Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I wanna put decals on my dang ship, and find weird parts to mix and match, building some spacefaring monstrosity.

They're never going to let us make custom penis-ships. The lego building game died to show us that we cannot be trusted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Devor posted:

They're never going to let us make custom penis-ships. The lego building game died to show us that we cannot be trusted.

Bah, a lot of ships and freighters already look like dicks anyway, what's the difference?

I'm rewatching the VGA trailer for NMS and the really quick preview of what's coming, and.... New space stations? Oh man, they look soooo nice.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I just use the Multitool that fits my aesthetic. if I need to upgrade it to not suck, then so be it.

my character has the monster head you can get from the scrap dealer and uses an alien multitool

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i haaaaaaaate having more than one multitool. i did think about grabbing a junker but ugh, not until they let you ditch a multitool so you only have one.

Uh, why?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

on my last game, on two separate occasions the game saw fit to randomly switch me from my primary, souped-up multitool to a lovely throwaway one i had at extremely inopportune times. between that and the game just having no reason for you to ever need a second multitool, i will continue just having one.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

the game does have a reason for you to need a second multitool, though: core jumping.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I'm so glad they let you pulp multi-tools on the Anomaly now. I only have a Royal one, one junky Sentinel rifle-looking one and like three different colored staves because they look slick.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Zodium posted:

the game does have a reason for you to need a second multitool, though: core jumping.

or i could spent two minutes taking my tech outta the slots before i core jump and not have to worry about the game deciding to randomly swap me to a lovely multitool that doesn't even have a boltcaster while i am staring at a huge predator trying to vore me while i'm on permadeath

Stare-Out posted:

I'm so glad they let you pulp multi-tools on the Anomaly now. I only have a Royal one, one junky Sentinel rifle-looking one and like three different colored staves because they look slick.

wait, you can ditch them now? last time i had more, there was no way to get rid of them aside from swap one for another.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

you can absolutely spend two minutes taking your tech outta the slots before you core jump if you really want to, but the game does give you reasons to have multiple mts. that's 500 minutes swapping mods going to every galaxy. it also doesn't randomly swap mts, you probably just hit the button.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
I'm playing on PS5 and I feel tremendous relief about my multitools only being reachable for switching when I go into a submenu of a submenu, no way I could accidentally switch my tools.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

wait, you can ditch them now? last time i had more, there was no way to get rid of them aside from swap one for another.

There's a thing on the left (looking straight at the whole Anomaly) that lets you dismantle multi-tools, yeah. Just like you can dismantle ships. It nets you a bunch of good stuff too to the point where hunting high-quality multi-tools is a worthwhile pursuit now.

Wiki link

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Stare-Out posted:

There's a thing on the left (looking straight at the whole Anomaly) that lets you dismantle multi-tools, yeah. Just like you can dismantle ships. It nets you a bunch of good stuff too to the point where hunting high-quality multi-tools is a worthwhile pursuit now.

Wiki link

oh hell yes, maybe i will get a throwaway one next time i start working on my journey

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

the most annoying thing about the staves is that other players only see the default colours, so to them my sick white and purple staff is just boring green and whatever.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

the most annoying thing about the staves is that other players only see the default colours, so to them my sick white and purple staff is just boring green and whatever.

poo poo is that true? My staff is perfectly color-coordinated too. :(

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Weeeeelp, lost my 15+ hour permadeath save in a ship battle for a freighter. Zigged when I should have zagged, and I STILL want to keep trying.

Lost my ships, lost my bases (I mean, technically not, but c'mon).

Also, I landed on a planet last night called Beth Prime (undiscovered) and that sounds VERY familiar. I googled it and all I got were Rick and Morty links, and I've never watched that show, so :shrug:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

fun fact: if you accept an invite from another player and start a new save to do so, it will put you in their galaxy. so if you want to start in a lush, empty or, if you're feeling real spicy, harsh galaxy in a new permadeath save, let me know~

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Weeeeelp, lost my 15+ hour permadeath save in a ship battle for a freighter. Zigged when I should have zagged, and I STILL want to keep trying.

drat that sucks. Did you know you can repair your shield in combat just like you do the hazard protection and oxygen on foot? Also use the lock on / auto follow option, makes it much easier. Somehow your ship can turn much faster using it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

VegasGoat posted:

drat that sucks. Did you know you can repair your shield in combat just like you do the hazard protection and oxygen on foot? Also use the lock on / auto follow option, makes it much easier. Somehow your ship can turn much faster using it.

I did both of these, which helps me win all of the battles before this one. I just got completely overwhelmed.

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

fun fact: if you accept an invite from another player and start a new save to do so, it will put you in their galaxy. so if you want to start in a lush, empty or, if you're feeling real spicy, harsh galaxy in a new permadeath save, let me know~

I might take you up on that offer, especially if you have a planet close to a galaxy core. I just want that drat achievement. Well achievements, plural, as getting the permadeath one also gives you the survival one at the same time.

