a while but it owns

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Turin Turambar posted:

I'm a co-op brained gamer that has enjoyed all of those games. The most stand out thing to me about Helldivers 2 is that every player has access to ridiculously powerful airstrikes and turrets, and you need them to survive. It is quite spectacular when you have a full team unloading all of their stratagems.

When I first started playing I didn't think these things could be unlimited use (on a cooldown) because they are so powerful. Now, I see a patrol? You get an orbital gatling barrage. Coming up on a hive? Bring in the napalm. Enormous bug is crawling out of the ground? I'm calling in jets to drop a bomb so big on them it might kill me and my team but I know that bug is going down.

If you like games where you can drop in with randoms or friends and blast a map full of dudes, don't skip this one.

Just be aware that right now they're going through some growing pains in the form of issues logging in, matchmaking, and character progression not saving. I'm sure the game is WAY bigger than they expected based on the amount of people who played the first one. Keep in mind there is a whole Playstation playerbase as well and there's cross-play.

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Feb 12, 2024

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
Re. more factions, the first game had some techy alien guys with force fields. But also the current starmap appears to have space for 5 factions, so there may be concepts for 2 more mystery factions?

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Diephoon posted:

Just be aware that right now they're going through some growing pains in the form of issues logging in, matchmaking, and character progression not saving. I'm sure the game is WAY bigger than they expected based on the amount of people who played the first one. Keep in mind there is a whole Playstation playerbase as well and there's cross-play.

They said they hit 360k total at one point last night. The last game was a PS-exclusive for a while before it came to PC so it kind of flew under the radar for a long time, but suffice to say they are victims of their own success.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

raverrn posted:

I really like the grenade. In a holdout I spam them and everything burns.

E: I think fire overall isn't super useful, but maybe once we see new factions it will be. It used to stop the tech dudes using teleports in helldivers.