Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

ROFLburger posted:

is /r/tarkov worth following? i popped in to see what people thought of the patch and i can't tell if the patch is a piece of poo poo or if this is one of those subreddits where everything sucks and nothing is ever good

/r/EscapefromTarkov is the main sub and completely insufferable. It's not unlikely to come across a 5k upvoted post because of ui pixel misaligned by literally one pixel and everyone freaking out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
If we want Tarkov to live a long life, I don't see how buying the game once per client back in 2017 is supposed to keep it running. There's a finite number of new players as the game gets older. Stash upgrade won't help anyone kill you better in the match, but gives that influx of money into the product. It's fine in my book.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

ROFLburger posted:

is /r/tarkov worth following? i popped in to see what people thought of the patch and i can't tell if the patch is a piece of poo poo or if this is one of those subreddits where everything sucks and nothing is ever good

/r/tarkov is the sub that broke off from the main one because slurs aren't allowed in the original one.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
uninstalling since snow, sks, and scavving were the only reason i was playing this game. have fun with your m4 caressing simulator

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn
The micro transactions are probably to recoup the cost they sunk on development of their first DLC Arena where they proceeded to take everything fun about Tarkov and strip it out and try to resell it to e-sports players who never asked for it.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
how many DLC did the BTR cost to add

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Psycho Society posted:

uninstalling since snow, sks, and scavving were the only reason i was playing this game. have fun with your m4 caressing simulator

this patch is really more of an all-singing, all-dancing celebration of the AUG where 5.56 is concerned

(seriously, its very cheap and the base recoil and ergo stats are ridiculous, there's very little reason to run anything else even with the middling ROF)

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

oh poo poo yeah i meant /r/escapefromTarkov

e: jesus woods looks so much better with the summer theme

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Haveing the scav join bug is really hurting me as my survival rate on my PMC is abysmal as I use it to scav in and get stuff for me. I am dangerously close to being broke

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
i just assume every scav main has literally like 200 kits tucked away

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Stevefin posted:

Haveing the scav join bug is really hurting me as my survival rate on my PMC is abysmal as I use it to scav in and get stuff for me. I am dangerously close to being broke

if you need a good, albeit boring, money run for your PMC try nighttime shoreline - it's worse now that there isn't snow (you could get away with flashlight only, now you probably want to run cheap NVG as that map sometimes gets dark), but depending on which side you spawn on you can clean out either the lower village or the smuggler camp and then exfil without ever crossing the centerline and going through chokepoints/quest locations/pvp hotspots (you take road to lighthouse on the west side and the 5k car ride on the east)

just hug the map edge as you make your way towards your loot spot (if you didn't spawn in the village proper), fill up you backpack/vest with items worth 10k+ per slot to flea or traders (mechanism backpack is good here for size + not stacking/having an annoying layout, so in the unlikely event you die you've got decent odds of getting it back via insurance), and then head for the exit - you'll earn north of 500k in a 10-15m run (maybe more like 20 if you're slow/cautious in the village as you have a more finnicky layout with a lot of additional containers to open)

smuggler camp is definitely much better loot and faster (since stuff is just lying in the open), but is somewhat higher risk as you're more likely to encounter someone with the same idea + may have a risky field crossing if you got a poor spawn and arrive late, village is slower and less rewarding but safer as its of little interest to most people and you'll definitely still fill your bag (and are giving yourself a lot of chances to get a lucky roll on a Sports bag)

it takes a moderate initial investment in gear (NVG + large bag + silenced weapon for scav removal + gear set so you can at least consider pvp if someone else goes directly to smugglers camp) and its deliberately unexciting so I emphatically don't recommend you do it routinely after you've got a cushion, but I've found it to be a pretty consistent way to create that cushion

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

https://twitter.com/tarkov/status/1757362267237105687

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

talking out of both sides of their mouth here. is it gamebreaking bugs, or is it community backlash to nerfs?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
only thing that didnt seem to be working was scavving afaict, but also the other times that scavving has broken has been at the same time that there were some other massive bugs in the game (eg the invisible players bug) so who knows what all was going on

I don't think there'd been enough time for there to really be a proper backlash to nerfs, especially not over pistols and smgs late wipe

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
I will be very sad if they do to SMGs what they did to pistols

Jakosa
Dec 28, 2021
The patch was a couple hundred MB and the rollback is 24 GB. With my crappy Internet, that means no Tarkov for me today :(

tehgrif
Apr 3, 2009

Hooplah posted:

talking out of both sides of their mouth here. is it gamebreaking bugs, or is it community backlash to nerfs?

