Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

He took an old 1960 JFK campaign ad and photoshopped his head over JFK's body, but kept everything else and implied the entire Kennedy family was behind him.

Then, directed everyone to a website to donate money and directed them to a website with his major issues that includes sections about vaccine "choice."

i fuckin love this guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
It literally consisted of nothing but the word Kennedy flashing on the screen over and over.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Shadowlyger posted:

Not voting doesn't stop the genocide from happening.

The idea is that it could lead to fewer deaths in the future as a depressed Biden turnout would possibly signal to those with their thumbs on the scale that being overtly pro genocide is a disqualifying position for a dem nominee.

Lawrence O'Donnell famously said in 2006 that the only way for progressives to exercise any power over the Democratic party is to show that they won't blindly vote for whoever the nominee is.

Each person has to decide for themselves what their red line is. I don't think many people are going to change their minds on this topic and I wish there were a lot less moral posturing on both sides. I myself won't vote for Biden but I very much understand people who view it differently and have no ill will or judgment towards that.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Morrow posted:

It literally consisted of nothing but the word Kennedy flashing on the screen over and over.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

I don't know if it was especially gross, but it was a totally shameless attempt to associate himself with JFK and imply that he has the family endorsement. All the Shrivers and Kennedys who were upset with him with mostly upset that he was implying that the Kennedy family and JFK were behind his anti-vaccine theories (especially since two of the Shrivers currently run vaccination charities and the RED campaign anti-HIV and international vaccination programs).

they hate him for the antivax stuff since we lost some extended family to covid and a bunch of extended family are also various stripe of anti vax shithead.

zoux posted:

He's so mortified that it's his pinned tweet.

yeah he doesnt give a poo poo but he is probably spooked that he might lose out on whatever the kennedy brand/money is worth these days. honestly. i am curious how much the kennedy name even means outside boomers, people near boston. like i went up to his museum last summer and it was nice enough.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Feb 12, 2024

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Seems very on brand for RFK so at least he's a consistent piece of poo poo.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hmmm I googled RFK Jr and I got a video of him listing encounters with Epstein and Ghislane Maxwell like Bubba Gump listing types of shrimp

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

zoux posted:

Hmmm I googled RFK Jr and I got a video of him listing encounters with Epstein and Ghislane Maxwell like Bubba Gump listing types of shrimp

Great, now I'm gonna spend the rest of the my day thinking "Grilled pedophilia, stir-fried pedophilia, cumin-maple glazed pedophilia..."

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

im not going to think about that for even a second

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

I can't think of the last time the US had an anti-genocide president. Trump certainly wasn't one, and Obama did plenty to soak his hands in blood directly and indirectly too. The Clinton administration's long been panned for its insistence that "acts of genocide" happening in Rwanda didn't mean that a "genocide" was happening there. HW Bush was the former head of the CIA. Reagan heavily backed the Guatemalan genocide, and probably others as well. And so on. If you've ever voted in a US presidential election, you've voted for genocide. Bit late to start pretending you can have clean hands now, ain't it?

i'm not trying to restart electoralism chat i promise, but i didn't get a chance to reply to this yesterday, so out of curiosity: is your contention that if i have ever voted for president in the past, it is disingenuous for me to oppose any genocide going forward?

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

The idea is that it could lead to fewer deaths in the future as a depressed Biden turnout would possibly signal to those with their thumbs on the scale that being overtly pro genocide is a disqualifying position for a dem nominee.

Lawrence O'Donnell famously said in 2006 that the only way for progressives to exercise any power over the Democratic party is to show that they won't blindly vote for whoever the nominee is.

Each person has to decide for themselves what their red line is. I don't think many people are going to change their minds on this topic and I wish there were a lot less moral posturing on both sides. I myself won't vote for Biden but I very much understand people who view it differently and have no ill will or judgment towards that.

Can you please explain how withholding a vote because a candidate is not far enough left/right will get that candidate to move further left/right? I hear this argument all of the time, but I don't understand how it works when the majority of the country don't hold far left/right positions.

