Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I see these kind of stuff and I cant help but think that the money these guys are trowing away in ugly monkey pictures and stupid fake money or dead stocks in hope to get rich is very often more money than a poor family in a poor country can make, collectively, in their whole lives

I really have trouble having any empathy. gently caress them

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Feb 8, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
So all the people that DSR'd their shares of BBBY are now finding out that they're not getting sent tax documentation for the loss because that's what happens when you don't have a brokerage to do that stuff for you. So now some of the most financially illiterate people in the country have to figure out how to calculate their loss themselves.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

So all the people that DSR'd their shares of BBBY are now finding out that they're not getting sent tax documentation for the loss because that's what happens when you don't have a brokerage to do that stuff for you. So now some of the most financially illiterate people in the country have to figure out how to calculate their loss themselves.

I think a lot of them have just concluded that since they never got a loss notification that there must be action behind the scenes that is preventing a loss

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Klyith posted:

so the thing is, the person working two jobs with not enough for bills also somehow had enough money to toss a big wad of it down a wishing well

I think that for a lot of the people ensnared by this poo poo (and crypto, and NFTs) the thing they're looking for "a way out" from isn't a life of crushing poverty, it's a life of not being rich

there are a lot of zaurgs out there

seems like most of them are rich HENRY computer touchers. also bros that burn 1 000s of dollars a month of food delivery app fees

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Calculating it would be easy though. How much did you spend for all your shares? That's your loss. The max used to be something like $5k per year and there's a max time the losses can be carried forward iirc.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

according to my calculations, my loss is negative ten billion dollars

... wait, now the irs says what?

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Big rear end On Fire posted:

Calculating it would be easy though. How much did you spend for all your shares? That's your loss. The max used to be something like $5k per year and there's a max time the losses can be carried forward iirc.

$3K max per year deduction (if exceeding all your cap gains) on each tax return and unlimited years to carry forward. So $30K loss will take 10 years to write off on your taxes if you don't get any investment gains later. Since apes are only capable of YOLOing into failing stocks instead of something like Meta or Microsoft that can actually generate capital gains, they might end up writing off these $3K piecemeal losses for the rest of their life.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 8, 2024

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Right 3k. Couldn't recall if there was a time limit.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Related I have some really old purchases before brokers were required to capture basis. I still have to dig through papers when selling and hope to find some old piece of paper. Now you can even see exactly how much every DRIP is on the broker's website.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
lol @ suckers who didn't buy the dip.

MOASS any day now. Any.....day.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
I don't know about you, but I get MOASS everyday

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

beepo posted:

I don't know about you, but I get MOASS everyday

Your doctor can prescribe a cream for that

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

https://twitter.com/toodatooda/status/1755983579501228247

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Klyith posted:

so the thing is, the person working two jobs with not enough for bills also somehow had enough money to toss a big wad of it down a wishing well

I think that for a lot of the people ensnared by this poo poo (and crypto, and NFTs) the thing they're looking for "a way out" from isn't a life of crushing poverty, it's a life of not being rich

there are a lot of zaurgs out there

These people all saw Wolf of Wall Street and decided they wanted to be the guy in a lambo doing coke.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

super sweet best pal posted:

These people all saw Wolf of Wall Street and decided they wanted to be the guy in a lambo doing coke.

They literally go on about lambos and probably coke for a reason. It's all cargo cult capitalism. Even moreso than the entirety of our culture already is.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
The insistence on shopping at GameStop to bolster the share price is maybe the most perplexing part of apedom. They somehow think buying a Toad plushie for $30 is going to make them a billionaire

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I bought 30 funcopops this month instead of the usual 15, so that means the company should have a 200% boost in profit and the stock price should jump!!!! That right there is proof the hedgies are illegally keeping the company down because i know for a fact the sales are up!!!! As soon as their evil plan is uncovered by the sec they'll end up in jail and gme will moon to its real price :homebrew:

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
If they worship moloch powerfully enough, they will be rewarded

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
they heard about dogfooding and applied it wrong.

also some of them heard about dogfooding and started literally eating dog food because it might be the cheapest bulk calories/$ (its not)

Ogma
Jun 6, 2003

Let the festivities commence!

rotinaj posted:

If they worship moloch powerfully enough, they will be rewarded

This is a Mammon thing. Molech demands sacrifices of children, which is why the .gov encourages so many school shootings.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
They're still at it. They know no limits:

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Wife changing money has morphed into wife keeping money?