Probably both honestly, the performance drops were insane even on high end systems and the pistol changes had bullets firing a foot above the irons.

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

Hooplah posted:

They apparently hosed up ballistics/armor pretty bad too:

https://twitter.com/food_eft/status/1757255147045175329

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Jakosa posted:

The patch was a couple hundred MB and the rollback is 24 GB. With my crappy Internet, that means no Tarkov for me today :(

65 MB here

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
They also broke tender culling. It was the worst on Streets.

Jakosa
Dec 28, 2021

giZm posted:

65 MB here

What? Why is mine 24 GB?

24 GB is the complete game, isn't it?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Jakosa posted:

What? Why is mine 24 GB?

24 GB is the complete game, isn't it?

Whole game is 40 GB on my machine.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

thats what i thought.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I did not update so I hope there is no rollback.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

is it supposed to be difficult to tell player scavs from PMCs? my scavs runs that are ended by PMCs killing me often happen way before i can tell if the player is even a friendly scav

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

In the beginning, yes. You'll develop the ability to make that determination quicker with time.

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

ROFLburger posted:

is it supposed to be difficult to tell player scavs from PMCs? my scavs runs that are ended by PMCs killing me often happen way before i can tell if the player is even a friendly scav

Eventually you'll just learn the different scav skins but before then the two easiest ways to tell are armbands and to a lesser extent, pistol holsters. Scavs will never have an armband, so if you see one it is 100% a PMC. Pistol holsters aren't quite as sure of a thing, but there are only 1 or 2 scav skins with pistol holsters while almost every PMC leg option has one.

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:

Jakosa posted:

It's weird that I enjoy regain raids the most. The fear of losing my gear cramps my games when I go in fully kitted.

How do you guys handle that? Do you end up not caring at some point?

It's just a video game. Use the cool gun and enjoy it while you have it, if you die, whatever.

Use kit and make money with it? Or have it sit there taking up room in the stash for no reason?

It's just some gear, you can get it back easily.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
you have to play multiple wipes to realize youre not gonna use at least half your stuff imo

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

LGD posted:

if you need a good, albeit boring, money run for your PMC try nighttime shoreline - it's worse now that there isn't snow (you could get away with flashlight only, now you probably want to run cheap NVG as that map sometimes gets dark), but depending on which side you spawn on you can clean out either the lower village or the smuggler camp and then exfil without ever crossing the centerline and going through chokepoints/quest locations/pvp hotspots (you take road to lighthouse on the west side and the 5k car ride on the east)

just hug the map edge as you make your way towards your loot spot (if you didn't spawn in the village proper), fill up you backpack/vest with items worth 10k+ per slot to flea or traders (mechanism backpack is good here for size + not stacking/having an annoying layout, so in the unlikely event you die you've got decent odds of getting it back via insurance), and then head for the exit - you'll earn north of 500k in a 10-15m run (maybe more like 20 if you're slow/cautious in the village as you have a more finnicky layout with a lot of additional containers to open)

smuggler camp is definitely much better loot and faster (since stuff is just lying in the open), but is somewhat higher risk as you're more likely to encounter someone with the same idea + may have a risky field crossing if you got a poor spawn and arrive late, village is slower and less rewarding but safer as its of little interest to most people and you'll definitely still fill your bag (and are giving yourself a lot of chances to get a lucky roll on a Sports bag)

it takes a moderate initial investment in gear (NVG + large bag + silenced weapon for scav removal + gear set so you can at least consider pvp if someone else goes directly to smugglers camp) and its deliberately unexciting so I emphatically don't recommend you do it routinely after you've got a cushion, but I've found it to be a pretty consistent way to create that cushion

Ha, this is pretty much what I have been doing recently. After doing so many tasks on shoreline I found a few deec loot spots, weather station, the smuggler town, etc and doing exactly what you said, coming at night and extracting using the vehicle or lighthouse.

