Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Unlucky7 posted:

Playing through the Yuffie DLC and I just remembered that they do not have Sonon playable, but they also have ability requirements such as "Land a finishing blow" for him.

So Syncro Attacks count towards that? Or do I basically need to baby the AI into doing it?

It's really easy by just using ATB commands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Caidin posted:

I can't wait for Tifa to have another improbable slow paced monkey bars segment

loving loved the BGM during that segment though.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

nine-gear crow posted:

My memories of Dirge are fuzzy but isn't she also Vincent's love interest in that game?

She somehow has access to Lucretia's memories and it influences her in some ways. Those include having a crush on Vincent and also somehow being able to transform into Lucretia at key moments. Which is.. uncomfortable to watch.. The whole deal is weird and wrong

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

I never played dirge of Cerberus, or anything beyond original ff7 for that matter, and when that poo poo all happened during integrade my brain just replaced all the nonsense with a pleasant hum while I enjoyed the gameplay.

If any of that nonsense is in rebirth I'm sure I'll handle it in the same way and be perfectly happy.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

it probably wont happen but i hope we get to gigadunk hojo

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
Nero in the DLC only really showed that deepground exists and was honestly fine for a game that had you fight Destiny ghosts

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Deepground might as well be a bunch of orcs swarming out of the earth as far as character goes but walking into that mess of neon tron lines and realizing what kinda stupid was about to get dunked on you was kind of great?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honestly if they remade DoC in the Remake style it probably would be a better game.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

The DoC guys showing up was okay, because they facilitated cool boss fights and talked about chuuni stuff for 30 seconds and did absolutely nothing else, which seems like the best use for them

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Minigames rule and I can't wait to unironically do every little bullshit task this game presents me.

IMO boring poo poo owns if the vibes are good (and FF7R has great vibes, mostly thanks to its soundtrack)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly if they remade DoC in the Remake style it probably would be a better game.

It would not surprise me if there is a Vincent and/or Cid-centric DLC similar to InterMISSION for Yuffie that comes out between Rebirth and Part 3, because it sounds like the two of them are gonna be popping in and out of the party compared to the rest of the characters over the course of Rebirth. I could see Square trying to tackle some Dirge material there rather than just remake the game entirely.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

Lid posted:

Can rebirth do one thing and kill off all the Dirge of Cerberus people because their appearance in the Yuffie DLC was the low point of the entire game. Holy gently caress do they suck.

Mods please ban this poo poo

This post has been brought to you by the Rosso the Crimson gang

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I'm still mad that they changed all of Shinra Tower for absolutely no good reason and made it drastically worse. That was one of the high points in the original game and it was supposed to be the climax of 7R.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
The great off screen avalanche raid was a decision, yeah. You wanna go loving riot on the gigantic corporate hubris tower like you've been waiting for all game? Too bad, somebody else is doing that entirely off screen and outside of one helicopter you'll never even get to see them. Have an hour with Professor Hojo, and you don't even get to watch him be casually mauled.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I mean it isn't really hugely different from the original game except that Hojo's Lab goes from like one boss fight to a final dungeon.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

They kept the stairs which is frankly the most important part of Shinra Tower before meeting the president.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

They kept the stairs which is frankly the most important part of Shinra Tower before meeting the president.

They made the stairs even better. Honestly, I love the visual and sound design for the upper section of the stairs because it makes it seem like you yourself are having a stroke after walking up 60+ flights of stairs in real life.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

ImpAtom posted:

It would be difficult for them to make it worse…

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
If you preorder the twinpack, does integrade unlock now?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
In the original game Barret decides to go invade the world ruling corporation's HQ with maybe a bit of a token attempt at stealth if the player chooses to go for it, then you immediately get captured, mocked, thrown in jail, and sentenced to death because come on how exactly did you think that one was going to go down? Aerith talks about her past a bit and you go to sleep, then you wake up to see your jail cell is open, blood is smeared everywhere, there's freaky mutants on the loose and some really creepy music is playing. The king of this all-powerful world ruling corporation is lying in his office dead, killed by a guy who has only been mentioned in passing until now and who still has not even appeared on screen. Then Rufus shows up to step into the power vacuum, everybody high-tails it out of there in the highway chase minigame, and finally you are dumped into the world map. It's a brisk and emotionally-charged rollercoaster that introduces the story's first big twist and makes a big step towards hyping up the ultimate villain purely by implication.

Remake's version, well, doesn't go like that, the tight pacing and creepiness is replaced by the party getting locked into Hojo's inexplicable multi-story funhouse in the middle of Shinra HQ for a few hours, then there's some time ghost nonsense. And some pointless monkey bars sequence in the lobby. And instead of getting jailed you go hang out in Aerith's old cell willingly and have that conversation there. A great section from the original is replaced by something tedious, boring, and stupid (but enough about my posts). About the only thing that was improved was the 1v1 against Rufus, but that's not a high bar to clear, and the combat system in 7R is definitely its strongest feature.

