Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

I said come in! posted:

It feels like there is no avenue at this point that doesn't lead to all out war between Israel and its neighbors.

Egypt and Israel signed their peace agreement six years after the 1973 war. In the immediate atmosphere Israel is in a genocidal fervor. In a few years as reality sets in, perhaps there really will be an opportunity for a brokered solution. After all, who will want to make aliyah to israel, supposedly the safest place for Jews? How will the Israelis continue fighting massive wars like this, on behalf of a class of people that is allowed to totally evade the responsibilities of war? When the ICC and ICJ cases are decided, what countries will Israeli leaders even be able to visit?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

OctaMurk posted:

The Egyptian government cant accept it -- not because theyre good guys or w.e. but this would cause Egypt problems that no carrots and sticks could ever compensate. Maybe not tomorrow, but it would inevitably result in either a civil war in Egypt, or the Palestinians launching attacks from the Sinai which causes a renewed Israel-Egypt war.

It's worth pointing out that this already happened - during the War of Attrition, 1967 to 1970.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Flournival Dixon posted:

Material political action in the west is entirely forgotten by most of the population, it's been replaced by tweeting in support of something or nebulous ideas of voting against things that everyone on the ballot supports. The idea of organizing a general strike never gains traction because nobody in the west really believes that they have power at all, or that anything could be gained by trying. We all have so much comfort and treats and wealth to lose, and nobody believes that anything is to be gained from resisting. It's not hard to understand why they think that way after the squandered failures of Occupy and George Floyd, they watched a bunch of disorganized anarchist children utterly waste two significant movements and accomplish nothing other than a massive increase in police budgets nationwide.

No matter how disgusted and sad and angry all the people on twitter are, they're still just a bunch of unorganized and uneducated westerners. There's a reason they killed all the black revolutionary marxists in the 60s. Ansarallah is doing more than every other country in the world to prevent the genocide, as the leaders of a tiny country that's been bombed and starved for decades.

Saying they think nothing will be gained from resisting is an understatement. Many of them think they will end up getting killed, locked away forever in a black cell, or generally have their lives ruined by the state, and frankly they’re not wrong for thinking that. The United States is brutal when cracking down on dissent.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Saying they think nothing will be gained from resisting is an understatement. Many of them think they will end up getting killed, locked away forever in a black cell, or generally have their lives ruined by the state, and frankly they’re not wrong for thinking that. The United States is brutal when cracking down on dissent.

yep. violence is seen as an illegitimate expression of dissent but as a legitimate mechanism of suppression.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

VoicesCanBe posted:

https://twitter.com/BarakRavid/status/1756074190988275904

Head of CIA Bill Burns is visiting Cairo tomorrow

This news is from Feb. 9th but it's very likely Burns is gonna try to strong-arm Egypt into forcibly evacuating (aka ethnic cleansing) the 1 million+ refugees in Rafah. Burns is usually the guy they send when they need some actual heavy-duty diplomacy done, since Blinken is an incompetent freak.

Hope he's sucked out of his plane due to a Boeing malfunction

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

VoicesCanBe posted:

https://twitter.com/BarakRavid/status/1756074190988275904

Head of CIA Bill Burns is visiting Cairo tomorrow

This news is from Feb. 9th but it's very likely Burns is gonna try to strong-arm Egypt into forcibly evacuating (aka ethnic cleansing) the 1 million+ refugees in Rafah. Burns is usually the guy they send when they need some actual heavy-duty diplomacy done, since Blinken is an incompetent freak.

why the CIA chief? isn't this a matter for a diplomat?

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

bedpan posted:

Not for dummy blinkens

Comrade Merf
Jun 2, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

It's worth pointing out that this already happened - during the War of Attrition, 1967 to 1970.

What's yesterday?

