Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
49ers also got bailed out by a holding call on what would have been an abysmal 3 and out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Canned Sunshine posted:

Eh, the 49ers D was beyond gassed and had literally just given up the game tying FG to go to OT, so I can see choosing to receive if only to buy your D a breather.

It's still not worth it. Even if Team A scores a touchdown there's like a 99% chance Team B is going to go for 2 when they score a touchdown and then it's over.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

fknlo posted:

The only good justification for the 49ers receiving there is that their defense had just been on the field for a drive and were clearly pretty gassed

It's sounding like it was just a fuckup, as the 49ers apparently didn't have an internal plan for it and the 49ers didn't get the memo that they should just lie about it

https://twitter.com/ringer/status/1756967218611384583?t=ZtgWUQdmAFqvuTndxPAKmQ&s=19

Still a solid point, no idea how much of the "gently caress, D's gassed" weighed in.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

The Dave posted:

It's still not worth it. Even if Team A scores a touchdown there's like a 99% chance Team B is going to go for 2 when they score a touchdown and then it's over.

Yeah, I agree, but I can see it as being a reason if it actually was, which it doesn’t seem like it was based on some of the reporting people have posted. Shanahan just hosed up.

Inaction Jackson
Feb 28, 2009

Harlock posted:

Grateful Brock Purdy isn't good enough to see Aiyuk open here to win the game

https://twitter.com/benbbaldwin/status/1757050362828030440?s=19
I think McDuffie 100% knocks that down if Purdy tries to throw it. He’s right in that lane.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
yeah that's just great d

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
On top of your D being gassed in that situation, you're also giving a clearly gassed opposing D a long sit to recuperate if you don't take it first. I really don't fault the 49ers for receiving there whether they were aware of the new rules or not.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

That’s true too. I mean, the 49ers offense went on a 7+ minute drive or so in OT, benefited by the hold call. The Chiefs D bent but didn’t break at the end though.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Man I completely forgot that the Niners traded for Chase Young dude was invisible for like the entire postseason

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Nodoze posted:

49ers also got bailed out by a holding call on what would have been an abysmal 3 and out

that and they had a man downfield on the trick TD, which somehow went uncalled despite the NFL emphasizing the rule all season

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Technowrite posted:

Nickelodeon made that broadcast 100 percent more bearable thanks to no politics and no Jesus foot fetish ads.

"Does anyone need a MAP to the ENDZONE?" killed me, though.

Every super bowl needs a Nickelodeon broadcast, that poo poo ruled so hard

Dora's other good line of the night was "Where are we going?" *Clapclapclap* "BACK FIVE YARDS!" After a false start.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Hot Diggity! posted:

Man I completely forgot that the Niners traded for Chase Young dude was invisible for like the entire postseason

He had two sacks on the game though?

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

McDuffie once again shows that he has that dawg in him.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Mystic Stylez posted:

:actually: Being invisible has benefits on the defensive line!

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

There's bad luck and than there's a punt grazing the leg of an engaged blocker in your opponent's redzone.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Cash Monet posted:

There's bad luck and than there's a punt grazing the leg of an engaged blocker in your opponent's redzone.

Eh. If the Niners had managed to get any points off either of the Chiefs' turnovers, the weird bounce wouldn't have mattered so much. Fluky poo poo always happens, and the Niners had plenty of chances to extend their lead before that.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Mystic Stylez posted:

Huh how about that my mistake

I would like to revise my comment to he was mostly invisible during the postseason

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

I feel like Young was more visible in this game than I can remember in a while

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH
How do you have Nick Bosa and Chase Young and not just make Mahomes a permanent fixture in the turf?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Black Sunshine posted:

How do you have Nick Bosa and Chase Young and not just make Mahomes a permanent fixture in the turf?

