Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
IM HOOTIN

IM HOLLERIN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
He's Sanderlanching :allears:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
IM DOUBLE HOOTIN DOUBLE HOLLERIN. (on the final non-epilogue chapter)

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Mordiceius posted:

IM DOUBLE HOOTIN DOUBLE HOLLERIN. (on the final non-epilogue chapter)
I bet the epilogue has another hoot for you

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
There is a revision in the end of WoR chapter 86, and I know that my PC kindle edition still has the error. Relevant is Chapter 86 and 88 and they're all short bits. I wonder how it is in the audio book.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

M_Gargantua posted:

There is a revision in the end of WoR chapter 86, and I know that my PC kindle edition still has the error. Relevant is Chapter 86 and 88 and they're all short bits. I wonder how it is in the audio book.

What's the revision?

its HIM
Oct 22, 2013
WoR spoilers, obviously:

https://www.brandonsanderson.com/three-stories-in-new-formats/

https://www.17thshard.com/forums/topic/23702-brandon-tweaking-words-of-radiance/#comment-235882

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Based off the comparison in the second link, the audiobook is the original version. The fight between Kaladin and Szeth confirms this. In the audiobook, Kaladin definitely kills Szeth.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Brandon Sanderson posted:

So, in Words of Radiance, I think the scene I worked on the longest both in my head and on the page was the final confrontation between Kaladin and Szeth.

There was something I wanted to do, and took a stab at it in the text, then backed off because I couldn’t make it work. It was important to me that Kaladin refuse to kill Szeth at the end. Kaladin is about protection, not vengeance, and once he realized that Szeth really just wanted to be killed, I wanted Kaladin to hesitate.

It didn’t end up working, and I moved on to a new version and submitted it. But this itched at me, and by the time the book was released, I felt I’d made the wrong choice for that scene. So I’ve taken this chance to roll it back to the previous idea, and written it in a new way, which I like much better.

The events are the same, except for that moment. Szeth is now killed by the storm instead of by Kaladin, which I think is more thematically appropriate.

So in that part Rather than through the neck Kaladin chops the wrist of his sword arm, and Szeth is then swallowed by the storm as he falls with his fate unknown.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

M_Gargantua posted:

So in that part Rather than through the neck Kaladin chops the wrist of his sword arm, and Szeth is then swallowed by the storm as he falls with his fate unknown.

Something else is different too:

Nale talks about using Surgebinding and specifically mentions Regrowth, instead of mentioning using a Fabrial

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Mine is the old version too, then. How about that.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Words of Radiance - Part 5

It is done. NOW WHAT IS HOW YOU FUKIN END A BOOK!!!

I don't think there was a moment of this that I didn't like. From the interludes I-12 to I-14 through the Epilogue. It was all good. Not a single complaint from me. This entire part from front to back felt like the most anime poo poo I've ever ever experienced outside of actual anime.

I'll try (and likely fail) to be brief with my thoughts and assessments.

- The interludes were great. The Lhan interlude was fun and unexpected. I was slightly dreading the Taravangian interlude when I saw it was an hour long, but ended up completely loving it. He's such a great villain and I can't wait to see where he goes. Even before the ending of TWoK, I was slightly spoiled on the fact that Taravangian is a villain due to catching a clip of Brandon talking about his favorite villains that he's written and him mentioning Taravangian. The intelligence/compassion changes he goes through are such a fun and interesting mechanic.

- I loved the Epigraphs. The stuff from the Diagram felt so... cold and calculating, especially when read by Michael Kramer. The epigraph with endless numbers took nearly a minute and a half for him to read. Absolutely chilling.

- The first thing that had me hootin and hollerin was Dalinar exposing Amaram. "I believe an apology is due." is such an incredible moment. Dalinar solidifies himself as both a gigachad and the best character Brandon has ever created.

- Rlain's return was great. I had completely forgotten about him. I'm curious to see what role he plays in things going forward. If the Everstorm is going to start forcefully transforming Listeners, is he in danger?

- I was so loving glad when Shallan finally revealed her nature to Dalinar. it only took 100 hours of audiobook but finally their secrets are out in the open.

- I genuinely though Moash was going to kill Elhokar and that would trigger Kaladin to regain his powers. I'm almost certain that Elhokar will die at some point, but by the end of WoR, I feel like Elhokar has moved past any place of relevance.

