Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Solefald Edit: Removed video of someone possibly dying or being seriously injured.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Feb 14, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

c'mon dude, that's haunting

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Don’t play that video. Trust me bro

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
If my car has a problem, should I fix it, or just hose it down with spray foam?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6hoR9M73zI

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Karate Bastard posted:

More people should attempt to solve problems with expanding spray foam, honestly. Either it works, or we get hilarious videos, so it's a win-win.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

From a Swedish urbexp group. Sign says "Electricty done right"

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Karate Bastard posted:

quote:

...and cracked the engine block the technician also said it did not taste like peanut butter

Concerning.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

That account is a pro follow. I know nothing about cars but even I can :stonk: at the poo poo it takes exactly one brain cell to see.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

If you own a car in the UK, every year you have to take it to a garage and it has to pass a check-up saying its safe to drive. Is that not a thing is the US?

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Olewithmilk posted:

If you own a car in the UK, every year you have to take it to a garage and it has to pass a check-up saying its safe to drive. Is that not a thing is the US?

It's up to the individual state but most of them don't require mandatory inspections. My state got rid of that in the past 5 or so years, for example.

edit: Looks like more states require emission inspections than they do safety inspections.

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Feb 13, 2024

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Olewithmilk posted:

State to state. Texas has a bullshit safety inspection that's toothless. New Mexico only requires emissions, and only in the county I live in lol. That one's more of a tax for living in the one place where people live here than anything else.
Those are the ones I'm familiar with.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Olewithmilk posted:

I live in one of the stricter inspection states, which are the minority, and our bar is 'lights turn on and the mechanic cannot fit a fist through any given hole in the frame'.

Most don't bother, and the strictest conversely only care about exhaust analysis.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Texas is basically lights, wipers, brakes, and tires. Some counties have emissions testing, but not the one I’m in.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
I believe most the :psyduck: cars are the result of disabilities, addiction, mental health, and crippling poverty combined with a societal hate for non car havers, so a lot of it is sadder than funny to me. But it does provide a lot of examples of things to be on the lookout for when for example buying a used car. Like they're revealing whole new categories of ways poo poo can be busted

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Olewithmilk posted:

No safety inspection requirement in Georgia. Yearly emissions inspections. Diesels are exempt

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Oh yeah in Bernalillo County the emissions certs are 2 year, and you can reup your registration for 1 or 2 years at the emissions place depending on how much money you're willing to spend that day.

The Vietnam 2000 Emissions Testing and Restaurant in my neighborhood is one of the best in town.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Australia has no emissions standards and no regular safety inspections. You can drive around in any old piece of poo poo, we're a dumping ground for car models that companies can't sell elsewhere.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
I've gotten two inspections in Missouri where the mechanic didn't even look out the window at the vehicle.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

That's very interesting, I wonder if that's why UK dashcam compilations are more boring than US and Australian ones.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
https://twitter.com/fuujihi/status/1757236817752146267

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I can't wait for these pics to get badly compressed and then show up in the UFO thread.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Scratch Monkey posted:

https://i.imgur.com/YHVfOFX.mp4

manufacturing in a poor country. nothing we haven't seen before. But wait to see what they're making

too shiny to be cast unless they have the literal god of mold making

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Olewithmilk posted:

Works for me because my car won’t pass “is check engine light on yes/no”. My brakes are far more on point than most.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

goatsestretchgoals posted:

too shiny to be cast unless they have the literal god of mold making

Might be aluminium

Probably is by how that lathe was going

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Feb 13, 2024

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Kith posted:

https://i.imgur.com/AwxvVgN.mp4

rubber ducks in the chicago river

thats a lot of piss

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
We have yearly inspections (6 monthly for cars older than 2000) in New Zealand, and they can be pretty strict. You can be denied a warrant for tread less than a mm, a chip in the windscreen right in front of the driver or more than 3 chips, too much surface rust, broken wing mirror, horn not working you name it.

I got denied once for having stickers on my windscreen that stuck out further than 3cm from the edge. On the other hand, I just passed a warrant with a very obvious gouge (not down the the metal braiding) in my tyres sidewall from hitting the gutter. They absolutely saw it.

Sounds like a loving pain in the arse but it's a once a year, and $60 - $80 NZD, takes an hour, and I think it's worth it even though it sucks at the time. Plus if you have a mechanic friend they can give you a dodgy warrant lol

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
TV show idea: a TÜV inspection site is transported to Australia or the USA, random cars are pulled from traffic and inspected.

