Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

trevorreznik posted:

So for risk reward, here's a question. In the second half, why even bother sending a punt team back? You aren't going to get a big return, it seems like the risk is a punter kicking it to bounce to the 1, vs a fumble.

because you might get a big return

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
You'll stare directly at the ringz but never in a mirror

it must be exhausting always rooting for the antihero

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

indigi posted:

because you might get a big return

You could also just block the punt. This is for teams trying to protect a lead like the 49ers where that fumble changed all momentum.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
yeah... but you could get a big return, which is more likely than a fumble/block

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Whoa there motherfucker.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Chiefs Defense, take a bow! What a masterpiece of a playoff run. Shut down the 70-point Tua Dolphins, kept Josh Allen in check sorta, completely stymied the "MVP" in his house, and put the All-Pro littered Shanahan offense in a blender.

Spagnuolo best DC in the league. What adjustments. What blitzes. Fearless Cover 0 pressure in key 3rd downs in the SUPER BOWL.

L'Jarius Sneed and Trent McDuffie. What absolute studs. What dogs! Has there been a better CB duo in recorded human history?

Chris Jones. What a prime stud. One of the most legendary Chiefs of my lifetime. Serving up Trent Williams flapjacks!

The linebackers known as Nick Bolton, Leo Chanel, Willie Gay, Drue Tranquill. 4 absolute studs. Prime and elite. Leo Chanel had an incredible Super Bowl.

The man known as Furious George Karlaftis. A top 10 pass rusher already? 2 Super Bowl rings already? What a first round KC had picking up him and Stud Trent McDuffie.

The rest of the secondary.......Justin Reid, Chamarri Conner, Justin Watson, Mike Edwards, Joshua Williams. Great job. Wonderful performance. Studs all around.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
My man CEH has two rings.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Radia posted:

okay. sincerepost time

go to loving therapy if you're depressionposting or bloodrageposting about a loving TV show. jesus christ. or see a psych. both preferably! seek self healing as best you can !! dont think this is normal bc sport! gah

Forreal lmao

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

I've said it repeatedly and I'll say it again, it's very unfair that Mahomes has that defense :smith:

MVP almost always goes to a QB but he definitely earned it last night.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
On one hand I'm sad that the season is over but on the other I'm glad I don't have to listen to Tony Romo for a few months

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Hot Diggity! posted:

On one hand I'm sad that the season is over but on the other I'm glad I don't have to listen to Tony Romo for a few months

leverage

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

Bellmaker posted:

I've said it repeatedly and I'll say it again, it's very unfair that Mahomes has that defense :smith:

MVP almost always goes to a QB but he definitely earned it last night.

It should go to Spags since no one defender was especially dominant. But Mahomes does deserve it. That last drive in OT to get the TD was pure willpower by him, a classic finish. 330 yards passing and like 70 yards rushing.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS
nick bosa gonna storm the capital again to overturn the results of the game

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

That show was great.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
In the first half there was a bit where I thought we were going to get a sickos Superbowl with a total score under 10 pts.

It swung way the other way late in the game.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

shirts and skins posted:

You'll stare directly at the ringz but never in a mirror

it must be exhausting always rooting for the antihero

:hmmyes:

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Until the third quarter you could have almost justified giving mvp to a special teams player.

Technowrite
Jan 18, 2006

I first battled the Metroids on Planet Zebes.
Nickelodeon made that broadcast 100 percent more bearable thanks to no politics and no Jesus foot fetish ads.

"Does anyone need a MAP to the ENDZONE?" killed me, though.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I hadn't heard Romo in a while, and it was shocking how much shittier he's become at every facet of his job.

He went from "flawed but fun" to HOLY poo poo SHUT THE gently caress UP, oof.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Don't know why, but it *just* hit me that the super bowl overtime rules were different, where even if SF scored a touchdown on that overtime possession, it wouldn't end the game.

Basically swung my logic, don't really have a problem with Shanahan kicking the field goal. Defense just didn't make a stop and rip

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://twitter.com/SharpFootball/status/1756891154132431320

https://twitter.com/ArifHasanNFL/status/1757013523966697923

These both seem like coaching issues to me.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

facialimpediment posted:

Don't know why, but it *just* hit me that the super bowl overtime rules were different, where even if SF scored a touchdown on that overtime possession, it wouldn't end the game.