- Roion's death to Szeth was brutal. Sickeningly so.

- The whole fight between the Alethi forces and the Listeners set to the backdrop of two massive stormwalls was :discourse:. I feel like it would be something Hideo Kojima would love.

- As soon as Shallan found the circular plateau, I knew that the entire plateau was the gate. I loved every moment of it. The main teleportation chamber reminded me a bit of the Bifrost room in 2018's God of War.

- The entire battle between Kaladin and Szeth was perfect. Felt like a Dragon Ball Z fight in book form. And when Szeth went zooming toward the plateau and found it empty. You know that got a hoot and a holler out of me.

- Urithiru sounds incredible. I'm half tempted to start looking up art of it, but will probably avoid doing so for sake of avoiding spoilers.

- WHY DOES NALE HAVE NIGHTBLOOD?! Okay, actually, I do have a single complaint. I don't like Michael Kramer's Nightblood voice. In the Graphic Audio adaptation of Warbreaker, Nightblood has the voice of an unhinged demon that thirsts to destroy evil. Michael Kramer voices him like a distinguished British butler that is about to ask you if you would like some tea.

- The best moment of the entire book? Adolin and Sadeas. I just love Adolin basically going "Oh gently caress this" and just solving that problem with efficiency. No drama. No fanfare. Simple. Effective. Brutal.

- I knew Jasnah wasn't dead. (Doesn't help that she's on the cover of Oathbringer).

Welp. That was a whole lot of me gushing. Not much speculation or anything else to say. I think that's a good thing?

I'll probably take a few days off from audiobooks and then move on to Edgedancer later this week or sometime next week.

quote:

CURRENT SANDERSON RANKINGS -

The Final Empire
The Hero of Ages
Words of Radiance
The Lost Metal
Shadows of Self
Warbreaker
Mistborn - Secret History
The Bands of Mourning
The Way of Kings
The Alloy of Law
The Emperor’s Soul
The Well of Ascension
----------The Line of Recommendation----------
Elantris
Allomancer Jak and the Pits of Eltania
The Eleventh Metal
The Hope of Elantris

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

(Words of Radiance full) I know you've been excited for Shallan to reveal her powers to Dalinar, but did you just gloss over Dalinar bonding the Stormfather, and Renarin announcing his Radiantness as well? There was a lot going on but I'm surprised you didn't mention them.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

pik_d posted:

(Words of Radiance full) I know you've been excited for Shallan to reveal her powers to Dalinar, but did you just gloss over Dalinar bonding the Stormfather, and Renarin announcing his Radiantness as well? There was a lot going on but I'm surprised you didn't mention them.

Haha yeah!!!

Dalinar further proves his status as gigachad by forcing the Stormfather to bend to his will. Renarin, honestly, I could have used just a slight bit more with. It was clear from his moment in the portal room that he was a radiant, but at the end it felt very like "oh yeah me too. OKAY BOOK OVER."

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
If you thought Words of Radiance was excellent then strap the gently caress in for Oathbringer because hoots and hollers won’t be enough

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Louisgod posted:

hoots and hollers won’t be enough

The series is loooooooong, but the highs are so high.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot

Grundulum posted:

The series is loooooooong, but the highs are so high.

I'm only on the first book, but we got six more to go. I hope we all strapped in.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

A Sneaker Broker posted:

I'm only on the first book, but we got six more to go. I hope we all strapped in.

I don't know how you've come up with the count of six (I guess seven) but you're way short.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

pik_d posted:

I don't know how you've come up with the count of six (I guess seven) but you're way short.

4 Books in Stormlight (So Far)

6 more to go.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

One thing I don't really understand about WoR - Shallan's mother thought she was a voidbringer and tried to kill her, right? Who was the guy with her mother? Was her mother actually having an affair? That whole interaction is a little cloudy to me.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."

Mordiceius posted:

One thing I don't really understand about WoR - Shallan's mother thought she was a voidbringer and tried to kill her, right? Who was the guy with her mother? Was her mother actually having an affair? That whole interaction is a little cloudy to me.

