Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

LMAO if you think a door-to-door solar seller is taking structural considerations into account properly when installing your solar, but if you don't want to run the conduit and/or pull the cables you can hire an electrician to do that part.

I didn't use any of those sellers specifically because they didn't give a poo poo about anything other than getting panels on surfaces. I used a reputable installer that actually talked to me about code and load tolerances to account for snow.

If you think you can DIY it then have at it, and I'm in agreement that 98% of installers are dog poo poo, but I'm happy I paid the premium for the specific installer I used because they actually were professional and considered a lot of aspects of the system design that I'd have never thought of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

Time for a relaxing getaway in the dungeon!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
For the love of God, Montresor!

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
I was lucky enough that my brother in law works for a solar company owned by my wife's cousin, and they are actually pretty dang reputable. They also worked with me in the permitting and during the install to make sure everything was being installed where and how I expected, but I think we were getting a lot of special treatment being related to the bosses. Got our interconnect application in to PGE just before the phase out of NEM2, so we have 20-years of favorable net metering moving forward.

Not so lucky in that the neutral forming transformer in our enphase controller seems to have shat the bed today. Controller thought it went off grid when we still had PGE up, and throwing the rapid shutdown resulted in a loud buzzing from the NFT location and only one of the 110 legs from the grid actually making it into our house. Had to do a full manual shutdown and throw a switch behind a "do not remove" sticker to get the solar and batteries hard shutdown and not loving with the grid power. Looks like we're in for a service call.

Edit: and of course it happens on the first day in weeks we have had good sun and was getting a lot of export at peak rates. Will probably be fixed just in time for the rain to come again towards the end of the week and I'll be lucky for the batteries to even hit full charge during the day.

ROJO fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Feb 11, 2024

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
You’re with Portland General? Sounds like getting solar was worth it in the PNW? I am considering it in the distant future but google solar calculator had me just breaking even after 20 years.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

raggedphoto posted:

You’re with Portland General? Sounds like getting solar was worth it in the PNW? I am considering it in the distant future but google solar calculator had me just breaking even after 20 years.

If you are responding to me, no, I am in CA on Pacific Gas and Electric, who just rolled out their third rate hike in what feels like 12 months. Lots of sun (not lately) and bullshit prices mean my payback is hopefully pretty short.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

ROJO posted:

If you are responding to me, no, I am in CA on Pacific Gas and Electric, who just rolled out their third rate hike in what feels like 12 months. Lots of sun (not lately) and bullshit prices mean my payback is hopefully pretty short.

PG&E helpfully sent me an email warning that my January bill was going to be 20% higher than it was same month last year. And I'm like, yeah, you raise your prices every three months because you're finally remediating burning down entire towns every year. Why aren't you state run again?

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

Wifi Toilet posted:

Time for a relaxing getaway in the dungeon!

B... barbarian? :ohdear:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

First of May posted:

PG&E helpfully sent me an email warning that my January bill was going to be 20% higher than it was same month last year. And I'm like, yeah, you raise your prices every three months because you're finally remediating burning down entire towns every year. Why aren't you state run again?

They spent all the money on advertising how great they are.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Platystemon posted:

They spent all the money on advertising how great they are.

"We are finally burying the lines!" (after saying it wasn't cost effective, them burning down multiple towns, then being pressured by everyone, then passing the cost on to you)

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you

ROJO posted:

Thanks. The Dollop did a show on PG&E that was pretty infuriating, crazy how much deregulation screwed everyone over.

It was also a minor annoyance when I was researching installing a new service to my house because PGE (portland general) gets buried under search results for PG&E.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

why

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

It looks like it ran around the top of the whole run but that's the last man standing guard.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

The Dave posted:

It looks like it ran around the top of the whole run but that's the last man standing guard.

And it was punched through the wall in the corner to keep from having to make a super sharp bend.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

titty_baby_ posted:

"We are finally burying the lines!" (after saying it wasn't cost effective, them burning down multiple towns, then being pressured by everyone, then passing the cost on to you)

Lmao, in New York we have power outages when there's a stiff breeze and the utilities try to make every excuse under the sun to not bury the lines. Nice to know it'll just take half the state burning down for them to ever take action.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
A nearby high-traffic road is being expanded so it's two lanes in each direction plus turn lanes (where previously it was anywhere from that to just three lanes total with unprotected left turns). A truly massive undertaking, totally redoing the wastewater lines and everything.

... and they're putting in loving overhead lines. On a road where once every year or two trees take down lines and cut power to huge swaths of homes.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Uthor posted:

And it was punched through the wall in the corner to keep from having to make a super sharp bend.

Ahh, that could be the reason.

Not sure how I want to re-route it yet. Might just cut it short and mount a new plug in the corner.
That or run a new power cable behind the wall.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

tetrapyloctomy posted:

A nearby high-traffic road is being expanded so it's two lanes in each direction plus turn lanes (where previously it was anywhere from that to just three lanes total with unprotected left turns). A truly massive undertaking, totally redoing the wastewater lines and everything.

... and they're putting in loving overhead lines. On a road where once every year or two trees take down lines and cut power to huge swaths of homes.

Could be temporary lines

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

brugroffil posted:

Could be temporary lines

We can hope (but probably should not).

