Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Fruits of the sea posted:

To be honest I use magic missile a lot throughout the game because I think it’s cool.

I’m hoping somebody will make a tactical difficulty mod that isn’t just pumping up enemy stats. Would be neat if fights were larger and short rests constrained, to really force me to improvise with level 1 spell slots.

The number one thing I’d do with a difficulty mod is make it so enemies with a relatively high intelligence (probably 8 or higher) try to run from you if they realize they’re outmatched. That would make a lot of spells and positioning so much more important.

I at first thought if an enemy went invisible that they were going to try and run but I stopped caring when I realized they were just setting up an attack when they do that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Another thing about the evil deities is that a lot of it was just super lazy, racist writing. They wanted to make a bunch of races evil because Tolkien did without thinking any further than that, so they gave them evil gods.

It’s fun to do the thought exercises for why they make sense, actually but it’s really just “a bunch of white people wrote this with no feedback from anyone whose family didn’t come over on the Mayflower.”

I had a whole thing with a character who had been a former priest of Yurtrus where a god of pestilence and death made sense in a really harsh landscape where a thriving population would just eat up the limited resources and everyone would starve. I envisioned these small tribes who were in constant battle so they wouldn’t have to have an intervention from their god of pestilence, who would cull them if they didn’t cull themselves.

It was fun coming up with why a fundamentally moral individual would follow this god and slaughter anyone who tried to come into their territory and view it as mercy. “Either we kill you in honorable combat or Yurtrus comes for all of us and we die coughing in our beds. At least this way the children and elders are spared.”

But it’s really just leftovers from the much hackier old days of RPG writing.

I think BG3 does a lot with it, though. Shar and their handling of Lolth make a lot more sense than Zarus.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Gatto Grigio posted:

Also important to note that only clergy devote themselves to a specific god in FR for the most part. Your average layperson in Faerun generally gives prayers and offerings to multiple different gods at different times - yes, even the malevolent ones. They may favor one or a few depending on their culture. Much like the worship of gods with fearsome aspects in polytheistic cultures, offerings could be as much about avoid wrath as they are gaining favor (“Great Goddess Umberlee, please don’t sink my ship.”)

This makes perfect sense to me but everyone I’ve ever played dnd with instead insists it’s 100 simultaneous monotheisms

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

RFC2324 posted:

Those can miss, and can't be cast with a low level slot. Neither statement is true of magic missile.

No they can’t. They do half damage if the enemy fails their save. There’s maybe a niche case where the enemy specifically has evasion but I’ve yet to see it trigger. Low level slots are irrelevant beyond act 1 because by then you aren’t being meaningfully being constrained by supplies for resting. They’re basically just for casting shield and counterspell. But my point stands for any number of spells or even just attacking with a ranged attack or melee attack. Once you hit level 4 or so you ought to be able to focus and kill a high priority target in the space of a round, spending an action to disrupt their concentration but not kill them is not a productive use of resources.

At very low levels, yes. Magic missile is hugely useful. At higher levels it’s very niche.

If I ever do a third play through before an expansion I’d probably use custom mode to make long rests take more supplies. That and an optional AI boost to make appropriate enemies smarter would be fun.

I kinda miss how in old D&D games you either couldn’t rest at will in a dangerous area or there was a risk of ambush. In a real tabletop game
Your DM wouldn’t let you just rest any time you wanted so you actually have to conserve resources.

That isn’t the case in bg3 though, so you don’t need to worry about using those high level slots.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Feb 12, 2024

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

The Lord Bude posted:

No they can’t. They do half damage if the enemy fails their save. There’s maybe a niche case where the enemy specifically has evasion but I’ve yet to see it trigger. Low level slots are irrelevant beyond act 1 because by then you aren’t being meaningfully being constrained by supplies for resting. They’re basically just for casting shield and counterspell. But my point stands for any number of spells or even just attacking with a ranged attack or melee attack. Once you hit level 4 or so you ought to be able to focus and kill a high priority target in the space of a round, spending an action to disrupt their concentration but not kill them is not a productive use of resources.

At very low levels, yes. Magic missile is hugely useful. At higher levels it’s very niche.

If I ever do a third play through before an expansion I’d probably use custom mode to make long rests take more supplies. That and an optional AI boost to make appropriate enemies smarter would be fun.

