Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

chaosapiant posted:

It was called “radiant quests” in Skyrim and later games, so you’re not entirely wrong.

Related but different. Radiant AI was instead of saying “Sit in this chair and eat this apple” you just say “Eat” and they find a random food and chair in their location.

Radiant Quests were added in Skyrim, where instead of saying “The prisoner is in this bandit hideout” it finds a random bandit hideout you haven’t yet visited and puts the prisoner there.

Starfield’s mission boards are all Radiant Quests. As are the “Buy the book from $SHOP”, “Collect from the debtor in $SHACK”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Didn’t the original Radiant AI for oblivion occasionally lead to bugfuck stuff like “I want to sweep shop. Therefore, I want broom. I do not have broom. Neighbor lady has broom. Kill neighbor lady, take broom, sweep shop.”

Yes, it extremely cooked before they decided that was too much chaos

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
You can still seem some slight aspects of NPC decision making in Skyrim. I once acquired a bounty of five gold, and it was unnoticeable when running errands in White Run ... Except that the hunter that sells meat would always draw his bow and engage me when I entered the market. I thought he was bugged, but when I looked into it someone pointed out that actually he's just more willing to confront criminals than other NPCs; so everyone else was letting it slide but not him. I had to reload after killing him and then go find a guard away from the market and pay up.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish
You heard it here first--the new Starfield Narrative is "Now that it's coming to PS5, gamers will finally admit it's a great game, actually!

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!

webmeister posted:

any kind of computer generated content

you can call curated randomized content "parameterized" or "templated" in games, because we have a framework that is human designed that is fetching curated elements to fill its parameters or working from connected templates. some places use different terminology but these two are what I'm most used to.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Chillmatic posted:

You heard it here first--the new Starfield Narrative is "Now that it's coming to PS5, gamers will finally admit it's a great game, actually!

There probably will be a lot of people going “hey, this game isn’t as bad as I heard!” when it goes to PS5, because it’s a game that does make a good first impression. Then 90 percent of the players will burn out on it or realize the million ways it’s thoughtlessly put together.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

There probably will be a lot of people going “hey, this game isn’t as bad as I heard!” when it goes to PS5, because it’s a game that does make a good first impression. Then 90 percent of the players will burn out on it or realize the million ways it’s thoughtlessly put together.

You're right, but that cycle is going to get speed run. The discourse is already out there, it's not developing like it did at launch. If someone looks up Starfield on Youtube they're going to have a million videos dissecting why it's kinda lame right from the get go.

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!

webmeister posted:

All of those mission board quests are AI generated I think?

Like all those ones where “trade authority wants you to clear system xx of pirates” or “deliver 30 glue to system yy” are surely just ai generated, and the actual story/faction/side quest stuff is all hand crafted (and of varying quality)

We really need to move away from calling every single algorithm AI

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Part of the original "radiant AI" thing was about how NPCs had schedules of "stuff they need to do" and the "special" part about it was that they'd do their own pathfinding (er, "figuring out how to get their goals completed") instead of "just adhere to this one route at this one specific scheduled time"

which is kind of funny in the context of nobody having a schedule anymore
Even that wasn't AI. If you looked at it in the creation kit, all it was, was a scheduler that made the npc move from point a to point b and perform an action, like stand "here", sleep in your bed, etc. Even the movement across cities had nothing intelligent about it. The paths had to be manually placed in the creation kit for every NPC.
You could program simple scripts in lua and attach them to an npc object to make them do a little bit more stuff, but if it wasn't programmed and attached to the NPC, the npc was completely incapable of doing anything.

Cyrano4747 posted:

The actual "radiant AI" was only in Oblivion and was removed for Skyrim. It could cause a lot of problems with important NPCs wandering off because their pathing took them to a weird place and either getting killed or the player just not being able to find them. Oblivion nerds will talk about it like it's a lost treasure, and arguably it does make Oblivion a better pure gently caress around simulator, but the reasons why they stuck with more traditional defined pathing in Skyim are sound.

Of course by then "radiant" was a buzzword for them so they just meant it to use anything procedurally generated, hence "radiant quests" which is a term you see in both Skyrim and IIRC FO4.
Yeah that's what I'm describing above. There was absolutely nothing intelligent about NPCs in Skyrim and it was entirely artificial make believe. Yet, still the world of Skyrim felt more alive than Starfield does.