I’m not sure how, but I somehow got my monitor/graphics setting set so that night time basically doesn’t matter to me. In the snow especially I could still make out a scav/PMC in the distance without a light of any kind. I really dunno how I managed this, I spent a long time loving with my settings unsuccessfully, for a while I was blind as hell even in a dark building, but I loaded up a night raid last week and realized I wasn’t blind anymore lol.

I’ll have to see if I can still do night runs without the snow, it’s kinda cheap but I’ll take it to slightly increase my survival lol.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Psycho Society posted:

you have to play multiple wipes to realize youre not gonna use at least half your stuff imo

I'm finally at a point where I'm just selling any gun I can buy because... well, I can buy it. Why waste the space holding onto it? Especially if it isn't in my normal rotation or required for a quest like svds.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

i vomit kittens posted:

Eventually you'll just learn the different scav skins but before then the two easiest ways to tell are armbands and to a lesser extent, pistol holsters. Scavs will never have an armband, so if you see one it is 100% a PMC. Pistol holsters aren't quite as sure of a thing, but there are only 1 or 2 scav skins with pistol holsters while almost every PMC leg option has one.

I like to look at their feet. Nasty dirty shoes are scavs, boots are PMCs

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

El Jebus posted:

I'm finally at a point where I'm just selling any gun I can buy because... well, I can buy it. Why waste the space holding onto it? Especially if it isn't in my normal rotation or required for a quest like svds.

I swear like 50% of my in game time is playing inventory Tetris and cross referencing items on the wiki to see if I need them for quests and then vendors and flea to see if I can rebuy it and who it’s best to sell to.

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM

El Jebus posted:

The only one that has bit me is selling an RSASS and then later having to trade a ton of dog tags for one to complete a gunsmith quest.

The list of prohibited flea items is quite long and interesting.
https://www.ggrecon.com/guides/escape-from-tarkov-flea-market-banned-items-list/

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

causticBeet posted:

I swear like 50% of my in game time is playing inventory Tetris and cross referencing items on the wiki to see if I need them for quests and then vendors and flea to see if I can rebuy it and who it’s best to sell to.

click on the quest items reference image at the bottom of this page:

https://escapefromtarkov.fandom.com/wiki/Quests

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn
It would be nice if BSG even took two seconds to look at sptarkov QOL mods and put them in the game so you don't have to use a wiki for everything like that.

The "more check marks" mod is such a game changer to be able to mouse over items in raid and see what quests they go to and how many you need or what they can be bartered for or how many you have back in storage out of raid.

Jakosa
Dec 28, 2021
I'm having a really hard time spotting people, now that the snow is gone. But it's just a me thing, because other people don't have any problems spotting me.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

It would be nice if BSG even took two seconds to look at sptarkov QOL mods and put them in the game so you don't have to use a wiki for everything like that.

The "more check marks" mod is such a game changer to be able to mouse over items in raid and see what quests they go to and how many you need or what they can be bartered for or how many you have back in storage out of raid.

I like the current balance: you're rewarded for thinking ahead and you only have to look up that list of quest items once per season, and you still get the tension in-raid of trying to figure out what to grab and having to remember what hideout items you need. Not saving every quest item in advance also does not hinder progression all that much because the main limiting thing on most early questing is just # of raids run and there's nearly always something productive you can be doing while looking for whatever items you need currently.

IMO the early progression friction is actually good. Marking specifically the items you need for tasks you're currently on is better than marking every single item that is ever needed for quests. Hideout items are only a thing for 15 levels anyways, so either memorize the first few upgrades or just write them down on a piece of paper, it's not that hard

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Feb 15, 2024

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

Jakosa posted:

I'm having a really hard time spotting people, now that the snow is gone. But it's just a me thing, because other people don't have any problems spotting me.

You are moving and they aren’t

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
Does nobody use Tarkov tracker? It'll tell you what you need, just check before your raid.