Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
"Song of the People"

This game is hard as nails. I'm only level 3, but only completed a couple missions on Normal then failed another. I can't get used to the really floaty aim. Feels like the cross hair is always a bit behind. Hard to explain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
A friend of mine named his ship Pledge of Allegiance.

Also the Breacher shotgun is awesome. Small bugs, one shot. Medium bugs 2-3 shots. Large bugs you can just mag dump into their weak points and they go down hard. I highly recommend it.

OGS-Remix fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Feb 13, 2024

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

central dogma posted:

"Song of the People"

This game is hard as nails. I'm only level 3, but only completed a couple missions on Normal then failed another. I can't get used to the really floaty aim. Feels like the cross hair is always a bit behind. Hard to explain.

It actually is behind. Your character takes time to swing their weapon around. If you go into first-person mode (MMB by default on PC, idk what it is on controller), it's a little easier to see what's happening.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

RoyalScion posted:

Ok I lied, quickplay is still terrible :effort:

I just browse open matches. One must not make uninformed decisions when managing democracy.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I can't seem to get the machine gun achievement to pop, I keep killin' and nothing!

Also lmao the mines are just friendly fire machines

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
Managed democracy means you don't need to be informed, or make decisions. Super Earth's algorithms make your choices for you

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I love the anti-material rifle. Love it. It just sings to me and it makes killing any big boy from any distance super easy.

What’s the best way to fight the robots? I’ve only ever tried one time (last mission) and it was a mess. I could t really figure out how to destroy their spawn buildings (the ones that open their doors). I take it I’m supposed to throw a grenade into the open door? An orbital strike didn’t do it. They are harder to see in comparison to the landscape, and skinny and easy to miss, that’s for drat sure.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Also lmao pubbies have zero clue how to play this without instantly dying and taking everyone with them

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
game ran pretty smoothly for me tonight, matchmaking mostly worked and rewards registered correctly

the only problem was my third charger wouldn't register for the daily challenge no matter how many of the fuckers i killed

RBA Starblade posted:

I can't seem to get the machine gun achievement to pop, I keep killin' and nothing!

i got this on one of the emplaced mg's

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

central dogma posted:

Feels like the cross hair is always a bit behind. Hard to explain.

blastron posted:

It actually is behind. Your character takes time to swing their weapon around. If you go into first-person mode (MMB by default on PC, idk what it is on controller), it's a little easier to see what's happening.

Also when in third person the circle will indicate where your gun is aimed, once you play with this in mind it gets a little less awkward. But I still aim down sights when I need to be accurate.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

Blind Rasputin posted:

I love the anti-material rifle. Love it. It just sings to me and it makes killing any big boy from any distance super easy.

What’s the best way to fight the robots? I’ve only ever tried one time (last mission) and it was a mess. I could t really figure out how to destroy their spawn buildings (the ones that open their doors). I take it I’m supposed to throw a grenade into the open door? An orbital strike didn’t do it. They are harder to see in comparison to the landscape, and skinny and easy to miss, that’s for drat sure.

There's a couple of glowing red vents above the spawn door!

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Blind Rasputin posted:

Yep, the vents above the door, that shoot flame and such. Once you learn 'em they're easier to spot, and their are about half as many as there are bug holes. Still can be orbital'd and Eagle'd, you might have had a bad angle.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The rocket robots being able to 1-shot you is some real poo poo.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Whoever talked about hitting chargers legs thank you. It has made them so much less tanky

Veritonsils
Sep 14, 2007

For. Eh. Ver.
Just did an op on the laser robot jungle hell planet where all the stratagems got scrambled. Meant to toss out an autocannon, ended up being a 500kg Eagle drop instead.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Away all Goats posted:

So now that the launch woes and initial hype has died down, how is this for someone who loved the first Helldivers?

Really enjoyed the gunplay, strategem system and variety of enemies in the first game.

I think my only complaint was the massive difference in difficulty between 2 player coop and 3 player coop. It really felt like the game was balanced for either 2 players or 4 players, and nothing else.

