Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Sickening posted:

I judge a coffers player by the quality of their basics.

I’m using the planet swamp from unfinity. I kind of want to upgrade Urborg/coffers to the LOTR versions and use the map basics, but can’t really justify the $25 extra for each Urborg. Also one player audibly groaned when he read my old border excessive text Karn. Which is when I think I functionally won that round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Just wait until Return to Lorwyn introduces a heretofore unknown class of real estate oligarchs so they can put out a Magic themed Monopoly boxset.

They all have "Lands you control get +1/+1."

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

All lands you control are supposed to get at most +3/+3 per year, but somehow it's more like +10 or +15

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Mix. posted:

i really hate the new secret lair system. who gives a gently caress if you had to wait for your cards to be delivered. its legitimately frustrating that because they release a lair before i get paid next there's a non-zero chance it gets scalped/sold out before i could feasibly buy it, and the card prices are gonna be jacked up on the secondary market so just buying the singles isnt worth it. if they really wanted to make people complaining happy they couldve just pre-printed a set amount and then kept the print to demand for the rest of the time period.

The new secret lair system, which was justified by getting cards out faster, doesn't begin shipping in the US for another month. It doesn't begin shipping in the UK until April 12th! Nothing has been changed in terms of delivery time.

wei
Jul 27, 2006

Fritzler posted:

Just finished day one of my first regional championships. I am playing coffers and barely qualified for day 2 at 6-3. Pretty proud for my first one. I am 5-0 against cascade (3 rhinos, 2 living end), beat the new Leyline domain, but lost to yawg twice and Murktide once (and the Murktide loss was so close). Been a fun but very long day.

hell yeah, hope you keep crushing day 2

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Fritzler posted:

I’m using the planet swamp from unfinity. I kind of want to upgrade Urborg/coffers to the LOTR versions and use the map basics, but can’t really justify the $25 extra for each Urborg. Also one player audibly groaned when he read my old border excessive text Karn. Which is when I think I functionally won that round.

Good luck today

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Also squeaked in at 6-3. Playing a borrowed rhinos deck I didn’t change from the 75 handed to me in the deck box. I drove 2 hours to night ski for 2 hours then drove back and slept 2 hours. God is good getting to do all my favorite things in a day

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

resistentialism posted:

All lands you control are supposed to get at most +3/+3 per year, but somehow it's more like +10 or +15

Squatters Rights
Enchantment
You and Permanente you control have 'Protection from Lands'

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Squatters Rights
Enchantment
You and Permanente you control have 'Protection from Lands'

After Ramunap Ruins got banned and Faceless Haven got... something I forget what, put that on a WW 2/3 with Vigilance and you have yourself a card.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Fuckin Landlord Changed the Locks! 1WW

Enchantment

Players can't activate abilities of lands unless they're mana abilities

Lands entering or leaving the battlefield can't trigger abilities

If a mana ability of a land would add two or more mana, it adds (C) instead.

Edit: this was a joke but I realized it fucks amulet titan and lotus field combo so I want it to be real now

Silhouette fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Feb 11, 2024

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Make it 3 or 4 colorless and be "Landlord's Lock" so everyone can get in on it

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I really like it without the last line, if only because that one is replacing something and the landlock theme feels best for just limiting. I don't think I've seen doublemana land in Standard, if there is one, but there are wincon lands out there and that card might save you dying to a Manchurian candidate factory/vine/house.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

I ended 10-4. Lost my second round of the day. Thought I would have a chance for top 64 or maybe 48 if I kept playing. No such luck. Ended 80 something, got nothing. I did learn a lot and hopefully am becoming a better player. Especially since modern is prob my least played format (cuz not on arena and I refuse to mtgo), hope I can qual for denver and do better.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Aggressive Auditor 2WR

Creature - Human Detective Advisor 2/4

When Aggressive Auditor enters the battlefield, destroy all Treasure tokens in play. For each Treasure token destroyed by this effect, Investigate.

Mana abilities of nonland permanents can't be activated. If a player would add mana from a source other than the mana ability of a land, they lose one life instead.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Everyone would just sac them in response to the ETB.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Aphrodite posted:

And billionaires sock their money away in shell companies and offshore accounts before it can be properly taxed, but either way, it's no longer readily available for their use. The second effect is the main one, the rest just seemed flavorful.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
That's why you play Tolarian Tax Shelter that gives all your noncreature tokens Indestructible.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
So, rules question: does turning a face-down disguised card face-up count as 'casting a card from outside the hand'?

I won a prerelease pack at the local commander night, and if that works how I hope, there's some fun synergy to be had with my Thirteenth Doctor deck.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

Aphrodite posted:

Sanctuary (as long as this spell is on the stack players can't sacrifice permanents)

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Cleretic posted:

So, rules question: does turning a face-down disguised card face-up count as 'casting a card from outside the hand'?

I won a prerelease pack at the local commander night, and if that works how I hope, there's some fun synergy to be had with my Thirteenth Doctor deck.

