Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
Yeah, I was a kid when I last went so I've only been to a couple different mountains, all on the east coast. Once I felt like I had gotten "good enough" at skiing I decided to switch to snowboarding instead of trying to get further into jumps/tricks etc. I'm sure there was tons more I could've learned though, looking back. I definitely enjoy snowboarding more though so I might just go the wrist guard route!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
If you already have back problems, I would suggest avoid snowboarding.

I began skiing in middle school, I too found it boring because I was in the Midwest. I switched to snowboarding from 13-20. Then I started again when I was 25. I moved to Seattle in my 30s and hurt my back (herniated two lumbar discs) not while snowboarding at some point. Snowboarding was pretty rough after that. Bending over to strap in, the twisting, any fall. I decided to try skiing and it was much more comfortable and it's only as boring as you make it. Itn a snowboard, it's so hard for me not to hit a jump because it's what I've been doing for years. On skis, I'm focusing more on technique and getting better. It was fun learning how to ski again. There's a lot to learn and always room to improve. Whenever I feel like a challenge I just do harder terrain, maybe tricky if you're out east.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Plus you can go to Deer Valley with the rest of us snobs and look out and there isn't a flannel for as far as the eye can see and bring back old late 80s sayings like snowboards tear up the mountain in your most elitist voice

vvvvv yeah I know. Thoughts on where the best deals are? Is Costco still a thing? First time back in Colorado since...well probably the turn of the century

kiimo fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Feb 10, 2024

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

kiimo posted:

lol I'm going to Vail in a couple weeks.

A three day lift ticket is $867

My dude you're not supposed to pay sticker price.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I assume this "Dope" brand is something from Instagram... It is everywhere this yeah. It unfortunately does not look very dope.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I find it kind of hilarious, how that brand and its sister brand Montec seem to turn people's knickers in a twist west of the Atlantic, whereas here in Europe, no one seems to care. At least per internet warriors in various forums.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

People seem to love it over here actually. Literally all over the place. Mostly the price I am guessing.

I think the montec stuff looks better. I have no clue on the actual quality of either.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Man, getting an epic 4 punch pass for $400? Was clutch. Today's lift tickets at park city were 269.

Two days so far and this thing has already paid for itself. Snow was great yesterday, not bad today and still good. My Smith 4d mag goggles were fogged and never cleared so that was annoying.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

It's the most modern looking ski apparel in Europe. Everyone else is still rocking 90s ski fashion.

I think it looks fine? I'm gonna stick with my small, super expensive home mountain brand though. Yes that's right, this year I'm wearing exclusively AspenX

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

spwrozek posted:

People seem to love it over here actually. Literally all over the place. Mostly the price I am guessing.
No idea. I have a Montec bib and jacket, they were around 200€-ish each. I'd figure it's a normal price range for someone like me that does 10-15 days on the mountain a year.

r/snowboarding tells me I'm a jerry and should have easily found stuff from brands "that give back to the sport" (whatever that even means, like I give a gently caress about sponsored riders), like Volcom, 686 et al. I've actually looked for their stuff, and it's either not easily available or more expensive. And has typically less interesting patterns.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Well looking at r/snowboarding... Never a good idea lol.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I miss getting $35 tickets to Winter Park from the Gold C book.

Outside Online from 2004 posted:

One word of advice: Save your pennies before you head to Aspen. This year’s full-day lift ticket is $59, making it the highest-priced resort in the nation. Ouch.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Ah, nothing like falling in a lift line to keep myself humble.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Godlessdonut posted:

Ah, nothing like falling in a lift line to keep myself humble.

A few weeks ago there were some foreign tourists taking the T-bar up at Breck who I'm not sure had ever gone skiing before that day.

Thankfully they both fell, got dragged a few feet, and didn't end up at the top.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Goddamn Sun Valley is steep

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I always heard Sun Valley was known for their groomers but I’ve never skied there

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

spwrozek posted:

I think the montec stuff looks better. I have no clue on the actual quality of either.

The quality is meh, but totally fine if you're doing a "normal" amount of skiing (maybe a couple weeks a year or one big trip or something). I took a close look at my SIL's Montec set because I was curious and liked the look. Single-row stitching, seams aren't taped or welded, and the face fabric is quite thin. I think I'd probably wear it out pretty quick and I wouldn't trust it very far in the backcountry.

Hard to argue with the price though, it's like half the cost of dead bird or Patagonia. It looks great, as well.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

bawfuls posted:

I always heard Sun Valley was known for their groomers but I’ve never skied there

When I did a day in the bike park there last year it was STEEP.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

The quality is meh, but totally fine if you're doing a "normal" amount of skiing (maybe a couple weeks a year or one big trip or something). I took a close look at my SIL's Montec set because I was curious and liked the look. Single-row stitching, seams aren't taped or welded, and the face fabric is quite thin. I think I'd probably wear it out pretty quick and I wouldn't trust it very far in the backcountry.

Hard to argue with the price though, it's like half the cost of dead bird or Patagonia. It looks great, as well.

when i looked around their site a while back they did have one 3L seam taped kit. most of their stuff is lower end though from a technical standpoint. like you said it will work fine for the vast majority of resort skiers.

ironlung fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Feb 12, 2024

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

Clearly they spend more on tiktok and instagram infulencers than they do on anything else. I feel like they would have nice designs if they didn't plaster their branding in massive lettering in like 5 different places on their jackets.

They may be cheaper than Patagonia but you can get much better quality gear from 686 or Volcom at similar prices if not slightly more.

The Dope/Montec people are the same people I see get suckered in by CLEW bindings and Ruroc helmets.