The rest of 7R is still good but it kind of failed to stick the landing in a big way.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sapozhnik posted:

In the original game Barret decides to go invade the world ruling corporation's HQ with maybe a bit of a token attempt at stealth if the player chooses to go for it, then you immediately get captured, mocked, thrown in jail, and sentenced to death because come on how exactly did you think that one was going to go down? Aerith talks about her past a bit and you go to sleep, then you wake up to see your jail cell is open, blood is smeared everywhere, there's freaky mutants on the loose and some really creepy music is playing. The king of this all-powerful world ruling corporation is lying in his office dead, killed by a guy who has only been mentioned in passing until now and who still has not even appeared on screen. Then Rufus shows up to step into the power vacuum, everybody high-tails it out of there in the highway chase minigame, and finally you are dumped into the world map. It's a brisk and emotionally-charged rollercoaster that introduces the story's first big twist and makes a big step towards hyping up the ultimate villain purely by implication.

Remake's version, well, doesn't go like that, the tight pacing and creepiness is replaced by the party getting locked into Hojo's inexplicable multi-story funhouse in the middle of Shinra HQ for a few hours, then there's some time ghost nonsense. And some pointless monkey bars sequence in the lobby. And instead of getting jailed you go hang out in Aerith's old cell willingly and have that conversation there. A great section from the original is replaced by something tedious, boring, and stupid (but enough about my posts). About the only thing that was improved was the 1v1 against Rufus, but that's not a high bar to clear, and the combat system in 7R is definitely its strongest feature.

The rest of 7R is still good but it kind of failed to stick the landing in a big way.

I think you're forgetting the like 4-5 different goofy minigames and puzzles before you get caught in the original. Like it isn't like 'do a goofy minigame to get stuff' wasn't right out of the original.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I'm not sure why we're spoilering bits from the first part of the remake and/or bits the remake has gone past.

I agree that I thought they did flub that eerie feeling from getting out of the jail cell and following the blood trail personally. The one part of the game they didn't nail in the transition, just imo.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I don't know about spoilers either but Finding President Shinra already impaled on Sephiroth's sword was a big shock in the first as well, and instead you get the weird confrontation, Barett getting "killed" which I guess is meant to show you the Whsipers are here for timeline reasons, then a JENOVA fight which is cool but I don't know. I guess it's a function of the original doing a lot through implication and relatively simple graphics that the remake tries to handle with dialogue but the whole back part of the game where characters should be asking pointed questions about what the gently caress is going on kind of gets vague responses from Cloud/Aerith/Red XIII that aren't really convincing.

I think the issue is that at the pace all this crazy poo poo that happens i0n the last bit of Remake should probably have party members demanding an explanation like they get in Kalm earlier, but since they're sticking to the major story beats of the original they still hold off until Kalm to have the big explanation of what the hell is going on and it just feels weird.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Feb 12, 2024

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Sapozhnik posted:

I agree and while I think the game is very good I will champion the opinion that it would have been fine as a straightforward remake that kept the same plot structure

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It would still have been a good game but I think it would have been a lesser one since it would have gone from a game with twists and surprises to effectively what they've done with some popular book-to-movie things and just been divided a story that you already know into multiple parts. Still fun, but a lot less distinct as its own thing.

It'd be funny if they release a FFRemake Classic where they just sell the game again but with everything that wasn't in the original cut out.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Feb 12, 2024

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

It would still have been a good game but I think it would have been a lesser one since it would have gone from a game with twists and surprises to effectively what they've done with some popular book-to-movie things and just been divided a story that you already know into multiple parts. Still fun, but a lot less distinct as its own thing.

the problem i have with this idea is that it is only true for people who actually played the original ff7, which is basically from gaming antiquity at this point. remake is more interesting to me than it would have been otherwise but i think it is both A: not as good a story as the original(though I have to reserve final judgment on that until the end of part 3, obviously) and B: essentially requires you to have played the original game for it to be coherent. like i have had a number of people ask me "should I play the ff7 remake?" and when I respond with "well, it's not really a remake so you kind of have to play the original one first" i see the interest drain from their eyes in real time as the prospect of digging up a game from the 1990s with an iffy translation and badly-aged graphics sinks in

