Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Shanghaied posted:

I can see it being somewhat challenging if its just a close-up of two faces (OP said it was of her and her friend on graduation). Making it 1000+ pieces would just mean you have hundreds of pieces that are just skin and nothing else.

There are those who enjoy 1000+ piece puzzles that's just like a picture of the night sky or gummy bears or jellybeans or a field of wheat or a brick wall or something . But they are freaks.

I've seen a 'hard mode' puzzle that was white. Just solid white edge to edge. No variation. No hints. You had to do everything by piece shape.

I don't understand people who do that for fun, and I actually like jigsaw puzzles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Puzzle lady did say it was a comfort puzzle kind of thing yeah? So presumably it being simpler was maybe part of the whole idea. It's not that it's a hard puzzle it's that it was a puzzle of her and her friend graduating.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Puzzle lady has to make sure everyone knows her husband isn't abusive, he just does abusive things. I think that stems back to this idea that abusers are like a different species than good normal humans, it's something you are rather than something you do. It makes so many people make excuses or downplay abuse because clearly the person isn't an abuser, abusers are unhinged monsters and pure evil all the time.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Prism posted:

I've seen a 'hard mode' puzzle that was white. Just solid white edge to edge. No variation. No hints. You had to do everything by piece shape.

I don't understand people who do that for fun, and I actually like jigsaw puzzles.

I was once on a date with someone, and she suggested we do a puzzle of the night sky together. She had argued previously (playfully) that my "technique" of "just eyeballing it" is dumb and and inefficient. She's one of those shape-sorters. I think she was trying to make a point.

We had a lovely evening together in spite of the dumb puzzle.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
AITA for announcing to my BIL and his friends that my partner and I are going to have sex?

quote:

My partner and I bought a lovely house that's great for hosting get-togethers. Most of the time, we invite friends and families (mainly friends now).

Earlier this week,, my BIL asked if we could host a get together at our place since a friend is visiting the state, AND he wanted to give this friend a house tour.

Just a disclaimer, I really dislike having my BIL over because he doesn't respect boundaries. We ask guests not to go into our bedroom and my office, but he goes in both because "he was looking for our cats" or "he wanted to check the place out." This man is 11 years older than us.

My partner and I barely had time for each other due to our busy work schedules. And this weekend, we were looking forward to "us time". My partner said he didn't really want people over, and I said the same.

My partner texted back, "we can't. Sorry, we're busy this weekend."

BIL kept pushing and calling asking why we couldn't make time, and he claims it's only going to be a few hours. And this friend rarely visits the state we live in. My partner just kept reply that we're busy. He keeps asking what we're doing and why are we busy.

Saturday evening, we're relaxing and playing videogames in the living room. BIL calls my partner, says that they're outside dropping by really quick. Partner says that we're busy. BiL argues, seeing us from the window, that we're just playing games. More arguing. My partner hangs up, and aggressive knocking follows.

We go and open the door, and there were 7 other people with him. They had alcohol and snacks.

This is a common issue between BIL and us. I'm just fed up with this. And I kinda just asked what they were doing here, and that we can't hangout tonight because we had plans to relax. Went on a tangent about our busy weeks while they stood out in the cold. I ended the conversation with, we plan to have sex tonight and don't want people around while we're at it. We already told (BIL name) that we're busy. He wants details, here--we're having sex. All night. Good night, stay warm.

Well, BIL talked to FIL. Now I'm getting calls and texts on how crude and rude I am and I have no decency. My partner doesn't care how I handled it and understands I'm sick and tired of BIL.

AITA?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Kurieg posted:

AITA for announcing to my BIL and his friends that my partner and I are going to have sex?

Only if you didn't actually have sex

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Paper Tiger posted:

Puzzle difficulty can be really hard to quantify, once I sat down to do a puzzle that said '3 to 5 years' on the box but it only took me like six hours to complete

Well, I figure as a super intelligent tiger that can read and write you've got to be in like the 99th percentile

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Pope Corky the IX posted:

What the gently caress is that supposed to mean?

Shanghaied posted:

So loving nonsensical that I can't help but love it.

It was a riff on “it’s five o’clock somewhere” like when you need an excuse to start drinking at 9 am :shrug:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
AITA: Wife chooses KPop idol over marriage

quote:

Hi Reddit. I just wanted to ask if I’m the rear end in a top hat in this situation.

Context:

I’m deployed right now and it’s my birthday. My wife stayed up to talk with me a little bit, and the topic of her favorite K-pop group came up. I proceeded to jokingly say “I’m better than x, that’s why you’re with me” (her favorite member). She proceeds to go on a rant about how she would leave absolutely everything behind if he asked to be with her, abandon our marriage, leave everything.