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

https://aje.io/icbndn?update=2703640

quote:

‘Israel freeing two captives a marketing ploy for a defeated army’: Hamas

Osama Hamdan, a Beirut-based member of the group’s political bureau, says this comes “in light of the defeats and resistance the Israeli army faces in ongoing fighting, especially in Khan Younis, as well as its failure to retrieve the rest of the captives”.

“It is an attempt to boost the army’s low morale in light of its failure to achieve any of its goals,” he added.

“As we wait for the official account from the resistance [Hamas], we point to news reports that indicate that the two captives were not in Hamas’s custody but rather held with a civilian family, which casts doubt on the credibility of Israel’s account and confirms its effort to exaggerate the incident,” Hamdan said.

Four months in, fighters in the Qassam Brigades still have 134 captives, which “in itself is an achievement for the resistance”, he added.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

bedpan posted:

yep. violence is seen as an illegitimate expression of dissent but as a legitimate mechanism of suppression.

it doesn't matter if the suppression is legitimate or not when you end up in a prison cell or with a bullet in your chest regardless. there's no higher body to appeal to when the US government decides to unperson you

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

bedpan posted:

Blinkins isnt able to handle this. It wouldnt surprise me if Biden replaces him for his second term (assuming he wins re-election).

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Don't forget that said violence can be applied by not only the state but by whatever right wing paramilitary that decides that they're gonna take and hold the local 7-11 that day.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

bedpan posted:

The US has a habit of sending the CIA chief when things dont look good for the US hegemonic status. He made an unannounced visit to saudi arabia when the chinese mediated deal with them and Iran was done.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/06/politics/cia-director-william-burns-saudi-arabia/index.html

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Very cool that the US has a shadow state department who's workings are a complete black box to the public.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Sancho Banana posted:

"The Dutch government announces: We will appeal the court's decision not to export F35 parts to Israel"

https://twitter.com/kann_news/status/1757038482726207745?t=3RwggrRnhEws3409M3N__g&s=19

Come the gently caress on

power will always side with capital

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

bedpan posted:

Blinken is an idiot, everyone around Biden is obsessed with appeasing Israel, and everyone else at the US State Department with influence is obsessed with destroying Russia.

Burns is not an idiot and has experience in both the Middle East and eastern Europe.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

you send the state department to make deals, you send the CIA to make threats

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

bedpan posted:

It’s seen as an illegitimate expression of dissent because the American people are deeply terrified of their government and their ruling class, and they think if people stir up enough poo poo, the powers that be won’t even bother with the pretense of civil democracy anymore and they will go full on mask off brutal police state.

Instead of a carrot and stick approach, it’s a stick and bat with barbed wire wrapped around it approach.

Clip-On Fedora has issued a correction as of 19:50 on Feb 12, 2024

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Clip-On Fedora posted:

It’s seen as an illegitimate expression of dissent because the American people are deeply terrified of their government and their ruling class, and they think if people stir up enough poo poo, the powers that be won’t even bother with the pretense of civil democracy anymore and they will go full on mask off brutal police state.

the us has military planes fly over sports stadiums as a show, right? I’ve never been able to see that as anything other than an explicit threat to stay in line

hmhb fan
Feb 4, 2024

mcmagic posted:

The constant lying is a power thing. Look at the bullshit we can say, we both know it's bullshit, and there is nothing you can do about it. Like cops in the US.
That's why they hate Ireland so much. We're a small country and our government is beholden to the bigger European countries, but our population doesn't buy their bullshit. Hence why they're obsessed with us.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

OctaMurk posted:

They could forgive or write off Egypts utterly massive debts

I swear early on this was literally a proposal by folks in the Israeli government, that they'd somehow force the US to forgive Egypt's debts in exchange for Egypt taking in the Palestinians.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

bedpan posted:

Burns was in the foreign service as a diplomat for 30 years and was the Deputy Secretary of State under Obama.

