Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Nichael posted:

Did people not understand marketing in the 1980s or what
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHERRdRVxF0&t=45s

I can just picture Rich Evans slouching on the couch watching this with an annoyed look on his face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

fear not the tacos new englander

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Madame Web is a period piece.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

War and Pieces posted:

the rewards and punishments are just being closer and farther away from gods light it's pretty simple and not nearly as goofy as what you're imagining. Idk why the immortable soul needs to be substained or even aware of that tho.

except "being closer to gods light" is actually pretty drat ambiguous and not simple at all so people gotta fill in the gaps with something

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Please talk about Christianity through the lens of pop culture aka Zach Snyder movies thank you

does Kevin smith's Dogma hold up? Last saw when I was a teenager

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
I’m still hung up on immortable wondering if it might be some crypto-messalian thing

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Please talk about Christianity through the lens of pop culture aka Zach Snyder movies thank you

Batman becomes the first born again Christian vampire through the sacrifice of Superman and finds redemption in saving Martha, it's basic SMG

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

ram dass in hell posted:

does Kevin smith's Dogma hold up? Last saw when I was a teenager

theres a demon made of poo poo from a toilet lol

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Al! posted:

I'd call that a big yes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Al! posted:

Belphegor?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Al! posted:

I thought it was bad enough that people don't realize their food comes from a farm, not a super market, and now it turns out they don't even know poo poo comes from their rear end.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

loquacius posted:

Why are people acting like thinking Christian Hell involves torture by demons is a reddit atheist thing

Most people think that is what Christian Hell is, the official position of the church notwithstanding. When Homer Simpson sells his soul to the Devil, he is force-fed all the donuts in the world, not distanced from God's love

The Reddit Athiest and the Simpsons Hell Believer are two sides of the same coin

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Nichael posted:

on accounta all the broads in it, am i right?

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Nichael posted:

https://twitter.com/AshCrossan/stat...4765c41f66c6ed5

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Yeah the idea of approaching religion with any kind of philosophy, critical thinking or non pop culture literalism is extremely niche in the Western world, especially among Christians. They genuinely believe in fire and brimstone Hell where everyone they don't like is brutally tortured for all eternity. That's what religion is.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
a guy at work yesterday was complaining about all of the satanism taylor swift's friends were doing at the superbowl

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

a guy at work yesterday was complaining about all of the satanism taylor swift's friends were doing at the superbowl

swift haters make her seem so much cooler than she actually is

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Al! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRSbB2Eau74

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Srice posted:

swift haters make her seem so much cooler than she actually is

Chuds always make the stuff they hate sound cool. They think, like, Sesame Street is communist propaganda

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

loquacius posted:

Chuds always make the stuff they hate sound cool. They think, like, Sesame Street is communist propaganda

You do have a tendency to do that. I agree

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

You do have a tendency to do that. I agree

I'm melting down at this

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god's blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
could it be that a "deal with the devil" is a metaphor for selling out one's principles and values for the sake of fleeting material gain?

no, it is a real contract you sign with your blood at a crossroads with a red guy that magically makes you better at something

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
take this crap to the religion thread

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

tristeham posted:

religion is pop culture in america bitch

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

could it be that a "deal with the devil" is a metaphor for selling out one's principles and values for the sake of fleeting material gain?

no, it is a real contract you sign with your blood at a crossroads with a red guy that magically makes you better at something

tbf that's pretty metal

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Does the TV series Supernatural ever acknowledge the existence of Jesus Christ

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

tristeham posted:

writing a v sternly worded letter to those flying spaghetti monster fedoras Joel and Ethan Coen for the blatant misinterpretation of Catholic dogma in O Brother Where Art Thou. It will have many citations

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Atrocious Joe posted:

They fight, like, werewolves and poo poo, right, does holding up a cross at them do anything

e: actually knowing what I do about that fandom I really hope they never fight werewolves specifically

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Atrocious Joe posted:

Not by name but there's a character that's heavily implied to be Jesus.

e. Also, I didn't watch past Season 5 so it may well be that Jesus the Vampire Slayer turns up in like Season 27 or something.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Be a Good Boy.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

every couple years I check out new worship music because that poo poo is wild

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

i say swears online posted:

have they ever topped Creed

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

i say swears online posted:

Back when I was in Hollywood I went to the same church Issa Rae went to and their musical performances were 🔥🔥🔥

Drummer was a divine instrument of god channeling beats straight into my heart. I miss it

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

loquacius posted:

have they ever topped Creed

they never topped Jesus Christ Superstar

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

docbeard posted:

Not by name but there's a character that's heavily implied to be Jesus.

Did they kill them? The two brothers seemed to kill most thing, so feel like they probably did.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

KirbyKhan posted:

Back when I was in Hollywood I went to the same church Issa Rae went to and their musical performances were 🔥🔥🔥

Drummer was a divine instrument of god channeling beats straight into my heart. I miss it

I put up with a LOT of bad preaching and teaching when I was younger in exchange for people who were actually halfway good at music leading worship services.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Atrocious Joe posted:

Yes. He was never depicted, but was mentioned.

Going by what I've seen of the show. I don't think they could have ever had him appear on screen without causing a huge ruckus. The pagan deities in the supernatural universe are all beings created by God before man and to lord over man. Jesus overthrew that balance with his birth. It could be said that Jesus, in the context of the show, would have been an algamation of a pagan deity and a human created by God to reset the table.

God in the show is a big dick.

Mr Hootington has issued a correction as of 15:40 on Feb 13, 2024

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Jesus isn't in the show but he's implied to exist and God does exist with a human avatar on earth so that's pretty much Jesus anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

War and Pieces posted:

they never topped Jesus Christ Superstar

Yes they did

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0407319/