I obviously get upset, saying how I believe it’s cheating, and that she shouldn’t say those things. It’s a man she has never met and he doesn’t know a single thing about her. She proceeds to say I’m being unreasonable and I don’t understand. I’m now considered immature and all of the above and insecure.

AITA?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Prism posted:

I recently saw one that was a jigsaw puzzle of a picture of a completed red and white checkerboard jigsaw puzzle. That poo poo’s just mean.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Kurieg posted:

Besides real estate agents, who the gently caress gives people tours of random people's houses??? Is the house architecturally or historically interesting in some way?

Like if I was visiting a friend and he says "let's do a tour of my brother's house" I'd be like "loving why? I don't know your brother."

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

K-pop: not even once

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Kurieg posted:

Dude gettin' Jody'd by kpop

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Kurieg posted:

Fights you don't have to have, exhibits 1 and 2.

So, yeah, dude is an idiot for asking a dumb as gently caress hypothetical, and also a crybaby for crying about an answer that didn't fluff his ego enough.

Wife shouldn't have to entertain the question, and shouldn't have to come up with a soothing answer to the stupid question. Also, the "Hey, who would you cheat on me with?" question seems like an especially poorly chosen one mid-deployment.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Don’t ask stupid hypotheticals if you aren’t prepared for the answers imo

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Cthulu Carl posted:

Dude gettin' Jody'd by kpop

Okay Mr President, let's get you a comfy chair and some delicious ice cream, okay?

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed

Slo-Tek posted:

Wife shouldn't have to entertain the question, and shouldn't have to come up with a soothing answer to the stupid question. Also, the "Hey, who would you cheat on me with?" question seems like an especially poorly chosen one mid-deployment.

Yeah if you're deployed isn't it ideal to have your wife fixated on a man with whom there's zero chance of anything actually happening?

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
AITA for making a promise to my 7 year old niece that was so ridiculous and improbable I have a hard time believing she thought I would come through ?

quote:

Using a throwaway since I don’t want this to bleed into my very active main account.

No surprise but my niece is a little swiftie, when the news of her dating the guy started to get huge I told her that if his team made the superb owl I would absolutely get tickets and we could go see her. I didn’t think anything of it because I’m not a football fan and I thought she wasn’t either, I thought she would forget and even if she didn’t I thought that she knew it wouldn’t be worth it (even if we could go) to just see a tiny glimpse of her across a stadium.

I went over to my brother’s house for the superb owl last night and my niece refused to talk to me. I had no idea what was going on and so my sister in law explained what was wrong. I tried to explain to my niece that tickets were at minimum $10000. I should add we live in north Las Vegas, so she thought we should just get in the car and drive there. I tried to explain that’s not how it works and she refused to forgive me.

I talked to my brother because I figured he wouldn’t want his daughter being so disrespectful. He said that “you dug this hole by being a moron, don’t put it on her to fix it for you.” I asked if he was serious, he said 100% and I brought this all on myself.

AITA?

This guy's definitely TA, but extra so for his writing style

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Slo-Tek posted:

Fights you don't have to have, exhibits 1 and 2.

So, yeah, dude is an idiot for asking a dumb as gently caress hypothetical, and also a crybaby for crying about an answer that didn't fluff his ego enough.

I think pretty much everyone who's been in a relationship long enough has had the "which celebrities you would sleep with" conversation at some point? It's just a bit of silly, harmless fun. And I highly doubt the wife was serious.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

Larry Cum Free posted:

Yeah if you're deployed isn't it ideal to have your wife fixated on a man with whom there's zero chance of anything actually happening?

Shes gonna leave him for Jo-dee

mystes
May 31, 2006

Kurieg posted:

Aside from the whole thing being bizarre in the first place, I can't even imagine how mad I would be if I told someone that they could not come over and then they did it anyway with a bunch of strangers.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Captain Hygiene posted:

It made me laugh when they said it was a comfort thing, I'm sure they just meant the BF understandably likes clothes he's used to wearing, but it does make it sound like the guy just likes beans on his shirt
Perhaps they're British?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhdO_bYby1U

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

mystes posted:

Aside from the whole thing being bizarre in the first place, I can't even imagine how mad I would be if I told someone that they could not come over and then they did it anyway with a bunch of strangers.

I was gonna this is the reason garden hoses were invented, but it might be too cold for that. It should be pretty simple to fill up a bucket of water in the bathtub, though.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Larry Cum Free posted:

It's not ideal for your wife to be fixated on anyone like that, it's a pretty sure sign of some mental crisis.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
K-Pop fandom is only the 3rd biggest problem in that marriage. The 2nd is his deployment and the 1st is that neither of them are old enough to buy beer.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
yea I mean it's a dumb question to ask but I would be a little weirded out if my wife was like "no seriously I would leave you for someone I don't know anything about as a person if I could because they are very hot"

if the question was "am I hotter than him" then sure you gotta take your lumps, there's like a billion people hotter than me, but "I would seriously leave you for him this instant" is a wild answer I think

youknowthatoneguy
Mar 27, 2004
Mmm, boooofies!