It seems to me like the logical conclusion of a low voter turnout for a specific party would be to move closer to the majority opinion in the country. Unless there was exit poll that showed an extremely large number of non-voters stating a far left/right position as a reason, but I can't imagine it would ever be a higher number than non-voting centrists.

I'm trying to find studies on it but it's hard to find a clear/good summary. Please link some if you have any handy.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kalit fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Feb 12, 2024

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
The RFK ad also appeals to a voter base that is small and getting smaller by the day. Like 20 years ago, it would of been an interesting idea for an ad but now it doesn't resonate.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Mooseontheloose posted:

The RFK ad also appeals to a voter base that is small and getting smaller by the day. Like 20 years ago, it would of been an interesting idea for an ad but now it doesn't resonate.
Possibly. His big mistake was trying to run as a Dem when he clearly has no real connection to the party or what the Dem base wants

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Bet rfk wants to be a perennial candidate

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

Mooseontheloose posted:

"Hey! Remember how political dynasties were awesome?!"

No.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I didn't watch anything yesterday, why was the ad bad enough it needed to be apologized for?

This seems to be the ad in question:
https://twitter.com/AmValues2024/status/1756847553595760906

Given that the entire rest of the Kennedy clan seems to hate him and everything he stands for, it's no wonder they were particularly pissed about this ad.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Possibly. His big mistake was trying to run as a Dem when he clearly has no real connection to the party or what the Dem base wants

partly but id say its also that he has a poo poo platform too. he is running as a soft chud who focuses on Covid and shutdowns in 2024. he isnt running on some manchin type platform or a progressive or leftist type platform, its just weird Q adjecent poo poo. the only people he polls are weirder chuds. also as petty as it, he litterally sounds like a fallout ghoul. which probably hurts him more.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Somewhat relevant to last night, since the game was sponsored by multiple sports gambling companies.

These companies are massively popular and enormous now. The official sports betting industry is projected to cross $100 billion in revenue in 2024.

It's pretty amazing how quickly these companies exploded, how much money they make now, and how much they have become just an intrinsic part of sports now.

According to polls from last year, Americans don't necessarily think it is a good thing, but very few of them have strong opinions and only about 1/3 of people want to ban it again.

Seems like a generally bad thing for society overall, but they are extremely popular and it is hard to say exactly what the impact would be of banning them again now that they have become so ubiquitous.

quote:

https://twitter.com/ryan_hassett/status/1756812629652152709

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Feb 12, 2024

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008
"Know how it's a big concern that both of the main party candidates are really old? How do we tap in to that?"

"No idea, but take a look at my ad concept that looks 70 years out of date!"

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Lol just he just photoshopped his head into JFKs body

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

the ease and ubiquity of sports gambling is going to be a social disaster, if it isn't already

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

partly but id say its also that he has a poo poo platform too. he is running as a soft chud who focuses on Covid and shutdowns in 2024. he isnt running on some manchin type platform or a progressive or leftist type platform, its just weird Q adjecent poo poo. the only people he polls are weirder chuds. also as petty as it, he litterally sounds like a fallout ghoul. which probably hurts him more.
He would have been far more at home in the GOP clown car

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

But they have a hotline if you're gambling becomes a problem you see

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

This seems to be the ad in question:
https://twitter.com/AmValues2024/status/1756847553595760906

Given that the entire rest of the Kennedy clan seems to hate him and everything he stands for, it's no wonder they were particularly pissed about this ad.

lol

Also most of the money from American Values PAC comes from one guy, a Trump megadonor

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

lobster shirt posted:

the ease and ubiquity of sports gambling is going to be a social disaster, if it isn't already

Lol yeah I've never gambled so the whole thing was completely under my radar but I watched the Wendover video when it came out a whle ago and it seems pretty bad!

https://youtu.be/Pm5bTZRhncY?feature=shared

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery
Like most vices, banning gambling doesn't actually decrease gambling, it just makes it harder to tax. Legality is not the problem. The problem, as always, is the greed of the leagues (and particularly, the team owners) and broadcasters themselves, who are more than glad to take any amount of dollars to shove sports gambling down the throats of everyone. It is always within the purview of the government to ban advertising.

