Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
DE is a much better role playing game but BG3 is still exceptionally good and also includes a very fun combat system which makes some bits of the roleplaying even better. For example in my first run through I didn't realize you could actually save a certain NPC because they got gigadunked on the first turn and I figured it was a setpiece. But nope, you can save them by not being trash and then it dramatically changes that chapter of the story.

I've played both through twice and they are both as close to 10/10 experiences you can get

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
agreed, they both go on the Good list

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

MrQwerty posted:

Quake only had exposition skipping tech because it was reworked in the middle of development and everyone was fighting with each other and competing with each other politically.

Quake was supposed to be a whole lot more like Daikatana than it was.

Am I missing the joke? IIRC Quake had no exposition, apart maybe from a text popup on maybe two stages when you flicked a switch and they told you that something moved.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Quake had some text on screen at the end of an episode, but the story was otherwise completely contained in a few sentences in the instruction manual.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

complaining about the tram ride in Half-Life is weakness

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006

Serephina posted:

Am I missing the joke? IIRC Quake had no exposition, apart maybe from a text popup on maybe two stages when you flicked a switch and they told you that something moved.

quake (like doom) was originally designed with lots of characters and plot but it was all scrapped because such things aren't interesting enough programming challenges for jon carmack. that is my extremely reductionist take on it, anyway

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

they were scrapped because oldschool id wisely realized that story in video games is incredibly unimportant

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

"drat, that Quake bastard works fast!"

That's enough story. Now shoot things.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

complaining about the tram ride in Half-Life is wokeness

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Disco Elysium is not a RPG

I don't know what it is, a depression simulator?

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

QuarkJets posted:

What makes you think it isn't a RPG?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

Much like your posts :smug:

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

syntaxfunction posted:

Tuen on ur moniturr huhuhuhuh

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

syntaxfunction posted:

I yearn to be an easy to please simpleton but it just never works :negative:

I played roughly 10 hours of DE and it just felt like the game wanted to do nothing but yammer at me about what a dipshit loser the character is. I think I may have just been burned out on playing dipshit loser characters after playing all of the Dark Souls games

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
You were playing it wrong.

I mean, unless you wanted to be a dipshit loser. Then that was your choice.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Can you fight people in Disco Elysium? It's probably a fighting game.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
It's a rogue like.

Because Harry is a rogue and I like him, despite himself.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

The Moon Monster posted:

Can you fight people in Disco Elysium? It's probably a fighting game.

It sounds more like a dancing game, what with Disco in the name.

razamataza
Jan 2, 2006

You can deliver a sweet jumping roundhouse kick at one point.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

QuarkJets posted:

I yearn to be an easy to please simpleton but it just never works :negative:

I played roughly 10 hours of DE and it just felt like the game wanted to do nothing but yammer at me about what a dipshit loser the character is. I think I may have just been burned out on playing dipshit loser characters after playing all of the Dark Souls games

idk DE kinda falls in the same gap as any long-winded video game for me. physical books are easy to read at length, ebooks no problem also, but once you put a novel-length text in a video game my brain checks out totally. baldur's gate, fallout, pillars of eternity, these are all games i half-skim, at best. i just cannot read gigantic blocks of text on a video game world with the portraits and the environment and the music going all at once.

i think lost odyssey is the only exception to this, but it also consolidates the presentation of its short stories into what is basically a simple ebook with music

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Fur20 posted:

idk DE kinda falls in the same gap as any long-winded video game for me. physical books are easy to read at length, ebooks no problem also, but once you put a novel-length text in a video game my brain checks out totally. baldur's gate, fallout, pillars of eternity, these are all games i half-skim, at best. i just cannot read gigantic blocks of text on a video game world with the portraits and the environment and the music going all at once.

i think lost odyssey is the only exception to this, but it also consolidates the presentation of its short stories into what is basically a simple ebook with music

Luckily the directors cut of DE is entirely voice acted

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

Fur20 posted:

I remember lost odyssey and nier doing this yeah, and it actually works for me.

