Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think the fact that Michael Bay had absolutely zero care for the toyselling aspect of things, so there were no big directives for Hasbro to follow aside from not sticking with most of the franchise's common design orthodoxy and also to probably be shy about doing direct tributes to G1 characters who might show up in later movies really pushed Hasbro designers to do a lot of new things that they never did before or since. There's never going to be another toaster or snowmobile or biplane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I was just rereading the old Marvel GI Joe/TF crossover and it reminded me of something that's bugged me for literally decades at this point. At the bottom of page 17 a courier shows up to take a cerebro shell from a hospital to GI Joe to be analysed and we get a couple of panels of their internal thoughts. It reads like they were formerly a character of some significance that we're maybe supposed to recognise but they're literally never on panel aside from a hand and we never see them again. Who was that guy?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think the fact that Michael Bay had absolutely zero care for the toyselling aspect of things, so there were no big directives for Hasbro to follow aside from not sticking with most of the franchise's common design orthodoxy and also to probably be shy about doing direct tributes to G1 characters who might show up in later movies really pushed Hasbro designers to do a lot of new things that they never did before or since. There's never going to be another toaster or snowmobile or biplane.

I thought you misspelled 'storytelling' for a second but both are true.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
holy poo poo
https://twitter.com/dearsqn/status/1756650768810250240

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

https://x.com/othatsraspberry/status/1756652473589371376?s=20

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
just noticed this channel that had uploaded the entirety of Beast Wars in 4k HD with incredibly clean AI upscaling got nuked into oblivion
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK3BmCfwmCvPe6ziVso1Upw/videos

what a shame

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Yeah, the official TF channel started uploading Beast Wars episodes weekly last year, so it was really only a matter of time before they decided the fan uploads were going to be a problem.

A charitable reading of the situation could imply a new official upscaled re-release is coming, but I don't know how likely it is.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
:siren: FINALLY found Bombshell :siren:

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

DoctorWhat posted:

That's not actually true at all. Beast Wars 2/Neo/Car Robots are all directly in continuity with specifically the G1 cartoon, up to and including the return of Unicron being a major plot point.

Beast Machines is in continuity (as is Beast Wars) with a non-specific version of G1 that's neither the comics or cartoon. It's making fewer claims about what is and isn't canon than JBW. People get very angry when something they've already decided they don't like seems "arrogant" or "disrespectful", I find.

I have never seen anyone complain about BM's treatment of the actual G1 era beyond "that's a dumb way for Cybertron to end up in that continuity." The problem is that it's in continuity with Beast Wars and doesn't match up to any of it at all in any way. None of the characters from BW who are in BM resemble their established selves at all, and none of that feels intentional. BW is incidentally G1, but even if it wasn't, BM would be a terrible followup to it.

Also it's been a while since I watched BW but I really don't remember any G1 comic references in it.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Looks like Transarts is doing Depth Charge first, then Rampage.

https://showzstore.com/transart-bwm-14-beast-warstransformers-depth-charge_p5984.html

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

gently caress yeah

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Keldroc posted:

I have never seen anyone complain about BM's treatment of the actual G1 era beyond "that's a dumb way for Cybertron to end up in that continuity." The problem is that it's in continuity with Beast Wars and doesn't match up to any of it at all in any way. None of the characters from BW who are in BM resemble their established selves at all, and none of that feels intentional. BW is incidentally G1, but even if it wasn't, BM would be a terrible followup to it.

Also it's been a while since I watched BW but I really don't remember any G1 comic references in it.
According to the TFWiki, the show's G1 references came largely from online fans the writers were interacting with, so it wasn't an intentional decision as much as them just pulling in stuff people were suggesting without worrying about where it originates.

I kind of like the idea that Beast Era Megatron is responsible for the divergence in the Japanese and US G1 cartoon timelines.

The original timeline would have been the Japanese one, with the various small Master Transformers and the Pretenders setting the stage for the Maximal Upgrade. But when they were hauling Megatron back to Cybertron at the end of Beast Wars, he escaped during the Transwarp - with the time dilation planting him at the end of Season 3 of the G1 cartoon.
Megatron's presence changed things enough so that The Rebirth happened instead, and the show ends so abruptly because that's when Megatron starts taking over and prevents the development of techno-organic Transformers.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Robot Style posted:

According to the TFWiki, the show's G1 references came largely from online fans the writers were interacting with, so it wasn't an intentional decision as much as them just pulling in stuff people were suggesting without worrying about where it originates.

I kind of like the idea that Beast Era Megatron is responsible for the divergence in the Japanese and US G1 cartoon timelines.