Because he's been insanely hard to sack his whole career. There have been tons of Dls who think they have him and they just get sidestepped and Pat runs for 15 yards.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Black Sunshine posted:

“Steve Wilks”

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Bosa and Young both played great but Mahomes is Mahomes, dude ascends to a different level when needed

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

shyduck posted:

Bosa and Young both played great but Mahomes is Mahomes, dude ascends to a different level when needed

Yeah, SF had that Mahomes magician poo poo basically contained all drat game until they suddenly didn't.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I mean Mahomes almost never gets properly tackled when he runs because he slides but there was one run that he just fully trucked a safety. When he gets a full head of steam he looks viscerally unpleasant to stop for the average secondary player.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

How can the Raiders defense do him dirty on Christmas day in Arrowhead while they're fighting for the #1 seed and the rest of the league just shits themselves against him all loving postseason?

This is an outrage

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
They actually seemed to do a solid job stopping Mahomes from running on them for most of the game, which isn't easy because Mahomes can be elusive as hell.

He did eventually start making good run gains near the end of the game, probably due to the D being gassed, but he wasn't outright clowning defenders with his legs like he usually does (or as much).

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

As Mahomes eventually does slow down, I’m curious what he’s going to look like as mostly a pocket passer and not extending plays with his legs.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
Probably like late career Elway, i'd guess. Obviously couldn't move like he used to, but still had a cannon for an arm and could read defenses well enough to make up for it.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Technowrite posted:

Nickelodeon made that broadcast 100 percent more bearable thanks to no politics and no Jesus foot fetish ads.

"Does anyone need a MAP to the ENDZONE?" killed me, though.

:aaa: I completely forgot about the Nickelodeon broadcast. :doh:

I would've fought harder with my friends to find a place to watch that, tho being in Broncos country this weekend would've meant a lot of mad folks by the end.

Well congrats Chiefs fans. You're the new dynasty and watching you pull the "let the other teams trip over their own dicks" page from the Patriots means you'll be on top for a while.

The only question that remains is if Taylor likely went :a2m: for Travis to celebrate his win.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

facialimpediment posted:

Don't know why, but it *just* hit me that the super bowl overtime rules were different, where even if SF scored a touchdown on that overtime possession, it wouldn't end the game.

Basically swung my logic, don't really have a problem with Shanahan kicking the field goal. Defense just didn't make a stop and rip

As I mentioned in the game thread Tony Romo didn't know this either. When Purdy threw that errant pass on third down into the endzone he said that was for the the Super Bowl win and no, Chiefs still would have had a chance. They changed this rule for the Bills.

Also a couple things MVS has more rings than ARodge. Jawan Taylor: zero penalties, zero sacks given up.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Why do people keep being weird about Taylor.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish

Being a cringe dumbass is actually optional, dude.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

really queer Christmas posted:

Because he had like 6 false starts in week 1 and is the most penalized offensive player in the league

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Stop making weird jokes about Taylor Swift god damnit

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Nodoze posted:

Stop making weird jokes about Taylor Swift god damnit

I don't want any bird nest soup from that swift!! :D

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

really queer Christmas posted:

Don't shame someone for being brave enough to ask the difficult questions

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Pron on VHS posted:

Because he had like 6 false starts in week 1 and is the most penalized offensive player in the league

Wrong Taylor I'm talking about

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish

Black Sunshine posted:

Don't shame someone for being brave enough to ask the difficult questions

Least misogynistic anime-avatar dipshit.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Ornery and Hornery posted:

McDuffie once again shows that he has that dawg in him.

Pron on VHS posted:

McDuffie with the blitz and pass deflection, saving the game. He had Deebo Samuel in HELL all night, clamped down.

https://x.com/Chiefs/status/1756835447903567994?s=20

Trent McDuffie

Reminder that the pick the Chiefs used to draft McDuffie was the pick they got from the Tyreek Hill trade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

kiimo posted:

Reminder that the pick the Chiefs used to draft McDuffie was the pick they got from the Tyreek Hill trade.

All the talk throughout the season in the GDT's about the Chiefs regretting trading Hill still cracks me up.