Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

Aliens is already a famously grainy, gritty looking movie, but it's great to see regardless. And of course it has the original optical stereo track!

Doesn't Cameron straight up say in the commentary he wishes he'd used different cameras and film? Been ages since I watched that. Would have been around 08 or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Apollodorus posted:

Well on the other hand, they’ve never seen Alien or its various sequels and spinoffs.

Ah, the "No one in a zombie movie has ever heard of zombies" theorem

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
God I was about to make a SMG-like post with some Lacanian bullshit in it but I realized I just didn’t have the energy and instead let me say, yes, that’s kind of a thing right?

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

deoju posted:

Doesn't Cameron straight up say in the commentary he wishes he'd used different cameras and film? Been ages since I watched that. Would have been around 08 or so.

I know he said the film stock used wouldn't have been his first choice and some circumstance made it so that it was his only real option at the time. Whether he still regretted it afterward I'm not sure about, he certainly made an aesthetic out of it for sure.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

redshirt posted:

It's so tedious when characters have to learn the rules of zombies or whatever in a movie, I hate it

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

redshirt posted:

In Return of the Living Dead, after a pickaxe in the head fails to stop a zombie, the guy yells "well it works in the movies!"

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Shaun of the Dead handled it well with the "shhh, we don't say the Z word".

Technomancer
May 7, 2007
For all your technomagical needs

The Zombie Guy posted:

In Return of the Living Dead, after a pickaxe in the head fails to stop a zombie, the guy yells "well it works in the movies!"
I think the old guy even said that the (Romero) movies were based on real events, except they modified the details.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Apropos of nothing, but Return of the Living Dead parts 1 and 2 both still really hold up as absolute classics of the genre. Well worth going back to if you ever have the urge.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Return of the Living Dead was the 1st zombie movie I ever saw (at 5 no less!) and it cemented what I thought zombies should be (running, wanting brains, being able to talk).

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
And with Return of the Living Dead we’re back to Dan O’Bannon. What a great movie with so many unforgettable scenes AND one of the three best soundtrack albums of the entire decade.

Other two being Purple Rain and Repo Man, with Heavy Metal, Drugstore Cowboy, and This is Spinal Tap as honorable mentions.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Android Apocalypse posted:

Return of the Living Dead was the 1st zombie movie I ever saw (at 5 no less!) and it cemented what I thought zombies should be (running, wanting brains, being able to talk).

There are 2 novels by Brian Keene that have this premise, The Rising and City of the Dead. Scientists experimenting with high speed particle collision stuff end up punching a hole into another dimension, inhabited by immaterial demons. Now that there was a hole, they were freed to inhabit the remains of dead living things. The reanimated bodies were intelligent, and had access to memories in the brain. Imagine packs of zombies driving trucks, shooting guns, planning ambushes.

But anyway, I'm still thinkin bout thos Aliens

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

The Xenomorphs in Aliens are kinda like fast zombies. Utterly without fear or remorse, and strong and fast.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

That's pretty weak

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Except the xenonorph is the single most horrifying creature in the history of fiction*

Slow zombies, I can deal with. Large numbers of Jabberwockies, not so much. My mind would just shut down.

*IMO

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Pennywise you need to get on some Helldivers 2

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

The Zombie Guy posted:

"You mean the movie lied?!"

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Remulak posted:

And with Return of the Living Dead we’re back to Dan O’Bannon. What a great movie with so many unforgettable scenes AND one of the three best soundtrack albums of the entire decade.

Other two being Purple Rain and Repo Man, with Heavy Metal, Drugstore Cowboy, and This is Spinal Tap as honorable mentions.

Not Hardware?? For shame.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Per request, I’m x-posting this from the cosplay thread.

Doctor Zero posted:

Proving that I have more money than sense, I now have the most accurate Colonial Marines armor you can get without owning an original set. I'm 3d printing a shoulder lamp right now, and modifying / fixing / upgrading the resin pulse rifle I bought waaaaaaay back when no companies were making replicas. I can post pics of all that jazz and I can also answer questions about the armor. Are people interested?

Do you recognize this man?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Holy poo poo. That's amazing!

HiroProtagonist posted:

Pennywise you need to get on some Helldivers 2

My nephew just told me about this yesterday. He said it was very Starship Trooperesque. I'll definitely have to look into that one.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Doctor Zero posted:

is that oldaliensless?

