Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

bedpan posted:

75% or more of the recent NATO conference was talking about future wars with China, a country that does not border the Atlantic ocean

They want to send in the gunboats to force China to accept NATO opium imports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

He's right

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

my bony fealty posted:

Let's make this thread a covid thread too

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Officer Sandvich posted:

It has been depressing reading this thread lately.

Without dwelling on the (numerous) mistakes of the past, optimistically*, what's the consensus on how long it will take for Ukraine to regain all territory it has lost?

* Assuming Trump doesn't get reelected and NATO steps up its' game.

It's not getting anything back and will continue to slowly lose ground. Perhaps until a collapse. Hungary and Poland will do land grabs.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
You can't run a competitive or even a particularly functional economy on the backs of slave labor. The American industrialists of the 18th century understood this, their idiot coked up failson descendants do not. Or at the very least they were smart enough to keep the JP Morgans of their day on a somewhat tight leash.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
their failsons think you can run a country on no labor

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024
I do tend to think that liberals and the failson class doesn't understand that slavery has a lot to do with labour, I feel like they approach it from a cultural perspective of race and superiority rather than one of production

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Flournival Dixon posted:

I do tend to think that liberals and the failson class doesn't understand that slavery has a lot to do with labour, I feel like they approach it from a cultural perspective of race and superiority rather than one of production

Entirely, yeah.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Sapozhnik posted:

You can't run a competitive or even a particularly functional economy on the backs of slave labor. The American industrialists of the 18th century understood this, their idiot coked up failson descendants do not. Or at the very least they were smart enough to keep the JP Morgans of their day on a somewhat tight leash.

Different forms of labour require different forms of discipline. Slavery is absolutely the most profitable form of labour when it's dangerous, high intensity and doesn't require mobility or education.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/wrkclasshistory/status/1756749973905904044?t=6wCwL2Mc93g7FUaIUBX3pQ&s=19

"Working Class History"

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
workers transported those goods.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

Enjoy posted:

Different forms of labour require different forms of discipline. Slavery is absolutely the most profitable form of labour when it's dangerous, high intensity and doesn't require mobility or education.

Not gonna help when educated and decently treated free men/women in China can produce twice as much for half the cost using carefully built infrastructure, technology and a state that isn't comfortable instantly at war with it's own people to make sure it all works right.

Edit: Expanding slavery beyond it's current bounds in the west would in many ways represent a sort of economic transition I don't think the rich could pull off without jettisoning a large portion of their current class. Like however many rich can be materially supported at the moment I think it'd be a lot less if they actually ripped poo poo that far apart and their margin is would shrink massively, with literally zero runway since they'd already have it all to start with. Like if anything enslaving the US population at any amount high enough to matter would probably finish them off faster than just pretending everything is okay.

thechosenone has issued a correction as of 02:40 on Feb 13, 2024

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
trading with the resource hungry expansionist neighbor with a mobilized army like a collaborator

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
for like a year

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

There should be a graph for the total trade that the Soviets did with Nazi Germany compared to France, UK, and the US.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

VoicesCanBe posted:

https://twitter.com/DefMon3/status/1756967999460839633

This guy turned realist all of a sudden, I guess the Zaluzhny firing was a serious wake up call.

He even correctly identifies the problem in his bio, that Ukraine needs manpower and ammunition before anything else. Of course, he fails to understand that neither of these problems are fixable for Ukraine, certainly not in the short term and probably not long term either.

Yeah, all that "ork" and "goat fucker" poo poo he loved to post mysteriously gone...

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

BearsBearsBears posted:

There should be a graph for the total trade that the Soviets did with Nazi Germany compared to France, UK, and the US.

weren't the Soviets also kind of pigeon holed into trading with the Nazis on account of being economically isolated by all the capitalist countries?

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Flournival Dixon posted:

why come i cant just comprehend the totality of human economic and political interaction all at once? it would be so much easier!

skill issue

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Starsfan posted:

weren't the Soviets also kind of pigeon holed into trading with the Nazis on account of being economically isolated by all the capitalist countries?
They should have stoically impoverished themselves, the way Germany is doing now.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

BearsBearsBears posted:

France and the UK went to war with Germany at the same time as the Hitler-Stalin pact

RedSky
Oct 30, 2023
Realpolitik sucks huh

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

RedSky posted:

Realpolitik sucks huh

Yes, it killed many people by extending the war for years

RedSky
Oct 30, 2023
Which war?

