Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Mr. Sunshine posted:

Vitamin D deficency has to get pretty goddamn bad to kill you. It mostly just makes you feel like poo poo. Dark-skinned people in Scandinavia absolutely need supplementary vitamin D, and it's a fairly well-known issue for like african immigrants that they don't get by with just the stuff we put in regular food.

This is why I have created a sausage containing all vitamin-D rich foods, called "The Big D". Just gobble down at least one Big D a day and you'll feel amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Brawnfire posted:

This is why I have created a sausage containing all vitamin-D rich foods, called "The Big D". Just gobble down at least one Big D a day and you'll feel amazing.
As a brown in Scandinavia do NOT fall for this Yakubian propaganda!!! It does NOT work!!!!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I posted this in ADTRW but this thread deserves to see them too.

My fellow goons, let me present A History of the World in Poorly-Done Manga Portraits.

All your favorites are here: Uwu Cleopatra, a dozen or so Brian Blessed characters, Henry David Lincoln, Song Dynasty Groyper, Gendo Marat, Robert Z'Hitler, and many more!
This is the greatest piece of art I have ever seen

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Dr Tenma vibes from Lincoln there.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

This is the greatest piece of art I have ever seen

It is pretty good, isn't it? I'm now slightly obsessed with trying to figure out who some of those dudes are supposed to be. Like the goober underneath Napoleon. I think it's supposed to be Marshal Ney but I just don't know. You got any clue about that one?

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I posted this in ADTRW but this thread deserves to see them too.

My fellow goons, let me present A History of the World in Poorly-Done Manga Portraits.

Bill & Ted's Bizarre Adventure

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Here's a japanese collection of art about the american revolution from the mid 1800s

https://archive.wul.waseda.ac.jp/kosho/bunko11/bunko11_a0380/bunko11_a0380_0002/bunko11_a0380_0002.html

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

getting this as my yakuza back piece as we speak:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

NoiseAnnoys posted:

getting this as my yakuza back piece as we speak:

:stwoon:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Milo and POTUS posted:

Here's a japanese collection of art about the american revolution from the mid 1800s

https://archive.wul.waseda.ac.jp/kosho/bunko11/bunko11_a0380/bunko11_a0380_0002/bunko11_a0380_0002.html

"[...] mountain woman" on page 33, Pocahontas?

e: or maybe not if its only about the revolution

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Carthag Tuek posted:

"[...] mountain woman" on page 33, Pocahontas?

e: or maybe not if its only about the revolution

Maybe they misheard and it was "mountin' women", i.e. Ben Franklin.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Lobok posted:

Ben Franklin

That's what was bothering me about anime-Franklin. His eyes wouldn't be looking up - dude was an rear end man through and through.

Offler
Mar 27, 2010
The talk about vitamin D from sunlight in Scandinavian winters made me think of an anecdote from when I worked directly for the guy running the largest tanning booth chain in Norway. The guy was a vindictive prick, so I'll avoid mentioning his or the company's name even though any Norwegian already knows what company I'm talking about.

Anyway, during one of my first months working in the warehouse right below his office, he called all of the franchise holders from around the country to a meeting at a hotel in Bergen. I think it was a regular thing that happened every few years, but this year the boss had invited a university professor that had released a paper about vitamin D. I have no idea about the specifics of the paper, but it must have included some positive language about tanning beds since it was clear that the boss thought that this professor could in some way be helpful in getting the government off his back (Norway has one of the strictest limitations enforced on tanning beds of any country).

During the conference the professor stood in the middle of a large square of tables and spoke to all the franchisees in English - I guess a couple of the franchisees were foreign. The guy looked almost too much like a professor with his white hair and beard and old fashioned clothes, and he spoke in the thickest Norwegian accent I have ever heard, so the entire presentation was slightly humorous from the start. But the best part was looking at the boss's face when he started asking questions where he obviously hoped to get some answers about the benefits of tanning beds. It went something like this

The boss "So would you say that tanning beds can actually save people's lives"
The prof "Well let me put it this way, if [the company] had been around in the 18th century you would have saved thousands of lives every year"
The boss, looking mighty pleased "You don't say"
The prof, completely casual "You would have killed a couple of hundred people a year from skin cancer of course, but you would have saved tens of thousands from rickets."

Then my boss's face fell and he stayed grumpy for the rest of the day.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I absolutely blew off the vitamin D as some bullshit when I moved here but it is real. I’m on prescription grade D. It genuinely does help, especially if you have sadbrains.

Not doing that sun lamp nonsense though.

Offler posted:

The prof, completely casual "You would have killed a couple of hundred people a year from skin cancer of course, but you would have saved tens of thousands from rickets."