It does not, sorry

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

Cleretic posted:

So, rules question: does turning a face-down disguised card face-up count as 'casting a card from outside the hand'

No, turning up a creature is not casting it. It also doesn't trigger "enters the battlefield" effects. It's a special action on a permanent that is already in play, and doesn't involve changing zones or casting.

Disguise could be used at any point you can cast from exile, but there's no added benefit to a deck that cares about it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

It does not, sorry

generatrix posted:

No, turning up a creature is not casting it. It also doesn't trigger "enters the battlefield" effects. It's a special action on a permanent that is already in play, and doesn't involve changing zones or casting.

Disguise could be used at any point you can cast from exile, but there's no added benefit to a deck that cares about it.

drat. A little disappointing, but on review, I think disguise would be a bit slow for her anyway. And prone to backfiring; you don't want your cascades and topdeck casts to be the cards you intend to get cast from elsewhere by other means.

Oh well, I've got Warleader's Call and a few ugly red buffs, so my goad deck's getting way pricklier anyway.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Cleretic posted:

drat. A little disappointing, but on review, I think disguise would be a bit slow for her anyway. And prone to backfiring; you don't want your cascades and topdeck casts to be the cards you intend to get cast from elsewhere by other means.

Oh well, I've got Warleader's Call and a few ugly red buffs, so my goad deck's getting way pricklier anyway.

The upside is that you don't have to skip two turns when you flip Eater of Days.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
I think I made the right call in picking up a playset of Cryptic Coat at $1.24/ea. It isn’t on the same level as the Tishana’s that I got for ~$4/ea but it looks like Coat is going to see play and is probably going to settle at more than a buck fifty. Now if life could throw me a bone and give me some breathing room to actually play Magic that would be nice…

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
If you have the borderless b/g surveil land, i would not sell it just yet. All the copies less than 20 bucks just got snatched up on tcgplayer.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Turns out a better temple that you can fetch is pretty good!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If it enters tapped it’s literal garbage imo

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Aphrodite posted:

If it enters tapped it’s literal garbage imo

Yeah, totally agree friend. If you could mail me the copies you're going to throw out tho that'd be cool.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Its also time to dust off the counterbalances. Don't ask, its a long story.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
RC Ottawa tournament report:

Deck: uw hammer

Creatures:

4 ornithopter
4 esper sentinel
2 giver of runes
4 stoneforge mystic
4 puresteel paladin
1 invisible stalker
1 gingerbrute
(20)

Instant:
2 spell pierce
2 surge of salvation
(4)

Enchantment:
4 Sigarda’s aid
1 forge anew
(5)

Artifact:
4 colossus hammer
2 springleaf drum
1 kaldra compleat
1 shadowspear
1 nettlecyst
(9)

Land:
4 urzas saga
4 plains
4 flooded strand
3 inkmoth nexus
2 hallowed fountain
2 seachrome coast
2 marsh flats
1 arid Mesa
(22)

(60)

Sideboard:
2 cursed totem
2 path to exile
2 sanctifier en vec
2 Lavinia, azorius renegade
2 March if otherworldly light
1 manriki gusari
1 spell pierce
1 surge of salvation
1 pithing needle
1 relic of progenitus
(15)

R1 vs amulet titan (no force of vigor)
Win die roll
Win 2-1

G1: we both keep seven and we both have the t3 but my t3 comes before opponents

G2: I mull to 6 and keep a hand with 2 sidebars cards. Opponent also has two sideboard cards but he draws titan and I draw lands

G3: I keep 7 opponent mulligans to 5. Esper sentinel swings for 22 trample lifelink. Opponent keeps a hand with not great mana but you have to keep what you’ve got sometimes

R2 vs 4c Leyline rhinos
Win die roll
Lose 0-2

G1: it’s the new hotness deck. G1 I’m favored if I draw any equipment or any way to equip. Opponent hardcasts Leyline of the guild pact then triple Scion, bad for me. Long back and forth game. Surge of salvation over performs. Drew too many lands

G2: another long grindy game that I can’t close out. Draw too many lands again. Opponent has the t0 Leyline but I still almost get it. Bait doesn’t work and scion of Draco wins again. Sanctifier and surge overperform again.

R3 vs yawgmoth
Win die roll
Win 2-1

G1: I see no hammer but Sigarda’s aid thopter puresteel nettlecyst is in the opener. Nettlethopter chunks in and then I have enough toughness to prevent thopter dying to yawg when I put the lethal hammer on the stack

G2: opponent presents a combo and I mull to 6 with no sideboard cards

G3: opponent makes a misplay after destroying my cursed totem by tapping out with haywire mite in play which lets me march it then he makes a second misplay and forgets about needle on yawg and taps out so inkmoth gets in for the kill. I also make a misplay and miss lethal for a turn like an idiot but luckily I don’t get punished

R4 vs murktide
Lose die roll
Win 2-1

G1: it’s the urzas saga show. I don’t see a paladin or sugardas aid but shadowspear onto a big construct with 3 other constructs lets me force through lethal with surprise inkmoth activations.