The transition from overhead to third person works incredibly well at amplifying the sense of mayhem from helldivers 1, and the general feeling from the first game carries over into 2 almost beat for beat. The level of detail put into the gameplay has been a treat to see. It has an addictive "just one more mission" feeling to it, the kind that makes you go to bed a lot later than you meant to. I'm waiting for a roadmap, but it sounds like the game will have a long tail with a lot of support and new unlockables, planets, and enemies.

Honestly one of the best games I've played in a long time (matchmaking issues aside).

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Couple of things I've noticed I haven't seen posted yet. The Autocannon is amazing and never leaves my loadout, but the reload mechanic has some subtlety to it. It has a ten round capacity, but each mag you load into it only has five rounds. Loading it from empty you have to stop, slap in a mag, chamber a round, then load another mag, which takes forever. However, if you have five rounds or less in it, you can just kneel down and quickly slap 5 rounds in it at any time. Its always better to do this when you have a moment than ever let it get fully empty. Additionally, it won't let you load a partial mag.

The SAM sites in the Automaton missions will shoot down dropships. I have no idea how far out they cover or if they run out of ammo, but its another really cool bit of attention to detail.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
My most recent mission started with us dropping into a Spore Spewer area and me instantly doming one of my teammates to try and kill the Bile Spewer right next to him as he spawned. Things went downhill from there.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
They need to tone down the ragdolling a bit. It was funny, but now it's frustrating to dive over a wall and have your character go limp after dropping 3 feet.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Man I dunno why people think the bots are harder than bugs. Stalkers and Bile Spewer spam is worse than anything the bots throw at you.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Been mostly bugstomping due to the weekly, right now my mainstay loadout is the Breaker autoshotty and machine pistol for weapons, and Eagle Napalm, Jetpack, Dispensable AT Rockets, and the Stalwart LMG (my actual primary weapon). Seems to cover everything, though if I'm in a tight team I'll switch out napalm for Eagle Airstrike since it can blow up heavy poo poo.

Any other alternative setups you guys have found good for bugstomps? I understand that a Grenade Launcher/Supply Pack combo is a good alternative since the GL can wash mobs at medium range.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

central dogma posted:

"Song of the People"

The grey circle is the point of impact.

It lags slightly behind your cross hair because you have to settle to aim properly, it settles faster if you're crouched.

Infidelicious fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Feb 13, 2024

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Away all Goats posted:

So now that the launch woes and initial hype has died down, how is this for someone who loved the first Helldivers?

Really enjoyed the gunplay, strategem system and variety of enemies in the first game.

I think my only complaint was the massive difference in difficulty between 2 player coop and 3 player coop. It really felt like the game was balanced for either 2 players or 4 players, and nothing else.

We ran around and cleared Helldive bugs with 3 earlier so, just fine

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

"gently caress!"

i shouted at the 8 minute mark, "there's a 12 minute timer" :sweatdrop:

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I was barely able to exfil a medium mission by myself while multi was being goofy. Every encounter is a chance to probably die. But unlike Dark souls style games, this seems to rely more on memorizing dpad inputs than parrying or dodging.

It’s obviously not trying to be DS, but I wish it tried to meet it half way.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lol the laser drone is so fuckin op.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I just did a hard solo. I had dudes left and extracted with 3 princely samples but it was still pretty sweaty.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

More Charger stuff: you can kill them fairly reliably with just grenades. The key is getting 'em under the thing. Waaaay easier with the impact fused ones, I've downed one in two good throws.

Note that a Charger with it's butt blown off is bleeding to death like a headless Warrior or Hive Commander - stop wasting ammo and they'll pass.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

1.000.005 for PS5 (PC patch from yesterday) just dropped while I was mid-mission. Installed, testing it now.

