Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

I found an interesting way to cheese Auntie Ethel but it does mean you don't get to eat her hair. If you have one character enter the Mayrina/Ethel cutscene and a second character enter the basement and hold Ethel's hologram in conversation, a third character upstairs can literally just attack her until she dies

exquisite tea posted:

Yes, Mirkon will die if you don't rescue him before saving the Grove.

What's weird about this is I got the 'save all tieflings' achievement on my very first run without ever knowing he existed. Presumably he doesn't if you just never go near him.

The Wicked ZOGA fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Feb 13, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Mr. Lobe posted:

Wonder if it rerolls sneak attacks. Big if true.

From what I've read it does not

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The kids don’t actually count for the purposes of saving all the Tieflings, they’re on a separate survival die, if you will.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Medullah posted:

From what I've read it does not

Once again the charisma bias in these games is too drat high :argh:

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
Weird-synergy-in-wrong character I have Astarion as a thief equipped with sussur dagger (sneak attacks), Club of hill giant strength (light, can be used as an offhand) and…. Titanstring bow. Dat 19STR titanstring bow sneak attack is not maybe OP but still fun for act 1.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Saraiguma posted:

asi is almost always the correct feat to take unfortunately

The Ability Score Increase feats struck me as a waste unless you were trying to min/max or make up for some weakness a character had in one field.

Does any character in particular get a major boost with an extra point or two in one of their abilities? I can see Lae'zel being a bit more viable as Monk with better DEX, but apart from that, everyone's abilities seem suited to their default class: Karlach and Lae'zel have 17 STR, Gale has 17 INT, Astarion has 17 DEX, Shadowheart has 17 WIS, and Wyll has 17 CHA.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Feb 13, 2024

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Max Wilco posted:

The Ability Score Increase feats struck me as a waste unless you were trying to min/max or make up for some weakness a character had in one field.

Does any character in particular get a major boost with an extra point or two in one of their abilities? I can see Lae'zel being a bit more viable as Monk with better DEX, but apart from that, everyone's abilities seem suited to their default class.

ASI helps everybody because putting points into your mainstat improves your proficiency bonuses, which increase your attack rolls, damage, saves, spell DC, speech checks, pretty much everything. And you can only ever get to 17 base on reroll so at the very least that means one ASI to hit 20 with some of the other very limited ways to permanently increase your ability score in the game, without even mentioning the secondary bonuses you can get from having more DEX, CON etc. Do you always need it? No, but almost every Level 12 character is going to have one Feat in ASI.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

+1 dex can be:

+1 armour
+1 attack
+1 damage
+1 reflex saving throws
+1 initiative
+1 to stealth, sleight of hand and acrobatics

That's pretty good for 1/2 a feat.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Valtonen posted:

Weird-synergy-in-wrong character I have Astarion as a thief equipped with sussur dagger (sneak attacks), Club of hill giant strength (light, can be used as an offhand) and…. Titanstring bow. Dat 19STR titanstring bow sneak attack is not maybe OP but still fun for act 1.

Embrace the weird :getin:

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

I feel there are very few feats that are more useful than ASI, and thats the problem. Each class has usually 1-2 feats that are class-useful (tavern breaker for throwlach, two-weaponizing, or Great weapon master, sharpshot) and then there is… one? universally awesome feat (alert) but other than that anything the feat list offers is likely easier to get by multiclassing a single level. Why would I get moderately armored as a feat when I can just multiclass fighter 1 and get all armors and weapons?

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Black Noise posted:

Embrace the weird :getin:

Its like ork-mork mix of cunning brutality/brutal cunning in one lvl6 package.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Valtonen posted:

I feel there are very few feats that are more useful than ASI, and thats the problem. Each class has usually 1-2 feats that are class-useful (tavern breaker for throwlach, two-weaponizing, or Great weapon master, sharpshot) and then there is… one? universally awesome feat (alert) but other than that anything the feat list offers is likely easier to get by multiclassing a single level. Why would I get moderately armored as a feat when I can just multiclass fighter 1 and get all armors and weapons?

Hah I ALMOST decided to take Moderately Armored and had this exact same thought

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

There are more than a few Feats that could probably stand to be rebalanced to give half an ASI, or boost a less common ability like INT or WIS.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

exquisite tea posted:

ASI helps everybody because putting points into your mainstat improves your proficiency bonuses, which increase your attack rolls, damage, saves, spell DC, speech checks, pretty much everything. And you can only ever get to 17 base on reroll so at the very least that means one ASI to hit 20 with some of the other very limited ways to permanently increase your ability score in the game, without even mentioning the secondary bonuses you can get from having more DEX, CON etc. Do you always need it? No, but almost every Level 12 character is going to have one Feat in ASI.