The original timeline would have been the Japanese one, with the various small Master Transformers and the Pretenders setting the stage for the Maximal Upgrade. But when they were hauling Megatron back to Cybertron at the end of Beast Wars, he escaped during the Transwarp - with the time dilation planting him at the end of Season 3 of the G1 cartoon.
Megatron's presence changed things enough so that The Rebirth happened instead, and the show ends so abruptly because that's when Megatron starts taking over and prevents the development of techno-organic Transformers.

I guess I would watch a webseries or something about this angry little red dragon guy the size of Bumblebee running around trying to change the future while everyone tries to pretend they're not looking at him.

Edit: Actually I guess TM2 Megs is almost 40 feet tall so he'd blend in okay. But it would be funnier if he was Season 1 sized.

Keldroc fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Feb 13, 2024

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Robot Style posted:

Yeah, the official TF channel started uploading Beast Wars episodes weekly last year, so it was really only a matter of time before they decided the fan uploads were going to be a problem.

A charitable reading of the situation could imply a new official upscaled re-release is coming, but I don't know how likely it is.

That really sucks, I doubt Hasbro will even put a little bit of effort towards doing their own upscale and re-release

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
is it still on Tubi?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

drat this is a well-engineered toy. The ankles are unreal, transformation means he gets nice deep double elbows, and I love what he does with his hands. I don't think I've ever seen hands folding out with the inner part of the arm, mounted on a ball joint for the wrist. That's brilliant.

Had a minor QC issue with mine, the mushroom pegs around his waist were weirdly squared off at the sides with corners sticking out so they wouldn't rotate, bit it was easy enough to pop them out and trim them down.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
drat, I missed all the £15 TFs on Amazon UK. :smith:

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Dabir posted:

drat this is a well-engineered toy. The ankles are unreal, transformation means he gets nice deep double elbows, and I love what he does with his hands. I don't think I've ever seen hands folding out with the inner part of the arm, mounted on a ball joint for the wrist. That's brilliant.

Had a minor QC issue with mine, the mushroom pegs around his waist were weirdly squared off at the sides with corners sticking out so they wouldn't rotate, bit it was easy enough to pop them out and trim them down.

Never knew until now they made Sassy Prime.

You know he ain't takin no lip from Megatron.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I like that version of prime, except the lack of face mask just looks weird to me. I'm sorry Optimus prime just looks funny without it. It's like seeing soundwave without his mask.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The Last Call posted:

Never knew until now they made Sassy Prime.

You know he ain't takin no lip from Megatron.

I was going for kind of a jojo thing

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Cowslips Warren posted:

I like that version of prime, except the lack of face mask just looks weird to me. I'm sorry Optimus prime just looks funny without it. It's like seeing soundwave without his mask.

Marvel Soundwave deserves a comeback

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I like Animated Prime but I am waiting for the Motormaster repaint. It's my favorite Motormaster since it keeps his blockhead design but without neding to be a Menasor torso and also much more affordable. Plus, his moustache.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
if we are going animated, I want antlers Shockwave. I have no clue what the design team was thinking but I love it.

And his loving accent.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dabir posted:

I was going for kind of a jojo thing

Well, you got that, alright

I was thinking top half Jotaro, bottom half Dio

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Man, for some weird reason the digital version of this months comic is delayed til next week. Do I make a run to the local store to get the physical copy?

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Kingtheninja posted:

Man, for some weird reason the digital version of this months comic is delayed til next week. Do I make a run to the local store to get the physical copy?

That is weird.

How does a digital comic get delayed. Unless it's printed version is delayed as well.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

The Last Call posted:

That is weird.

How does a digital comic get delayed. Unless it's printed version is delayed as well.

That's what I assumed but my local shop posted their releases for today and #5 is in the picture.

Edit: just looked and another image comic (the cabinet) has a physical release today but the digital release is listed as next week.

Kingtheninja fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Feb 14, 2024

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Keldroc posted:

I guess I would watch a webseries or something about this angry little red dragon guy the size of Bumblebee running around trying to change the future while everyone tries to pretend they're not looking at him.

Edit: Actually I guess TM2 Megs is almost 40 feet tall so he'd blend in okay. But it would be funnier if he was Season 1 sized.

lmao I just realized that season 1 Megatron's alt mode isn't a tyrannosaurus rex; due to scale, he's a nanotyrannus

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

So Hasbro is not having a good time in the Quarterly Earnings, which may mean bad things for their output.
https://www.cnbc.com/2024/02/13/hasbro-has-earnings-q4-2023.html

I do kinda feel like there may have already been a lot of cost saving from the reduction of detail in molds and paint. I kinda felt like some of my newer figures looked "blurrier" than the older ones, and I think it's most obvious with Hound.