Lollerich fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Feb 5, 2024

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
I am just gonna put this here:
https://procedural-generation.tumblr.com/post/112509130817/elite-1984-elite-created-by-ian-bell-and-david

https://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Classic_Elite_planet_descriptions

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Majora’s Mask, a game from a quarter century ago that was made to run on hardware that was a bit poo poo even at the time had a world that felt more alive than Starfield. The NPCs were all on set paths but at least they moved around and more importantly, had ties to the actual world they inhabited. It’s not just the lack of routines that makes the NPCs feel lifeless in Starfield, it’s that they’re so barely-there I’m concerned the “C” in NPC is giving Bethesda more credit than they’ve earned.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
The NPCs in Assassin's Creed feel more alive than the folks in Starfield.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Lollerich posted:

We really need to move away from calling every single algorithm AI

Even that wasn't AI. If you looked at it in the creation kit, all it was, was a scheduler that made the npc move from point a to point b and perform an action, like stand "here", sleep in your bed, etc. Even the movement across cities had nothing intelligent about it. The paths had to be manually placed in the creation kit for every NPC.
You could program simple scripts in lua and attach them to an npc object to make them do a little bit more stuff, but if it wasn't programmed and attached to the NPC, the npc was completely incapable of doing anything.

Yeah that's what I'm describing above. There was absolutely nothing intelligent about NPCs in Skyrim and it was entirely artificial make believe. Yet, still the world of Skyrim felt more alive than Starfield does.

"AI" in games has always been such a different thing that you should think of it as a completely distinct meaning of the word than the current "AI" buzzword (which is also not intelligent but in a different way).

In video game terms, the enemies in Halo, the NPCs in Skyrim, and the opposing players in Civ are all examples of AI despite not having a shred of intelligence to them. We just call it AI because we've always called it AI, it's like how in 50 years when all cars are electric we'll probably still be calling it a gas pedal.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

There probably will be a lot of people going “hey, this game isn’t as bad as I heard!” when it goes to PS5, because it’s a game that does make a good first impression.

...does it?? Were you really excited from the start? It's an incredibly dull opener, I thought, having you mining rocks for the first fifteen minutes and then a couple lovely little shootouts before you go to New Atlantis and spend another few hours meeting all the bland companions and doing lovely intro quests.

I remember articles like "Starfield doesn't get good til you're ten hours in" popping up right after launch. I read them before playing, got ten hours in and wondered if I'd made it to the good parts yet. (And the answer was yes, but "good" is only relative)

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I really hated getting to constellation and having to listen to them talk for another ten minutes as they ignored me doing sick kick flips off the side of a table until it was my turn to talk

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Starfield got good for me when I started loving about with shipbuilding, the only interesting mechanic in the game.

It stopped being good once I realised the modules don't connect in a sensible way, so you create a maze every time, and all the clutter fill up your cargo space because of how the game does things.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
You can avoid creating a maze, but you are somewhat limited in how you connect things. Basically you can build a central spine out of gangways and the thing will generally prioritize doors to those over everything else. Then use gangways wherever you want connections between units. You just end up wasting a lot of space and having some limitations on orientation, and having to use a lot of cosmetic bits to smooth over the design.

It's bad, and being able to choose where doors are manually would obviously be preferable, but within the limitations of the ship builder you can make consistent layouts like that.

Notably, for the most part, NPC ships that are encountered in the wild are not built like this, and will have exactly the same kind of labyrinthine interior layouts you'd get with the same design. Which is hilarious, and also bad.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Feb 5, 2024

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Phenotype posted:

...does it?? Were you really excited from the start? It's an incredibly dull opener, I thought, having you mining rocks for the first fifteen minutes and then a couple lovely little shootouts before you go to New Atlantis and spend another few hours meeting all the bland companions and doing lovely intro quests.

I remember articles like "Starfield doesn't get good til you're ten hours in" popping up right after launch. I read them before playing, got ten hours in and wondered if I'd made it to the good parts yet. (And the answer was yes, but "good" is only relative)

Maybe not first first but I kind of always mentally write off the on-rails starts to games like this. Once I had some freedom I ended up on the UC Vanguard quest the game points you at and was like “oh wow, this is really cool! If this is a side quest imagine what the rest is like!”

The dissapointment after I wrapped that quest line up was absolute.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
The ship builder feels like the marquee system to me, like the power armour in Fallout 4. It's the only interesting system they made, and there's some fiddly stuff you can do with it. It's not as integrated into the rest of the mechanics as the power armour system was, but it's a start. Give it a couple years of Cyberpunk level patching and it might be a cool system you want to gently caress around with.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The shipyard system is fundamentally hobbled by the rest of the game not really giving you anything fun to do with those ships.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
It's funny because I started the game knowing the twist, so I spent a long time with "when I hit the last loop I want to do I'll spend some real time on making a sweet as big house-ship, everything until then will just be a brick with guns"

so my disappointment with the nuances of ship construction got well and truly deferred and thinking "well this part is going to be the best part" for nearly the entire time I played it

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Philippe posted:

The NPCs in Assassin's Creed feel more alive than the folks in Starfield.

The t-posing mannequins in star citizen seem more alive than the bug eyed mutants in starfield.

