Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin
Definitely second customs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010

Jakosa posted:

I hit level 21 and can't go to Ground Zero anymore. The only map I feel like I know.

What's a good map to learn after that? I liked that Ground Zero was relatively small but still big enough that I could do runs without running into anyone when I wanted to avoid combat.

Probably suggested a lot, but this is a helpful stie for learning the maps:

https://mapgenie.io/tarkov/maps/customs

While i'm here, is there a difference between the kinds of items that you get from the scav case depending on whether you use moonshine, intel, or cash?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
customs has a bunch of tasks but you're a lot better off learning streets or woods given that both of those. those two are good for basically every kind of gear and ammo, rubles, meds, and if you're new, have a lot of ways to disengage or flank

like if you're maining a map just because it has a lot of tasks, have fun maining shoreline and lighthouse lol

RobotsLoveSpectres
Dec 29, 2008
Haven't played in a couple wipes and on my very first run the first thing I looted was a LEDX

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Herstory Begins Now posted:

customs has a bunch of tasks but you're a lot better off learning streets or woods given that both of those. those two are good for basically every kind of gear and ammo, rubles, meds, and if you're new, have a lot of ways to disengage or flank

like if you're maining a map just because it has a lot of tasks, have fun maining shoreline and lighthouse lol

Customs is also still heavy in people running around with shotguns, scav vests and funny hats. its not a fun experience for the person wearing the funny hat, and even worse for a brand new newbie

Jakosa
Dec 28, 2021
I did a scav run on Customs, trying to get to know the map.

I killed a player with a tricked out AKS-74U with *three* flashlights. Is that a thing?

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007
I wanted a big red title but I'm getting a small white one instead.

Jakosa posted:

I killed a player with a tricked out AKS-74U with *three* flashlights. Is that a thing?

It's kind of a thing--more flashlights is more blinding power. But more likely (especially if this was daytime) I bet he had just found one or two of those lights in raid and stuck it on the gun to save inventory slots.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Jakosa posted:

as a proponent of learning customs b/c it's a great map with a good mix of loot, pvp action, etc., one thing I'll say is that while scavving is a good idea and will let you learn the map geography it won't let you know spawn timing/map flow, which is really, really, really important for Customs in particular b/c the "safe"/dangerous areas can be very different as a PMC spawning in vs. a scav joining halfway through a raid

that's true of every map ofc, but it's exacerbated on customs due to both the design (size/spawn locations/lanes) and level of familiarity much of the playerbase has with the map due to its tenure and importance to early questing, and you can end up in trouble if you don't know that your spawn is one that often pushes/is pushed for pvp early in a raid (particularly around big red/the customs office)

none of this should dissuade you from exploring/learning the map, just saying not to get discouraged if your scav/PMC experience differs and you have some rough early going as a PMC (again, true on every map, just potentially magnified on Customs)

e:

Vayra posted:

It's kind of a thing--more flashlights is more blinding power. But more likely (especially if this was daytime) I bet he had just found one or two of those lights in raid and stuck it on the gun to save inventory slots.
almost certainly that, though some people also occasionally run 3 lasers as a gimmick/for better visibility (sort of looks like the predator) - but that's usually done with TBLs for cost, and obviously is significantly worse than it used to be given the changes to pointfire

LGD fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Feb 11, 2024

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

do purchases made through traders increase your rep with them?

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

ROFLburger posted:

do purchases made through traders increase your rep with them?

No, only completing tasks will do that. Money spent/items sold does help you level them up though (obviously)

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer

Incoming Chinchilla posted:

While i'm here, is there a difference between the kinds of items that you get from the scav case depending on whether you use moonshine, intel, or cash?

Yeah they are fairly different.

Intel will give you mostly guns, tech items, and keys, this includes labs access cards and on very rare occasion a colored labs card. Pretty sure I've also gotten an intel out of it once or twice which is neat.
Moonshine gives guns, expensive/rare barter items, stims, and gear like backpacks/rigs/armor.
Not too sure about money as I barely use it, but I think it can give just about any item. Weighted towards good or bad stuff based on the amount.

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011
A lot of people swear by the 95k gamble.

The scaling of rewards from gamba seems to change each wipe, not sure what's best this wipe. I've only run 1 Intel and a bunch of 95s so far. My one Intel got me sanis key with tape when it was like 600k so that was a nice win.

The 95ks have been really hit or miss tho.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

There is no real reason between the gambling usage of the scav case. I just used whatever was cheapest at that moment

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Todays patch seems to be the downfall, micro transactions and pistols/SKS/shotguns had their recoil nerfed hard, they go back to the sky.

Edit: also snow is going

Stevefin fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Feb 12, 2024

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Quote is not edit

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
what are the mtx

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Stux posted:

what are the mtx

They're letting people buy the features you normally would have got by owning EoD, like the additional stash space.

https://forum.escapefromtarkov.com/topic/178871-patch-notes-for-01410/

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?
So are the micro transactions for extra stash space bringing non EOD to EOD size or can EOD also buy more? I'm wary of anything non cosmetic being purchasable going forward.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Umbreon posted:

They're letting people buy the features you normally would have got by owning EoD, like the additional stash space.

