Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

sleepwalkers posted:

This still sounds like a freshman-level twisting of They Live to make your point about how VR sucks and a lot is designed to further enable consumerism, and also not "exactly like ... They Live"

I never said it was like the movie, i said it was like the glasses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Mister Facetious posted:

I never said it was like the movie, i said it was like the glasses

Right, there's "..." there to acknowledge that words have been trimmed, I did it because you were venturing a little outside of the point that the Vision Pro is like the glasses when you bring up two unrelated companies and what you understand Apple's intentions to be. Also imo the glasses kind of are the movie.

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Feb 12, 2024

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I figure this might be the place to ask... I swear I remember a place selling "partial" MacBook skins (e.g., like mountain silhouettes, that kind of thing) vs. the full ones that dbrand, FishSkyn, etc sell. Kind of similar to what you can get for water bottles. It's a midnight MBA, so looking for something that is basically black/dark-grey colored to keep it sleek looking. My work MBA has gotten some dings and scratches now, so I thought I'd take a look.

Anyone recall something like this?

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

movax posted:

I figure this might be the place to ask... I swear I remember a place selling "partial" MacBook skins (e.g., like mountain silhouettes, that kind of thing) vs. the full ones that dbrand, FishSkyn, etc sell. Kind of similar to what you can get for water bottles. It's a midnight MBA, so looking for something that is basically black/dark-grey colored to keep it sleek looking. My work MBA has gotten some dings and scratches now, so I thought I'd take a look.

Anyone recall something like this?

What do you mean by "partial"? I have a Dbrand one that's just covering the lid of my MBP.

\/\/
Ohhhh duh

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Feb 12, 2024

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i think they want a piece that is designed to use the macbook rear cover as a framing device e.g., the mentioned mountain scape put on over the apple or whatever like a classier sticker

movax
Aug 30, 2008

mediaphage posted:

i think they want a piece that is designed to use the macbook rear cover as a framing device e.g., the mentioned mountain scape put on over the apple or whatever like a classier sticker

Yep this exactly -- don't want a 'full' skin, just a partial for the lid. I tried a dbrand skin on my personal MBP... kinda chintzy looking but figured I'd give it a try.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I like the magic mouse but holy gently caress the right click is flaky as gently caress for some reason.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

MarcusSA posted:

I like the magic mouse but holy gently caress the right click is flaky as gently caress for some reason.

Is it like the mighty mouse, where the right click only really works reliably if you've got two fingers on it?No, I'm not sure how that works; I don't think the mighty mouse has pressure sensors, but iirc that was the trick

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Zenostein posted:

Is it like the mighty mouse, where the right click only really works reliably if you've got two fingers on it?No, I'm not sure how that works; I don't think the mighty mouse has pressure sensors, but iirc that was the trick

Lord I don't know but it feels like the zone for the right click is really drat tiny

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
So I just got a 2023 14 inch MacBook Pro M2 and it's pretty nice. Definitely feels a lot sturdier than the 2020 13 inch MBP i7 that I had.

I've been looking at some of the hard shells and soft cases but not sure if it's necessary. Any accessories that you would recommend? I already put on a webcam cover.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Busy Bee posted:

So I just got a 2023 14 inch MacBook Pro M2 and it's pretty nice. Definitely feels a lot sturdier than the 2020 13 inch MBP i7 that I had.

I've been looking at some of the hard shells and soft cases but not sure if it's necessary. Any accessories that you would recommend? I already put on a webcam cover.

A microfibre cloth and a decent bag (I like tomtoc - no idea if that exists where you are). Don’t put any case on there, put it in the bag whenever you carry it around and clean it regularly. Start the habit of wiping the keyboard down before closing the laptop. Since these devices close so snugly, one little crumb can break the screen if you’re unlucky. Also I recommend always washing hands before using it - the screen coating really doesn’t like some skin oils. :v:

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Honj Steak posted:

A microfibre cloth and a decent bag (I like tomtoc - no idea if that exists where you are). Don’t put any case on there, put it in the bag whenever you carry it around and clean it regularly. Start the habit of wiping the keyboard down before closing the laptop. Since these devices close so snugly, one little crumb can break the screen if you’re unlucky. Also I recommend always washing hands before using it - the screen coating really doesn’t like some skin oils. :v:

Good idea, I also read online that I shouldn't put a webcam cover on because it could crack the screen. I made sure to not cover the sensor on the left hand side but besides that, should I actually be worried?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Why do you need a webcam cover?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Busy Bee posted:

hard shells are dumb and will scratch up the finish on your computer

just put the thing in a bag or on a desk or tabletop when not in use

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

MarcusSA posted:

Why do you need a webcam cover?

