Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

That's not at all how they responded. They were concerned about the shift in behavior, wondered if it was related to him spending a bunch of time with someone who knew his creator and then died, and then they ran extensive diagnostics after he insulted Picard and Riker on the bridge.

Sure it is. It takes until halfway through the episode, after Data/Graves has already attacked someone in Engineering, for them to finally say, "Gee, maybe something's wrong with Data". Fortunately for them Graves wasn't really that dangerous; he just wanted immortality (and was horny for Naline or whatever the name of his blonde assistant).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
They treat Data acting weird as something they can't really do much about. "Huh, guess Data imprinted on Graves in a big way, and we don't know that much about how he works, so let's just wait until he hurts someone and decide what to do then?"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Federation policy with respect to strong AI borders on malicious negligence

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

zoux posted:

Federation policy with respect to strong AI borders on malicious negligence

My nerd theory is that Star Trek is a prequel to either Dune or 40K or both so that tracks

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Sure it is. It takes until halfway through the episode, after Data/Graves has already attacked someone in Engineering, for them to finally say, "Gee, maybe something's wrong with Data". Fortunately for them Graves wasn't really that dangerous; he just wanted immortality (and was horny for Naline or whatever the name of his blonde assistant).

No, Data/Graves getting violent in Engineering isn't revealed until 39:22 when we see La Forge's unconscious body, and Picard doesn't get knocked out until 41:45. (And the total runtime is only 45:28.) Halfway through the episode is about when the eulogy ends. Graves removes himself from Data after he attacks Picard and realizes that Picard was right.

The diagnostic happens two scenes after Data/Graves's outburst on the bridge, immediately after Picard tries to chew him out in the Ready Room and gets nowhere with him.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Maybe you should re-watch the episode. :)

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I finished Voyager. It wasn't as bad as it could have been.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

No, Data/Graves getting violent in Engineering isn't revealed until 39:22 when we see La Forge's unconscious body, and Picard doesn't get knocked out until 41:45. (And the total runtime is only 45:28.) Halfway through the episode is about when the eulogy ends. Graves removes himself from Data after he attacks Picard and realizes that Picard was right.

The diagnostic happens two scenes after Data/Graves's outburst on the bridge, immediately after Picard tries to chew him out in the Ready Room and gets nowhere with him.

Goes nowhere with Data and never bothers to follow up on it.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

MikeJF posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if they were planning that but then Gene decided to make Majel her mother and they gave up on the idea.

I like the theory someone had that Deanna has an accent because she's speaking Federation Standard directly. Lwaxanna's never bothered learning any foreign languages and is speaking her own native language, and the translator doesn't carry over her accent with it translates her.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Maybe you should re-watch the episode. :)

Maybe we should rewatch it together :mad:

I'll bring snacks :mad:

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Angry Salami posted:

I like the theory someone had that Deanna has an accent because she's speaking Federation Standard directly. Lwaxanna's never bothered learning any foreign languages and is speaking her own native language, and the translator doesn't carry over her accent with it translates her.

This is GREAT.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

davidspackage posted:

Maybe we should rewatch it together :mad:

I'll bring snacks :mad:

Yeah, sure. Thread rewatch of Schizoid Man?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Gene told Marina to try to sound alien so she mimicked the accent of her friend from Israel

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wpXLGHYrgU
About 20 minutes in is when she talks about the accent.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Worf should have a russian accent

NJM
Jan 3, 2020

Or maybe Worf is speaking Russian this entire time, which is why the translator gets confused when he throws in some random Klingon

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Sir Lemming posted:

Fortunately this information is readily available:

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Change_of_Heart_(episode)

Huh! Okay, then. Thank you.

Maybe I was getting this mixed up with Claudia Christian's exit from Babylon 5.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
The UT only "fixes" incredibly thick accents. Worf's accent is incredibly thick, as is Lwaxana's. Troi's is much easier so the UT doesn't bother

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Soul Dentist posted:

The UT only "fixes" incredibly thick accents. Worf's accent is incredibly thick, as is Lwaxana's. Troi's is much easier so the UT doesn't bother

Same goes for O’Brien for that matter.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Yeah, sure. Thread rewatch of Schizoid Man?
My favorite episode of The Prisoner? I'm in!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Early TNG really does make the Federation/Starfleet feel like a human club. Constantly talking about how humans do this and that when they're referring to the whole federation. And they also imply the Klingons were conquered.

This also extends to the TOS style "nearly every alien we run into is just a human and it's not commented on"

Taear fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Feb 12, 2024

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Atlas Hugged posted:

These Voyager two parters just aren't very good, are they?

