Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the greatest love story in video games?
This poll is closed.
Tidus & Yuna (Final Fantasy X) 14 7.37%
Wakka & Lulu (Final Fantasy X) 8 4.21%
Wakka & Yuna (Final Fantasy X) 1 0.53%
Lulu & Rikku (Final Fantasy X) 13 6.84%
Rikku & Tidus (Final Fantasy X) 3 1.58%
Kimahri & Yuna (Final Fantasy X) 2 1.05%
Tidus & Ifrit (Final Fantasy X) 16 8.42%
Yuna & Rikku (Final Fantasy X) 16 8.42%
Wakka & Wakka (Final Fantasy X) 70 36.84%
Auron & Kimahri (Final Fantasy X) 23 12.11%
Kimahri & Tidus (Final Fantasy X) 15 7.89%
Yuna & Tidus (Final Fantasy X) 9 4.74%
Total: 190 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

scrolling up and learning that the word was "dreckbuilder". yikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Itzena posted:

I wonder if the “yellow paint bad” people would be happier with the original FFVII “press select and floating arrows appear” solution instead?

You could just make it a toggle. Call it traversal assist mode or something.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I’ve been playing (heavily modded) morrowind again this past week, and fellow gamers, Morrowind is one of the greatest games ever made and nothing since has even come close

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Helldivers 2 is good. Except for the part where the servers are melting down but besides that it has been a blast.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Srice posted:

Helldivers 2 is good. Except for the part where the servers are melting down but besides that it has been a blast.

I've played a few missions up to Medium difficulty and I'm trying to determine if I want to stick with it. I don't expect games of this type to be super difficult but it seems like most of it so far has been standing shooting bugs without much resistance. I imagine that picks up later? Also I'm like 1/4 on actually getting credits for completing missions now, haha.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

exquisite tea posted:

I've played a few missions up to Medium difficulty and I'm trying to determine if I want to stick with it. I don't expect games of this type to be super difficult but it seems like most of it so far has been standing shooting bugs without much resistance. I imagine that picks up later? Also I'm like 1/4 on actually getting credits for completing missions now, haha.

Keep in mind medium difficulty is difficulty 3/9. I don't even think the armored stuff shows up there.

poo poo gets nuts.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
So I never played a Disgaea before and I started playing Disgaea PC last night and holy poo poo this is fun. I don't know what I'm doing.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Rinkles posted:

also sorry but what's FiTS?

Fights in Tight Spaces, I think

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Itzena posted:

I wonder if the “yellow paint bad” people would be happier with the original FFVII “press select and floating arrows appear” solution instead?

Yes

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

There's a lot of difficulty levels and once you go like, 1 or 2 levels above medium the game stops holding back since you'll regularly see the heavier bugs and they can be a bad time if they spawn when you're not ready for them.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Pleasing the 7 crowd is a fool's errand. Move on to people that would appreciate it like the 8 and 9 communities.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Jay Rust posted:

I’ve been playing (heavily modded) morrowind again this past week, and fellow gamers, Morrowind is one of the greatest games ever made and nothing since has even come close

I dunno about that but yes, Morrowind is an extremely good and clunky af game.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Blackbird is releasing a mot-Homeworld game, Earthless, but it's a dreckbuilder so I couldn't get through the demo. Sorry guys

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Do the deckbuilder-not-likers have the same problem with games like Hades or Dead Cells, where you are selecting new, randomly-available abilities on each run? Or is it specifically the aesthetics of cards?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

paper cuts hurt :(

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Muscle Tracer posted:

Do the deckbuilder-not-likers have the same problem with games like Hades or Dead Cells, where you are selecting new, randomly-available abilities on each run? Or is it specifically the aesthetics of cards?

Don't like cards, don't like roguelikes, don't like any of those games

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Muscle Tracer posted:

In Hades you get abilities to use all the time. In Deck builders you get cards that show up randomly.

Like, if Hades had a cycling list of twenty effects that showed up when you attacked, I wouldn't like that.