Some people are extra paranoid and like to put a little tin foil hat on their webcam as well as their heads.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I suppose it's good for privacy reasons when you're on an actual call, but I thought the power for the Mac webcams was hardware routed through the LED so it was impossible for your camera to be on and the little LED light not to be lit.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
if you’re absolutely paranoid, a piece of post-it note cut to size will do the trick without adding a dangerous amount of material, but lol at doing that boomer poo poo

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

It’s also been the case for laptops period for quite a while now.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

trilobite terror posted:

if you’re absolutely paranoid, a piece of post-it note cut to size will do the trick without adding a dangerous amount of material, but lol at doing that boomer poo poo

gently caress not even MY dad does that

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

gently caress not even MY dad does that

my mom does, and every time she has to FaceTime with her iPad she has to peel the little paper rectangle she made off and stash it somewhere, it’s very funny to us

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

trilobite terror posted:

my mom does, and every time she has to FaceTime with her iPad she has to peel the little paper rectangle she made off and stash it somewhere, it’s very funny to us

My dad charges his devices by taking them into the kitchen, placing them on a dinner plate, and placing the plate on the stove with the charging cable connected to the nearby power point. This is in case any of them catch fire when they’re charging. And he never puts things on a charger while he’s asleep.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
my dad has one of those screen protectors on his laptop that eliminates the viewing angle and a camera sticker. seems like a hassle tbh

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

The Lord Bude posted:

My dad charges his devices by taking them into the kitchen, placing them on a dinner plate, and placing the plate on the stove with the charging cable connected to the nearby power point. This is in case any of them catch fire when they’re charging. And he never puts things on a charger while he’s asleep.

This rules

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Hello thread. I'm using this old Mac Mini from 2019 which sometimes has difficulties with the HDMI output. If I switch my monitor to a different input source (work laptop), then later back to Mac Mini, sometimes my Mac just refuses to restart the HDMI signal, monitor behaves as if the Mac is asleep, and the only way to recover is to shut down the power to the Mac Mini (remote login then restart isn't enough, has to be power off).

Is there some list of "known good" display cables for Macs or anything like that? I've tried a couple different basic HDMI cables (Amazon Basics one of them, other I can't remember) as well as a USB-C to HDMI cable, getting the same issue with all of them. Doesn't happen very often but is super annoying when it does.

Maybe the hardware/firmware/whatever on this old Mac Mini is just busted, really annoying to try to diagnose what exactly the problem is.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Honj Steak posted:

You're touching it wrong

its HIM
Oct 22, 2013
Maybe I’m the only idiot who’s ever hit the wrong button and turned on the camera whilst in my bathrobe during a work meeting… but I slapped a nice thin webcam cover on mine after that; it’s caused the MacBook zero grief and I’m happy I have it there.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I always assumed running Open Core Legacy Patcher would be an ordeal, but it really isn’t and nice to see how smooth Sonoma is running on 2013 hardware. It’s definitely nicer having the same macOS version running across all 3 machines, even if cloud synced stuff generally behaved well when feature sets differ.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

its HIM posted:

Maybe I’m the only idiot who’s ever hit the wrong button and turned on the camera whilst in my bathrobe during a work meeting… but I slapped a nice thin webcam cover on mine after that; it’s caused the MacBook zero grief and I’m happy I have it there.

I just keep a pack of black sticky notes and cut out pieces of the sticky part.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This Magic Mouse is gonna do my head in.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a decent mouse?

I need a drat middle mouse button click lol

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

MX Master.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

MarcusSA posted:

This Magic Mouse is gonna do my head in.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a decent mouse?

I need a drat middle mouse button click lol

DXT Mouse: https://www.dxtmouse.com/

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Skeezy posted:

MX Master.

I'll second this, as long as it's the MX Master 3

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Canned Sunshine posted:

I use one of these at work, would recommend to anyone and everyone needing a mouse

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This looks interesting but I dunno.

Canned Sunshine posted:

Thanks! I’ll see about picking one up!

They make little cases for them too which is nice

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Skeezy posted:

MX Master.

the M720 Triathlon is the budget version of the MX. Pretty much the same thing but like less chrome and maybe a bit more plasticky. IDK, I've had mine for four years and it's great. Lets you easily switch between three devices which is nice for my PC, Mac, and iPad.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
If you're getting a new mouse you'll have to get used to anyway, get something ergnomic like the DXT already mentioned or the Logitech MX Vertical. It's better for your wrist.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
A switched from a Magic Mouse to a Master a few months ago and honestly while it’s probably been better ergonomically I honestly miss all my custom gestures more often than not. It’s whatever I guess. One weird quirk is that the horizontal scroll wheel doesn’t really work how you would expect it to and doesn’t allow for panning in most apps. Lots of little case by case things that will pop up if you’re used to just free wheeling with a Magic Mouse.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Roadie posted:

If you're getting a new mouse you'll have to get used to anyway, get something ergnomic like the DXT already mentioned or the Logitech MX Vertical. It's better for your wrist.

Ok but the DXT used a usb dongle? It says RF not Bluetooth

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
right hand tragic macpad left hand lefty ergo mouse supremacy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

trilobite terror posted:

the M720 Triathlon is the budget version of the MX. Pretty much the same thing but like less chrome and maybe a bit more plasticky. IDK, I've had mine for four years and it's great. Lets you easily switch between three devices which is nice for my PC, Mac, and iPad.

I love the M720 Triathlon but they're prone to suffering the Logitech double-click curse. The MX Master 3 lets you switch between three devices too, and it also has the horizontal scroll wheel which is a bit gimmicky but if you do a lot of spreadsheet work, can actually be pretty nice.