I kinda miss how in old D&D games you either couldn’t rest at will in a dangerous area or there was a risk of ambush. In a real tabletop game
Your DM wouldn’t let you just rest any time you wanted so you actually have to conserve resources.

That isn’t the case in bg3 though, so you don’t need to worry about using those high level slots.

Look some of us only have like 2500 camp supplies so we have to be very careful when we long rest.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I was very satisfied with myself on the last run, I got down below 80 camp supplies on exactly my last long rest.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

exquisite tea posted:

I was very satisfied with myself on the last run, I got down below 80 camp supplies on exactly my last long rest.

How? I had 5000 camp supplies remaining when I finished the game. I didn’t buy any.

Maybe I spent too much time looting stuff.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
when in doubt; nip on down to the liquor store and clean them out. Breakfast of Heroes.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Best Friends posted:

This makes perfect sense to me but everyone I’ve ever played dnd with instead insists it’s 100 simultaneous monotheisms

no one understands dnd less than the people who play it

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

exquisite tea posted:

I'm nearing 10 lockpicks at the end of my honor mode run (just Gortash and the final battle left), which is probably the fewest I've had since act 1. I went through a lot because I aggro'd the Zhent immediately and never got the gloves from Brem. Other than my lockpicks though my resources haven't been scarce since early act 1.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
So, at the tiefling party you can tell the tiefling bard to write a song for you; do we ever get to hear it? (I told her to write a song about how the surface elves all suck)

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

woodenchicken posted:

So, at the tiefling party you can tell the tiefling bard to write a song for you; do we ever get to hear it? (I told her to write a song about how the surface elves all suck)

I don't believe so. I can never resist telling her to write a song about my hot bod tho, good on you for making the tough call

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

My Tav, the ugliest possible male halfling: have you SEEN this bod?

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

The number one thing I’d do with a difficulty mod is make it so enemies with a relatively high intelligence (probably 8 or higher) try to run from you if they realize they’re outmatched. That would make a lot of spells and positioning so much more important.

I at first thought if an enemy went invisible that they were going to try and run but I stopped caring when I realized they were just setting up an attack when they do that

Agreed, a Morale system that would allow outmatched enemies to flee and end combat would make combat much more enjoyable for me.

Having every hostile foe fight to their last HP is such a slog

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Halflings don't need no "bod" to get Lucky!

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Saraiguma posted:

no one understands dnd less than the people who play it

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

If you're playing the game well then everything is dead in two turns anyway, so I don't see how encounters becoming even more snowbally would help even out the difficulty. More legendary actions and reactions that cause the player to think for a little beyond "smack dude with your hardest hitting attack 9 times in a row" would open up the strategy, I think. HM Cazador for instance can really get quite scary because you have to take a very precise set of actions to not completely gently caress it up (yes you can cheese it with advance knowledge, but you could say that about anything). More fights like that, where you really need to use your mobility tools and abilities besides "kill thing" would make the game a bit more challenging.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Gatto Grigio posted:

Agreed, a Morale system that would allow outmatched enemies to flee and end combat would make combat much more enjoyable for me.

Having every hostile foe fight to their last HP is such a slog

I agree it would feel better in a lot of ways, but I also feel like this would last exactly as long as it takes for an enemy with unique loot to run away and take their shiny boots with them.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Large Testicles posted:

ok so i've never actually played a dnd based game before, is there somewhere that lists like "here's what you need to know before you play any of these games"?

i mean i've played lots of RPGs but nothing with such a large ruleset

Most rolls are 1-20, with bonuses added. Your "Ability modifier" is your stat (for example strength) minus 10, divided by 2. So if you have 18 strength, that gives you +4 to strength-y things, like shoving/throwing people, lifting rocks, etc. This number can be negative. if you only have 8 in a stat, you will get -1 to your roll.

When you cast spells on enemies that force them to make a saving throw, you have a number they're trying to beat with their roll, and they get bonuses to add. So whether you're hitting things or casting spells, you want as many points in your main stat as you can get. Dex is for bows or small 1-handed weapons, strength is for every other weapon and also all weapons that have the "thrown" tag. Wisdom is for druids and clerics and kind of Rangers. Charisma is for Bards, Sorcerers, Warlocks. Fighters, rangers, Paladins and monks can all use Dex or Strength to hit things, though they use different stats for their spells, so you want to have 1 high stat, and then a secondary stat for casting.