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

cock hero flux posted:

the problem i have with this idea is that it is only true for people who actually played the original ff7, which is basically from gaming antiquity at this point. remake is more interesting to me than it would have been otherwise but i think it is both A: not as good a story as the original(though I have to reserve final judgment on that until the end of part 3, obviously) and B: essentially requires you to have played the original game for it to be coherent. like i have had a number of people ask me "should I play the ff7 remake?" and when I respond with "well, it's not really a remake so you kind of have to play the original one first" i see the interest drain from their eyes in real time as the prospect of digging up a game from the 1990s with an iffy translation and badly-aged graphics sinks in

I am torn because while I prefer the structure of the original game, I think 7R just does so much better with the character and worldbuilding outside of the Whispers stuff. Biggs, Jesse and Wedge went from effectively cannon fodder to people's favorite characters, side characters are given more of a place in the world, and in general a lot of effort is put into making things flow together better without losing the charm and goofiness of the original. It doesn't replace the original and I think that's genuinely okay when you're discussing a game like FF7 where it is still one of the most recognizable games ever and where 95% of it stands alone fine no matter if you're a newcomer or not.

But then again I like stuff like Rebuild of Eva or Scott Pilgrim Strikes Back, so the meta aspect doesn't bother me. If they weren't absolutely loving nailing it with everything so far I'd probably feel a lot less confident about it, but they've done so much right that to be honest I think I would rather replay the remake than the original so far.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I am torn because while I prefer the structure of the original game, I think 7R just does so much better with the character and worldbuilding outside of the Whispers stuff. Biggs, Jesse and Wedge went from effectively cannon fodder to people's favorite characters, side characters are given more of a place in the world, and in general a lot of effort is put into making things flow together better without losing the charm and goofiness of the original. It doesn't replace the original and I think that's genuinely okay when you're discussing a game like FF7 where it is still one of the most recognizable games ever and where 95% of it stands alone fine no matter if you're a newcomer or not.
sure but that's also all the stuff you could still do while mostly retaining the original plot structure. that's all plot expansion, basically. you still go from A to B to C and end up at D. maybe you spend 4 hours at B instead of 30 minutes, and maybe C plays out a little bit differently and maybe you take a pitstop at A+ for a few minutes, but you still end up at D and it's pretty much the same.

remake is like that except that you go A to B to C to Δ and you're not quite sure how you got there or what's happening but you're going to start the next game at E anyway although the trailers have like, β in them somehow

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

DalaranJ posted:

If you preorder the twinpack, does integrade unlock now?

yup-- i picked it up the other day to finally play through InterMISSION

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I don't think we would have gotten a game at all since it seems no one on cthe creative team was interested in just doing the same story over

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Blockhouse posted:

I don't think we would have gotten a game at all since it seems no one on cthe creative team was interested in just doing the same story over

Nor should they be. The og story is good but it also leans heavily on the whole ‘we can only do so much’ crutch that old games all have. But if they just expanded on the existing story a little and built that out they ran the risk of not doing anything worthwhile and being derided for rehashing the same well trod path like so many remake or reboot movies/tv shows. Making it their own thing and seeming to tie that into a meta-meta narrative with the whispers lets them do something new while still playing out the same general strokes.

I mean, midgar is like 4 hours max in the og.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Lot of chatter about new leaks but I haven't actually found any. So be careful if you're avoiding them and also send them to me if you find them!

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I’ve read them and they feel like utter bullshit. Though there’s one image out in the wild that may be legit.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Seriously, go in surprised

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I've seen the trophy list but that's all I'm looking at

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Epi Lepi posted:

Lot of chatter about new leaks but I haven't actually found any. So be careful if you're avoiding them and also send them to me if you find them!

Everyone but Aerith dies and the third game is now a remake of that one Princess Peach game from a few years back.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

The plot twist is that this time it's just the kind of dead a Phoenix Down cures and the gang all has a laugh about it later at a bar

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

Sapozhnik posted:

I'm still mad that they changed all of Shinra Tower for absolutely no good reason and made it drastically worse. That was one of the high points in the original game and it was supposed to be the climax of 7R.

I definitely like that Horror element. It's like in Silent Hill 2 where you think you're in a bad nightmare apartment building full of twisted monsters and then you come into contact with Pyramid Head.

Thing is, I think the game knows-you-know that things aren't playing out 1 to 1, and it even spills the beans ... Guy who kills President Shinra is just a mook with a tattoo on his hand. You fight Jenova, for some reason, in shinra tower. There's Whispers everywhere

The game wants you to know that the wheels have come of the train, and we're careening into unfamiliar territory.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
I think Shinra Tower was fine. I liked the Drum and I liked the practical view at ordinary Shinra folks, most of whom were just trying to get through the day or even poor Reeve's department frantically trying to do damage control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I get not liking the Shinra building changes but they're definitely not for no reason. It's extrapolating what's basically an end of act 1 checkpoint in the original game into a final dungeon for a standalone title.