Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I thought Free Guy did really well? Though admittedly, I didn't see it.

I just figure whenever a Hollywood bigwig starts going "I don't know Ryan, your last movie..." he just pulls up his shirt and they just sign whatever he puts in front of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Ryan Reynolds is what Armie Hammer could have been had the latter found a niche people jive with, and if he just ate straight out of a garbage can like Ryan does instead of his fellow man.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

davidspackage posted:

I thought Free Guy did really well? Though admittedly, I didn't see it.

I just figure whenever a Hollywood bigwig starts going "I don't know Ryan, your last movie..." he just pulls up his shirt and they just sign whatever he puts in front of them.

Oh he does well no matter what he does now. When I said "squandered", I meant in terms of quality. Deadpool established him as someone who can do whatever he wants now, and it will work. But there was a time there where everything he did bombed. X-Men Origins, Blade Trinity, Green Lantern, RIPD, just one mess after another.

Deadpool saved him. Which, to his credit, he really fought for. And I can't really blame him for at least half of the movies I just listed.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Even though I don’t care much for Ryan Reynolds’ comedy stylings, I can see pretty clearly that Armie Hammer has a fraction of the charisma of Reynolds and could not possibly have the same kind of career

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Man everything in that Wicked trailer looks so washed out

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Smokin' Aces is a pretty huge mess, but I actually thought Reynolds gave a really solid performance in it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I assume we're just going to see nothing but weird stuff from Ryan Reynolds going forward since he has now sold multiple companies for hundreds of millions of dollars.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

muscles like this! posted:

I assume we're just going to see nothing but weird stuff from Ryan Reynolds going forward since he has now sold multiple companies for hundreds of millions of dollars.

I think outside of Deadpool 3, we're going to only see him in projects where he can be seen drinking Aviation Gin.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

muscles like this! posted:

Billions

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Mulaney Power Move posted:

"That's the the one. That's the tornado that killed my mother."

Popular culture continues to lag behind Eerie Indiana.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

thrawn527 posted:

I think outside of Deadpool 3, we're going to only see him in projects where he can be seen drinking Aviation Gin.

in his owners box at Wrexham

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_6bscCG7OA

If you have the time, this video is relevant. The opening, at least, touches heavily on the Aviation Gin aspect, and The Rock's tequila brand. And how Red Notice was largely a commercial for both. Reynolds and The Rock are becoming more brands than actors.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Feb 12, 2024

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Nybble posted:

in his owners box at Wrexham

Extremely excited for this

thrawn527 posted:

I'm assuming you can't say, but on the off chance you can, are you able to say what movie's trailer didn't get aired?

I don't know because they didn't tell us because they didn't trust us so lol good call. I'm sure it will come out though.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'm really looking forward to seeing The Fall Guy.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I'd say more so The Rock - his poo poo is so loving transparent. I kinda hate it. And with all his recent movies sucking loads of donkey poo poo he's gone back to wrestling. And apparently wrestling fans aint too happy about that either.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Vintersorg posted:

I'd say more so The Rock - his poo poo is so loving transparent. I kinda hate it. And with all his recent movies sucking loads of donkey poo poo he's gone back to wrestling. And apparently wrestling fans aint too happy about that either.

He's apparently making a movie with A24 and Benny Safdie, so I'm curious what the hell that's gonna look like.

quote:

Per A24, the film marks “The Rock’s move into his most dramatic project and role yet.” The movie’s logline reads: “‘The Smashing Machine’ is a drama based on the story of Mark Kerr, the legendary MMA fighter from the no-holds-barred era of the UFC at the peak of his career. He struggles with addiction, winning, love and friendship in the year 2000.”

Could be good? At least seems like he may be trying for the time since...Pain and Gain? Which he is very good in.

edit: I should say, you're definitely right. His return to both wrestling and Fast & Furious is a sign that things have not gone well.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Feb 12, 2024

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
*nuclear bomb detonates*
Scene: In control room full of screens all gone to static

Random tech: “Readings show the Tornado has dissipated sir!”
*everyone in room claps and cheers*

Arrogant General to Sullen protagonist: (smugly) “Looks like we won’t be needing your toys after all egghead.”

Random tech: “Sir, I’m getting a strange reading here…”

*All the screens clear, showing tornado is now ultra tornado*

Arrogant General: “Oh, my, God…”

Sullen Protagonist: “You idiots! You’ve harmonized its air pressures! Now it will not stop, can not stop, until it has equalized it’s rotation!

Now humbled General: And when will that happen?

Sullen Protagonist: (gravely) “When it has sucked up every landmass in the northern hemisphere.”

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Vintersorg posted:

I'm happy about it, but I also hate WWE and want to see the company fail.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

LesterGroans posted:

Smokin' Aces is a pretty huge mess, but I actually thought Reynolds gave a really solid performance in it.
Peak Chris Pine hotness.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

galagazombie posted:

*nuclear bomb detonates*
Scene: In control room full of screens all gone to static

Random tech: “Readings show the Tornado has dissipated sir!”
*everyone in room claps and cheers*

Arrogant General to Sullen protagonist: (smugly) “Looks like we won’t be needing your toys after all egghead.”