I think it is the mixed signals of stimulation you're getting when you've got this colourful 3D world which you can physically explore and the game just freezes to overlay a static image and some text over it and wants you to stop and read. It's only if I'm already interested in what the doc says, like say, in Deus Ex where snooping around people's personal files felt relevant and actually had cool info in it. I'm usually not going to interrupt my 10 various subgoals I'm working on gameplay wise to read 5 pages of lore about some wizard subculture.

but the ebook presentation with music + bg image + maybe some particle effects for mood works because it blocks everything else out and sets it's own mood. Plus, it can put a strategic amount of text on the screen at one time to stop your eyes glazing over the way they do when it's suddenly 5 unexpected paragraphs.

RE notes also work for me because they tend to be short, relevant, first person and also they take up the entire screen so you are mentally transported into the note zone.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Resident Evil notes also offer a bit of a reprieve and/or are largely delegated to near the end of the game where there is probably some sort of infodump room where the main antagonist was doing all their journaling and science projects.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
The new Prince of Persia game is really bad about this. You just jumped through a long gauntlet of spikes and rotating blades and narrowly survived, now stop and read a dry Wikipedia article about Persian mythology that has nothing to do with the game.

That said, to name drop a good example from a totally different game, the often cryptic text terminals in the Marathon games really elevated them from being "just another Doom clone" and inspired a lot of online speculation that lasted for decades after the game's release. It was sort of the 1990s predecessor to stuff like ARGs and the current cottage industry of YouTubers making 10 hour lore videos about item descriptions in Dark Souls or w/e.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
marathon had some good loving writing for what it was

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Pathways Into Darkness
Marathon
Myth
Oni

Solid masterpieces, every one of them. Bungie was* my favorite developer.

*you know why

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

the death of the Myth games after 2 and its disaster launch made me very sad, I loved them

I played 3, it wasn't good enough to call itself Myth

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

MrQwerty posted:

the death of the Myth games after 2 and its disaster launch made me very sad, I loved them

I played 3, it wasn't good enough to call itself Myth

3 was so bad. The cutscenes were so bad. Everything about it was terrible. But it also wasn't Bungie, it was some other studio that worked on it.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

credburn posted:

3 was so bad. The cutscenes were so bad. Everything about it was terrible. But it also wasn't Bungie, it was some other studio that worked on it.

yeah I know, Bungie had already been acquired by Microsoft and started turning that cool game I wanted to play into the Halo we know and love by that point

it's too bad Myth 2 had that goddamn install bug in the launch copy, and that those games were real niche even when they came out

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

fridge corn posted:

Luckily the directors cut of DE is entirely voice acted

Listening to someone read a huge block of text out loud way more slowly than you can read it is even worse! It's like being back in fourth grade.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

The Moon Monster posted:

Listening to someone read a huge block of text out loud way more slowly than you can read it is even worse! It's like being back in fourth grade.

It would be except the performances are quite good. Why would I bother going to see a production of hamlet or whatever when I can just read it myself much more quickly lol

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

roomtone posted:

I remember lost odyssey and nier doing this yeah, and it actually works for me.

I think it is the mixed signals of stimulation you're getting when you've got this colourful 3D world which you can physically explore and the game just freezes to overlay a static image and some text over it and wants you to stop and read. It's only if I'm already interested in what the doc says, like say, in Deus Ex where snooping around people's personal files felt relevant and actually had cool info in it. I'm usually not going to interrupt my 10 various subgoals I'm working on gameplay wise to read 5 pages of lore about some wizard subculture.

but the ebook presentation with music + bg image + maybe some particle effects for mood works because it blocks everything else out and sets it's own mood. Plus, it can put a strategic amount of text on the screen at one time to stop your eyes glazing over the way they do when it's suddenly 5 unexpected paragraphs.

RE notes also work for me because they tend to be short, relevant, first person and also they take up the entire screen so you are mentally transported into the note zone.

The Resident Evil series is one of the few where I find myself invested in cutscenes and lore notes. It's just so batshit, but also weirdly wholesome because everyone has the mentality of children (apart from 6 which feels kind of mean spirited).