But yes assassins creed had pretty good general immersion and NPCs / opponents wandering the map did a lot to make you feel things were going on around you rather than everything happening in a stasis locked bubble.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I’ve been holding off on picking the game back up until Bethesda puts out some significant gameplay fixes and updates. Is that uh, is that going to happen?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
When they said January I think they meant 2025

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

moist turtleneck posted:

When they said January I think they meant 2025

There's plenty of Januaries left in this decades!

But yeah they were originally saying there was going to be plenty of DLC's coming out, with the sales how they've been pretty sure they're re-thinking that.

For sure one dlc, as that was promised with the expensive edition, and the editor, as it would be stupid not to put that out.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Tiny Timbs posted:

I’ve been holding off on picking the game back up until Bethesda puts out some significant gameplay fixes and updates. Is that uh, is that going to happen?

You're probably better off waiting for the complete edition with all the DLCs and poo poo in a few years.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

dr_rat posted:

There's plenty of Januaries left in this decades!

But yeah they were originally saying there was going to be plenty of DLC's coming out, with the sales how they've been pretty sure they're re-thinking that.

For sure one dlc, as that was promised with the expensive edition, and the editor, as it would be stupid not to put that out.

Have the sales been crap? I thought they were fine, if not FO4 levels. Anywho, I'm fine either way. It is what it is.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Sandepande posted:

Have the sales been crap? I thought they were fine, if not FO4 levels. Anywho, I'm fine either way. It is what it is.

Yeah, it sold really well. I've seen estimates around 2 million copies and Microsoft is claiming something nuts like three times that installs via XBGP. They also said in an earnings call that they saw a massive spike in XBGP subs - including the highest single day total ever - right before Starfield launched.

That said, they're not going to get creamed on this one but the next game. Bad games (or movies) that are part of a popular franchise don't fall off a cliff when the one everyone hates comes out, they fall off a cliff at the next one because everyone takes a wait and see approach.

Take the most recent Star Wars trilogy as an example. The Force Awakens did $2 billion at the box office despite kind of tepid reception. The Last Jedi only did $1.3 billion, and then The Rise of Skywalker limped in at $1 billion.

The real question is how many pre-orders and day 1 sales the next big Beth title gets. Maybe they drag out development of the next TES game enough that people forget about this or assume it will be different.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Feb 12, 2024

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah, it sold really well. I've seen estimates around 2 million copies and Microsoft is claiming something nuts like three times that installs via XBGP. They also said in an earnings call that they saw a massive spike in XBGP subs - including the highest single day total ever - right before Starfield launched.

I'm the gamepass subscriber who signed on the night it was released. This suddenly makes me curious how many people cancelled after one or two months.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Inspector Hound posted:

I'm the gamepass subscriber who signed on the night it was released. This suddenly makes me curious how many people cancelled after one or two months.

With those kind of subscription services any kind of uptake is good uptake, since subs tend to be sticky and a certain percentage of people will just never get around to canceling.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

With those kind of subscription services any kind of uptake is good uptake, since subs tend to be sticky and a certain percentage of people will just never get around to canceling.

And there are other games available to tempt you to stay. Come for the "I don't want to spend 70 dollars on this one game" but stay for the "I don't have to spend 70 dollars for ANY of these games, actually!"

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah, it sold really well. I've seen estimates around 2 million copies and Microsoft is claiming something nuts like three times that installs via XBGP.

That seems pretty firmly in “sounds like a lot of copies but could have been a huge departure from expectations” territory to me

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish

Tiny Timbs posted:

That seems pretty firmly in “sounds like a lot of copies but could have been a huge departure from expectations” territory to me

It's a massive departure when you consider the kinds of numbers Microsoft was expecting the game to do. It was meant to be next 'game everyone plays for ten years', like Skyrim. It was supposed to keep people hooked on game pass.

It was not that and did not do that.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
To put it into perspective, BG3 has apparently sold tens of millions of copies.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
How much would it of cost to make, especially consider how long it was in development? I've seen it had sales figures of about 12 million at the highest, which while that's a lot, is that even in break even territory when costs are considered?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

dr_rat posted:

How much would it of cost to make, especially consider how long it was in development? I've seen it had sales figures of about 12 million at the highest, which while that's a lot, is that even in break even territory when costs are considered?

Regardless of the actual number, it’s insane that a AAA made… this.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
game still sucks, right

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
the most annoying thing they could do next, is release the vr version

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Starfield: Game of the Year edition

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

dr_rat posted:

It depends on how much of the 'in-development' time was actually it being worked on and not just put on a shelf until time allowed to touch it again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Al! posted:

the most annoying thing they could do next, is release the vr version

Oh hell no.

Fallout 4 loving ruined VR for me. I don't typically have problems with motion sickness, but FO4VR gave me the too-much-macaroni-sweats before I even made it to the Vault. I was primarily using it for racing with no real issues (other than fatigue from having a plastic brick strapped to your face) but FO4 did something to my eyes or my brain or, gently caress, idk, my prostate to where I can't do it anymore without getting a headache almost immediately.