Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

salutations cloud did you know the wutaians worship this being as their almighty god? I have made him into a video game, please fight him for fabulous prizes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Buck Wildman posted:

it's apparently unpopular to like Roche in the remake. screw that, I thought he was the most badass mf in the game

I feel like this needs citation because I've never heard any other opinion than "Roche rules."

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Retromancer posted:

I feel like this needs citation because I've never heard any other opinion than "Roche rules."

I've read a lot that people hate him because he's too unserious or something. maybe they're just a really loud minority but I've seen it come up repeatedly. I'm glad to hear that most folks have better taste honestly

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

i denounce motorcycle poochie and his evil ways!

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Buck Wildman posted:

Roche and Chadley are both amazing additions to the universe shame on anyone who thinks otherwise imo

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Buck Wildman posted:

it's apparently unpopular to like Roche in the remake. screw that, I thought he was the most badass mf in the game

He's a cool guy, like all the other guys (and gals!) in the game.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Is helldivers 2 any good? How does it play in pubs?

It looks like a fun extraction shooter but I got burned by Darktide a couple years ago.

my_custom_username
Nov 30, 2023

Buck Wildman posted:

I've read a lot that people hate him because he's too unserious or something. maybe they're just a really loud minority but I've seen it come up repeatedly. I'm glad to hear that most folks have better taste honestly

All the compilation poo poo made people forget what FF7 was really about, it was always a very goofy unserious game. Roche is ftw imo

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

speaking personally I was ecstatic that BLACK THE SABLE the edgiest edgeman to wear a jockstrap for a mask made his triumphant return

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I was like gently caress yes kudos to them for having the brass loving balls to remember these doofuses

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Retromancer posted:

Is helldivers 2 any good? How does it play in pubs?

It looks like a fun extraction shooter but I got burned by Darktide a couple years ago.

It's better than it was a week ago but it's still a coop game that just got released and isn't turnbased,it's going to have a lotta issues.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

my_custom_username posted:

All the compilation poo poo made people forget what FF7 was really about, it was always a very goofy unserious game. Roche is ftw imo

What's funny is a lot of the compilation stuff is very deliberately funny.

Advent Children revolves around three scene kids with an army of cancer ridden 8 year olds.

Crisis Core is like 70% wacky hijinks.

Dirge of Cerebus is probably the CoFF7 property that's most self-serious and I don't think many people played it.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
the problem with most games "writing" is that the people writing them are deeply ashamed to be working in video games rather than like Prestige TV

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

the problem with most games "writing" is that the people writing them are deeply ashamed to be working in video games rather than like Prestige TV

this has been an ongoing problem since the 1980s too. for decades now, video games have had writing teams who loathe video games and are forever grasping at television or movies.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
a lot of gamers are terrified of goofiness because it might mean someone not taking their games seriously as ART

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
wheras the true masters like Kojima understand that embracing goofiness is the path to transcending the medium. being goofy is life's greatest joy.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

i think this has vastly improved the past decade, at least on the indie/small-mid dev scene. western aaa is still dire

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Kojima threads this needle

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Xaris posted:

i think this has vastly improved the past decade, at least on the indie/small-mid dev scene. western aaa is still dire

it's definitely better than it used to be

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

my_custom_username posted:

Wrong - FF7 is both goofy *and* serious. That's what makes it good. The best media is media that has serious characters/themes told in a goofy/bombastic way. It actually makes the serious stuff have more impact when you aren't beating the audience over the head with "THIS IS SERIOUS!" audio/aesthetics.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

bedpan posted:

this has been an ongoing problem since the 1980s too. for decades now, video games have had writing teams who loathe video games and are forever grasping at television or movies.

I mean a lot of 80s tv was extremely formulaic so they weren't missing much.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

it's definitely better than it used to be
I think that there's just more offerings and accessibility to many many games instead of locked down to <50 shades of aaa grey only. like games like Outer Wilds, Hypnospace Outlaw, Cruelty, Talos Principle, Disco, etc really use the medium very well

i still think most AAA is very dire. the funniest though is when like netflix writers desperately want to be writing some prestige tv show instead of whatver they're forced to work on

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

wheras the true masters like Kojima understand that embracing goofiness is the path to transcending the medium. being goofy is life's greatest joy.

Yakuza is pretty good at this too. like pivoting effortlessly from serious melodrama to the most stupid poo poo imaginable.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

They shpuld be

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

uber_stoat posted:

Yakuza is pretty good at this too. like pivoting effortlessly from serious melodrama to the most stupid poo poo imaginable.

I think segmenting it into like "main story = serious, side story = goofiest poo poo in the world" makes it easier to take too, so the main story doesn't have like a yakuza guy in a diaper at the same time the scene is trying to be serious

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Lpzie posted:

xenogears

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Lpzie posted:

xenogears

man is not ready for a second attempt at finishing this

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

it would be awesome, but it will never happen

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Al! posted:

lol i got accidentally railroaded by the yuffie quest and found it so annoying i never actually beat the game

You unironically missed out

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Grapplejack posted:

You unironically missed out

the corneo stuff is pretty hosed up. he's a pedophile rapist sex trafficker and he's got this goofy clown music playing when he's trying to figure out whether he wants to rape a kid or a woman. and you don't even get to kill him

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Hatebag posted:

the corneo stuff is pretty hosed up. he's a pedophile rapist sex trafficker and he's got this goofy clown music playing when he's trying to figure out whether he wants to rape a kid or a woman. and you don't even get to kill him

it's not even the first time a powerful man is able to choose who's he's going to rape in the game

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
ff7 is weird because it does have things in its writing that address like, exploitation of the weak and defenseless and exploitation of the environment, and also portrayals of wife beaters and other unsavory types as being members of a force for good, in spite of their own short comings. you start the game doing eco terrorism.

but it's also like a wildly goofy game at every turn it can, like dressing a dog up like a guard to get on a boat. I love it

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I hope Rebirth plays up how Red XIII is actually a teenager despite looking like a gruff old dog-person.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

red is baby

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Buck Wildman posted:

salutations cloud did you know the wutaians worship this being as their almighty god? I have made him into a video game, please fight him for fabulous prizes

*speaking in full volume inside the shinra building* greetings cloud. I cannot wait for the day the shinra dogs are put down in a blaze of revolutionary justice. take this materia I invented, use the master's tools to dismantle his house.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

*speaking in full volume inside the shinra building* greetings cloud. I cannot wait for the day the shinra dogs are put down in a blaze of revolutionary justice. take this materia I invented, use the master's tools to dismantle his house.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

hubris.height posted:

ff7 is weird because it does have things in its writing that address like, exploitation of the weak and defenseless and exploitation of the environment, and also portrayals of wife beaters and other unsavory types as being members of a force for good, in spite of their own short comings. you start the game doing eco terrorism.

but it's also like a wildly goofy game at every turn it can, like dressing a dog up like a guard to get on a boat. I love it

whats wrong with ecoterrorism? and who bought me this avatar????

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

DaysBefore posted:

They shpuld be

Anyone writing fiction should be ashamed of themselves but that's not the point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

literally hojo's unpaid intern