Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mazerunner posted:

Im marrying a monster
Maybe she's making a go bag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

artsy fartsy posted:

But what about the boards?!

For a serious answer, I saw an Etsy shop once where they made game "boards" out of fabric, with drawstrings built in so the board closes up into a bag that holds the game pieces.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

mystes posted:

:golfclap:

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
A go bag full of cereal and board game pieces.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

artsy fartsy posted:

They should just mix all the board game pieces together, like cereal

Is that not what she's doing, it's either making a big sack of übergame or separately transporting a baggie of game pieces and an empty game box for each game to "save space" and I'm not sure which is more psychotic

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Feb 13, 2024

Tijuana-A-Go-Go
Aug 2, 2019

Doggles Aficionado

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Is that not what she's doing, it's either making a big sack of übergame or separately transporting a baggie of game pieces and an empty game box for each game to "save space" and I'm not sure which is more psychotic

She's putting the pieces from each board game into a separate baggie and putting all the baggies into one larger bag

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Maybe she's going to collapse all the empty boxes and reglue them.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Well duh you need some categorization or you'll never be able to sort out whether Velma subk your battleship with the candlestick on Boardwalk or B&O railroad

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Mazerunner posted:

Im marrying a monster

Is this really a terrible sin? We bought nice zipper bags for our kids' games and they take up a lot less space. Obviously ones that have large boards generally remained in the original container, but Candy Land does just fine being folded up in the bag.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Well duh you need some categorization or you'll never be able to sort out whether Velma subk your battleship with the candlestick on Boardwalk or B&O railroad

Suddenly remembered that my older cousins used Clue game pieces for Monopoly so it was not out of the ordinary to have the noose land on Ventnor Ave.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

wheatpuppy posted:

For a serious answer, I saw an Etsy shop once where they made game "boards" out of fabric, with drawstrings built in so the board closes up into a bag that holds the game pieces.

You can't drop a nugget like this without a link.

BrideOfUglycat
Oct 30, 2000

Hughlander posted:

AITA for asking wife to abort 1 twin

I desperately want this to be fake. The complete lack of education, Alabama, the confidence that they are so smart they should homeschool... Please, dear god, let this be fake.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
r/relationships: Scooby Doo Clue belongs in the Scooby Doo Clue box

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Nocheez posted:

Is this really a terrible sin? We bought nice zipper bags for our kids' games and they take up a lot less space. Obviously ones that have large boards generally remained in the original container, but Candy Land does just fine being folded up in the bag.

Could you PM me your address? I’m not sure which state’s department of child welfare I need to be contacting.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
The Candyland women were like gorgeous drag royalty, if you'd taken away my access to even a single image of them as a child, I would have been furious.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Pope Corky the IX posted:

A go bag full of cereal and board game pieces.

Go stones belong in the Go bag

Nocheez posted:

I get it, because people like to show off their board game collections. But if its just monopoly or scooby clue, then yeah, maybe save some space instead.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
A failure of marketing that it wasn't named Scooby Dooby Clue

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Neito posted:

You can't drop a nugget like this without a link.

Sadly I don't think that store is around anymore. I did a quick Google and found several fabric Monopoly versions, but none with the drawstring.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Monopoly belongs in the trash though

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!

mystes posted:

That's why it's so egregious imo. You have to not know that the seasons work that way to even entertain the idea that it works like what the teacher said for a second, and this was a math teacher who specifically brought this topic up in a lesson, so I would expect them to have that basic knowledge or at least to have googled it before making some poo poo up. If it was English class or something and the student brought it up and the teacher just didn't believe them I think it would be a bit more understandable.

My high school physics teacher mislabeled the legs on a right triangle during the unit on force vectors. When multiple students questioned it, he argued with us for about 5 minutes that we were wrong, and finally ended the conversation with 'well, in special circumstances the hypotenuse of a right triangle is not the longest leg', rather than just relabel the drat example on the blackboard.

It was infuriating. Just, you know. Casually redefining geometry. NBD.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Space Kablooey posted:

Monopoly belongs in the trash though

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for revoking my room mates’s kid’s privilege of using my cookware?

quote:

I (24m) have been living with my roommate (48m) for the last two and a half years. About a year ago, his son (18) moved in. My roommate is a bit unorganized and messy; he also doesn’t have any cookware because he eats out every day. I, however, have (or had) a large collection of nice cookware, and enjoy a clean and organized environment. Ever since I moved in, I have cleaned up after my roommate because his messes were manageable and I didn’t mind.

His son, on the other hand, likes to use metal utensils on my non-stick pans which has left gouges and manages to get spaghetti sauce absolutely everywhere when he cooks. It looks like an EF-5 tornado hit the kitchen every time he steps foot in it. Sometimes he’ll “clean” my dishes, but his idea of cleaning is using a dirty scrub daddy with sink salad all up in it and rubbing it all over my stuff.

Often times I find my “cleaned” dishes smelling suspicious, with dried out food glued to them or they’re just completely dirty stacked up in a sink full of moldy dish water. I have asked his son several times to clean up after himself when he makes a mess and especially when he’s using my things. I have taken my cookware away before, and my roommate completely lost it; he got in my face while screaming and basically said “he’s just a kid” and I should be cleaning up after him.

I put my dishes back; it has been months of cleaning up after this kid and there has been no effort on his behalf to change his behavior. My roommate has been on vacation for the last month and will not be returning for another month. The issue has become worse since he left, and tonight I have taken my cookware away for good.

AITA?