G2: opponent counters my turn 2, 3, and 4 plays and then I draw lands and none of them are sagas and I get beat down

G3: an absolute slog where I finally get in with my third attempt at putting hammer on inkmoth nexus. It takes forever but it works.

R5 vs grixis wizards
Win die roll
Lose 1-2
A team kill

G1: tidebinder puts in work along with molten collapse and I get buried under removal

G2: ring deals most of the damage to my opponent then they tap out to deal with sanctifier and I get the window with moth

G3: I think I misplay by not playing into damnation. I should have played a bit more defensively and I may have been able to steal a win. Instead I lose to double bolt while at 6. Whoops

R6 vs temur rhinos (no Leyline)
Opponent is late and eats a game loss
Win 2-0

G1: opponent 4 minutes late because melee is garbage

G2: put hammer on esper sentinel win game. Opponent on play no sideboard due to tardy penalty.

R7 vs temur rhinos
Lose die roll
Lose 0-2

G1: opponent mulls to 6 and has the t3 shardless and swings for 10 twice with removal backup for my blockers

G2: I make a misplay deep in this game by not equipping nettlecyst to force an issue and opponent capitalizes by drawing flame of anor into 2x force of vigor to deal with lethal attackers 3 turns in a row.

R8 vs temur rhinos
Lose die roll
Lose 1-2

G1: opponent goes wide with 6 rhinos but can’t swing into the 11/11 esper sentinel. Eventually opponent has no cards in hand and I suit up the gingerbrute

G2: opponent has the t3 shardless and i don’t have pierce. Swing ten swing ten

G3: opponent has a sicko 7 keep. Gemstone cavern into the t3 cascade which I pierce. Into brotherhoods end into brotherhoods end into another shardless no day two *sad trombone*

Event review: felt great about the meta until I played against rhinos back to back to back lol.

Made some misplays, had a good time. Got to visit a bunch of cool museums by missing day 2.

Could this round of RC’s get violent outburst banned? Probably not.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

EclecticTastes posted:

Aggressive Auditor 2WR

Creature - Human Detective Advisor 2/4

When Aggressive Auditor enters the battlefield, destroy all Treasure tokens in play. For each Treasure token destroyed by this effect, Investigate.

Mana abilities of nonland permanents can't be activated. If a player would add mana from a source other than the mana ability of a land, they lose one life instead.

Just add "Opponent's cannot sacrifice artifacts while ~ is on the stack or on the battlefield.."

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Give it Disguise. Turning it face up is a special action that doesn't use the stack, so the continuous effect is just suddenly active.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Give it the mana burn effect. "A player losing unspent mana causes that player to lose that much life."

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

LifeLynx posted:

Give it Disguise. Turning it face up is a special action that doesn't use the stack, so the continuous effect is just suddenly active.

nice

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

LifeLynx posted:

That's a pretty good idea, I'd been wondering if there were a way to avoid the stack.

Also, finished the ARG and I knew Niv-Mizzet was involved somehow. I suppose Lazav's involvement was purely as a background figure, and it's possible Etrata is still working for him (given the implication that she knows he's alive). Still not sure why he's suddenly a Detective, but maybe he was conducting his own investigation into the murders, seeing as one of his agents got caught up in it.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

EclecticTastes posted:

That's a pretty good idea, I'd been wondering if there were a way to avoid the stack.

Also, finished the ARG and I knew Niv-Mizzet was involved somehow. I suppose Lazav's involvement was purely as a background figure, and it's possible Etrata is still working for him (given the implication that she knows he's alive). Still not sure why he's suddenly a Detective, but maybe he was conducting his own investigation into the murders, seeing as one of his agents got caught up in it.

Does the ARG reveal anything about what Lazav's deal is? There's a card in MKM (Behind the Mask) that shows some kind of face-changing robot in the same outfit as Lazav with the same glowing eyes, but no further information to clarify if that is actually Lazav, a decoy, or some generic Dimir robot.

Also how was Niv-Mizzet involved?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Mat Cauthon posted:

Does the ARG reveal anything about what Lazav's deal is? There's a card in MKM (Behind the Mask) that shows some kind of face-changing robot in the same outfit as Lazav with the same glowing eyes, but no further information to clarify if that is actually Lazav, a decoy, or some generic Dimir robot.

Also how was Niv-Mizzet involved?

https://magic.wizards.com/en/news/magic-story/episode-11-portents-and-omens

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Solving the arg gets some arena prizes looks like:

https://x.com/fireshoes/status/1757854452462108787?s=46&t=Xg0kIo-qK4prgu9vM_dqTw

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Mezzanon posted:

Solving the arg gets some arena prizes looks like:

I think that's really neat :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

What's unusual is that the sleeve is just some repurposed promo art for New Capenna, rather than anything Ravnica-related. What is that meant to imply? :tinfoil: