Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Malachite_Dragon posted:

-newbie engineer is proven horrendously wrong-
"Ah. Well. Nevertheless!"

It's amazing how much people will ignore past history on things. Part of my facility's structural design/qualification process was done through a third-party contract firm. They... sucked. There's no other way to put it. I'm unwinding their mistakes 7+ years later. After the project, we had a post-mortem meeting where part of it was "what went wrong, and how can we avoid it for the future" and the presentations called out the complete overexaggeration of the qualifications and skills of the contract group, all the problems they caused, the lack of quality decision making by their leads, etc. We literally said that they best thing we could do is not use them for any complicated projects moving forward. Let them redesign cafeterias or something, but keep them out of labs because they just cannot do it.

Three months later, they were contracted by the very same team to whom we presented the slide deck, to redesign and qualify an API pilot plant on site. It might not be as complicated as our building from sheer scale, but it's way more critical that they get it all perfect because the pilot plant makes the main core functional ingredients for drugs.

Here we are, maybe one quarter removed from dissecting the many failures of Clownshoes Incorporated, and we're already handing them the keys to another project. Great job, many lessons learned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Eric the Mauve posted:

If you don't think you can get away with an actual Unicomp, here you go: https://www.amazon.com/TECWARE-Mechanical-Keyboard-Switches-Excellent/dp/B076YHBQYJ

Surprisingly solid build for the price of a midrange rubber dome. The only thing that sucks about them are the keycaps, which are cheap and easy to replace.

(The Unicomp is like $120 now but is totally indestructible and you can do whatever you want to it, your heirs will inherit it when you die. Unfortunately if you work around other people that might happen a lot sooner than you intended because of the racket the buckling springs make.)

I just tried to buy a unicomp from their website but recapcha never finished loading after I checked it. I guess that’s what I get for trying to use Safari.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Smithwick posted:

I have had multiple directors and VPs over the years proclaim that some process, system or software would greatly reduce the use of excel. Almost none have bared fruit. Excel is eternal. It is like Judge Holden, it will never die.

Probably posted before but the head of messaging at my old job said, with a straight face, that "MS Teams will massively reduce the use of email".

I don't know what kool aid he was drinking there, I'm not sure even Microsoft would claim that one. Particularly not based on the absolutely pathetic amount of effort they put into making Teams not utter poo poo.

We should start a support group.

Ticket closed: user cannot be helped.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Probably posted before but the head of messaging at my old job said, with a straight face, that "MS Teams will massively reduce the use of email".

I don't know what kool aid he was drinking there, I'm not sure even Microsoft would claim that one. Particularly not based on the absolutely pathetic amount of effort they put into making Teams not utter poo poo.

We should start a support group.

Ticket closed: user cannot be helped.

MS Teams has massively reduced the use of MS Teams

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I dunno it definitely has reduced email at my company and the previous one too.

Just annoyingly a lot of “hello” messages

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
We’ve been trying to move away from excel for everything so we switched to planner for task tracking. Which in my situation means I get hit every morning telling me I’m late on 7-12 tasks. I know bud, I know I’m late on everything. No, I’m not going to close them out. No, I’m not going to expedite things. My workflow is not like yours.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I'm sure MS has claimed that as some point. Everyone else has from HipChat (lol) to Slack. And in some organizations or parts of them it does. The question remains if that's a GOOD thing? In many cases it's very much not, as it culminates in everyone in a million different channels that they never look at anymore and people claiming "I informed you" beause they put something in a channel.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I just treat IMs like face to face conversations and make it clear that if stuff isn't in an email then it doesn't exist.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Arquinsiel posted:

I just treat IMs like face to face conversations and make it clear that if stuff isn't in an email then it doesn't exist.

This. I publish a short doc in my company profile that basically says my SLA for:

- slack/IM - hours to never
- email - 24 hours
- documents for commenting - 24 hours

And an ending of “if you must get an answer immediately, call my phone”.

People are surprisingly averse to calling someone’s phone so I have rarely been called.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

I had a VP around 2015 say "Email will be dead in 5 years".

Yeah ok.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I know

We put AI on the block chain

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

At my shop (130k users globally) we've dropped Office as a standard, it's now an exception request item. It's automatically approved but charges your cost center for the license. gSuite is significantly more convenient, vastly better for collaboration, and your data is far safer. We're also saving a ton of money on Office licenses, plus it makes Bill Gates' Netscape Nightmare reality.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Lockback posted:

I had a VP around 2015 say "Email will be dead in 5 years".

Yeah ok.

It's seems like it's a job responsbility of VPs to get sucked into the latest sutpid poo poo going around business web sites/social media. My idiot EVP was talking about about the metaverse last year. We're a telecom.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Renegret posted:

I know

We put AI on the block chain

Honey Im Homme
Sep 3, 2009

Literally every schedule and team calendar at my job is an excel spreadsheet. It is the dumbest poo poo in the world.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Honey Im Homme posted:

Literally every schedule and team calendar at my job is an excel spreadsheet. It is the dumbest poo poo in the world.

There are a few cases where I see the value of GSheets/Excel as a calendar. I use it for our GMP area schedule, because there are just so many moving parts. A column per day (365 columns), a row per equipment unit (about 200 units) + identifying details, and then we color-code the cells based on which group (facilities, engineering, production, etc) has the equipment booked and a short-hand description of what they're doing. Orange cell "6mo PM Blender" = Facilities is doing preventative maintenance on Blender #2, based on the row it's in. They have it for those three days. Etc etc.

It's mainly useful because there's just so much to track, and it's way easier to CTRL-X + CTRL-V a cell to a new place if they need to reschedule things than it is to deal with a more full-featured calendar program.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?
Microsoft Project is the excel but a calendar that you want but it's not part of the default office package so it may as well not exist.

It also doesn't help that someone convinced the csuite that sliding calendars are an advanced management technology.

Motronic posted:

It's seems like it's a job responsbility of VPs to get sucked into the latest sutpid poo poo going around business web sites/social media. My idiot EVP was talking about about the metaverse last year. We're a telecom.
Our VP of E.S.G. put out their weekly web letter today about how AI will be used to optimize 6G which will make the power grid more efficient and equitable.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

The junk collector posted:

Microsoft Project is the excel but a calendar that you want but it's not part of the default office package so it may as well not exist.

It also doesn't help that someone convinced the csuite that sliding calendars are an advanced management technology.

Our VP of E.S.G. put out their weekly web letter today about how AI will be used to optimize 6G which will make the power grid more efficient and equitable.

What an incredible job, you just have to point chat gpt at the news and tell it to combine it in a way that sounds like power grid news.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

mllaneza posted:

At my shop (130k users globally) we've dropped Office as a standard, it's now an exception request item. It's automatically approved but charges your cost center for the license. gSuite is significantly more convenient, vastly better for collaboration, and your data is far safer. We're also saving a ton of money on Office licenses, plus it makes Bill Gates' Netscape Nightmare reality.
I've found gSuite to be an absolute nightmare to use, since nobody ever puts things where anyone else would have permissions to edit them so it always adds in a "need access plz" > "granted" go-round to the document review process.

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.
My department was informed that we are being outsourced. The only people who aren’t being cut are the IC who report directly to my boss.

:matters:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Smithwick posted:

I have had multiple directors and VPs over the years proclaim that some process, system or software would greatly reduce the use of excel. Almost none have bared fruit. Excel is eternal. It is like Judge Holden, it will never die.

There's a saying in YOSPOS; Excel is the most powerful software on everyone's PC.

mllaneza posted:

GSuite is the same price as Office.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I guess google apps must have improved a lot but that’s surprising to hear they are on par with ms office now.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

priznat posted:

I guess google apps must have improved a lot but that’s surprising to hear they are on par with ms office now.

I’m in the middle of building the case to move my org from Gsuite to teams/365 and very much disagree with the right honorable posters sentiments.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

priznat posted:

They really aren't. Simple stuff like sorting a sheet by ranked categories seems to be missing, so I can only imagine what wild Excel formula magic is also absent.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

priznat posted:

That's because they absolutely are not.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

E: wrong thread

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Ah ok, that’s useful to know. I don’t love office or anything but it’s not something I actively hate on that much anymore, but possibly I am just getting old.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

secular woods sex posted:

My department was informed that we are being outsourced. The only people who aren’t being cut are the IC who report directly to my boss.

:matters:

That sucks! Any chance you can move internally?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Arquinsiel posted:

They really aren't. Simple stuff like sorting a sheet by ranked categories seems to be missing, so I can only imagine what wild Excel formula magic is also absent.

