Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

It's at the CVS' here in Missouri too. I figure if we have it deep in red state territory then it's gotta be getting pretty wide spread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

What are the dosages like on the for-nonprofessional-use sprays? I understand that in theory you match the amount of naloxone to the amount of opiate, and untrained people obviously can't be expected to do that, so do they just use an excess dose on the grounds that 'sick' is better than 'dead'? Or is it a two-pack so they can say "Give them one, and if they haven't woken up after 30 seconds give them the other one." ?

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

The Lone Badger posted:

What are the dosages like on the for-nonprofessional-use sprays? I understand that in theory you match the amount of naloxone to the amount of opiate, and untrained people obviously can't be expected to do that, so do they just use an excess dose on the grounds that 'sick' is better than 'dead'? Or is it a two-pack so they can say "Give them one, and if they haven't woken up after 30 seconds give them the other one." ?

It is however much you can administer to a suddenly combative and WD'ing person while you wait for an ambulance. A single dose used to be sufficient but Fent changes the math and now it's more like "every 5 minutes til help arrives." If one dose don't work, sure move to two? You literally cannot make a dead person any more dead.

Tranq dope and Benzo dope change the sitch a bit but Xylazine has no reversal drug and the benzo reversal drug is so dangerous and uncommon that it's easiest just to deal with the Fent and figure everything out later.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

I don't run in the kind of circles anymore that would cause me to need them but Narcan and Fent test strips live in my medical supply pile just in case.

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

From the CVS Website, yeah, pretty much. Give the first dose, call 911, keep giving doses until they wake up.

It's easier to read on their website
https://www.cvs.com/shop/narcan-nasal-spray-emergency-opioid-overdose-treatment-2-ct-prodid-694994

Edit: Obviously, I am not a doctor, and other ones might be different? This is just the pack I saw in the vending machine.

Ironhead has a new favorite as of 04:24 on Jan 28, 2024

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
wait, theres a new drug out there now??? Whats tranq, a muscle relaxant?

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

It's a cheap and legal cow tranquilizer that humans should never inject. And they use it to cut Fentanyl cause ???

https://www.cdc.gov/drugoverdose/deaths/other-drugs/xylazine/faq.html

people are losing fingers and poo poo

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Way to show how uncool you are.

WebMD to the rescue

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Desert Bus posted:

It's a cheap and legal cow tranquilizer that humans should never inject. And they use it to cut Fentanyl cause ???

I thought you cut things with fentanyl. Race to the bottom going faster than I thought.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

If you are at all squeamish don't GIS Xylazine.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Everything is fentanyl except actual fentanyl, which is cow tranquilliser.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Can you even OD someone on Narcan? I mean, it’s an opioid antagonist, even if they have no opioids in their system, what’s it gonna do? I guess it could outcompete natural endorphins at the receptor site, but if there’s even a question and you can administer it is there any reason not to?

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Ironhead posted:

I think you can get it anywhere now. I literally saw it in a CVS vending machine at the convention center the other day when I was putting a show in. I was kind of shocked at first, but being a huge convention center with alot of attached hotels, it seems like a good thing.

Edit: I actually took a photo

panic fumbling for exact change at the drug vending machine while someone OD's down the hall... sort of dark

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

Phanatic posted:

Can you even OD someone on Narcan? I mean, it’s an opioid antagonist, even if they have no opioids in their system, what’s it gonna do? I guess it could outcompete natural endorphins at the receptor site, but if there’s even a question and you can administer it is there any reason not to?

Falling down the rabbit hole, it looks like, basically, no, you can't OD on Narcan, so you're better off giving it. There are other complications, like the Narcan wearing off before the opiods and throwing the user back into an OD, or when the Narcan hits basically throwing people directly into withdrawal.

"Is there any harm associated with naloxone (Narcan) use?
There are minimal risks associated with naloxone. Naloxone (Narcan) is not a controlled medication. It has no street value, and you cannot become addicted to it. If used by a person who doesn’t use opiates, at worst it might make them uncomfortable. The only exceptions would be for an individual who had an allergic reaction to naloxone (Narcan) or a woman who was pregnant or nursing. If you suspect an opioid overdose, it is safe to give naloxone. People who used opioids will then wake up and go into withdrawal. Withdrawal is unpleasant but not fatal. Naloxone does not prevent deaths caused by other drugs such as benzodiazepines (e.g., Xanax®, Klonopin® and Valium®), bath salts, cocaine, methamphetamine or alcohol. Always call 911 if you suspect an overdose, because the victim may need other care."

It also looks like there are alot of way to get free Narcan to add to your first aid kit. For example down here in Texas, you can request an individual (2 doses, like the box we were talking about) or a bulk order for an organization from UT. There is a short survey associated with it, and they get your real information, but that doesn't bother me. I just put in an order to have some to throw into the first aid box at work.

https://www.morenarcanplease.com/

Twenty Four posted:

panic fumbling for exact change at the drug vending machine while someone OD's down the hall... sort of dark

Yeah we were just having that conversation after work. The general consensus was, hey, atleast you could smash the glass and grab it if you had to.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
We’re given Narcan training at work and the policy is basically “keep using it until paramedics arrive; the drug is cheap, human life is not”.