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

brugroffil posted:

Could be temporary lines
That's not the capitalist way of thinking. "Temporary" means "So we can get permission to put them up and then use them as an excuse to not do anything further since they get the job done and doing something properly costs money".

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

PainterofCrap posted:

I have a claim now winding up to a denial.
Policyholder’s bathroom ceiling fell in. Drywall was wet; insulation above it was saturated.

They were puzzled by this because the roof was replaced within the past year by…the roofer subbed from the solar-panel installation company they contracted. Said that they had to replace the roof (which is rolled asphalt/bitumen) before the panels could be installed.

Turns out the roofers removed the chimney structure completely, sheathed & rolled right over it. Leaving no chimney at all. It’s not entirely clear how exactly this happened.

In any event, the gas hot-water heater was venting directly into the attic space, which was only a foot or so above the ceilings below. But things really got going when they fired up the gas furnace last November…only took a couple months for the humidity to turn that space into an equatorial jungle environment.

The engineer I sent out confirmed that there were no roof leaks. The entire attic space was saturated by combustion by-product moisture.

The best part? They never replaced the roof! They re-sealed seams, and laid some patches here & there, and sheeted over the chimney base…but the insured paid for a new roof. Oh, and when the roofers demolished the masonry chimney structure below the roofline, they packed the flue with masonry debris.

How no one died, I do not know. I sent them the engineer’s report, and I imagine that they’re looking for a good lawyer. No homeowner’s policy covers this kind of thing. They’ve already paid +$10K for a new chimney.

The sheer amount of scam and grift in the above just stuns me.
I'm glad that I have a working knowledge of stuff like this, so it's unlikely to slip by me, but saddened that these scum dupe average people who trust experts and tradesmen to help them deal with things they have no need to have knowledge of.

skybolt_1 posted:

That story is just bananas. I don't understand how people can be so disconnected from their day to day reality that they wouldn't somehow grasp that maybe, just maybe, things weren't being done properly when they noticed a missing chimney. I'm really hoping that this was an absentee landlord or very elderly person scenario....

Also, I'll just leave this here as a warning to others.

I love how greed and capitalism have managed to mostly destroy something that could help us all.

I installed a video doorbell specifically so I could ignore or tell to gently caress off door-to-door salesmen (I don't handle face-to-face confrontation well - I envy people who can do that.)

Renovated house with butler's stairs left in place?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

PainterofCrap posted:

We solved that problem with a sewing-machine table. He couldn't get up there without expending extreme effort.

is that a terrazzo floor?

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Darchangel posted:

The sheer amount of scam and grift in the above just stuns me.
I'm glad that I have a working knowledge of stuff like this, so it's unlikely to slip by me, but saddened that these scum dupe average people who trust experts and tradesmen to help them deal with things they have no need to have knowledge of.

I love how greed and capitalism have managed to mostly destroy something that could help us all.

I installed a video doorbell specifically so I could ignore or tell to gently caress off door-to-door salesmen (I don't handle face-to-face confrontation well - I envy people who can do that.)

attic access stairs so a remodel seems like the right idea, pretty well done for how sorta janky it is

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

Cat Hatter posted:

I always thought this was interesting in a "how do we talk to aliens" sort of way, but it's also useless in any practical sense. There's no way that a warning sign in a dozen languages isn't going to be understandable to someone. Even in some distant Mad Max dystopian future they'll probably still have legends of the bombs that killed everyone and destroyed everything and have at least one historian or scientist that can read something or recognize a radiation symbol. What dye were they planning on using that will outlast every written language on Earth for the dyed concrete?

My favorite suggestion is "just bury it and don't put up any warning so nobody will actively look for it!" Maybe that'll be useful in a very specific circumstance 10,000 years from now, but it's going to be a big problem in about 50 years when the land gets sold off and someone drills a well into a nuclear waste site.

Yes, I know Mad Max was originally after a non nuclear war.

Sorry for being pages behind, but after years of thinking about this my go-to answer has been “gently caress AROUND/FIND OUT” all caps on a sign out front and let the first few adventurers be a warning to the rest like the boots person on Everest 🤷‍♂️

e: It will at least help carry the most important phrase of this century into the next millenia.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

actionjackson posted:

is that a terrazzo floor?

No! it's an Armstrong sheet vinyl floor, style "Starstep." Installed in 1998. No longer made, unfortunately.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Darchangel posted:

Narrow, insanely steep, no handrails, no room to put more than the tips of your toes on each step.

Yep, butler's stairs.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I have seen this done in real life, where in my case, downspouts were not removed prior to mini split install, and HVAC guy did this exact same thing. Twice.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Just cut the pipe and reconnect the downspout. No sweat.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
when minigames invade real life

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Only God will help you if you run an unbalanced load in that washing machine.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

HGTV themed home alone reboot looks like poo poo

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

When you're playing House Flipper and you just start placing required poo poo anywhere to complete the level.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Arrath posted:

Only God will help you if you run an unbalanced load in that washing machine.

Better wash that rug...

Think of it though. The ungodly mess it would make. The noise alone...

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
The washing machine is a defensive feature of the house, designed to create plausible deniability in parts of the world that don't have castle defence ideology in their laws.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
That's clearly a Home Alone trap

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002