Their powerpoint and word equivalents also aren't there yet. They aren't format-compatible with Office and importing / exporting tends to break table formatting and object colors/positioning (as recently as Friday for Powerpoint --> GSuite), etc. If you are stuck where you have to use DOCX/DOC for something and thus have to go back and forth, you'd damned well better keep an Office license around. Our GMP controlled document repository Veeva only allows DOCX/DOC/XLS/XLSX uploads, so even though our company standard is GSuite for office work, anything I do has to be finalized in MS Office anyway. There is a plugin for Veeva that supposedly allows GSuite transfers, but our SOPs explicitly don't allow that. I haven't tried because SOP is SOP, but one of the doc control folks told me when I asked that it had a habit of (surprise surprise) loving up formatting on import.

My solution is MSOffice + VPH for collaboration, since Office remains mandatory for me basically.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

priznat posted:

They are not outside of basic use cases. Things they fail hard at still are mostly in the realm of macros and doc protections that lawyers love, esp at big corps. That’s not to say Goog isn’t making up ground, but there’s still an edge.

Your army of pm’s and engineers will mostly be fine with Gsuite. Till they need excel, in which case Gsheets is more like Gshits. Just get excel out.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

For a short time a company I worked at was using a shared excel doc as a chat room.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Barudak posted:

For a short time a company I worked at was using a shared excel doc as a chat room.

Use conditional formatting to make one person's comments turn cells red.
Make another's text white-on-white.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Arquinsiel posted:

I've found gSuite to be an absolute nightmare to use, since nobody ever puts things where anyone else would have permissions to edit them so it always adds in a "need access plz" > "granted" go-round to the document review process.

We did an almost brutal "use the shared drive, not My Drive" campaign for anything even remotely important. A 10-year versus 3-year retention policy helps make that super loving mandatory. Between useful shared drive permissions within the organization and the longer retention policy, we've got that whipped. My team has adopted the shared drive culture to the point where someone saying "I documented X!" will be automatically asked if it's on the shared drive. We have that drive organized pretty well. If someone saves a new doc about our disaster recovery solution according to policy and consensus, I can find it by browsing the shared drive. I can also browse the disaster recovery folder and see what we already have documented. It's more cultural than technical, but it works for us.

priznat posted:

It's at about 80%, maybe a little more. I do stuff with .csv files, derive information with LOOKUP(), and do the occasional pivot table. If we're already paying for an email, chat, calendar, meet and drive license for me, gSheets is free and perfectly adequate. If I needed Office, I could have it. I don't, so we save money, and I can still do everything I need a spreadsheet for.

We do put Office through its paces, especially Excel. I support organizations that have made their own Excel plugins. Last year I worked a ticket involving (obfuscated and encrypted VB macros as a plugin) that resulted in another group opening a ticket with our AV vendor. We still do Office because it does some mission critical things gSuite doesn't do.

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Feb 12, 2024

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Atopian posted:

Use conditional formatting to make one person's comments turn cells red.
Make another's text white-on-white.

Shadow banning the CEO via vbscript

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

mllaneza posted:

It's more cultural than technical, but it works for us.
Yeah see that's a big part of the problem where I am. The culture is dogshit and everyone is looking for an exit because taking steps to fix problems like this is seen as sn attack on management.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Arquinsiel posted:

Yeah see that's a big part of the problem where I am. The culture is dogshit and everyone is looking for an exit because taking steps to fix problems like this is seen as sn attack on management.

That last part is the worst.
The only plan with a chance of success is "throw out your current system of interaction with employees and try again", but that would imply that the current management got it wrong, so it is necessary to run that poo poo into the ground until the board can no longer ignore it, and come to clean house.
So frustrating and wasteful.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Barudak posted:

Kelly Rowland was a trailblazer!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Atopian posted:

That last part is the worst.
The only plan with a chance of success is "throw out your current system of interaction with employees and try again", but that would imply that the current management got it wrong, so it is necessary to run that poo poo into the ground until the board can no longer ignore it, and come to clean house.
So frustrating and wasteful.
Funnily enough there was a big blowup with another team this morning and the owner ended up stepping in. I think maybe me telling him that everyone I, a newbie, talk to is unhappy has actually lit a fire under his rear end to start working out what's happening with his staff. Unfortunately for him I know that two out of the three people that got shat on this morning were already looking for new roles.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
If he's publically making GBS threads on them, them leaving is probably the desired result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I don't think it is, I think they're just dysfunctional as gently caress. It seems like that with the exception of me and the new head of team brought in for my team the company hires kids and tells them they're getting "training" and keeps hammering home how lucky they are to even have jobs. We're a small company so losing two people is literally half the development team gone, and if they lost two from my team that's a 50% drop in revenue off the bat. It's legitimately depressing and I have made a huge mistake moving here.