Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

The motherland calls me :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

socketwrencher posted:

It's too bad that the Niners couldn't hit one of the longer passes they attempted early on, which might have been able to loosen up the D a bit- seems like KC had no fear of the long ball.

If Purdy could hit a deep ball consistently they would have won by double digits. His skill set for now is short passes to players that YAC the hell out of the other team, and the occasional scramble for 10-40 yards when the other team forgets to keep him hemmed in the pocket.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

D-LINK posted:

Yeah, they went 5 decades between championships, and finally have a god mode QB. This post is weird

The Chiefs history is weird because they've rarely been truly bad, but just couldn't get over the hump and were famously terrible at drafting QBs (their best ones were always veteran mercenaries). From the 90s Marty teams, to Trent Green/Priest Holmes, to even the Alex Smith years, they were pretty much "the fun team that loses to a real contender in the playoffs."

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
The chiefs in the wilderness will always be represented in my mind with this gif

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I'm happy for Andy Reid and that he's going to the HOF.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

SilvergunSuperman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTULEbKDHqw

So much to love, his little kicky legs, the woman wiping it after just :discourse:

lmfao

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Abugadu posted:

If Purdy could hit a deep ball consistently they would have won by double digits. His skill set for now is short passes to players that YAC the hell out of the other team, and the occasional scramble for 10-40 yards when the other team forgets to keep him hemmed in the pocket.

Purdy was maybe the best deep ball thrower in the league this year in the regular season. He was actually middle of the pack in yards contributed by YAC. He just couldn’t do it in the playoffs, but that’s not entirely on him, the pass protection was pretty bad.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

shindragon no don't do it its just a game

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Is it better to be Marv Levy or to never make it?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
the thing with Shanahan isn't simply that he's lost two superbowls after leading by ten, it's that in quite a few big games - NFCCGs, games vs other superbowl contenders - his teams have repeatedly floundered in the second half and often struggle to either protect a lead or mount comebacks. it's not just a 2 game sample size.

yes he's one of the best regular season coaches in the league. yes he's very good at developing an offense and coordinators - on both sides of the ball. of course you don't fire him any time soon - my personal threshold would be at least two consecutive losing seasons (or three healthy but disappointing ~9 win seasons). but he's repeatedly coached teams that are flawed in very noticeable ways

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

Purdy's problem was that Chris Jones happened

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

the GM tried to make a Star and Scrubs OL and it didn’t quite work out against teams with good rushers

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

https://twitter.com/shannonsharpeee/status/1757184003348844674

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Shanahan did the best he could do with the cards he had to work with.

The only problem is it's his loving fault for being there in the first place for blowing so much to land Trey Lance.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
The Lance pick/trade cost them this Super Bowl and no one is going to bring it up.

Edit: welp I got beat by a minute

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

would you try to wrap Purdy up relatively cheap with a 4 year 275m extension, locking him down for another 6 years at 46aav, or go all-in on his last two cost-controlled years and sign Chris Jones/trade picks for blue chips? personally I'd go route 1 because it seems like they're good enough at drafting and developing to continue reloading

e: although Purdy might not be willing to take that discount. idk

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

indigi posted:

the thing with Shanahan isn't simply that he's lost two superbowls after leading by ten, it's that in quite a few big games - NFCCGs, games vs other superbowl contenders - his teams have repeatedly floundered in the second half and often struggle to either protect a lead or mount comebacks. it's not just a 2 game sample size.

yes he's one of the best regular season coaches in the league. yes he's very good at developing an offense and coordinators - on both sides of the ball. of course you don't fire him any time soon - my personal threshold would be at least two consecutive losing seasons (or three healthy but disappointing ~9 win seasons). but he's repeatedly coached teams that are flawed in very noticeable ways

this is a Reasonable take

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

MrMidnight posted:

shindragon no don't do it its just a game

lolll

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

so, I guess we can sum it up as the Kansas City Chiefs are the best team in the NFL and everyone else is not as good.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

indigi posted:

I mean, his SB losses are also against two generational QBs, one who is probably the current GOAT and the other the likely person to become the GOAT. So it’s also just an element of unfortunate luck in terms of opponent.