As others have said, Blinken is an idiot, so their sending someone who can actually do the job and has a long history of contact with the Egyptians.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Retromancer posted:

Very cool that the US has a shadow state department who's workings are a complete black box to the public.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

ro5s posted:

the us has military planes fly over sports stadiums as a show, right? I’ve never been able to see that as anything other than an explicit threat to stay in line

They literally drove tanks and armored vehicles through suburban neighborhoods while screaming at everyone to remain in their homes during the George Floyd protests.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

I said come in! posted:

Is there a good source to read that explains what is going on with Egypts economy and how they got there?
this is a decent podcast on it: https://www.theredlinepodcast.com/post/episode-94-egypts-economic-crisis-a-perfect-storm

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

Sancho Banana posted:

"The Dutch government announces: We will appeal the court's decision not to export F35 parts to Israel"

https://twitter.com/kann_news/status/1757038482726207745?t=3RwggrRnhEws3409M3N__g&s=19

Come the gently caress on

well, the dutch state appeals everything and anything it can get its hands on so this was to be expected. i just read the court of appeals judgment and I'm kind of expecting the supreme court to follow suit. the core of Amnesty and Oxfam-Novib argumentation relied on showing statements by both high israeli functionaries and individual pilots, and the judges completely accepted those while barely giving the state's excuses the time of day. there might be some issues with constitutional boundaries, but the Dutch High Court (Hoge Raad) is more strict with its adherence to the liberal principles of human rights and international law than you might think. I'm giving it 75-25 odds it's gonna stay this way.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

It does feel like a marketing ploy rather than a real success. They haven't been able recover any living hostages but within a day of heavy bombardment of Rafah they recovered two elderly men.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

the bitcoin of weed posted:

you send the state department to make deals, you send the CIA to make threats

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
seriously burns is probably half way through his powerpoint of "where the grenades that killed sadat actually came from"

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
haha, the high court is called Hog Road.

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Not to be confused with meat.
I'm just now reading about this but turns out the two hostages were argentinan. Milei visited Israel just a couple days ago lol

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Sancho Banana posted:

I'm just now reading about this but turns out the two hostages were argentinan. Milei visited Israel just a couple days ago lol

one of the hostages was already released last year lol

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Nonsense posted:

one of the hostages was already released last year lol

Hamas only released a couple elderly women back then, no? Yocheved Lifshitz and another one. Plus the guys from the ceasefire deal which were all women, children, Thai workers, and a couple young men.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
wait wtf lol

https://twitter.com/Ian_Fraser/status/1757121269420498975?s=19

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

The article says that other members of his family were released as part of the deal and that he's still being held hostage - it seems they just changed the headline today, bizarrely.

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Can Bernie count on you to add to our chest's mad sparkle? Can you spare a little change for an old buccaneer?

I said come in! posted:

Is there a good source to read that explains what is going on with Egypts economy and how they got there?

red line podcast had a very good episode on the Egyptian economy https://www.theredlinepodcast.com/post/episode-94-egypts-economic-crisis-a-perfect-storm

d'oh! beaten

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Sancho Banana posted:

The article says that other members of his family were released as part of the deal and that he's still being held hostage - it seems they just changed the headline today, bizarrely.

Yes looking at the archived article from last year it does state his partner was released in the hostage deal but he remained.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

bobtheconqueror posted:

I swear early on this was literally a proposal by folks in the Israeli government, that they'd somehow force the US to forgive Egypt's debts in exchange for Egypt taking in the Palestinians.

Yes, immediately after Oct 7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

https://aje.io/icbndn?update=2703650

quote:

US evasive on potential consequences for Israel over Rafah incursion

US Department of State spokesperson Matthew Miller has dodged questions on whether the United States would freeze assistance to Israel if the country moves forward with an all-out attack on Rafah.

While the administration of US President Joe Biden has said an Israeli incursion into the packed city near the border with Egypt would be a “disaster”, Miller said that it is not clear that cutting US military assistance is a “step that would be more impactful than the steps we have already taken”.

US pressure on Israel has largely come in the form of public comments, while the Biden administration presses forward with military assistance and international diplomatic support for the US ally.