This series is so gooooood.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Mordiceius posted:

It’s pretty cloudy to the viewpoint character also, if I recall correctly. I was certainly in the same place you are when I read that part of the book.

its HIM
Oct 22, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

Words of Radiance - Part 5

Okay, actually, I do have a single complaint. I don't like Michael Kramer's Nightblood voice. In the Graphic Audio adaptation of Warbreaker, Nightblood has the voice of an unhinged demon that thirsts to destroy evil. Michael Kramer voices him like a distinguished British butler that is about to ask you if you would like some tea.

I have the same complaint about The Lopen. The Hispanic accent used in GA is clearly the right way to go.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

its HIM posted:

I have the same complaint about The Lopen. The Hispanic accent used in GA is clearly the right way to go.

For Lopen, he does the same voice he does for Wayne. So that's pretty amusing.

Grundulum posted:

It’s pretty cloudy to the viewpoint character also, if I recall correctly. I was certainly in the same place you are when I read that part of the book.

Okay. Good to know I didn't miss something. That's one of the problems with an audiobook. Sometimes I wonder "Did I just miss something in that interaction?" and sure, I can rewind back a minute or two but if it's something from a prior chapter, there's no real easy way to narrow it down. So a lot of my questions come from me not knowing if I missed a detail or if the details were intentionally obscure.

Often times, I'll go to the Coppermind and go recap via the chapter summaries there. Unfortunately, that does lead to the occasional minor spoiler with names since the chapter summaries list all of the characters present or mentioned and if a character was just something like "the man in black," the Coppermind summary will just list their name.

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Feb 13, 2024

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Mordiceius posted:

One thing I don't really understand about WoR - [spoiler removed] That whole interaction is a little cloudy to me.
That whole interaction is still pretty cloudy even to people who're fully caught up, so you're in good company.

eszett engma
May 7, 2013
Prediction for future books regarding Shallan and her mother: It'll turn out that Chana is Shallan's mother, and Shallan was born to be body snatched by Chana in a way that transfers her mind but leaves behind her ties to Roshar so she can escape before the coming desolation.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Thats definitely a "book 5 through 10" future books speculation given spoilers not an in context of the current conversation "just ahead of where Modiceius is" future books

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
But yeah Mord keep posting those theories and observations they're great.

Same for the rest of our new readers.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Anshu posted:

That whole interaction is still pretty cloudy even to people who're fully caught up, so you're in good company.

Unless you've figured out the big clue that breaks that whole bit open
*edit* actually the biggest real confirmation of that theory is SL5 prologue I think, but people had figured it out even before RoW due to some WoBs

big mean giraffe fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Feb 13, 2024

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

big mean giraffe posted:

Unless you've figured out the big clue that breaks that whole bit open
*edit* actually the biggest real confirmation of that theory is SL5 prologue I think, but people had figured it out even before RoW due to some WoBs

As much as I enjoy all the theorycrafting it launched, the reveal that Taln didn't break really should've been in story and not casually tossed out in a WoB.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

eszett engma posted:

Prediction for future books regarding Shallan and her mother: It'll turn out that Chana is Shallan's mother, and Shallan was born to be body snatched by Chana in a way that transfers her mind but leaves behind her ties to Roshar so she can escape before the coming desolation.

i am more suspicious about the opposite direction: did Chana have to break off a chunk of her power, somehow, to have Shallan? Is Shallan more invested than normal humans? Does she have some remnant of her mom's Connection to Honor? etc

i think some of these things could explain the Cryptics' "oh well if more of us have to die to bond her then that's okay" stance. but just the Herald connection alone could be enough for that

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Ojjeorago posted:

As much as I enjoy all the theorycrafting it launched, the reveal that Taln didn't break really should've been in story and not casually tossed out in a WoB.

I mean, it's more or less revealed in the SA5 prologue, so you can get this information even if you don't follow Words of Brandon.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Ojjeorago posted:

I think that information is being saved for the reveal that all the theorycrafting landed on. Once in-universe characters learn Taln didn't break, if they're not simultaneously told it was Chana and how she died, they'll immediately come to the same conclusion that the fans did -- okay then, someone else did, a Herald must have died right around then -- and then do the same "who do we know about that died either then or just before then" and they're gonna land on Chana too, and rapidly figure it out.

eke out posted:

i am more suspicious about the opposite direction: did Chana have to break off a chunk of her power, somehow, to have Shallan?
Doubtful, considering Shallan had four brothers.

edit: Different topic, and spoilers up to RoW even though it's extremely idle musing: I wonder what dahn Kaladin is now? I know the answer is "Alethkar's social structures are in a state of rapid and massive upheaval, nobody really cares about that poo poo any more", but, like, if you pointed a sword at Jasnah's throat and made her give you an answer? He's gotta be third to be Highmarshal, but what about now? He can't be lower than fourth, but is he still third even though he's stepped down because he was Highmarshal, or just because he's Kaladin loving Stormblessed and that's just the amount of respect he draws? Hell, you could argue he's effectively second; he'll listen respectfully to, say, Adolin or Sebarial if they have a suggestion, but I don't think he's actually taking orders from anyone who's not Dalinar or maybe Jasnah.