And he’s at least still improving - I think the comeback against the Packers was the first time he’d ever had a come-from-behind (in the second half) victory in the playoffs, which he then had to repeat the following week and almost pulled off again yesterday. Someone else mentioned this a few weeks back, but if or when he can finally break through to win the SB, he’ll probably become an even better coach because he’ll have finally lifted that weight off and then it’ll basically be “gently caress it, let’s ball” all the time, just like Andy Reid.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

it's such a weird and unique situation that the Chiefs have one of the best DCs going and there's no threat of him getting hired away. imagine if teams like the 9ers or Ravens just didn't have to worry about their coordinators getting poached. it's such a sneaky advantage

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Despite being a player on a team I never have nor never will give a drat about, Marshawn Lynch has demanded I like him and his antics and I really don't have a retort to that. Dude just owns.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

indigi posted:

This simply isn’t true.
Playoff games:
2023: Chiefs - Winning 10-3 at half, lose in OT
2023: Lions - Came back from a 24-7 deficit at halftime
2023: Packers - Winning 7-6 at the half, trade scores with Packers all second half and pull out the win.
2022: Eagles - Who cares they were playing Josh Johnson at QB
2022: Seahawks - Losing 17-16 at the half, end up winning by like 20
2022: Cowboys - Winning 9-6 at the half, win 19-12
2021: Cowboys - Winning 16-7 at the half, win 23-17 without ever losing the lead
2021: Packers - Losing 7-3 at the half, win 13-10
2021: Rams - Winning 10-7 at the half, lose 20-17.
2019: Vikings - Winning 14-10 at the half, end up winning 27-10
2019: Packers - Winning 27-0 at the half, Win 37-20
2019: Chiefs - Tied 10-10 at the half, lose 31-20

The only real pattern is that they win most of their playoff games and he’s not good enough to beat Reid and Mahomes.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I said I wasn't just talking about playoff games but ok

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Shinjobi posted:

Despite being a player on a team I never have nor never will give a drat about, Marshawn Lynch has demanded I like him and his antics and I really don't have a retort to that. Dude just owns.

he's so cool lol

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

indigi posted:

I said I wasn't just talking about playoff games but ok

You mentioned conference championships and big games vs contenders, what games are those if not playoff games?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

indigi posted:

it's such a weird and unique situation that the Chiefs have one of the best DCs going and there's no threat of him getting hired away. imagine if teams like the 9ers or Ravens just didn't have to worry about their coordinators getting poached. it's such a sneaky advantage

I just hope they don’t figure out how good our secondary coach is

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Check this out: Brock Turdy

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Hot Diggity! posted:

idgi

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Same

He didn’t throw 30 touchdowns this season and he looks like a childe, so idk

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

YOLOsubmarine posted:

You mentioned conference championships and big games vs contenders, what games are those if not playoff games?

https://www.nfl.com/games/ravens-at-49ers-2023-reg-16
https://www.nfl.com/games/bengals-at-49ers-2023-reg-8
https://www.nfl.com/games/49ers-at-browns-2023-reg-6

and just for fun, up by ten in the first

https://www.nfl.com/games/chiefs-at-49ers-2022-reg-7

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

D-LINK posted:

OTOH he's 0-3 as a coach in SB appearances. 3x is a trend, not a fluke. He's Kirk Cousins

That is a tiny sample size, any given Sunday and all.

Andy Reid lost three NFC Championships in a row, and then lost his first Super Bowl and followed it up with another NFCCG loss. Then lost a multitude of playoff games in his first few years at KC, many in embarrassing fashion too! He was a professional playoff choker, emeritus. Now look at him.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

That is a tiny sample size, any given Sunday and all.

Andy Reid lost three NFC Championships in a row, and then lost his first Super Bowl and followed it up with another NFCCG loss. Then lost a multitude of playoff games in his first few years at KC, many in embarrassing fashion too! Now look at him.

getting abused by a tight end.. for shame...

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

This is literally just “sometimes they lose to other teams.” It has nothing to do with some specific identifiable issue with protecting leads or coming back, it’s just “here are games they lost.”

Every loss is a failure to “protect a lead or mount a comeback,” but I thought you were trying to make a point beyond “sometimes his teams lose games.”

Nov 6, 2002

Completely unrelated, the official CBS 4k stream of the game was by far the best looking football broadcast I have ever seen. I was watching on a 77" OLED and it looked spectacular. I'd like to imagine in the near future streams of that quality become the norm.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Hahahahahaha

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Hot Diggity! posted:

LET EM KNOW

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Radia posted:

getting abused by a tight end.. for shame...

taylor????

Nov 6, 2002

Reid:

Lost Divisional playoffs (at Giants) 20–10
Lost NFC Championship (at Rams) 29–24
Lost NFC Championship (Buccaneers) 27–10
Lost NFC Championship (Panthers) 14–3
Lost Super Bowl XXXIX (vs. Patriots) 24–21
Lost Divisional playoffs (at Saints) 27–24
Lost NFC Championship (at Cardinals) 32–25
Lost Wild Card playoffs (at Cowboys) 34–14
Lost Wild Card playoffs (Packers) 21–16
Lost Wild Card Playoffs (at Colts) 44–45 *blew a 38-10 lead*
Lost Divisional Playoffs (at Patriots) 20–27
Lost Divisional Playoffs (Steelers) 16–18
Lost Wild Card Playoffs (Titans) 21–22

The takeaway is, get yourself a quarterback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
https://twitter.com/CBSSportsGang/status/1757231295044682130

#thankyoutaytay