But they won't, because they're on the take too.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

lobster shirt posted:

It seems to be a disaster for a small subset of people who have gambling addictions, but didn't have access to extremely easy methods of gambling.

If they started restricting it or banning it again, then does it just go gray market? Sports betting and "fantasy football gambling" were definitely still around and popular prior to fan duels and the 100 other new official gambling companies, but they didn't have to report to the SEC, so it's not totally clear how much money was going through them.

Is the huge popularity of sports betting new people getting in or is it what people were doing before, but made much easier and public? If it is new people, then do they just stop for good if it was banned/restricted again?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

I mean, yes that too and now Republican's are mad because he's taking away R votes.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Xombie posted:

Like most vices, banning gambling doesn't actually decrease gambling, it just makes it harder to tax. Legality is not the problem. The problem, as always, is the greed of the leagues (and particularly, the team owners) and broadcasters themselves, who are more than glad to take any amount of dollars to shove sports gambling down the throats of everyone.

Having math education not be absolute poo poo wouldn't hurt either.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Xombie posted:

Like most vices, banning gambling doesn't actually decrease gambling, it just makes it harder to tax..

This sounds like one of those libertarian "truisms" that isn't actually true in practice. I would be absolutely stunned if having a gambling app on everyone's phone didn't lead to massively increased gambling, for the same reason that caffeine addiction is a lot more common than opium addiction.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's on your phone and you get told to use it every commercial break of every game. There's no way that hasn't caused a huge boom in usage

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The fact that college sports and universities are now partnering and promoting sports gambling to their fans is also pretty wild.

I can't think of another thing that so totally and completely became enmeshed within society and every aspect of an industry so quickly before.

Even Amazon took 15 years before they basically took over online shopping and they only account for ~38% of all online sales. There's about 3 companies that account for 98% of all online gambling.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Xiahou Dun posted:

Human brains are pretty much physically incapable of understanding probability at an intuitive level. We're just bad at it; our brains are evolved to expect low probability but high magnitude events as disproportionately likely ("what if there is a tiger behind that bush?") and so we are very vulnerable to gambling scams.

It seems to me like just another hollowing out of the commons by capitalism. Any good thing we have, even just the common shared joy of a sports game, capitalism drives to monetize, and we no longer have any other social institutions capable of resisting that pressure.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The fact that approximately 25% of all sports related content is now gambling related, while a lesser concern than gambling pathologies, loving sucks.

What changed in law to allow this to happen?

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
I can't help but think of this little quote from 1984 when I hear about Sports Betting getting let loose in our country. It makes me really queasy, especially after tons of web-surfing on British soccer forums has shown me how often some people are giving money to these bookies.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

This sounds like one of those libertarian "truisms" that isn't actually true in practice. I would be absolutely stunned if having a gambling app on everyone's phone didn't lead to massively increased gambling, for the same reason that caffeine addiction is a lot more common than opium addiction.

There was already sports gambling on phones before sports gambling was legal, though. They just called it "daily fantasy sports". You can put anything on an app and skirt the law about it. But like all addictions, you can't be addicted unless you've actually participated. Simply being available isn't what gets people hooked. You have to convince them to try it. Which is where advertising comes in.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

zoux posted:

The fact that approximately 25% of all sports related content is now gambling related, while a lesser concern than gambling pathologies, loving sucks.

The Supreme Court struck down a law banning it at the federal level in 2018, it was then regulated at the state level, several states legalized it, then it exploded around 2019.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Xiahou Dun posted:

This is part of the reason the odds are stuff like+1500 and -1000 now right

I'm tired of hearing about sports bets in every single event for every possible thing already. It even came up in BattleBots for a bit lmao

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

zoux posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murphy_v._National_Collegiate_Athletic_Association

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

The fact that college sports and universities are now partnering and promoting sports gambling to their fans is also pretty wild.

this i think is squarely the biggest part of the problem, its no less predatory than credit card companies trying to get college students signed up and spending