Other things stats get used for
Strength - used to determine how far you can jump. This alone is worth having it at 10 or higher.

Dex - sneaky stuff like hiding, stealing, lockpicking, disarming traps. Also determines your position in the turn order. You probably want someone in your party to have high Dex.

Charisma- intimidation, deception, persuasion. These come up a lot when talking to people, so its good to have someone who is good at them.

Wisdom - Perception (lets you see traps before you step on them) Survival (lets you see buried treasure), Insight (lets you see when people are trying to lie to you).

Int - Only wizards use this for damage, but is used for Arcana (seeing how much you know about magic), History (your general knowledge about people, places, events), Religion (arcana but for gods). These are all kinda useful and can help you bypass things without fighting or just give you fun background information about the game.

Con- Determines your max HP, how likely you are to resist being poisoned, and how good you are at maintaining concentration on a spell when you get hit.

Other random things

Concentration - some spells lasting multiple turns require Concentration. You can only concentrate on 1 spell at a time. If you get hit, you have a chance to lose concentration on the spell and if you do, it ends. If you cast a 2nd concentration spell while having 1 up, the first one ends. You will cast a concentration spell, and then immediately cancel it and it will suck and you'll feel dumb. Doubly so if that spell was Haste.

If you are in melee with an enemy, you will be worse at shooting them with spells or arrows. If you are in melee with an enemy and try to walk away from them, they get a free hit on you. This is called an "attack of opportunity".

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
If I want to do 9/3 monk/rog, should I switch over to rogue at level 6 the switch back to monk?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Kingtheninja posted:

If I want to do 9/3 monk/rog, should I switch over to rogue at level 6 the switch back to monk?

If you don't need the lockpicking, easier to take pure Monk to 8 then respec to 5/3.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Whenever you're doing a multiclass, you pretty much always want 1 class at 5 before you switch. Most martial classes get an extra attack at 5, and most spellcasters get powerful 3rd level spells like fireball and haste at level 5.

so yeah, 6 levels in monk should be fine. I put the cutoff for monk at 6 instead of 5 because that's when you get bonus damage on your unarmed strikes

A Moose fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Feb 12, 2024

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

The Lord Bude posted:

I call BS on being able to rest whenever you want. Can't do a long rest in a dungeon, and there are some plot events that too many long rests will break(or even one!)

I screwed up waukeens rest on my first play through because I realized I was getting somewhere where something was happening, took a long rest, and when I came back the whole plot point was over and missed. Additionally, I know if you take too many long rests the goblins will finally attack the grove. not sure how many other timed events there are, but doing too many long rests will definitely gently caress with your story

Burginator
Sep 10, 2007

Two ALL BEEF patties,
Special Sauce?
Let Us Cheese.

RFC2324 posted:

I call BS on being able to rest whenever you want. Can't do a long rest in a dungeon, and there are some plot events that too many long rests will break(or even one!)

I screwed up waukeens rest on my first play through because I realized I was getting somewhere where something was happening, took a long rest, and when I came back the whole plot point was over and missed. Additionally, I know if you take too many long rests the goblins will finally attack the grove. not sure how many other timed events there are, but doing too many long rests will definitely gently caress with your story

ok you can only long rest 99% of the time when you want without consequences

Waukeen's rest is possibly the only example of you taking a long rest making any impact on any quest in the entire game, and I've done a TON of long rests in act 1 and never seen the goblins attack the grove

There are some minor scripting things that I've seen long rests break (Non-lethally knocking out Minthara and then long resting before finishing the goblin camp will break that sequence, for instance), but by and large your long rests have essentially 0 impact on the game world. It's only a few weird/niche circumstances that are effected by long rests, and you honestly have to be doing something dumb/purposeful to have those instances arise

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Burginator posted:

ok you can only long rest 99% of the time when you want without consequences

Waukeen's rest is possibly the only example of you taking a long rest making any impact on any quest in the entire game, and I've done a TON of long rests in act 1 and never seen the goblins attack the grove

you can also let True Soul Nere die in the cave-in by taking too many long rests, though I imagine the duergar leaving and taking the gnomes with them might have some ramifications there

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think they changed the number of long rests you can take in Grymforge. It used to be one long rest before Nere face-timed you, now it's at least two, possibly more.