Partial Octopus fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Feb 12, 2024

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Eejit posted:

When I did a day in the bike park there last year it was STEEP.

In summer, Northstar is sometimes referred to as Gnarstar. In winter, Flatstar

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Update on the bindings the store hosed up - they said they are safe according to their test but off center by 1mm. I’m measuring 2-2.5mm pretty consistently. They refuse to offer any compensation because it was a hard job to do with a paper jig. The heel is definitely canted but safe according to them. I guess now I get to figure out the best way to review bomb them

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Time posted:

Update on the bindings the store hosed up - they said they are safe according to their test but off center by 1mm. I’m measuring 2-2.5mm pretty consistently. They refuse to offer any compensation because it was a hard job to do with a paper jig. The heel is definitely canted but safe according to them. I guess now I get to figure out the best way to review bomb them

If you send a picture to ATK they will 100% back you up on that not being OK. I don't know if that's useful, but they are adamant about perfect alignment.

You may also be able to regain some alignment by loosening the screws, redoing the glue, mounting the boot in the toepiece, and holding some pressure in the right direction as you torque each screw down incrementally. If you can get the metal in the bootheel to contact both pins at the same time then that's the main goal as far as I can discern.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Car Hater posted:

Goddamn Sun Valley is steep
This makes me feel better about getting my rear end kicked by it last year. It was fun, but yeah it was really steep and it shook a new skier in our group pretty bad. I don't think she's gone skiing since. :smith:

Partial Octopus posted:

Clearly they spend more on tiktok and instagram infulencers than they do on anything else. I feel like they would have nice designs if they didn't plaster their branding in massive lettering in like 5 different places on their jackets.
The secret is to wear hand-me-down army parkas and poo poo that don't have any branding and work just as well if all you need is a shell over your layers. With any luck I will never have to replace my parka and it still works as well as Day 1 (for me).

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Time posted:

This is a pretty poo poo excuse. If they can't do the job up to standard because of a paper jig, then they should refuse the job up front.

We need some pics, time to go scorched earth. I second Spime Wrangler's suggestion to contact ATK about it for some backup.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

So, the thing about those Stöcklis is that they're fun as hell but also heavy and when your legs are too tired to drive them, they definitely drive you

Also that makes them less then ideal for moguls. So, what's everyone's favorite mogul and bump ski?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

If you didn't pay cash time to do a charge back

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Partial Octopus posted:

The Dope/Montec people are the same people I see get suckered in by CLEW bindings and Ruroc helmets.
So half the people on the Alps in Europe (and probably similar elsewhere on this continent).

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

George H.W. oval office posted:

If you didn't pay cash time to do a charge back
the problem is the cost of the mount is peanuts compared to the cost of the skis that the shop hosed up

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

So half the people on the Alps in Europe (and probably similar elsewhere on this continent).

lots of people like to buy cheap poo poo. I think that's a universal phenomenon.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

regulargonzalez posted:

So, the thing about those Stöcklis is that they're fun as hell but also heavy and when your legs are too tired to drive them, they definitely drive you

Also that makes them less then ideal for moguls. So, what's everyone's favorite mogul and bump ski?

J Skis Joyride or Fastforward. I have the FF and think they're an excellent front side ski. Perfect match of playfulness and performance.

I'd go Joyride if you want something without titanal, but I have the FF in the longest length and I don't think I would want a less stiff ski.

Also the top sheet and base art is :discourse:

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

photoupload

First - It is quite hard to hold a ruler and take a pic at the same time so forgive the photos being less than stellar

Second - if this looks normal to people, or even reasonable, let me know. I dont have any frame of reference for this, everything else I have has always been dead on. If I am just being too precious about it, I will happily roll with what I got. Hell, that would be the best outcome because I could just go ski on these and not go through the hassle of figuring this out

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Time posted:

photoupload

First - It is quite hard to hold a ruler and take a pic at the same time so forgive the photos being less than stellar

Second - if this looks normal to people, or even reasonable, let me know. I dont have any frame of reference for this, everything else I have has always been dead on. If I am just being too precious about it, I will happily roll with what I got. Hell, that would be the best outcome because I could just go ski on these and not go through the hassle of figuring this out

I don’t have the expertise to weigh in on how that offset would affect safety or performance, but they visibly did a very bad job. I did not appreciate from your description how hosed it is that the tech looked at that and thought they were good to go, or that the shop is giving you trouble about fixing them. Hopefully ATK or somebody can make this right.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I see 3mm difference between these two measurements (9 vs 6), meaning 1.5mm offset from center

It's definitely noticeable even without the ruler, and you're not being too precious about it. Exhaust all possible avenues to fixing this now before the window of opportunity closes.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Welp just bought a plane ticket to Utah for some skiing this weekend. A bit of an impromptu whirlwind trip but I am dying in the PNW. A couple people will be camping somewhere and me and another person are probably getting a motel. May be skiing Park City and another mountain. Never skied in the states (except Baker) so I'm looking forward to it!

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Have fun. My vote is go to snowbird.

Everywhere is going to be pretty crowded this weekend with it being a holiday on Monday so just be prepared for that

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

spwrozek posted:

Everywhere* is going to be pretty crowded this weekend with it being a holiday on Monday so just be prepared for that

* except Wolf Creek

On another topic, I don't suppose Vail has a thing like Wolf Creek where beginners can buy a half price lift ticket that limits them to just the beginner area? I'm going there in a couple of weeks on an Epic Pass, my wife is a beginner and is coming but doesn't have a pass and we don't really want to buy full price tickets when she's doing the easiest of greens right now.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Feb 13, 2024

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

spwrozek posted:

My vote is go to snowbird.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Going to crested Butte this weekend. LFG!