By the second episode at least one German inspector will have spontaneously exploded into a fine mist, while several new incredibly offensive expletives are discovered and subsequently censored for anglophone audiences.

e: The third episode will feature a Finnish swearing coach

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

klen dool posted:

We have yearly inspections (6 monthly for cars older than 2000) in New Zealand, and they can be pretty strict. You can be denied a warrant for tread less than a mm, a chip in the windscreen right in front of the driver or more than 3 chips, too much surface rust, broken wing mirror, horn not working you name it.

I got denied once for having stickers on my windscreen that stuck out further than 3cm from the edge. On the other hand, I just passed a warrant with a very obvious gouge (not down the the metal braiding) in my tyres sidewall from hitting the gutter. They absolutely saw it.

Sounds like a loving pain in the arse but it's a once a year, and $60 - $80 NZD, takes an hour, and I think it's worth it even though it sucks at the time. Plus if you have a mechanic friend they can give you a dodgy warrant lol

Jesus every 6 months? That's nuts. Here it's every 2 years for all but the newest cars (until 5 years? I dunno never had one that new) and it's pretty effective at keeping the deathtraps like you'd see in the US off the roads.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Whoforthenwhat
Sep 20, 2009

EoinCannon posted:

Australia has no emissions standards and no regular safety inspections. You can drive around in any old piece of poo poo, we're a dumping ground for car models that companies can't sell elsewhere.

NSW at least has pink slips which is the safety inspection before you can renew your rego. Or has that been dumped like other states?

But yeah, zilch for emissions, which is why people are getting big American trucks like f150’s (for city driving) etc in a country that has roads waaay too narrow for them. Toyota Landcruiser used to be the ‘big’ car here, it’s getting dwarfed by the US imports.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Khizan posted:

Texas is basically lights, wipers, brakes, and tires. Some counties have emissions testing, but not the one I’m in.

We've actually decided that this is a little excessive. Just pay the fee and don't do the inspection anymore.

quote:

On Aug. 5, Gov. Greg Abbott signed House Bill 3297 into law, which eliminates regular mandatory vehicle safety inspections for noncommercial vehicles.

Drivers must still pay the annual inspection fee of $7.50 but will no longer need to take their vehicle in for inspection prior to registering it.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

lol jesus the 2 year emissions + 2 year registration is still in the hundreds of dollars in Bernalillo

I did see them wave that car through in Lubbock when we gave it to her brother last summer, though, everything they needed to see was working but it was throwing code cuz the gas cap is trash
ain't nobody care boom

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Alabama has never to my knowledge had any kind of safety inspection, cars drive here in literally any condition.

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

:unsmith:

Olewithmilk posted:

I had the exact same question my first day driving down the I-5 and I glance at the pickup travelling next to me. The front wing, drivers door, fron bumper, & bonnet were frames with corroded flakes attached. I could see the engine and the driver's croc'd feet on the pedals :stare:. Honestly, it looked like one good kick to the front the pickup would disintergrate. I spent a lot more time paying attention to the state of some vehicles the rest of the holiday and became strangely thankful for the MOT in the UK.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

MrQwerty posted:

If they're blasting out a tunnel you just get used to it.
I went to New Mexico Tech for a while, and NMT houses the Energetic Materials Research and Testing Center on the other side of the hill called M mountain. There'd be massive blasts and shockwaves at the most random times of day. Eventually you didn't even notice.

I've developed this response to the chemical warning siren on the works near me. Cos they run it every week to test it so at this point I'm just used to air raid sirens.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Um... I've just been informed that those weren't tests

caspergers
Oct 1, 2021

I forgot about this trend. Thanks for the nostalgia anon I needed it

Solefald Edit: Removed content of quote

Somebody fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Feb 14, 2024

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
I grew up in Ohio and was very much surprised to learn other states had inspections once I moved away. Apparently like 7 of the 88 counties have their own programs.

Always exciting to recontextualize childhood memories, like riding in the rear-facing pop up seats in the back of our station wagon, no seat belts, and apparently with zero emissions standards. And not entirely improbably burning leaded gasoline. Makes me homesick :qq: (edit this was the 90s)

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

withak posted:

Not for long.

New thread title

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

shoeberto posted:

I grew up in Ohio and was very much surprised to learn other states had inspections once I moved away. Apparently like 7 of the 88 counties have their own programs.

I moved to Peoria from the Chicagoland area and everyone was confused when I asked where to get an inspection and city sticker. Guess Illinois only does it around Chicago and St. Louis.

Now I'm confused having to do an annual inspection in Milwaukee, but at least still no city stickers (gotta pay if I need to do street parking).