Doesn't seem like a huge deal to me tbh. Also doesn't say anything about snow being removed in the changelog so I think Stevefin was wrong on that?

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

lol at the recoil reverts. Nobody can snatch defeat from the jaws of victory like BSG.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Umbreon posted:

so the same ones the game always had and no one had a problem with. got it.

Tibbeh
Apr 5, 2010
They also BROUGHT BACK the infinite scav loading bug after having just fixed it. Goddamnit why must I really like playing this game

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Stux posted:

so the same ones the game always had and no one had a problem with. got it.

ah, but, think of the CONTENT that the faux outrage generates!

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Tibbeh posted:

They also BROUGHT BACK the infinite scav loading bug after having just fixed it. Goddamnit why must I really like playing this game

Further proof that BSGs version control is just some dude who’s really good at making sure he copies the right file from his desktop

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Kazinsal posted:

ah, but, think of the CONTENT that the faux outrage generates!

this one worked twice bcos they got to complain when new players would be FOREVER disadvantaged vs eod buyers and now they can complain that theyre back. v clever

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Stevefin posted:

Todays patch seems to be the downfall, micro transactions and pistols/SKS/shotguns had their recoil nerfed hard, they go back to the sky.

Edit: also snow is going
It just says SKS carbine - I'm guessing that implies all variations?

Jakosa
Dec 28, 2021
It's weird that I enjoy regain raids the most. The fear of losing my gear cramps my games when I go in fully kitted.

How do you guys handle that? Do you end up not caring at some point?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

shotguns/sks changes are dumb/unnecessary but are still usable and I don't know that they'd have elicited comment if they'd been like this on 1.14's release

lmao at what they did to the pistols though

e:

Jakosa posted:

It's weird that I enjoy regain raids the most. The fear of losing my gear cramps my games when I go in fully kitted.

experiencing multiple wipes definitely helps, since you realize how transient it all is after your hideout full of rad gear it was never the proper time to use goes *poof*, and it becomes apparent that it was actually hurting you by taking up space while never being used

other things that have helped me are:
*repeatedly running similar replaceable kits, which just makes it a matter of roubles (and if those kits are adjusted to your means it very much becomes an "oh well" thing)
*going into raids with my best stuff with the conviction that I'm throwing it away on a lark/to clear inventory space as I'll inevitably get headeyesed by a scav or w/e - it's silly but works because you don't tend to be concerned with "preserving" gear you've already rid yourself of mentally, so if you get got it's expected and if you live it's a nice bonus (+you tend to do better because you've got good stuff and aren't playing scared)

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Jakosa posted:

you gotta realize the gamble is the appeal. you gotta have the lows to make the highs worth it.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Jakosa posted:

i vendor it all immediately. my only aim is to remove gear from the game while offering nothing of value to anyone who kills me

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

The load out preset feature took away a lot of my gear fear cause as long as I have the money it’s just a few clicks and I’m ready to go again.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

LGD posted:

other things that have helped me are:
*repeatedly running similar replaceable kits, which just makes it a matter of roubles (and if those kits are adjusted to your means it very much becomes an "oh well" thing)
Triples makes it safe. Triples is best.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Neon Belly posted:

The load out preset feature took away a lot of my gear fear cause as long as I have the money it’s just a few clicks and I’m ready to go again.

I’ve found this mostly unusable due to the weird way it handles your secure and items with a usable quantity. The purchasing logic is pretty bad too. If I could set it to ignore certain slots and if it didn’t try to buy gun piece parts instead of assembled weapons from traders it would be better.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
On gear fear: As you get insurance back you'll have a ton of poo poo that needs to be used or vendored, might as well use what's not broken. This cycle makes me feel the need to keep using my stuff. I have no tips for when you're chadded out and never get your stuff back because I've never reached that level 😅

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Mischievous Mink posted:

Doesn't seem like a huge deal to me tbh. Also doesn't say anything about snow being removed in the changelog so I think Stevefin was wrong on that?

BSG did a weather report on their socials, in a week tarkov will be free of snow aparently

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

Stevefin posted:

BSG did a weather report on their socials, in a week tarkov will be free of snow aparently

The patch is already out, it's gone.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Jakosa posted:

I break it up. I do a couple gently caress it kedr/pp19 runs and sprint around on customs, and a couple beefy dmr/assault rifle runs. it's nice to feel powerful sometimes, and nice to feel disposable.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Just pump your fence rep with a day of vehicle extract farming, pepper in some decent scav routes, and you’ll have more gear than you know what to do with. This is my first wipe in a few years so I suck but even as a terrible sub 2kd-player I’m actively trying to burn through kits so I can start using presets. The problem is I keep getting most of my insured stuff back and can’t bring myself to vendor it all since everything is pretty viable now.

Specifically focus on scavving weapon crates, ammo spawns, and dead scavs on streets. Start hitting free valuable spawns as you get more comfortable.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

is /r/tarkov worth following? i popped in to see what people thought of the patch and i can't tell if the patch is a piece of poo poo or if this is one of those subreddits where everything sucks and nothing is ever good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I dunno about /r/tarkov cuz I didn't know it existed but /r/EscapefromTarkov is a masterclass in why you shouldn't get heavily involved in the community of any video game