That reminds me, though Sweden specific. Maybe it’s due to who I hang out with but no one in Sweden really gives a poo poo about SPF?

Sweden has a high rate of skin cancer cases, like close to Australia levels, and the strength of the sun is weaker here. To be fair, skin cancer takes a while to show, but this country loves to tan by any means necessary, so I don’t think this rate is going to be getting any better. I’d have thought that more of a stink would be raised about sun protection but it mostly seems oriented toward kids.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

teen witch posted:

Why not?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

teen witch posted:

I absolutely blew off the vitamin D as some bullshit when I moved here but it is real. I’m on prescription grade D. It genuinely does help, especially if you have sadbrains.

That reminds me, though Sweden specific. Maybe it’s due to who I hang out with but no one in Sweden really gives a poo poo about SPF?

Sweden has a high rate of skin cancer cases, like close to Australia levels, and the strength of the sun is weaker here. To be fair, skin cancer takes a while to show, but this country loves to tan by any means necessary, so I don’t think this rate is going to be getting any better. I’d have thought that more of a stink would be raised about sun protection but it mostly seems oriented toward kids.

Swedish culture has a quiet underlying disdain for weakness. I do not expect anyone to believe that but I hope some are vibing with experiences. Moreover, it also has a love/hate thing for risk taking. The whole "nanny state" or the steady support for "protecting others from themselves" throughline can be argued as a societal reaction to that. And then the push back connecting to the first, "if he dies, he dies"
Prosaic unto ridiculousness it was Dolf who said it.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
Swedes long for sun-induced death. It's the only thing that keeps us going through the winter.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

I think you have to use them on a pretty strict schedule or they can mess up your sleep schedule.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
When Roald Dahl was a WW2 pilot, he and his comrades were flying a sortie against a Vichy airbase in what was then Vichy french mandate of Syria.

It was a sunday, and they saw the french pilots all just out in the open on the airfield with wine bottles and picnics next to their planes, entertaining girlfriends and assorted others and showing off their cool flying machines.

Dahl and friends buzzed by really obviously, making clear they were a british attack force, but didn't fire, giving plenty of time for everyone to run away before they blew up all the now-person-free enemy planes on the next pass.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

When Roald Dahl was a WW2 pilot, he and his comrades were flying a sortie against a Vichy airbase in what was then Vichy french mandate of Syria.

It was a sunday, and they saw the french pilots all just out in the open on the airfield with wine bottles and picnics next to their planes, entertaining girlfriends and assorted others and showing off their cool flying machines.

Dahl and friends buzzed by really obviously, making clear they were a british attack force, but didn't fire, giving plenty of time for everyone to run away before they blew up all the now-person-free enemy planes on the next pass.

il ne manque que ça

ScreenDoorThrillr
Jun 23, 2023

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

truly, the most French of aerial engagements

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

What can I say but dudes rock

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
He was probably trying to see whether the pilots were Jewish

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Soul Dentist posted:

He was probably trying to see whether the pilots were Jewish

It was a sunday in daylight, obvs he would have known

But for real though, that anecdote hits me bc my grandpa was a malgré-nous alsatian nazi soldier and my grandma other side was dragged out of France to spend her childhood in a death camp.

I appreciate Dahl and friends’, despite his ah, opinions about jewish people, choice to not blow up people compared to something like Mers-el-Kébir where a similar british air attack sent 1200+ french sailors down preemptively just in case the Vichy fleet decided to fight for the nazis.

Most of those poor saps probably didn’t know who they were supposed to be fighting before they steamed to Algeria and still didn’t until the RN pilots killed them.

It’s easy to say I would have simply never joined Vichy and immediately started fighting the nazis, but idk, you don’t get to be like “turn the battleship around I have decided I’m joining the ffi”

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I'm definitely not looking down my nose on wartime collaborators. It's a tightrope a lot of people had to walk and I couldn't say I'd necessarily be the hero

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
So, Simon Bolivar. El Libertador. A man of his age, one of the 'great men of history' and... as one could imagine... of a certain attitude towards relationships and women. As in, he had a number of affairs (although, there was a bit of... integrity to it? His wife of six months died early in his life, and he swore never to marry again) but, I am not writing about Simon, I'm using him as context for one of the people he was in a relationship with, i.e. Manuela Sáenz

Now, Manuela was a woman of distinction - a recognized sharpshooter and at one time, heading off a would-be-kill squad from Bolivar by herself and a sword. But the reason I wanted to mention her is that when they first met in Quito, she was quickly besotted... but unfortunately married at the time, to a British merchant. Nevertheless, she decided to follow her passion instead of social expectations and left her husband (not by divorce (although what church in South America would go through with that, so that is understandable)) with a nuclear-strike 'dear John' letter:

quote:

I do not live by social rules, invented only to torment. So leave me alone. . . . We will marry again when we are in heaven but not on earth. . . . You are boring, like your nation. . . . I will never return to you.