I didn't hate Flesh and Blood, but the whole thing just felt too easy. The stakes never felt that high. Plus, it didn't seem like they could really pick a position on hologram rights and kind of waffled on it throughout.

Let's see...

Caretaker: trash
Basics: trash
Future's End: trash
Scorpion: Ok this one is good, great even
Year of Hell: same
The Killing Game: ehhhh
Dark Frontier: trash
Equinox: garbo
Unimatrix Zero: hot garbage
Flesh and Blood: trash
Workforce: OH GOD THIS ONE WAS SO loving BORING
Endgame: good because it ends the series

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Railing Kill posted:

you made this one up

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Future's End was a silly, fun romp imo

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's really dumb because the actual Doctor just starts immediately doing the bidding of the Equinox people, whereas back on Voyager the fake Doctor is perfectly fine on his own helping to free the imprisoned Equinox crew and sabotage Voyager

So shouldn't he still have some degree of free will even if his ethical subroutines are off?

Disabling an ethical subroutine should have immediately resulted in a goatee growing as a hardcoded fail safe to recognize when holograms turn evil.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
By the time of Prodgy, they've learned their lesson and have holo-Janeway turn goth so we know she's gone evil.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Angry Salami posted:

By the time of Prodgy, they've learned their lesson and have holo-Janeway turn goth so we know she's gone evil.

Both goths are a friendly sort. She should of turned pop-punk.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

As per anniversary tradition over in STO, the Defiant and a Jem'Hadar bugship got drunk and had a baby!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Railing Kill posted:

Let's see...

Caretaker: trash
Basics: trash
Future's End: trash
Scorpion: Ok this one is good, great even
Year of Hell: same
The Killing Game: ehhhh
Dark Frontier: trash
Equinox: garbo
Unimatrix Zero: hot garbage
Flesh and Blood: trash
Endgame: good because it ends the series
I like Equinox, even if a lot of it is ridiculous or over the top

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Something I've wondered, if you were just a Starfleet rando, and you're doing some corridor walking, looking at your padd on your way to mess with some EPS conduits or whatever, and the ship your on transitions into warp drive. What does that feel like? In Emergence, the Enterprise goes into warp unexpectedly and Picard and Riker kind of rock back a little, but I'm trying to think of other instances where the transition from normal to warp space is shown (besides TMP).

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

As long as everything is working properly and all the dampeners are fully tuned, you won't feel it, although maybe the engine hum will change. We see a warp jump from the inside a few times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt1FOgi9sVE&t=131s

https://i.imgur.com/oWEhune.mp4

If it's a malfunction or something there'll often be a little shake.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Feb 12, 2024

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Equinox gave us the Nova Class, which is a lovely little ship.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

Equinox gave us the Nova Class, which is a lovely little ship.

Although personally I'm even more a fan of the Rhode Island version.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I love that that warp effect from TNG showed up way into DS9's run too

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

God I bet sleeping on your tiny space pillow under a molecule thick space blanket on a lavender space mattress in your lavish SF officer quarters on a ship at warp has got to be so restful.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

MikeJF posted:

Although personally I'm even more a fan of the Rhode Island version.

This is true :hmmyes:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

God I bet sleeping on your tiny space pillow under a molecule thick space blanket on a lavender space mattress in your lavish SF officer quarters on a ship at warp has got to be so restful.

Especially with that free subscription to 24h HD Starship Ambient Background Noise

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Personally I prefer a minbari triangle bed. Really strengthens your bones

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

zoux posted:

It helps you forget that you just saw what remained of your co worker after the transporter accident.

Why did he have to give O'Brien lip, why???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

dr_rat posted:

It helps you forget that you just saw what remained of your co worker after the transporter accident.

Why did he have to give O'Brien lip, why???

Excuse me, sir, it was proven conclusively by the transporter engineering team that was a freak accident and in no way the Chief's fault, and there's no one on the ship who can prove otherwise.

Now if you'll excuse me, the Chief has a vintage bottle of Jameson's he's opening in his quarters for a little get together. What's that? Umm, no sir, I'm afraid it's a little crowded and there's no room for anyone else besides the engineering team.

Oh, apropos of nothing, I've heard you have an away mission coming up. Before you go, I would really appreciate it if you could authorize some additional time for me in the Holodeck for...let's call it training. I'd hate for the doubts you voiced that I just happen to capture with my tricorder to get around before your important trip off the ship, if you know what I mean, sir. Might be bad...for morale, of course. That's all I meant, sir. I hope we understand each other. I'd hate for there to be a breakdown...in communications between us.