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Pennywise the Frown posted:

My nephew just told me about this yesterday. He said it was very Starship Trooperesque. I'll definitely have to look into that one.

if it helps make your decision, the drop sequence music is literally Klendathu_drop.mp3

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

HiroProtagonist posted:

if it helps make your decision, the drop sequence music is literally Klendathu_drop.mp3

Only paying for song 2 for the trailers was some bullshit

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Only paying for song 2 for the trailers was some bullshit

Insufficient patriotism detected

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

HiroProtagonist posted:

:stare:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

MrMojok posted:

Except the xenonorph is the single most horrifying creature in the history of fiction*

Slow zombies, I can deal with. Large numbers of Jabberwockies, not so much. My mind would just shut down.

*IMO

Zombies are awful, and I wouldn't want one near me, but I guess they're more of an allegory of old age and people decaying? But also the horror movie aspect of them trying to eat you and get that poo poo away from me stuff. The xenomorph life-span is a horrifying sex thing made manifest, the first movie has John Hurt getting assaulted and then having them torn up from the inside out because of this awful creature. And we know Giger said he used a lot of sexual imagery for the xenomorph.

I'm just saying, zombies are bad, that is a given, but the xenomorph is an absolute nightmare.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
uhh ACTUALLY zombies are an allegory for the crushing weight of society and the threat it holds for the individual

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Sure, but as an individual, what do you do? You get eaten, or you shoot them in the head (this is the canon way of disposing of zombies), but the whole xenomorph thing is that they infest and then body horror you.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
they're way less scary than the killer wheat in alien covenant

tehslime
Jun 19, 2023

Aliens is amazing and IMO between Alien and Aliens the latter is the superior film.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Eau de MacGowan posted:

they're way less scary than the killer wheat in alien covenant
I think you're thinking of The Happening

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

tehslime posted:

Aliens is amazing and IMO between Alien and Aliens the latter is the superior film.

Pretty arguable.

Huh just checking out Ridley's filmography, I had no idea he directed Matchstick Men.

Pretty underrated movie and an actual great performance from Nicolas Cage, with almost no "Nicolas Cageing" that I remember.

Genuinely great twist too, check it out.

SilvergunSuperman fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Feb 12, 2024

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

tehslime posted:

between Alien and Aliens the latter is the superior film.

This, but the opposite :v:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I was gonna say the Alien/Aliens debate is the same as the Terminator/T2 debate, and they are very similar, but there's a big fundamental difference. Both Alien and Aliens were both pretty "small" films. As was The Terminator. T2 on the other hand is full on HUGE SUMMER BLOCKBUSTER which kinda puts it in a whole different category.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Doctor Zero posted:

Is that mother-fukken Terry English

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
That USCM armour cosplay is fucken clutch, I would deffo like to know more. Did you make it with resin over EVA foam? I commissioned a friend to build me a Doomslayer outfit a few years ago but ran out of money so it's on pause, but I learned a lot about the process. Would love USCM kit too, although I'd probably want to go all out and build a smartgun out of a deac MG42 and some motorcycle parts too. While I'm on the topic, what is the camouflage that the marines' BDUs are printed in? I'm a bit of an armchair general but never looked into whether it's an existing pattern.

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Pretty arguable.

Huh just checking out Ridley's filmography, I had no idea he directed Matchstick Men.

Pretty underrated movie and an actual great performance from Nicolas Cage, with almost no "Nicolas Cageing" that I remember.

Genuinely great twist too, check it out.

drat I didn't know this either. Great film, very predictable twist but it's executed well. I think I'll rewatch it soon, thanks for the reminder.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

ChickenHeart posted:

Is that mother-fukken Terry English

Yes! :swoon:

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Parkingtigers posted:

If you really need some good movies in the same vein, watch Predator and then watch Prey. And feel free to skip all the other films in that franchise too.

Ok. I just watched predator and prey. Good stuff goon, good stuff.

It's been a loooong time since I saw predator. I forgot all of the delightful Arnold humor in there. Prey really stood out as a well made movie.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
It always blows me away that Predator came together as a film at all, let alone the stone cold classic that we got. The story behind it makes it sound like it should have been a disaster, but it’s a masterpiece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Red Rox posted:

It always blows me away that Predator came together as a film at all, let alone the stone cold classic that we got. The story behind it makes it sound like it should have been a disaster, but it’s a masterpiece.

That was my takeaway seeing it with fresh eyes. It sounds like such a garbage, low budget premise that's executed flawlessly.

I still don't get how a thin smear of if mud blocks all body heat, but I'm here for it.