Ratios and Tendency posted:

+1 dex can be:

+1 armour
+1 attack
+1 damage
+1 reflex saving throws
+1 initiative
+1 to stealth, sleight of hand and acrobatics

That's pretty good for 1/2 a feat.

That does sounds pretty good, and aside from Astarion, everyone else only has a DEX of about 13.

I dunno if I got any permanent stat boosts from anything. I'm going off what I have in my notes, which are probably not up to date with the progress I've made.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Valtonen posted:

There's also a lot of feats that are unique, but so narrow that they're not worth it.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I'm debating abandoning my durge run we're going back to a save from 20 hours ago because I forgot to talk to the group that Rolan leads.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

He’s a little confused but he got spirit. I’d do it. But maybe you have infinite time to explore all outcomes.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

exquisite tea posted:

There are more than a few Feats that could probably stand to be rebalanced to give half an ASI, or boost a less common ability like INT or WIS.

I just installed a mod that gives me full asi on any feat bc I like having shiny buttons

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Valtonen posted:

The club of hill giant strength and titanstring bow is a legit combo that you can run with for quite a long time, if you want to run with something other dual hand crossbow sword bard.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

After I wrap up my first playthrough, I’m gonna do a run where I leave the companions as their default subclasses the whole game. I’ll be the first person in the world to level an arcane trickster to 12.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Nah, I've done it it's fine.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Max Wilco posted:

Does any character in particular get a major boost with an extra point or two in one of their abilities? I can see Lae'zel being a bit more viable as Monk with better DEX, but apart from that, everyone's abilities seem suited to their default class: Karlach and Lae'zel have 17 STR, Gale has 17 INT, Astarion has 17 DEX, Shadowheart has 17 WIS, and Wyll has 17 CHA.

+1 modifier is a +1 to almost everything that character does. It's maybe downplayed a little in BG3 because you can easily get your hands on a magic weapon that makes up for it, but boosting a fighter's strength boosts their damage on every hit and their odds of hitting, boosting a caster's spellcasting ability increases their spell attack roll and spell save DC (and for many also boosts damage). Since many characters start with a 17 in their primary stat a half feat is usually a good idea, but a dedicated ASI increase to go from 18 to 20 is a sound move.

The problem is 5e DnD originally made feats optional, and assumes that you're taking ASIs as a baseline from point-buy, but feats are cool and fun. Taking a feat though means falling behind the power curve a little bit unless the feat opens up some capability that makes up for it.

Morrow fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Feb 13, 2024

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Nah, I've done it it's fine.

No proof.

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

Max Wilco posted:

So after saved Roland in Act 2, I've made it to Level 8, and have access to another feat for most of the party. I have to see if I can find that post someone made highlight which perks to take/avoid, but I know last time, I took Durable with most of the party, save for Lae'zel (I think because I gave her Tavern Brawler on account of respeccing her into a monk).

This time, I was thinking about giving everyone Tough, since it seems to boost your HP substantially (reloading from before picking the perk, it looks like Karlach went from 60HP to around 90, but I have to double-check).

The exception was Wyll, who's multi-classed into a Warlock/Bard, but on this level up, I can pick a Bard subclass, so I'm wondering which I should go with.

If you are asking what the best feat is, there is no question that it is Alert. If you take that feat on a character, that character will almost always act before the enemy and will never be surprised. If that character has 14 or higher dexterity, it it will go first in every encounter in the game.

There are feats that will maximize your damage or give you defenses or other really neat stuff, but going first in every combat is much better than any of those things and it's not even close.

You may be thinking, "but this feat is going to add +2 to my chance to hit and +10 damage, why is that not better?" The answer is that if all of your characters get to act before the enemies, those bonuses are overkill; you don't need them to wipe every enemy in your first turn or, at the very least, to set your characters up to win the combat in a turn or two more just by using spacing and crowd control spells.

It would be a decent feat to take if they used a D20 for initiative, but as things stand, it's completely overpowered. I took it on four characters in my run, basically everyone in my "standard" party except Shadowheart, and she was usually high up in the initiative order because she had a magically-enhanced dexterity of 18.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I do think Alert is overpowered. There's a case to be made that you might want one or two characters to go later in combat order so as to react to what the enemy does, but having 4 characters with alert and just deleting enemies before they even get a chance to do much is pretty damned effective.

