Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

davecrazy posted:

I’ve been traveling all day for work so have not been around social media that much. Apparently now Travis Kelce is a domestic abuser because he bumped into Andy Reid on the sideline?

It was a bad look but of course way overblown. What Travis was yelling about was correct. Everyone saying he's roid raging has never played football well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

davecrazy posted:

I’ve been traveling all day for work so have not been around social media that much. Apparently now Travis Kelce is a domestic abuser because he bumped into Andy Reid on the sideline?

that’s just some alt right dude’s acct Pay It No Heed

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

davecrazy posted:

quote:

So I heard about Travis Kelce assaulting Andy Reid on life television, but didn't watch it until now, because I knew it would upset me.

Holy poo poo it's even worse than I thought. What the gently caress is wrong with that guy? Andy Reid is, like, the best friend to multiple generations of children. In the Chiefs universe, ANDY REID IS A COACH, who is currently putting mental health and caring for others in the spotlight.

And Travis loving Kelce ... did ... that? And thought it was going to be ... funny? What?

What an rear end in a top hat. What a stupid, self-centered, tone deaf rear end in a top hat.

Full disclosure: all the time, when I was growing up, my dad would grab me by the shoulders and shake me while he screamed in my face. He choked me more than once. He was always out of control, always in a furious rage, and always terrifying. I'm a 51 year-old man and my heart is pounding right now, recalling how I felt when I was a little boy who loved Gunther Cunningham the way today's kids love Andy Reid.

So this appalling, unforgivable, despicable act hits more than one raw nerve for me, and I'm going to say what I wish I'd been able to say when this sort of thing happened to me.

Travis Kelce, this was not okay, and your obviously insincere "apology" clearly communicates that you don't get that.

First of all, you aren't even in the segment, but you just decided to barge in and draw focus because ... why? You couldn't stand that a coach brought people together in a meaningful way that you can't? You couldn't stand that your appearance on national television to promote your wildly successful series was delayed for a few seconds while the adults talked about mental health? You wanted to manufacture a viral moment where everyone gets to see what an rear end in a top hat you are, so they'll tune in and watch you portray an rear end in a top hat in the last season of your show that celebrates how great it is to be an rear end in a top hat without ever experiencing the consequences of being an rear end in a top hat?

I really want to know what raced through his tiny little mind, and why there was no voice or person who spoke up to stop him from expressing violence towards a coach WHO WAS THERE TO TALK ABOUT HOW HIS LOVE AND EMPATHY FOR PEOPLE HAVING A TOUGH TIME MATTERED AND MADE A DIFFERENCE.

Andy Reid and his dad were there to talk about empathy, love, kindness, and caring for each other.

Travis Kelce was there to promote the final (thank god, maybe he'll go away now) season of a television series.

Like, read the room, dickhead. It isn't always about you being the center of attention. And understand what's happening in the moment, fucko. Understand that there are larger things in the world than you and your garbage ego.

You know who is watching the Today show with their parents? Kids who also watch Football. Andy Reid is an avatar for children all over the world. Children who are too small to understand Andy Reid is a coach will know that a man attacked someone they love for no reason, and that will frighten and confuse them.

Andy Reid inspired a deeply meaningful and important moment of collective support among disparate people who have been struggling through the traumas of a pandemic, daily mass shootings, the rise of fascism and everything associated with Trump's violence and cruelty.

And lovely idiot Travis Kelce couldn't leave it alone, for some reason. He had to indirectly tell everyone who opened their hearts to a coach that they were stupid, and he thought it was a good joke to physically attack and choke this character who is beloved by children and adults alike. You know what that tells impressionable young people about sharing their feelings?

Travis Kelce strikes me as a person who mocks and belittles people who are vulnerable and sensitive, and enjoys being cruel, because he feels untouchable. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's who I see whenever I can't find the remote and he's on my television.

By contrast, Andy Reid and the coaches teach and model to children all over the world that kindness and empathy aren't weak or stupid or any of the things people like Travis Kelce and my dad think they are. Andy Reid and the coaches teach children to be gentle and kind, to celebrate our different cultures and to embrace all of our complicated feelings. Andy Reid and the coaches offer comfort and friendship and support to a world that is starving for it.