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

It’s just bizarre to see so many people spontaneously ruin their lives like this. Sure, there have been some unethical moves by people, but it’s not primarily a story of fraud. They mostly just hyped themselves off a cliff.

I don’t know if I can think of another example quite like it.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Yoshi Wins posted:

It’s just bizarre to see so many people spontaneously ruin their lives like this. Sure, there have been some unethical moves by people, but it’s not primarily a story of fraud. They mostly just hyped themselves off a cliff.

Cults.

It’s a cult at this point, complete with a message about a fallen world and a messianic figure that will save the chosen and usher in a utopian future.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Yoshi Wins posted:

I mean a lot of finance bubbles work like this, only in a less stupid way. This like a bubble without the bubble bit I guess.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

dr_rat posted:

I mean a lot of finance bubbles work like this, only in a less stupid way. This like a bubble without the bubble bit I guess.

There was a bubble at the very beginning, with the actual, real, GME short squeeze.

These folks are buying Tulip Futures 4 years after the economy crashed and everyone stopped growing Tulips.

Also they aren't actually getting any Tulip Futures.

Also Tulips are extinct.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Sardonik posted:

They're still at it. They know no limits:

This could all be word for word on an Iraqi dinar forum.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Also Tulips are extinct.

Shame, tulips looked nice. Well not 10,000 guilders nice.

Probably for the best.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Without doing any research on her own, huh?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

It'd make more sense to gamble on a penny stock than rally around these failing companies. That's traditionally what fraudsters leading these kinds of idiots would do.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Yoshi Wins posted:

I mean its basically just gambling? In years gone by, these guys would be talking about a hot tip on the fourth race down at the Aqueduct

"Yeah, BBBY can really break from an outside post position, and only lost last last time because of muddy track conditions. Sure, he's got less than two weeks of rest, but that's where trainer Ryan Cohen comes in, with a spectacular success rate. Pace makes the race"

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Yoshi Wins posted:

they haven't ruined their lives until they accept that they were wrong

therefore that will never happen

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

drk posted:

I mean its basically just gambling? In years gone by, these guys would be talking about a hot tip on the fourth race down at the Aqueduct

"Yeah, BBBY can really break from an outside post position, and only lost last last time because of muddy track conditions. Sure, he's got less than two weeks of rest, but that's where trainer Ryan Cohen comes in, with a spectacular success rate. Pace makes the race"

Sure, but that's just penny stocks. In your analogy this is like finding a bookie who will somehow let you bet on a horse that's already been euthanized.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Cyrano4747 posted:

Sure, but that's just penny stocks. In your analogy this is like finding a bookie who will somehow let you bet on a horse that's already been euthanized.

Or that they bet on a race that already finished, lost all their money, but are convinced that there is going to be a secret revision of the race results that prove they actually won a trifecta. So they need to hold on to their betting slip with all their lives because it is going to make them rich!!!

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Cyrano4747 posted:

holy poo poo, lol

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Cyrano4747 posted:

I believe in Potoooooooo

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

Look, it's a sure win, nobody's beating a dead horse.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

One More Fat Nerd posted:

These folks are buying Tulip Futures 4 years after the economy crashed and everyone stopped growing Tulips.

Also they aren't actually getting any Tulip Futures.

Also Tulips are extinct.

This made me :lmao:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Yeah that was a good one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

A dead horse is still a horse, these guys are putting exacta parleys on bottles of glue