I mean, there's breaking up with someone, and then there's salting the earth!

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

queen

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Not wrong either

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

should've turned them collaborators into swiss cheese imo

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?
It's a shame you weren't there to show them how it's done tough guy. The hesitation was most certainly because of the presence of the women. Might as well hear it from the horse's mouth:

Roald Dahl posted:

Once we went out to ground-strafe some Vichy French planes on an airfield near Rayak and as we swept in surprise low over the field at midday we saw to our astonishment a bunch of girls in brightly coloured cotton dresses standing out by the planes with glasses in their hands having drinks with the French pilots, and I remember seeing bottles of wine standing on the wing of one of the planes as we went swooshing over. It was a Sunday morning and the Frenchmen were evidently entertaining their girlfriends and showing off their aircraft to them, which was a very French thing to do in the middle of a war at a front-line aerodrome. Every one of us held our fire on that first pass over the flying field and it was wonderfully comical to see the girls all dropping their wine glasses and galloping in their high heels for the door of the nearest building. We went round again, but this time we were no longer a surprise and they were ready for us with their ground defences, and I am afraid that our chivalry resulted in damage to several of our Hurricanes, including my own. But we destroyed five of their planes on the ground.
The same chapter also outlines Dahl's deep animosity towards the Vichy. It also has a description of his encounter with an early Jewish colonist which comes acrosse sympathetic despite his reputation for antisemitism.
Everything he writes should be taken with a large grain of salt because he's very much a storyteller not a journalist, and for any given anecdote there's a chance it either didn't happen, or didn't happen the way he describes it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The perfidious French punish a good deed yet again.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

The Sausages posted:

It's a shame you weren't there to show them how it's done tough guy. The hesitation was most certainly because of the presence of the women. Might as well hear it from the horse's mouth:

the nazis killed men women and children day in and day out, they don't deserve a warning flyby

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?
Imagine getting mad because Roald loving Dahl chose not to machine gun civilians one time

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Peanut President posted:

the nazis killed men women and children day in and day out, they don't deserve a warning flyby

Strange how some schoolbooks tell murderous nazis came in all kinds of nationalities except for american

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Onto another 'rubbing it in' piece of history; the CIA is notorious for trying a number of times to kill Fidel Castro, but possibly the most humiliating failure was when they attempted to recruit Marita Lorenz, an ex-lover of Castro, to poison him.

Now, Marita had been treated pretty goddamn awfully by Castro, so the CIA thought she could be reliable (or they were drugging each other into drooling insensibility with MKUltra, who could say), so she was given poison pills to drop into a drink when she was to meet Castro again, face-to-face.

Castro, however, was slightly suspicious of her coming out of the blue, so was on guard when she met him. He managed to get her to admit that she was there to kill him and then, in a move that would make Ian Fleming go 'no, that's too ridiculous, no-one would believe that this would happen to Bond', she confessed that she loved him still, threw down the poisons and made passionate love to him. He then went on to preform his scheduled speech later that day, while she returned to the CIA to report mission failure.

I mean, it's one thing when your agents fail. It's another thing when they fail THAT spectacularly.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I'd heard that he told her that nobody could kill him, and proved it by giving her a loaded gun and telling her to try. Then the passionate love making, etc.

It's a cool story lol

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
It’s just a spiteful hard line I draw.

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Strange how some schoolbooks tell murderous nazis came in all kinds of nationalities except for american
Where do you think the Nazis learned it from?
(we had German American Bund)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Samovar posted:

Onto another 'rubbing it in' piece of history; the CIA is notorious for trying a number of times to kill Fidel Castro, but possibly the most humiliating failure was when they attempted to recruit Marita Lorenz, an ex-lover of Castro, to poison him.

Now, Marita had been treated pretty goddamn awfully by Castro, so the CIA thought she could be reliable (or they were drugging each other into drooling insensibility with MKUltra, who could say), so she was given poison pills to drop into a drink when she was to meet Castro again, face-to-face.

Castro, however, was slightly suspicious of her coming out of the blue, so was on guard when she met him. He managed to get her to admit that she was there to kill him and then, in a move that would make Ian Fleming go 'no, that's too ridiculous, no-one would believe that this would happen to Bond', she confessed that she loved him still, threw down the poisons and made passionate love to him. He then went on to preform his scheduled speech later that day, while she returned to the CIA to report mission failure.

I mean, it's one thing when your agents fail. It's another thing when they fail THAT spectacularly.

CIA really shouldn‘t try any plots in Cuba that involve anything that even sounds like “bae”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Bae of Pigs would be a powerful username.