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

RedSky posted:

Which war?

WW2

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

stephenthinkpad posted:

China dodged a huge bullet just around time when W and the deep state was setting up the condition to increase confrontation with China, 911 happened. In the year before 2001 there was the plane collide incident and increasingly more US spy planes flying right outside of the China airspace.

There is no telling whether 911 would have happened if the Soviet was still intact. 911 got a pretty high black swan rating.

Not to you in particular but how does this jibe with Bush doing 9/11?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Enjoy posted:

Lol this is a bit right

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

Not to you in particular but how does this jibe with Bush doing 9/11?

Not sure what you mean by Bush doing 911. He was just part of the hawks that thought it was a golden opportunity to do a couple rounds of crusade on ME.

I am of the opinion that ME has suffered way more imperial attacks than other regions because of the religious history and physical proximity to the Western core.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Enjoy posted:

Huh?

idg the bit

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

stephenthinkpad posted:

Not sure what you mean by Bush doing 911. He was just part of the hawks that thought it was a golden opportunity to do a couple rounds of crusade on ME.

I am of the opinion that ME has suffered way more imperial attacks than other regions because of the religious history and physical proximity to the Western core.

Yeah Bush did do 9/11 though, like forreal forreal

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I’m firmly in the let it happen camp, I don’t think they needed to make it happen.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Europe has stated it requires 10 years to rebuild it's weapons stockpile. Putin will give you three to four, and then he'll invade.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Kaliningrad Governor Blames Immanuel Kant for Ukraine War

quote:

The governor of western Russia's Kaliningrad region blamed the 18th-century German enlightenment philosopher Immanuel Kant for the outbreak of war in Ukraine.

“He is directly related to the military conflict in Ukraine,” Anton Alikhanov, who governs the western exclave of Kaliningrad, said Friday at a local political science forum.

According to the regional news outlet FederalPress, Alikhanov attributed “the global chaos, the global realignment that we are now facing” to the influential thinker.

Alikhanov claimed that Kant’s works have contributed to a “social and cultural situation” in which “the West has violated all agreements that had been reached.”

Russian President Vladimir Putin, who ordered troops to invade Ukraine nearly two years ago, often frames the war as part of a larger conflict with the West.

Kant lived in the East Prussian city of Koenigsberg between 1724 and 1804.

Koenigsberg became the Russian city of Kaliningrad after the Soviet army captured it during World War II, and this philosopher's tomb is located there to this day.

Kant is a central figure of modern philosophy and is still widely well-regarded in modern-day Kaliningrad.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

I’m firmly in the let it happen camp, I don’t think they needed to make it happen.

Bandar Bush's wife, who is the sister of the former head of the Saudi GIP who resigned 10 days before 9/11, is implicated fairly solidly in funding some of the hijackers, just one example of how the line between "did it" and "let it happen" is blurry enough to be meaningless. Make this the 9/11, covid, and Ukraine thread.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

my bony fealty posted:

Bandar Bush's wife, who is the sister of the former head of the Saudi GIP who resigned 10 days before 9/11, is implicated fairly solidly in funding some of the hijackers, just one example of how the line between "did it" and "let it happen" is blurry enough to be meaningless. Make this the 9/11, covid, and Ukraine thread.

Peter Daszak, who headed BioHealth Alliance in experimenting with coronaviruses in Wuhan, is of Ukrainian descent. His father was Bogdan Daszak, who was at the very least a Nazi sympathizer if not collaborator.

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

Enjoy posted:

France and the UK went to war with Germany at the same time as the Hitler-Stalin pact

Sure but they traded with the Nazis for years before that.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

BearsBearsBears posted:

Sure but they traded with the Nazis for years before that.

What's your point

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

Enjoy posted:

What's your point

It would be nice to have a graph or something that accurately compares how much the Soviets traded with the Nazis compared to how much the imperial powers did.

RedSky
Oct 30, 2023

Enjoy posted:

What's your point

I think more so, what is your point?

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

Peter Daszak, who headed BioHealth Alliance in experimenting with coronaviruses in Wuhan, is of Ukrainian descent. His father was Bogdan Daszak, who was at the very least a Nazi sympathizer if not collaborator.

Covid - a Ukranian bio weapon? Could be.

If you want to go insane, read this, has plenty of Ukraine-related goodies.

https://web.archive.org/web/20180505140659/https://www.lobster-magazine.co.uk/articles/global-drug.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Train ftw.