You still on the east coast, in :canada: like I am, or am I mis-remembering from the old Minecraft days?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i've got a small base right next to the galactic core in most galaxies from 1 to 29 right now. and yeah i am on the east coast.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i've got a small base right next to the galactic core in most galaxies from 1 to 29 right now. and yeah i am on the east coast.

Then I may PM you to stop on by one of your bases sometime. Thanks!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

Oh drat that sounds pretty fun

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

And off we go

https://x.com/NoMansSky/status/1756254530797240617

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
an omega symbol doesn't seem like a good thing when their next game has been announced :ohdear:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

It's just the long-awaited God of War crossover, I'm sure.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Also, I landed on a planet last night called Beth Prime (undiscovered) and that sounds VERY familiar. I googled it and all I got were Rick and Morty links, and I've never watched that show, so :shrug:

if it makes you feel any better, I lost my first pd save at 30 hours to jumping off a planetary trade station and dying unceremoniously of falling damage. :3:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Finally we’ll get to dock and see Aria T’Loak

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Looks like people on the experimental branch found out that the next patch is enabling you to claim outlaw dreadnought freighters for yourself :toot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29IyQrdc0wc

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Fellow travellers, iterations, goons, and friends, it is starting to really look like modular starships are on their way.

There's this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j09RffLT_lE

... along with a number of prominent NMS community members on Twitter and other places who have been really digging around what's coming (likely this week, tbh), and have pretty much all come to the same conclusion.

Also possibly coming are (note: what's under the spoiler tag here is also mentioned in the above video!) ship races, as evidenced by the checkered flag Gek decal on the newest starship type found, as well as a few mentions of the word 'race' in the experimental files.

Man, I haven't even done the Echoes content yet, since I took like a year off from this game, but I feel like, if the update happens this week, I'll have a shitload of content that'll essentially be new to me.

Can't wait.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Fellow travellers, iterations, goons, and friends, it is starting to really look like modular starships are on their way.

There's this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j09RffLT_lE

... along with a number of prominent NMS community members on Twitter and other places who have been really digging around what's coming (likely this week, tbh), and have pretty much all come to the same conclusion.

Also possibly coming are (note: what's under the spoiler tag here is also mentioned in the above video!) ship races, as evidenced by the checkered flag Gek decal on the newest starship type found, as well as a few mentions of the word 'race' in the experimental files.

Man, I haven't even done the Echoes content yet, since I took like a year off from this game, but I feel like, if the update happens this week, I'll have a shitload of content that'll essentially be new to me.

Can't wait.

Modular ships are what i have wanted for quite some time. :D

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Just Another Lurker posted:

Modular ships are what i have wanted for quite some time. :D

You and me and I think the majority of the fanbase.

Now, I could see the angle of someone looking at that and thinking "so? That code could just be referring to how the ships in-game are generated via the procedural generation of the game itself", but two things kind of argue against that. 1) this stuff is new, as of this experimental build, and b) apparently, and I'm no developer, so I don't fully understand it, this is very similarly coded or organized to how the modular staff system introduced in Echoes is in-game.

Please, Sean..... please.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
7.5 GB update. Think it's out.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Mokinokaro posted:

7.5 GB update. Think it's out.

It is, but it's a very weird update. The expedition isn't ready, though the terminal is in the Anomaly now. Sean hasn't tweeted anything about it yet. There are some other weird things about it, apparently.

https://twitter.com/Bear2003Logi/status/1757848628738060469?t=ezWds1oX-kcg0GjNO4V1kQ&s=19

You can see the latest brief patch notes from the game's main menu, though.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Feb 14, 2024

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

sounds more like someone pushed the wrong button

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Deploying a patch to 4 platforms at once takes a hell of a lot more than one button, generally speaking

Genuinely very odd though

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i haven't been following super close but the updates are almost always the wednesday immediately after sean tweets the emoji right? so the timing makes sense, its the silence thats weird

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Correct, normally patch day has sean tweeting the tldr and an official patch notes list posted to steam, hellogame's website, all that jazz

And this one has none of the above, and at this point it's after midnight local time for HG so not really likely to change

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Possibly a trailer cut was late or something on them.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I saw something about it possibly due to HG maybe making this expedition free to anyone (on PC) who doesn't own the game, and they want to maybe get them to try it and only it out, like a new, timed demo. That would require a whole new bunch of stuff to coordinate, in terms of what's uploaded and released to Steam, and perhaps there was a problem there.

This comes from someone digging up a file in the update thay featured text and I think an image that went along with that.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/1758060627778490581?t=M84Sf3zqc1dJjrJO3wwFyg&s=19

Ok, :wtc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
3 more updates and then… the final one?