There's not just less paint applications and no wash, I feel like the mold pieces that are new are a lot smoother.

Which I don't particularly want to scold Hasbro for cost cutting, but it might explain more why a lot of new figures aren't so much my jam. I've also been feeling like a lot of figures have less "crisp" looking details, and I don't really know how to really precisely analyze that, like the Junkions aren't the right sort of gribbly, I dunno.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

SlothfulCobra posted:

So Hasbro is not having a good time in the Quarterly Earnings, which may mean bad things for their output.
https://www.cnbc.com/2024/02/13/hasbro-has-earnings-q4-2023.html

I do kinda feel like there may have already been a lot of cost saving from the reduction of detail in molds and paint. I kinda felt like some of my newer figures looked "blurrier" than the older ones, and I think it's most obvious with Hound.

There's not just less paint applications and no wash, I feel like the mold pieces that are new are a lot smoother.

Which I don't particularly want to scold Hasbro for cost cutting, but it might explain more why a lot of new figures aren't so much my jam. I've also been feeling like a lot of figures have less "crisp" looking details, and I don't really know how to really precisely analyze that, like the Junkions aren't the right sort of gribbly, I dunno.

Aren't they selling off Dungeons and Dragons too?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I don't know who's buying dungeons in this day and age, no wonder business is bad

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

I feel like that may have more to do with the design team's preferences than corporate cost cutting. The Generations line even up through Siege was, on some level, trying to modernize the designs of the older characters, while Earthrise and Kingdom were basically the progenitors of SS86, with their "animation accuracy above all" design philosophy. Legacy's been continuing that, so even new characters like the Legacy Junkions or the Infernac guys still need to have a bit of that "easy to animate" feeling in order to give the line consistency.

I really like how Thew divided the different eras of CHUG:
  • G1 But Modern (Classics through Generations 2010)
  • G1 But Cool (Thrilling 30 & Prime Wars)
  • G1 But Again (WFC & Legacy)

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Dabir posted:

I don't know who's buying dungeons in this day and age, no wonder business is bad

My eldest kid is big into D&D and has been for a couple of years, the actual play podcast/youtube trend still seems to be paying dividends there. My local gaming cafe ran an introduction session the other week and loads of people turned up for it, I think it's doing ok.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Read that post again 😉

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Dabir posted:

They’re popular in the rich pervert crowd, but there aren’t enough to sustain a business

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Dabir posted:

Read that post again 😉

Ohhhhh.

Yeah fair enough, even Nic Cage has given up his castle buying habit.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Fil5000 posted:

My eldest kid is big into D&D and has been for a couple of years, the actual play podcast/youtube trend still seems to be paying dividends there. My local gaming cafe ran an introduction session the other week and loads of people turned up for it, I think it's doing ok.

Dabir posted:

Read that post again 😉

The joke aside, D&D is big right now. Was talking to the girl at my comic shop and it started with Stranger Things, and then last year it just went into overdrive with the success of the movie (which is awesome if you haven't seen it) and Baldur's Gate 3. It's the time of the Dragon!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Medullah posted:

The joke aside, D&D is big right now. Was talking to the girl at my comic shop and it started with Stranger Things, and then last year it just went into overdrive with the success of the movie (which is awesome if you haven't seen it) and Baldur's Gate 3. It's the time of the Dragon!

The movie is both very good fun AND accurately represents what a game of D&D ends up being like. There's a bunch of scenes that just reminded me of goofy poo poo that my players had done to my carefully laid DM plans, and it just made it funnier.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Fil5000 posted:

The movie is both very good fun AND accurately represents what a game of D&D ends up being like. There's a bunch of scenes that just reminded me of goofy poo poo that my players had done to my carefully laid DM plans, and it just made it funnier.

I saw this post on Reddit and man it's 100% accurate heh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Medullah posted:

It's weird, I never see a lot of discussion about the movie in the spaces I'm in, but I think in 10-15 years or so we're going to find out it was as formative for The Kids These Days as, like, Ghostbusters was for our generation

Silhouette posted:

lmao I just realized that season 1 Megatron's alt mode isn't a tyrannosaurus rex; due to scale, he's a nanotyrannus

IIRC Nanotyrannus was found to be a juvenile tyrannosaur, so if that's the case, he turns into a child. But more reasonably I think he's just a rescaled regular T. rex the way all the bug guys and Rattrap are enormous versions of those.