Pomme de Terror posted:

AITA for making a promise to my 7 year old niece that was so ridiculous and improbable I have a hard time believing she thought I would come through ?

First off, he's doing the whole What We Do In The Shadows thing by calling it the Superb Owl, which while funny in the show, makes him seem like a massive dork. It's not cute.

Second of all, kids that age have a hard time still understanding sarcasm.

Third, calling it "ridiculous and improbable" that the KC Chiefs make it to the superbowl is perhaps the biggest annoyance of this whole thing.

I'm not even a massive football fan and this person annoys me to no end.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Captain Hygiene posted:

I was gonna this is the reason garden hoses were invented, but it might be too cold for that. It should be pretty simple to fill up a bucket of water in the bathtub, though.

yup

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Shanghaied posted:

There are those who enjoy 1000+ piece puzzles that's just like a picture of the night sky or gummy bears or jellybeans or a field of wheat or a brick wall or something . But they are freaks.

Oh hey, you described me. Mine are 1500 pieces and I plan to get some 2000 piece puzzles soon. I'm also one of those people who refuse to use the box as a reference. I really don't like easy puzzles. I need them to be near impossible to feel any sense of accomplishment.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Pomme de Terror posted:

Also 7 year olds are definitely known for knowing how likely things are, especially when a trusted adult promises them.

mystes
May 31, 2006

youknowthatoneguy posted:

Second of all, kids that age have a hard time still understanding sarcasm.
In regard to this, I'm curious what their intent was in saying that to their niece, because they don't explain that at all.

Were they trying to tease their niece about being a Swift fan? Were they trying to seem cool by promising something they thought they wouldn't have to deliver on?

If they were joking and their niece didn't understand, that might be less bad than other explanations, but since they don't note that, and I feel like they probably would if it helped explain why they aren't an rear end in a top hat, what was their actual intent?

mystes fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Feb 12, 2024

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

youknowthatoneguy posted:

First off, he's doing the whole What We Do In The Shadows thing by calling it the Superb Owl, which while funny in the show, makes him seem like a massive dork. It's not cute.

That's just a Reddit thing at this point.

Ulthar
Aug 14, 2007

My parents are deeaaaaaaad!!!

Neito posted:

That's just a Reddit thing at this point.

My dad was calling it the Superb Owl like twenty five years ago, it’s definitely not a new joke

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

Oh hey, you described me. Mine are 1500 pieces and I plan to get some 2000 piece puzzles soon. I'm also one of those people who refuse to use the box as a reference. I really don't like easy puzzles. I need them to be near impossible to feel any sense of accomplishment.
When I was a kid my family did a puzzle where every interior piece was the same shape, this:

And each piece was sliiiiightly different and reversible. And the picture was just tiny pictures of cat faces. That puzzle was maddening.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

TV shows do it or call it "the big game" because superbowl is trademarked and they are very litigious

mystes
May 31, 2006

I googled hard jigsaw puzzles and this fairly infuriating looking one came up. Maybe I'll get it for someone I hate next holiday season.

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!

CannonFodder posted:

When I was a kid my family did a puzzle where every interior piece was the same shape, this:

And each piece was sliiiiightly different and reversible. And the picture was just tiny pictures of cat faces. That puzzle was maddening.

I have a similarly frustrating one tucked away in our games because I really want to do it at some point, but I know it'll take forever and just take up space in the meantime. It's the same image printed on both sides, but the back side has the image rotated 90 degrees.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Superb Owl is like the oldest and easiest football joke in the world, it probably dates back to five seconds after someone in an NFL meeting proposed "Super Bowl" in the first place

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

mystes posted:

In regard to this, I'm curious what their intent was in saying that to their niece, because they don't explain that at all.

Were they trying to tease their niece about being a Swift fan? Were they trying to seem cool by promising something they thought they wouldn't have to deliver on?

If they were joking and their niece didn't understand, that might be less bad than other explanations, but since they don't note that, and I feel like they probably would if it helped explain why they aren't an rear end in a top hat, what was their actual intent?
They wanted to get the clout of being the cool relative without actually having to do any of the work, if Kelce's team hadn't made the Superbowl they would have been like 'oh too bad!' but still reaped the admiration. Since Kelce did make it to the Superbowl, their plan was to go 'I was just joking, kiddo!'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

haveblue posted:

Superb Owl is like the oldest and easiest football joke in the world, it probably dates back to five seconds after someone in an NFL meeting proposed "Super Bowl" in the first place

Probably the only joke older than it is 'handegg'