I hope that, when the dust settles, Travis Kelce’s appalling behavior will be a footnote to a larger story about how, for just one day, a coach made a difference and helped millions of people who are struggling to feel a little less alone. With one question, Andy Reid got lots and lots of people speaking openly and honestly about their mental health. A nontrivial number of people who none of us will ever know were inspired by it, and that was the last little nudge they needed to make the call or send the email to being healing. Andy Reid probably saved lives and relationships by opening that conversation.

A man who would belittle and mock that isn't much of a man at all. Shame on you, Travis Kelce.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

My buddy is at Disneyland today and sent me this

https://imgur.com/mEk4ihS

dude has to be like holy poo poo it's bright I should not have had that 13th shot in honor of Taylor last night

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

post hole digger posted:

The only thing about the third possession argument is, if thats what you believe (that KC is going to score a TD), why wouldnt you go for it on 4th down?

I don’t think SF believed KC would score a touchdown. And if they didn’t, SF just needed to kick a field goal twice to win.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
he did do elder abuse. And that's not ok

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

holy poo poo lmfao

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

tbh though it was kind of lame that he didn’t apologize right away and McKinnon had to come grab him. Andy is 65, yell at him all you want but cmon man

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

indigi posted:

he did do elder abuse. And that's not ok

elder abuse

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

Radia posted:

holy poo poo lmfao

wil wheaton's elmo rant was so great

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

playing for the third possession only makes sense if you are convinced the first two will be FG-FG

which is an insane thing to gamble on

nopants
May 29, 2004

davecrazy posted:

the cycle of violence continued when andy assaulted chris jones on the ground after the game was over

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Through the Run, all things are possible.

Shanahan is a Run Apostate for abandoning it.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

If it wasn't the playoffs I wonder if kelce takes a seat the rest of the game. Dude's a shithead.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

SilvergunSuperman posted:

If it wasn't the playoffs I wonder if kelce takes a seat the rest of the game. Dude's a shithead.

lol no of course not

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

playing for the third possession only makes sense if you are convinced the first two will be FG-FG

which is an insane thing to gamble on

It's not like the Chiefs were doing a whole lot of scoring touchdowns.

I've come around to seeing this as a sane bet after thinking about it. Ideally you score your own TD of course. If you do even if the Chiefs score theirs after that and go for two that's one play that you have a chance to stop, if they don't go for two you only need to move the ball so far to have a chance.

And if you get dueling field goals that's also in your favor as long as Moody doesn't malfunction.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

Reid says he would have kicked, end of debate, it's obviously the right call. Also the thing about the players not knowing the OT rules is you start to suspect there's other little things overlooked for other rare situations. It just tells you the Chiefs were better prepared, but Hardman didn't know the game was over, so...

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

There isn't a whole lot going on upstairs with Hardman in general. I followed him on social media for a while. Mostly his content consisted of various places he likes to nap and his Hellcat.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Grittybeard posted:

Shutting down Kittle and a hobbled in multiple ways Deebo was super important from the Chiefs perspective. The 49ers screen game did have some success but you can only pull that out of the bag so often before the defense realizes what you're doing (well if the D is any good, and the Chiefs D was pretty good this year).

Good points. This seems like one of the advantages of being able to play man- yeah if the QB has time you may still be able to get open but when there's pressure and no open space in a zone for a player to run into/sit down in and the defender is on your hip, what do you do.

Grittybeard posted:

So your offense turns into solely CMC, Aiyuk, and oddly missed MVP opportunity Jauan Jennings. That makes things a lot easier to deal with for the defense. The 49ers have so many weapons and with two of them pretty much taken out of the game that puts Purdy under a lot more pressure while he was enduring a lot of pressure. Bless fullbacks but Juszczyk can only scare you so much.

It's too bad that the Niners couldn't hit one of the longer passes they attempted early on, which might have been able to loosen up the D a bit- seems like KC had no fear of the long ball.

Grittybeard posted:

I can't speak to what they could have done to overcome this, maybe rolling the pocket more often would have helped. Or maybe it just gets Purdy lit up if you do it at the wrong time, the Chiefs do a lot of corner blitzes normally although I don't think they did a ton last night. I don't know, it was just a rough night for that offense.

Yeah, who knows. It would be interesting to know exactly what went into the game plan on both O and D. I'd guess that Shanahan could come up with plays after the fact that might have had a better chance of working, which goes back to contingency planning, but I get that there are only so many plays you can get the team ready to run. It must be a pretty bad feeling as a coach to look down at your call sheet and know you don't have other plays at your disposal.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTULEbKDHqw

So much to love, his little kicky legs, the woman wiping it after just :discourse:

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Fat Jesus posted:

Reid says he would have kicked, end of debate, it's obviously the right call. Also the thing about the players not knowing the OT rules is you start to suspect there's other little things overlooked for other rare situations. It just tells you the Chiefs were better prepared, but Hardman didn't know the game was over, so...