Server Capacity and log in access:
We have eased the authentication request overall.
We have improved error message visibility and added a countdown timer to clearly show when a new attempt will be made.
Progression and mission reward not being granted:
We fixed the daily and difficulty progression error
Based on the testing we have done we believe we have fixed future mission rewards but will continue to monitor this closely as it is our top priority
To compensate for lost rewards, we are working on an increased reward event

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
The ps5 patch seemingly hasn't fixed the matchmaker bug yet, but that may just be because there's a mix of players on different versions.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Eason the Fifth posted:

The transition from overhead to third person works incredibly well at amplifying the sense of mayhem from helldivers 1, and the general feeling from the first game carries over into 2 almost beat for beat. The level of detail put into the gameplay has been a treat to see. It has an addictive "just one more mission" feeling to it, the kind that makes you go to bed a lot later than you meant to. I'm waiting for a roadmap, but it sounds like the game will have a long tail with a lot of support and new unlockables, planets, and enemies.

Honestly one of the best games I've played in a long time (matchmaking issues aside).
I'm genuinely surprised at how well they've managed to translate the first game's general "quirkiness", for lack of a better word, into third-person with stuff like the aiming and general feel of the game. One of my worries was that the game was going to lose some of the charm the first game had with the shift in perspective but the devs did a bang up job of making it feel just like Helldivers 1 in all the right ways.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Fun fact, if you're running around with an armed strategem in hand, it will fall at your feet in the middle of your buddies once a robotank shell blows you into the stratosphere.

Molrok
May 30, 2011

Fishstick posted:

Fun fact, if you're running around with an armed strategem in hand, it will fall at your feet in the middle of your buddies once a robotank shell blows you into the stratosphere.

Getting knocked back by the backblast from a EAT launcher is also sufficient to knock off a primed stratagem beacon from your hand, Helldiver. Mind your positioning :)

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Did a Hard bot mission with a friend on voice comms last night. Outstayed our welcome and lost strats, and the evac was the other side of the map. Stealthed the whole way and drat was that atmospheric. When we arrived at the other end the pad was full of bots so we had to kite them out, then my friend died so I had to run to collect his samples and got on the evac with literally less than a second to spare and red laser fire coming from all directions. Game loving owns

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Jakabite posted:

Did a Hard bot mission with a friend on voice comms last night. Outstayed our welcome and lost strats, and the evac was the other side of the map. Stealthed the whole way and drat was that atmospheric. When we arrived at the other end the pad was full of bots so we had to kite them out, then my friend died so I had to run to collect his samples and got on the evac with literally less than a second to spare and red laser fire coming from all directions. Game loving owns

game has the insane propensity to produce moments like this on the regular

losing air support is one of the more amazing :ohdear: things in all of videogames

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Typical Pubbie posted:

They need to tone down the ragdolling a bit. It was funny, but now it's frustrating to dive over a wall and have your character go limp after dropping 3 feet.

Yeah, for a force called The Helldivers, they really don't enjoy 'deep dives', including swimming for more than 5-10 seconds.

Orv
May 4, 2011

TheMostFrench posted:

Yeah, for a force called The Helldivers, they really don't enjoy 'deep dives', including swimming for more than 5-10 seconds.

There ain’t no gotdang water in hell, son, what you need to swim for anyhow?

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

veni veni veni posted:

Lol the laser drone is so fuckin op.

It’s loving incredible. Love comboing that with my gotta go fast armor and then try to split off at times to go knock out quick objectives. The laser dog plus a turret means you can handle a lot of the side objectives if you’re careful. That said, do not take the laser dog to a super high position with bugs below you, it’ll murder you trying to get to the bugs.

My new favorite way to kill chargers is to throw the reinforcement call onto their backs since it sticks for some reason.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

I wonder if they might ever do like underground or inside structure stuff and how that would work. I suppose just do a deep rock galactic and attach a giant drill to the bottom of the pod. Game is fun as hell but I'm having problems getting buttons to work so I can change fire rates or switch between first and 3rd person aiming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Anybody happen to have some more experience with the orbital gas strike, and whether the gas actually does enough damage to kill stuff on its own? I thought it'd be great for plugging bug breaches, but I can't really tell whether it actually kills anything or it's just my teammates shooting them up before the gas can have an effect.