I think having a more balanced turn order would be more ideal if the game was harder but it's not.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

rojay posted:

If that character has 14 or higher dexterity, it it will go first in every encounter in the game.

Dolor :colbert:

you need DEX 20 to go before him, with luck you can prevent him from Dash and Dining

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I don’t think you need alert on a character with dex as their main stat. Honestly you probably don’t even need it on a character with 16 dex. There are also several items that give you an initiative bonus.

Honestly I’d struggle with the idea of taking it on a character that isn’t getting 3 feats. You want 1-2 characters who reliably get to go first but sometimes it can also be helpful to also have 1-2 that consistently go late in the turn order, especially given that you can’t defer your turn in this game.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

alert wouldn’t be such a gamechanger if Initiative were rolled on d20 like standard d&d instead of d4.

i actually like the d4 initiative from a tabletop perspective - slightly easier to calculate, creates a less swingy curve of results - but it’s clear that Alert’s +5 init bonus was build for a d20 curve, and that a +2 bonus might be more reasonable for d4

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

oh, have I got some GREAT news for you!

exquisite tea posted:

There’s a path to reach Level 4 purely through dialogue, all you need is the ability to disguise yourself and pass a few light speech checks. A lot of people doing their HM solo runs do this first as setup.

This sounds like fun, any suggestions for guides in text or video form?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2O_Gmm7ht4

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Max Wilco posted:

I can see Lae'zel being a bit more viable as Monk with better DEX, but apart from that, everyone's abilities seem suited to their default class: Karlach and Lae'zel have 17 STR, Gale has 17 INT, Astarion has 17 DEX, Shadowheart has 17 WIS, and Wyll has 17 CHA.

You know respeccing at Withers allows you to tweak their ability scores right

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
im always respeccing Karlach to Rogue because her sneaking barks are the funniest

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Playing a rogue I do wish there was some sort of hold your turn option sometimes.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Recently finished off the encounter with Ethel in Act 1 and tried to save the mind controlled paladins this time around. There's a lot of conflicting information out there from the early access days - what should I do?

I knocked them all out, went to take out the hag and then returned to remove their masks. I couldn't find a way to wake them up at this point (healing didn't wake them and the revive action specifies that it can only be used on allies). I returned after a long rest and they were awake but still hostile, despite not wearing the masks.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Very glad that I somehow lucked into blindly doing all of these time sensitive things because I had two bards and never needed to long rest that often but at the same time it's annoying to know I missed a fuckton of camp scenes due to it being tied to repeated long resting which makes no sense when you're supposed to urgently want this tadpole out of your brain

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

Recently finished off the encounter with Ethel in Act 1 and tried to save the mind controlled paladins this time around. There's a lot of conflicting information out there from the early access days - what should I do?

I knocked them all out, went to take out the hag and then returned to remove their masks. I couldn't find a way to wake them up at this point (healing didn't wake them and the revive action specifies that it can only be used on allies). I returned after a long rest and they were awake but still hostile, despite not wearing the masks.

You could try returning to them with a lone character who wasn't involved in hitting them but I don't know if that would work. I also heard managing to take their masks and still talk to them doesn't actually change their dialogue but idk if that's true either. very useful post

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

You could try returning to them with a lone character who wasn't involved in hitting them but I don't know if that would work. I also heard managing to take their masks and still talk to them doesn't actually change their dialogue but idk if that's true either. very useful post

I bought the digital $10 upgrade literally just to support Larian but the shapeshift mask in comes with has been huge for Speaking to the Dead when "They don't want to talk to their killer". Change into a race friendly to them and boom "Hey, you're not my killer! Sure you're wearing the same armor and voice, but you're definitely not them!"

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

Did you actually kill Ethel or let her go

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Goa Tse-tung posted:

im always respeccing Karlach to Rogue because her sneaking barks are the funniest

Channel my inner halfling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Beasteh posted:

Very glad that I somehow lucked into blindly doing all of these time sensitive things because I had two bards and never needed to long rest that often but at the same time it's annoying to know I missed a fuckton of camp scenes due to it being tied to repeated long resting which makes no sense when you're supposed to urgently want this tadpole out of your brain

Literally everybody is like “gosh, we/you should have turned into mind flayers by now, something is different” and there aren’t any negative symptoms.

I get it being an issue if you have two bards though. I’ve gotten all the events resting every 3-4 encounters but I can see missing events being an issue if you’re doing like 6 fights per day or something, that would do a completionist clear of the starting area and dungeons in 3 days.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Feb 13, 2024