The only thing the players really needed to understand is "The game clock isn't real for the next 28+ minutes. Each team gets a possession."

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTULEbKDHqw

So much to love, his little kicky legs, the woman wiping it after just :discourse:

Is that his own TV? He seems to be yelling at the other guy to leave his house at the end.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Shrimpy posted:

The only thing the players really needed to understand is "The game clock isn't real for the next 28+ minutes. Each team gets a possession."

but from the interviews at least some of them didn’t understand that

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

kiimo posted:

There isn't a whole lot going on upstairs with Hardman in general. I followed him on social media for a while. Mostly his content consisted of various places he likes to nap and his Hellcat.

one of us

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

Shrimpy posted:

that's a great start, and furthermore, boys, if they score a FG, we need to..

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

https://x.com/JeffreyKleintop/status/1757181684158488955?s=20

i'm here for the puns

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

I am returner. Ball is about to go out pinning us on the 1 yard line. Should i catch ball with foot outside this line or that one, I forget

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

That would be a big power move by a coach, and one that would get you blasted by the entire sports-entertainment news media if you lost the game.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Grozz Nuy posted:

The narratives about Shanahan are so stupid, he has an insanely good playoff record for a head coach that has never had an elite QB. You can say that the roster is stacked, but it's as good as it is in large part because he's so good at evaluating and developing players. Sometimes you just don't get the bounces.

OTOH he's 0-3 as a coach in SB appearances. 3x is a trend, not a fluke. He's Kirk Cousins

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Fat Jesus posted:

Also the thing about the players not knowing the OT rules is you start to suspect there's other little things overlooked for other rare situations. It just tells you the Chiefs were better prepared, but Hardman didn't know the game was over, so...

The fact that the 49ers had multiple missed blocking assignments on the line they lead to rushers getting a free shot at Purdy tells me way more about their level of preparation than the fullback not knowing the new, playoff only, OT rules.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Canned Sunshine posted:

I mean, Kansas at least voted down the abortion amendment and has a Dem governor, so gotta give them that?

And I'm not a 49ers fan so I'm not coping so much as just tired of seeing KC fans have happiness and success. Eat poo poo for awhile and then come back more humble, shitbag.

Yeah, they went 5 decades between championships, and finally have a god mode QB. This post is weird

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

kiimo posted:

Butker had a nutso year.

Spongebob and Patrick were giving special teams the respect it deserves.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

D-LINK posted:

OTOH he's 0-3 as a coach in SB appearances. 3x is a trend, not a fluke. He's Kirk Cousins

how many teams get to the superbowl in any given year

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Radia posted:

By getting to two superbowls in five years and losing both he’s simply proven that he’s reached his ceiling, unlike all of those other coaches who can’t get there at all and thus have unlimited untapped potential.

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Feb 13, 2024

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

YOLOsubmarine posted:

By getting to two superbowls in five years and losing both he’s simply proven that he’s reached his cieling, unlike all of those other coaches who can’t get there at all and thus have unlimited untapped potential.

:hmmyes:

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Radia posted:

You make a fine point. Yet, I'd rather my team not be in the Super Bowl than lose, let alone 3 consecutive appearances (I know Shanahan was only HC for 2. His 3rd loss is 28-3). It's cool conundrum: go to the SB and lose every time, but enjoy the loss? Or have to find a coach that can win when given multiple opportunities?

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

indigi posted:

but from the interviews at least some of them didn’t understand that

Players not understanding OT rules is a tale as old as time

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

D-LINK posted:

Or have to find a coach that can win when given multiple opportunities?

How many coaches get multiple opportunities? How many coaches get multiple opportunities with multiple QBs, none of whom are superstars?

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

YOLOsubmarine posted:

How many coaches get multiple opportunities? How many coaches get multiple opportunities with multiple QBs, none of whom are superstars?

This is another fine point. Bud Grant, Bill Levy, Tom Landry, Belichik, and Kyle are the only ones who have survived 3 losses. Landry is the one who somehow won a couple, and Bill has 8 rings to go with his 3 losses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

kiimo posted:

Relatable