Random tech: “Sir, I’m getting a strange reading here…”

*All the screens clear, showing tornado is now ultra tornado*

Arrogant General: “Oh, my, God…”

Sullen Protagonist: “You idiots! You’ve harmonized its air pressures! Now it will not stop, can not stop, until it has equalized it’s rotation!

Now humbled General: And when will that happen?

Sullen Protagonist: (gravely) “When it has sucked up every landmass in the northern hemisphere.”

Arrogant General: Can't we just nuke the ultratornado?

Sullen Protagonist: The ultratornado has rebounded the nuclear EMF blast all around the world, none of our modern nukes are operative and none of our modern bombers have the capacity to launch analog nukes!

Arrogant General: Someone call the National Air and Space Museum, our only hope of saving the entire world is to bring the Enola Gay out of retirement!!

Random Tech: But sir, she's hopelessly out of shape!!

/training montage of the Enola Gay getting back into fighting shape

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

A lot of it is that just about everything he does just feels so samey, like he's struck a formula and now instead of movies, it's MOVIE-ESQUE FILM EXPERIENCESTM FEATURING THE DWAYNE ROCK JOHNSONTM.

Like, gently caress off mate.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

thrawn527 posted:

Of course not. People were saying that kinda thing when Suicide Squad "only" made eight hundred million dollars which was supposedly a death knell for superhero movies. That was like a decade ago

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

You all jest, but just watch, the plot of the movie will be they have to intercept and destroy the super tornado before it destroys a major metropolitan area with an orphanage in the epicenter or whatever. Also the trailer clearly shows a tornado attacking a rodeo or fair or something so expect a bunch of people getting sucked off of a ferris wheel.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Here are some plausible things based on the trailer:

1.) The Tornado Wrangler gives a rowdy pre-game talk to his team of tornado chasers. They will be picked off one by one by the super cell outbreak
2.) A guy tries to kamikaze a tornado with his airplane
3.) A fair is destroyed by a tornado, a bunch of people will be sucked off a ferris wheel, we'll see a ride called "twister" sucked off by the tornado
4.) The Tornado Wrangler will find love with the daughter of Helen Hunt thanks to the tornados
5.) We see guys getting sucked into a tornado, just flying through the air. Expect the "we got cows" scene except it's people.

Some educated guesses:

1.) A tornado the size of a city destroys a city
2.) Environmental message about global warming causing super tornados; the real way to destroy a tornado is to protect the environment
3.) Climate change denier/conspiracy nut is sucked out of his basement by a tornado
4.) The government is complicit
5.) One of the guys in the tornado chasing team is a weird creepy guy who thinks tornados are sexy and he will get sucked off by a tornado

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

getting sucked off by a F5 tornado

a bunch of people getting sucked off

weird creepy guy who thinks tornados are sexy and he will get sucked off by a tornado

I can't help but think this movie is going to really disappoint you.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Yeah probably. Joking aside it was the best of the Super Bowl trailers. Wicked, Deadpool, and Apes can't top a movie with a guy named the tornado wrangler who drives a monster truck that drills into the ground to anchor under a tornado and he's going to try to "destroy" a tornado.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Twisters is a joint movie with WB and Universal and there's a lot of epic cheese to show you. I haven't seen it yet but I'm there at the first opportunity.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

It will definitely be a suckfest

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

kiimo posted:

Twisters is a joint movie

That's what I thought, too.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Accidentally just came up with the new tagline

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

We'll also probably get a special on the Weather Channel or maybe Discovery that shows a bunch of clips from the movie and attempts to explain the real science behind tornados. "In this epic scene, a cowboy uses his lariat to lasso a child and prevent him from getting blown away by a powerful tornado. Here's why this wouldn't work in real life..."

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I wonder what sort of trauma the tornados will symbolize.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

GrandpaPants posted:

Too much air.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

GrandpaPants posted:

Wokeness

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

GrandpaPants posted:

Climate refugees

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

well in the first movie, the tornadoes symbolized the trauma of seeing your dad killed by a tornado.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

New York Post Opinion: In Liberal Hollywood, Tornados are "Woke"

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

GrandpaPants posted:

Being subjected to tinny hold music on the phone with the bank.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
We should get a new Universal cinematic universe out of this since apparently they are just hiding the Dark Universe off in their theme parks as theming (happy that the dark universe gets to live on in some form tho!)

Universal disaster movies that had park shows I went to as a kid universe. Twister, Earthquake, uhh... thats it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Snooze Cruise posted:

Universal disaster movies that had park shows I went to as a kid universe. Twister, Earthquake, uhh... thats it

Apparently they had a small Dante's Peak segment in the tram tour but it was pretty lackluster