Basically swung my logic, don't really have a problem with Shanahan kicking the field goal. Defense just didn't make a stop and rip

I actually just realized that SF screwed up by receiving first because of this. If they kicked and KC gets a TD, at least now you know you have to get a TD too.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

facialimpediment posted:

Crazy that the new rules were instituted after the Bills lost to the Chiefs in the 13 Seconds game, and that the first team to benefit from them was the Chiefs

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

facialimpediment posted:

The rules in the playoffs were always a little different than the regular season, in that they cannot end in a tie. The only real change this year is that a TD on the first drive didn't end the game anymore. They didn't want this to happen again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMVnLsODqqg

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Black Lighter posted:

Crazy that the new rules were instituted after the Bills lost to the Chiefs in the 13 Seconds game, and that the first team to benefit from them was the Chiefs

Chiefs would have won with the old ot rules too, just not the older ot rules.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Bip Roberts posted:

Chiefs would have won with the old ot rules too, just not the older ot rules.

Chiefs win with any post 2011 OT rules. That's the first year they made it so both teams are guaranteed a possession unless the first team scores a TD. That base rule is still in play for the regular season but not in the playoffs.

Prior to 2011, 49ers win on the first possession field goal.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Kyle Shanahan not having his team up on the Super Bowl overtime rules is an all-timer

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

shyduck posted:

Kyle Shanahan not having his team up on the Super Bowl overtime rules is an all-timer

This reminds me of Donovan McNabb not realizing that you could tie in the regular season in OT until a game ended like that while he was on offense.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

one of the key building blocks of a Dynasty is having a bunch of your postseason opponents make silly mistakes like this at the most crucial moments

truly a Pats 2.0 era we're living in

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Black Lighter posted:

Almost like the problem was never with the overtime rules lol

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

This reminds me of Donovan McNabb not realizing that you could tie in the regular season in OT until a game ended like that while he was on offense.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYqwZRVQ6eg

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
https://x.com/610SportsKC/status/1756903211921993802?s=20

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Next year I hope they change the rules back and a team runs out of time thinking it was this year's rules.

It would be the greatest moment of clown ball.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

facialimpediment posted:

Wasn't it an OT loss by the Chiefs to the Patriots a couple years ago that finally spurred that rule change? I remember watching some playoff game in a bar in 2018(?) where Pats/Chiefs went to OT. I turned around to talk to someone and when I turned back around the game was over because Pats got the ball and just ran it in on like the second play and ended the game.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Every Super Bowl should have a new mystery rule, kinda like the Iron Chef mystery ingredient

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Grateful Brock Purdy isn't good enough to see Aiyuk open here to win the game

https://twitter.com/benbbaldwin/status/1757050362828030440?s=19

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Wasn't it an OT loss by the Chiefs to the Patriots a couple years ago that finally spurred that rule change? I remember watching some playoff game in a bar in 2018(?) where Pats/Chiefs went to OT. I turned around to talk to someone and when I turned back around the game was over because Pats got the ball and just ran it in on like the second play and ended the game.

No, that did happen. But then in the offseason the Chiefs proposed a rule change to allow both teams to possess in OT and it got voted down.

The following year the Bills didn’t get a chance to touch it in OT in the divisional round and the rule was changed that offseason.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
The only good justification for the 49ers receiving there is that their defense had just been on the field for a drive and were clearly pretty gassed

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Bird in a Blender posted:

I actually just realized that SF screwed up by receiving first because of this. If they kicked and KC gets a TD, at least now you know you have to get a TD too.

Eh, the 49ers D was beyond gassed and had literally just given up the game tying FG to go to OT, so I can see choosing to receive if only to buy your D a breather.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

Harlock posted:

Grateful Brock Purdy isn't good enough to see Aiyuk open here to win the game

https://twitter.com/benbbaldwin/status/1757050362828030440?s=19

McDuffie with the blitz and pass deflection, saving the game. He had Deebo Samuel in HELL all night, clamped down.

https://x.com/Chiefs/status/1756835447903567994?s=20

Trent McDuffie