Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I've been doing a few services with ads lately because it's so much cheaper and I am much more bothered by the implementation of ads than the act of watching ads in itself. Hulu just plays the same ads over and over 70% is pharma poo poo that just stresses me out. Some of the ads are in spanish for some reason. But more than anything it's just the same loving ads over and over. If there was some variety I probably wouldn't even have a problem with them just like I didn't when I watched over the air TV. The way they just pipe the same ads to you over and over feels pretty dystopian. Also I don't think they are having the desired effect because I just hate every company that advertises with Hulu. Every time I drive by a BMO bank I quietly give it the finger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Upsidads posted:

https://youtu.be/gUgYOzubRpU?si=hsLrU6AnXckK9eev
YouTube has some great stuff
HP lovekraft and Poe adaptation with Vincent Price?
Yes please

This one is funny. Its basically just an adaptation of The Strange Case of Charles Dexter Ward, but since Lovecraft was still extremely obscure at that point they call it an adaptation of an Edgar Allen Poe film. I think the only things that make it Edgar Allen Poe related was the title and a quote from the poem.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Medullah posted:

I thought it was cute and had some enjoyable stuff, and would have been a nice two episode mini-series follow up from Ms. Marvel, but as a full feature it was lacking. Kamala was great, honestly the best casting in the MCU in my opinion since Tony.

Yeah, it should have been a Disney+ holiday special.

Also, it's very obviously been stripped down to the bones with editing and reshoots. It's a good 30/40 minutes shorter than most Marvel flicks and it doesn't feel like it was concieved as such. I get the sense that it was supposed to have a shaggier hang out vibe where we watch the leads and their supporting casts play off each other at greater length in different combinations*, and at some point** the suits decided that this made it feel even more like a TV special than the end product ultimately does and retooled it into something more propulsive.

* I would not be surprised if this call was made after the success of Thor 3
** Probably after the poor reception of Thor 4

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Feb 11, 2024

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

IShallRiseAgain posted:

This one is funny. Its basically just an adaptation of The Strange Case of Charles Dexter Ward, but since Lovecraft was still extremely obscure at that point they call it an adaptation of an Edgar Allen Poe film. I think the only things that make it Edgar Allen Poe related was the title and a quote from the poem.

As far as I can find it's the first feature length adaptation of any Lovecraft story. Roger Corman was trying to take a break from making Poe adaptations with this movie but his prior Poe movies were very successful so the studio forced him to slap on some Poe stuff in the title and opening credits so they could try and leverage that in the advertising.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The Descent available on Hulu has the lame-rear end North American ending, can confirm

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Flying Zamboni posted:

As far as I can find it's the first feature length adaptation of any Lovecraft story. Roger Corman was trying to take a break from making Poe adaptations with this movie but his prior Poe movies were very successful so the studio forced him to slap on some Poe stuff in the title and opening credits so they could try and leverage that in the advertising.

There was one Spanish movie before it called Mark of the Dead Man. Its also an adaptation of The Strange Case of Charles Dexter Ward.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
anything I should make sure to check out on Paramount+ / Showtime? Signed up for a trial in order to watch the super bowl and am only utilizing it for Star Trek at the moment.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Glottis posted:

anything I should make sure to check out on Paramount+ / Showtime? Signed up for a trial in order to watch the super bowl and am only utilizing it for Star Trek at the moment.

Beavis & Butthead movie and new season. Somehow still funny as hell.

I think showtime has Yellowjackets which is silly fun.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
If you're a Nathan Fielder, The Curse is Showtime. I loved it but a lot of people didn't

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
EVIL

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Ghosts is fun.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Glottis posted:

Seconding both The Curse and the new Beavis and Butthead series and movie.

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.
I don't *think* I've shilled Dropout here, so I'll say that Game Changer is back and it's still amazing.