Edit: also skill in Hades can take you a long way even if your build might not be very good. Sometimes in deckbuilders you're simply screwed and you know it.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Feb 12, 2024

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Muscle Tracer posted:

I'm not a fan of those particular two games but for different reasons (pretty done with top down twin stick hackenslashes and DC just didn't click when I played it early on).

I like physical card games though

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

In a video game you can look at anything, fireballs, explosions phat rear end ninja guy doing sick flips all over the place. I don't want to waste my not-especially valuable time looking at cards!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

When you press a button it should do something awesome, like « draw three cards and make them cost 0 »

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

deckbuilders suck because none of them have characters constantly melodramatically yelling the rules, descriptions, and effects of the cards

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/AVeryBigBnuy/status/1756715194598711643

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Vermain posted:

i think you need to be one of those people with the gambling gene to truly enjoy deckbuilders, and i, someone with like 150k passive channel points in every twitch stream i watch, categorically do not have the gambling gene

obviously games of chance are meant to have grand highs and abyssal lows, but my emotional response to drawing on curve is less pure, unbridled euphoria and more, "cool, i get to play the game instead of sitting here fuming for another round"

Not every card game is necessarily subject to the same whims of chance. I don't think gambling should even be legal anywhere as a profitable business. But I really like cards and fun card games. I just hate the way many of them are distributed.

I think you only need the gambling gene to get suckered into poo poo like treating cards as an investment instead of dirt cheap printed cardstock. The whole TCG/CCG thing preys on those people and it's all very NFT as gently caress. Magic is a fun card game but actually getting to play it legally is a complete ripoff grift anyway you slice it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

When I push a button, I should be able to play Pot of Greed, which allows me to draw two additional cards.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

When I push a button, I should be able to play Pot of Greed, which allows me to draw two additional cards.

:mods:

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

ok, so run-to-run randomness acceptable, turn-to-turn randomness not; that makes sense to me.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

That bit lives rent free in my head, and every time I play a card game someone at the table inevitably brings it up.

Also card games are cool, play em.

Yes, but public-spaces-making-sure-people-don't-trip-and-die vs a-random-cliff-face-on-a-mount-with-yellow-paint-slathered-on-it are 2 entirely different thigns

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Gottem

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Real life cliff faces actually do have noticeable white gunk all over the climbable areas around here.

The hard stuff to spot is the grindable curbs, they are shinier/wetter looking but it easy to miss.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Infinitum posted:

Yes, but public-spaces-making-sure-people-don't-trip-and-die vs a-random-cliff-face-on-a-mount-with-yellow-paint-slathered-on-it are 2 entirely different thigns

Agreed, Cloud should automatically slip and die if you attempt to grip anywhere that isn't marked in yellow.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

exquisite tea posted:

Agreed, Cloud should automatically slip and die if you attempt to grip anywhere that isn't marked in yellow.

If you press the climb button in the wrong place it triggers a five-minute animation of Cloud trying to get a grip on the wall in different ways

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
This wouldn't be a problem if every surface was climbable

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah just like the recent Assassins Creed games

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

lol climbing. I’m gonna fly

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Infinitum posted:

Sure but videogames are more the former than they can ever be the latter.

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014

HopperUK posted:

So I never played a Disgaea before and I started playing Disgaea PC last night and holy poo poo this is fun. I don't know what I'm doing.

This is the correct way to play Disgaea.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

yellowgate

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Picked up Kamiwaza: Way of the Thief before the PSN sale ended. Not sure when I'll actually get around to playing it, but it looked neat. Remaster of a PS2 game I never played from Acquire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgKuTMuwCTk

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Khanstant posted:

Magic is a fun card game but actually getting to play it legally is a complete ripoff grift anyway you slice it.

It's pretty easy to do for cheap as long as you're paying attention. I'm doing it from scratch right now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

HopperUK posted:

Its one of my favorite game series! its so good!