The take themselves exactly as seriously as they need to and the lore notes are like "what happens if you inject mutagenic viruses into grasshoppers? The answer may surprise you" rather than "in 1465 year other emperor many wizards converged upon the realm of Dookicky to ponder the staff of unmasking, gifted to Debulon after the War of Two Princes therefore..."

Elder Scrolls notes are absolute dog poo poo. I kind of like the From method, they're evocative and sometimes slyly funny. Baldurs Gate has too many books and I skimmed most. Disco Elysium remembered to have good characters that I want to talk to - there's books, but you don't have to engage with them at all and your character at least responds interestingly. Funnily enough, the only mildly annoying lore dump in DE is when you research the abandoned fantasy game developers studio.

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Feb 14, 2024

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

fridge corn posted:

It would be except the performances are quite good. Why would I bother going to see a production of hamlet or whatever when I can just read it myself much more quickly lol

I would absolutely rather read Hamlet myself than listen to someone else read Hamlet while looking at a portrait of Hamlet on my computer monitor. Also, Dark Souls is the Hamlet of games, not Disco Elysium.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Plays are written to be spoken aloud.

Anyway yet again gamers who are so insistent that video games be considered art prove to be completely incapable of treating it as such

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

fridge corn posted:

Anyway yet again gamers who are so insistent that video games be considered art prove to be completely incapable of treating it as such

Plays are meant to be acted. If you think that this

is equivalent to actually watching a play I don't know what to tell you. If you want to claim that Disco Elysium isn't art I'm willing to give you that.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

fridge corn posted:

Saw Ralph Fiennes and Indira Varma in Macbeth last night, and I'm always reminded with Shakespeare how true it is. Like, reading it, it feels kind of 'worthy' and dense, but then when you get it up on a stage, you get a lot of really genuinely very funny laughs. He's held in such high esteem you forget he's super fuckin' bawdy and sardonic. A lot of the humour feels really modern, because of course it's just timeless. This bit in particular:

Lennox
The night has been unruly. Where we lay,
Our chimneys were blown down; and, as they say,
Lamentings heard i' the air, strange screams of death;

And prophesying, with accents terrible
Of dire combustion and confused events
New hatched to the woeful time. The obscure bird
Clamored the livelong night. Some say, the earth
Was feverous and did shake.

Macbeth
'Twas a rough night

Where Lennox does this super prosaic, hyperbolic description of how awful the night was, and Macbeth just takes a beat and goes... "Yup." It's easy to miss on the page, but on stage it kinda feels like Shakespeare taking the piss out of himself, or, out of all the bluster and verbosity of it all.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

The Moon Monster posted:

Plays are meant to be acted. If you think that this

is equivalent to actually watching a play I don't know what to tell you. If you want to claim that Disco Elysium isn't art I'm willing to give you that.

No I don't think that playing Disco Elysium is equivalent to watching a play. You misunderstand me. The purpose of my analogy is to demonstrate that by skipping the voiced lines in Disco Elysium is to deprive yourself of an integral part of the work, one which informs and elevates the entire experience. Much like reading a play, yes there are things to be gained from that and it's typically more accessible but there is much more to be gained by actually going and watching a performance of it. I don't understand why anyone who is serious about video games as art would skip or otherwise complain about the excellently acted voice work in Disco Elysium

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Concept pitch: Ye Olde Gamer Theatre

It's like a regular theater except half of the stage is taken up by a big screen that displays all of the characters' dialogue. You can read Hamlet's entire soliloquy by the time he's only 1/4 of the way through giving it, and then play Angry Birds on your phone or something while he catches up.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

It's like a regular theater except half of the stage is taken up by a big screen that displays all of the characters' dialogue. You can read Hamlet's entire soliloquy by the time he's only 1/4 of the way through giving it, and then play Angry Birds on your phone or something while he catches up.

This is Opera

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

The Moon Monster posted:

Hamlet is voiced by an anime actor and portrayed by a mannequin. On the way into the theatre you can pick up pamphlets on the history of Denmark and the diary of Hamlet's janitor.