They do a once-every-two-weeks release schedule, so you may want to hold off to get the most out of a trial or something.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I just watched Across the Spiderverse on Netflix and holy poo poo they are knocking it out of the park with these movies. The rest of the MCU needs to take notes

mystes
May 31, 2006

Field Mousepad posted:

I just watched Across the Spiderverse on Netflix and holy poo poo they are knocking it out of the park with these movies. The rest of the MCU needs to take notes
I believe the reason it doesn't suck is that it wasn't made by Marvel

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Well that makes sense

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

mystes posted:

just don't read too much about the working conditions it was made under

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

smackfu posted:

Ghosts is fun.

I don’t believe you. The ad during the super bowl was absolutely horrific and I never want to spend another minute in that world

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
Try watching the original UK version of Ghosts instead.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Glottis posted:

I picked up Detroiters and I’m loving it

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

mystes posted:

counterpoint rest of sonys solo marvel endeavors

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

a sexual elk posted:

I picked up Detroiters and I’m loving it

It's so good

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Two 30 for 30s (one about the Buffalo Bills of the early '90s, one about Ric Flair) just showed up on Netflix.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Glottis posted:

Twin Peaks: The Return (though the streaming quality isn't 100% consistent and it kinda shows). And I think they've got the original up there too.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Medullah posted:

If you're a Nathan Fielder, The Curse is Showtime. I loved it but a lot of people didn't

I’m more of a Nathan catcher if I’m being honest

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

DeimosRising posted:

I’m more of a Nathan catcher if I’m being honest

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Nice, in addition to the ads Amazon has gimped streaming quality if you don't pay them more.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Which service is actually worth anything? I'm mooching Hulu and prime, but if I paid for one it would probably be Apple

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

They jacked CD prices up to 17.99 and limewire/kazzaa/napster happened. Most people had dial up. Now we've all got VPNs riding our fiber lines. Crazy they are trying to push it again.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

magiccarpet posted:

They jacked CD prices up to 17.99 and limewire/kazzaa/napster happened. Most people had dial up. Now we've all got VPNs riding our fiber lines. Crazy they are trying to push it again.

It’s so dumb. I’ve been happily paying for Amazon video for years and stuff like this will not only keep me from paying more, but also push me towards canceling the service outright.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Inspector Hound posted:

Which service is actually worth anything? I'm mooching Hulu and prime, but if I paid for one it would probably be Apple

I hopped on Apple a couple months ago and it's pretty decent. Their catalog is pretty shallow, but it does have a fair amount of good stuff in there. At this rate I'll probably have exhausted it in another month or so and will be cancelling then, but for the price I can't complain.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Feb 13, 2024

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
None of them have enough content to be worth paying for long term imo, so it only makes sense to keep subs to them if you don't like piracy

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Inspector Hound posted:

So far the ad-tier Amazon is acceptable -- a brief ad at the beginning of Mr a Mrs Smith -- since I'm paying for Prime anyway. Nothing about their catalog would make me pay for their shows right now.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Can someone explain Tubi to me? It’s like a plethora of original programming but it’s all filmed with the quality of sharknado and it makes it impossible to watch.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I think people who praise Tubi are picking movies from the catalog, not watching the faux TV stations packed with horrendous Asylum films garbage

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Tubi did a Terror Train remake.

i didn't see it, but they did it.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Pillowpants posted:

Can someone explain Tubi to me? It’s like a plethora of original programming but it’s all filmed with the quality of sharknado and it makes it impossible to watch.

Tubi, owned by Fox Corporation, is a FAST featuring content that the content's owners feel is worth more without a subscription. It's like Amazon's Freevee.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Tiny Timbs posted:

I think people who praise Tubi are picking movies from the catalog, not watching the faux TV stations packed with horrendous Asylum films garbage

Yeah the tubi catalogue scratches the "it's Saturday let's watch a lovely action movie on some obscure broadcast channel" itch that I get. Lots of more obscure movies that I'm not gonna pay money for but I would like to watch

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Tubi has a great bunch of straight to video 90s flicks. Just watched Never Talk To Strangers with Rebecca Demornay and Antonio Banderas and was blown away how awesome it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006
Watched The Third Man on Tubi last night. I'd have preferred no ads, but respect their having it at all.

Tubi's got the zither