Any potential side effects are way, way better than re-OD’ing on whatever caused the collapse in the first place.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

If you ever have to use it remember that most people respond badly mentally going from near death high to opioid WD's. They may thank you later but in that moment you are their worst enemy. Dose em up and back away/

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Ironhead posted:

Yeah we were just having that conversation after work. The general consensus was, hey, atleast you could smash the glass and grab it if you had to.

I had that thought too, and then had the second thought of "what if it's really strong plexiglass and just pounding away at it to no avail while someone fades away".

Again, pretty dark, especially when I was trying to click on the last page of the "PYF weird houses" thread and accidentally clicked this one that I have never read before and it took me a minute to figure out where I was, lol.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

I have probably posted this before or maybe I saw it here? But it's awful. Lots of dead kids. And poop. Anyway it's not Fentanyl related so yay:

https://beltmag.com/cincinnati-privy-disaster-1904/

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
I work at our university's health center - we have packages of naloxone in our entryway that anyone can just pick up and take with them - there are instructions packaged with it and numbers to call if you want to meet with someone to have them walk you through the process of using it. No need to ask anyone for it, get a prescription or pay anything - just grab it out of the box and go. It's been pretty popular.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Bonster posted:

I work at our university's health center - we have packages of naloxone in our entryway that anyone can just pick up and take with them - there are instructions packaged with it and numbers to call if you want to meet with someone to have them walk you through the process of using it. No need to ask anyone for it, get a prescription or pay anything - just grab it out of the box and go. It's been pretty popular.

Yeah, my town has a few public boxes outside local shelters and the county health department I think, basically like taking a book from one of those free Little Libraries. Got them through American Rescue Plan money I think.

Anyone can anonymously open it up and take some for emergencies. There was some concern that somebody would take them all, but the honor system has worked so far. We've had a few anecdotal reports that they've been used successfully in overdose situations before first responders arrived.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I'm 99% sure the answer is fentanyl.

https://www.tmz.com/2024/02/01/deceased-kansas-city-chiefs-fan-family-attorney-toxicology-substances-drugs/

I know TMZ is trash, but...

quote:

2:24 PM PT -- Sources with direct knowledge tell TMZ ... early toxicology results from this investigation suggest traces of cocaine and fentanyl were found in the deceased's systems.

:ms: imo

edit: also the party host has checked into rehab

HelloIAmYourHeart has a new favorite as of 03:24 on Feb 2, 2024

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.
Hard to score when there’s police around 24/7.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Australian Federal Police radicalise an autistic 13 year old with 71 IQ whose parents took him to the police for help with his fixation for ISIS and then wait until he turns 14 to charge him so they can't use 'he's just a kid' as an excuse in court.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

our allies are so like us :911:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

They imprisoned the person who leaked war crimes.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/pa-man-arrested-decapitating-father-youtube-video-rcna136509

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Guy wrote and published a book called the Revolution Leader's Guide to Survival yet was caught a hundred miles away because he kept his cellphone on him. Google StingRay people.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

yeah, acab. australian cops are bastards

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The federal police are at least twice the bastardness of any of the state forces. (not saying the state forces are good, but the AFP are total worthless bastards)

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

imagine queensland cops with fed powers,

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Funeral home in Colorado was basically just letting bodies rot into soup and giving families fake jars of ashes.

https://apnews.com/article/colorado-funeral-home-fake-ashes-29d6bc5531097b2c2e2c6d29077b4278

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Just because you raise your pet warthog from infancy doesn't mean he won't try to kill you later

Dude must not have paid attention to any of the countless stories about pet bears and monkeys murdering people for shits and giggles. And hogs are always one blink away from being murderbeasts and that's just the tuskless domesticated varieties.

RC and Moon Pie has a new favorite as of 07:18 on Feb 13, 2024

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Hakuna matata

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
I didn’t realise he’d survived until several paragraphs in because full grown warthog attack… I guess no more warthogs for him but I wonder what other dangerous exotic animals he still has there.

I can’t believe he went back for his phone

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

In fairness it was to call for help so he didn't bleed to death.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

MrMidnight posted:

Hakuna matata

Hakuna Matar-ta

Triple-Kan
Dec 29, 2008
Why did it take so long for the article to mention that Waylon shared his pen with a second, female, warthog? D'ya think that might have had something to do with this sudden change in the animal's nature?

Sex Farm
Nov 17, 2017

Triple-Kan posted:

Why did it take so long for the article to mention that Waylon shared his pen with a second, female, warthog? D'ya think that might have had something to do with this sudden change in the animal's nature?

Yeah this is the smoking gun

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Sex Farm posted:

Yeah this is the smoking gun

Gonna take forums poster Sex Farm as an expert on this subject.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

I want to know what happened to the warthog afterwards. Carnitas? Sausage? Pulled?