Beyond Waukeen's Rest the only other time-sensitive areas I know of are:

- Stop the Presses (have to resolve it on the day you find out you're being slandered)
- Save Counselor Florrick (must be done within 5 days of starting Act 3)

You can let the Grove stand for as long as you want.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Just now realizing my Cazador experience was way different because he never got a chance to power up. Not through any badassery I just made the con check.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

exquisite tea posted:

I think they changed the number of long rests you can take in Grymforge. It used to be one long rest before Nere face-timed you, now it's at least two, possibly more.

Beyond Waukeen's Rest the only other time-sensitive areas I know of are:

- Stop the Presses (have to resolve it on the day you find out you're being slandered)
- Save Counselor Florrick (must be done within 5 days of starting Act 3)

You can let the Grove stand for as long as you want.

Found a list of them on reddit a while back, its huge and convinced me not to gently caress around with long resting excessively.
https://www.reddit.com/r/BaldursGate3/comments/15q1o77/list_of_time_sensitive_quests/

maybe its been debunked since then, you can review it if you like

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Yes, Mirkon will die if you don't rescue him before saving the Grove and Rolan does die a certain number of rests after he leaves Last Light. I guess saving Thulla technically counts but there are like a dozen ways to do it and I've never not had an antidote by the time I find her. I think almost all the others have been debunked by now, or were just working off an incomplete understanding of how progressing through the Mountain Pass & Shadowfell advanced the world state.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Doesn't Orin eventually just say gently caress it and kill the kidnapping victim too, if you wait too long to deal with that?

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Thundarr posted:

Doesn't Orin eventually just say gently caress it and kill the kidnapping victim too, if you wait too long to deal with that?

I don’t think so. Halsin was kidnapped right near the start of my Act 3 for me, and killing Orin was the very last thing I did before the final boss, and I did everyone’s sidequests, so if there’s a limit it’s a very, very long one

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Thundarr posted:

I did very liberal resting during act 3 and Orin and her victim waited patiently for me.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Snake Maze posted:

I don’t think so. Halsin was kidnapped right near the start of my Act 3 for me, and killing Orin was the very last thing I did before the final boss, and I did everyone’s sidequests, so if there’s a limit it’s a very, very long one

Same, I even killed Sarevok which the game said would piss off Orin and she still didn't kill the hostage

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
So after saved Roland in Act 2, I've made it to Level 8, and have access to another feat for most of the party. I have to see if I can find that post someone made highlight which perks to take/avoid, but I know last time, I took Durable with most of the party, save for Lae'zel (I think because I gave her Tavern Brawler on account of respeccing her into a monk).

This time, I was thinking about giving everyone Tough, since it seems to boost your HP substantially (reloading from before picking the perk, it looks like Karlach went from 60HP to around 90, but I have to double-check).

The exception was Wyll, who's multi-classed into a Warlock/Bard, but on this level up, I can pick a Bard subclass, so I'm wondering which I should go with.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Max Wilco posted:

So after saved Roland in Act 2, I've made it to Level 8, and have access to another feat for most of the party. I have to see if I can find that post someone made highlight which perks to take/avoid, but I know last time, I took Durable with most of the party, save for Lae'zel (I think because I gave her Tavern Brawler on account of respeccing her into a monk).

This time, I was thinking about giving everyone Tough, since it seems to boost your HP substantially (reloading from before picking the perk, it looks like Karlach went from 60HP to around 90, but I have to double-check).

The exception was Wyll, who's multi-classed into a Warlock/Bard, but on this level up, I can pick a Bard subclass, so I'm wondering which I should go with.

asi is almost always the correct feat to take unfortunately

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

What's the point of kissing plate armour

No kink-shaming please.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Max Wilco posted:

is savage attacker as good as it looks?

because the text as written makes it pretty non-optional for melee characters

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It is very good.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Savage attacker is excellent for paladins since it rerolls all their smite dice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Wonder if it rerolls sneak attacks. Big if true.