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Feb 14, 2024

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I think he would still rank as 4th dahn, as everything else is just a job title. He's not a prince or a king or a royal consort or a high prince. He's not been granted any more lands to rule and administer.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

So I finished The Way of Kings and, holy shittttttttt

• PARSHMEN ARE VOIDBRINGERS IN DIGUISE?!?! WTF?!?!
  • Shallan & Jasnah can travel to the Void and Back! That's a twist.
  • Kaladin can infuse Stormlight like Szeth and knows little about what he can do. OMG.
  • Shallan & Jasnah, I guess, will become an epic magical duo if they don't need Soulcasters to perform these acts.
  • A Herald dying in Kholinar & somehow Wit knows where to be at the right time?????

PREDICTIONS FOR WoR
  • Wit gets revealed to be much more than some clever guy. He knows the Everstorm & The Desolation is coming.
  • Szeth goes on a rampage. I'm willing to bet good money Kaladin vs Szeth happens.
  • Dalinar ends up regretting giving up Oathbringer.
  • Chaos rains down on Roshar with the Desolation.
  • In that illustration, We will see a massive boss fight with some giant, epic creature.
  • There's something much bigger happening within Shallan's family. Her father was all sorts of hosed up.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

A Sneaker Broker posted:

So I finished The Way of Kings and, holy shittttttttt
lmao it's the least eventful book of the series, are you in for it.

Also I'm going to actually directly answer a speculation: Wit is indeed much more than just another clever guy. Keep his physical description and any names he may go by in mind as you keep reading.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Speaking of Wit, I was thinking about this last night (WoK/WoR spoilers) How does he know exactly where to be for the return of both Talenel and Jasnah? Hoid clearly has a bigger picture view of what's going on, but sometimes it feels like he's portrayed as a little too clever and knowing.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Mordiceius posted:

Speaking of Wit, I was thinking about this last night (WoK/WoR spoilers) How does he know exactly where to be for the return of both Talenel and Jasnah? Hoid clearly has a bigger picture view of what's going on, but sometimes it feels like he's portrayed as a little too clever and knowing.

This is (kind of) answered in other books, though it's relatively minor and we don't know specifics

Wit has unnatural luck stemming from something in his background, for one reason or another, to always be in the right place at the right time.

It doesn't work 100% of the time, like when Vin was supposed to meet the informant but chickened out, and we have WoB that Wit will sometimes show up somewhere, stand around for a while, and then leave again

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Mordiceius posted:

I don’t know if we know the exact mechanism, possibly related to Fortune, but I believe he’s explicitly stated he knows where to be for certain important events but doesn’t always know why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

DarkHorse posted:

This is (kind of) answered in other books, though it's relatively minor and we don't know specifics

Wit has unnatural luck stemming from something in his background, for one reason or another, to always be in the right place at the right time.

It doesn't work 100% of the time, like when Vin was supposed to meet the informant but chickened out, and we have WoB that Wit will sometimes show up somewhere, stand around for a while, and then leave again

rafikki posted:

I don’t know if we know the exact mechanism, possibly related to Fortune, but I believe he’s explicitly stated he knows where to be for certain important events but doesn’t always know why.

Rofl. Okay. Sure. I'm good with that.

For all my complaining about some of the books, I really love the Cosmere books and think what Brandon is doing is genuinely incredible. Though I sometimes worry that we have a little too much WoB. There have been more than a few times I've seen things mentioned here or looked things up on the Coppermind wiki and the answer is "Well, it's not explained in the books, but during a Q&A Brandon said..." which I feel could be detrimental to the greater whole if those details never make it back into the books. I trust Brando, but that doesn't stop me from still being a little worried about that.