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
Scooby Dooby Clue where are you
You're in the same box as Payday
And if we want to play some Scooby Clue
We have to use parts from Sorry

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Prism posted:

I've seen a 'hard mode' puzzle that was white. Just solid white edge to edge. No variation. No hints. You had to do everything by piece shape.

I don't understand people who do that for fun, and I actually like jigsaw puzzles.

i did this one during the pandemic:

it’s small but you also can’t tell which side is the top or bottom.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

i did this one during the pandemic:

it’s small but you also can’t tell which side is the top or bottom.

Wow, covid really hosed us all up.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Mx. posted:

AITA for revoking my room mates’s kid’s privilege of using my cookware?

YTA for being such a pushover. It doesn't even sound like the rent is being split 3 ways, they've been cleaning up after both their roommates and letting the son destroy cookware for months. Should be calling the landlord or moving out rather than posting on reddit.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Yeah most of us baked that quarantine focaccia instead

Eshettar
May 9, 2013

*whispers*

yospos, bithc
AITA for refusing to accept my sons relationship with his step-sister?

quote:

Some backstory, when my son Nathan was 2, he met a friend in his daycare class, who we'll call Abby. Her dad, Jack, was one of the only other single parents there as his wife had left after Abby was born. Jack and I bonded over our children and ended up dating for a year and a half before getting married, and we had our daughter Eliza less than a year later.

Jack and I always raised all three of our children the same, and though they knew that Nathan had a different dad and Abby had a different mum, we had never thought to question if they saw each other as siblings.

Then, last week, Abby and Nathan sat Jack and I down and told us that they had something important to say. Abby started in about how for the past few years her and Jack had been in a romantic relationship. She said that it happened after they were both adults, that they had gone to relationship counselling when it first started and that they were seriously thinking about marriage. Nathan then told us that they had admitted to having feelings for each other as teenagers, but had never acted on it because they were afraid of ruining their friendship, hurting each other, and most of all what we would think.

At this point, Jack looked at me, grabbed my hand and hugged our children. He told them that he was sorry for us keeping them apart and that he 'could tell how happy they are together'. I just got up and left.

Where I might be the rear end in a top hat:

My husband is right, they do look happy together. In fact, I've never seen my son or daughter happier. But I just can't accept this. I haven't responded to any of their messages or calls, and pretended I wasn't home when they tried to visit during the day. I've been fighting with Jack since this happened, even so far as telling him that if it were my choice they would never have my blessing, and I would put them both in therapy for having incestuous desires. This really upset him, and the fighting got so bad that I had him sleep in the guest house. I've never gone this long without talking to my children. I've never fought my husband. I have no idea how to navigate this, and every time I think about it their whole relationship just makes me sick and angry. That being said, I know I'm hurting my children. I know I'm hurting my husband.

Where Jack might be the rear end in a top hat:

Since Abby and Nathan told us of their relationship, Jack has been going on tirades about how unsupportive I am, about how bad of a mother I am, and about how I didn't do this to Eliza (she's gay, and he's been comparing her and her girlfriends relationship to Nathan and Abby's). He's even threatened me with divorce, how he would get full custody of Eliza (she's 17) and how he would "take me to the cleaners" if I didn't accept our children. He hasn't talked to Nathan or Abby about my reaction, but he has threatened to.

So, reddit. Am I the rear end in a top hat?

EDIT: Both of my children have admitted the therapist did not know they were raised together, at all

EDIT 2: Sorry, it’s getting hard to respond to everyone. Yes, we are going into therapy together. No, I’m not still ignoring my children

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

icecastle posted:

People like you is why there is an exodus from teaching .

so you support teaching kids incorrect things as a joke and then punishing them for asking insightful questions?

you shouldn’t be teaching.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Hopes Fall posted:

My high school physics teacher mislabeled the legs on a right triangle during the unit on force vectors. When multiple students questioned it, he argued with us for about 5 minutes that we were wrong, and finally ended the conversation with 'well, in special circumstances the hypotenuse of a right triangle is not the longest leg', rather than just relabel the drat example on the blackboard.

It was infuriating. Just, you know. Casually redefining geometry. NBD.
I'm sympathetic to teachers making mistakes even when teaching something they've taught a bunch of times before because teachers are human and humans make mistakes and sometimes our brains skip over things and get them really wrong even when we should know better. I think the thing that gets to me is when they can't admit they've made a mistake. Like your teacher couldn't just look it up and go 'oh, thanks for pointing that out' and relabel the example on the blackboard and continue on with the lesson. I think sometimes with teachers it's because bad teachers think if they ever let themselves be corrected they lose all authority or something?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

mystes posted:

booo

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

DemoneeHo posted:

Yeah most of us baked that quarantine focaccia instead

Okay, so what is this euphemism? I’m getting old.

Ulthar
Aug 14, 2007

My parents are deeaaaaaaad!!!

A lot of people who had never made bread made some bread while they were bored at home during the initial quarantine

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

People got super into baking bread during the pandemic. That's it.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Just make sure you don't have multiple buns in the oven or it's going to take a while

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Overthinking it, it isn't a euphemism.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Lol at everyone not knowing about quarantine focaccia :allears:

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Focaccia is the gateway drug to making bread, and the biggest impediment to baking your own bread is the semi-attended time it takes.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Focaccia is the gateway drug to making bread, and the biggest impediment to baking your own bread is the semi-attended time it takes.

Soon you'll be meeting a strange man in a trenchcoat in some back alley to buy some sourdough starter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Eshettar posted:

AITA for refusing to accept my sons relationship with his step-sister?

loving yikes

We've seen versions of this where everything was above board, but this is decidedly :barf: