Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
https://i.imgur.com/mPMyFcy.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden
Okay I want one now

LookieLoo
Feb 10, 2011

Unperson_47 posted:

It's up to the individual state but most of them don't require mandatory inspections. My state got rid of that in the past 5 or so years, for example.

edit: Looks like more states require emission inspections than they do safety inspections.

Everytime I read something from the US, it sounds like you guys are just summoning actual demons from hell to run roughshod over humanity.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

LookieLoo posted:

Everytime I read something from the US, it sounds like you guys are just summoning actual demons from hell to run roughshod over humanity.

if u don't have our freedom u hate it..................

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

This owns bones

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

shoeberto posted:

I grew up in Ohio and was very much surprised to learn other states had inspections once I moved away. Apparently like 7 of the 88 counties have their own programs.

Always exciting to recontextualize childhood memories, like riding in the rear-facing pop up seats in the back of our station wagon, no seat belts, and apparently with zero emissions standards. And not entirely improbably burning leaded gasoline. Makes me homesick :qq: (edit this was the 90s)

When I was a kid, the driver's seat on my dad's GMC Safari van broke to the back just kinda flopped loose. He 'fixed' it by just turning the back seat around the the driver's seat rested on the back of the back seat.

Looking back it was dumb as hell, but the 500 mile road trip we took later that year rules because I could stretch out on our luggage the entire time.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Cthulu Carl posted:

Looking back it was dumb as hell, but the 500 mile road trip we took later that year rules because I could stretch out on our luggage the entire time.

We did about a 500 road trip with my family, my aunt's family, and a couple of my cousin's friends by removing the middle seat of the minivan and all us kids sat on the floor in the middle.

We did five people and luggage in a Polski Fiat for like 2.5 hours by us kids sitting on our parents' laps.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

holtemon posted:

Okay I want one now

Me too

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Less OSHA, but I have a hunch some people may appreciate this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cjw4Bzt1SOw

Sound required.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJVBlhgt9j8

Look at that guy on the crane. Cripes.

Antigravitas fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Feb 13, 2024

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Olewithmilk posted:

If you own a car in the UK, every year you have to take it to a garage and it has to pass a check-up saying its safe to drive. Is that not a thing is the US?

I'm in Alberta, Canada

I bought a car that had been sitting in a field for 16+ years with only a bill of sale.

I was able to get it insured($70/year) and registered($87/year) without anybody else having seen the car.

I'm not worried about myself because i work on my vehicles and inspect them when performing maintenance. Other people often do not, and do not get maintenance outside of drive-thru oil change places.

Hearing squealing brakes or seeing 30 year old trucks with sagging frames isn't an impossibility. This guy didn't hit anything. His ball joints just stopped jointing.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Khizan posted:

Texas is basically lights, wipers, brakes, and tires. Some counties have emissions testing, but not the one I’m in.

the last time I went for an inspection they wouldn't pass me because of my tint. I went to a different place down the street and passed no problem. but I think texas stopped requiring inspections now? guess I'll find out in a few months when I have to renew reg.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

that airburst is legit

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Tinted windows are OSHA as hell

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

No inspections of any sort in Kansas unless you buy a used car from another state, and that's just a case of taking it to the local PD and paying :20bux: to make sure it's not stolen.

The bitch is the sales tax on cars. Kansas is getting theirs regardless of where you buy it.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Uthor posted:

I moved to Peoria from the Chicagoland area and everyone was confused when I asked where to get an inspection and city sticker. Guess Illinois only does it around Chicago and St. Louis.

Now I'm confused having to do an annual inspection in Milwaukee, but at least still no city stickers (gotta pay if I need to do street parking).

The City Sticker confused the hell out of me when I moved to Chicago. I honestly don't remember if I ever got one the four years I lived there.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Explosionface posted:

No inspections of any sort in Kansas unless you buy a used car from another state, and that's just a case of taking it to the local PD and paying :20bux: to make sure it's not stolen.

The bitch is the sales tax on cars. Kansas is getting theirs regardless of where you buy it.

Around here it's the transit fee you pay if you're in the current "service area".

So shitloads of people just register their car outside the county where a relative lives.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Powershift posted:

I'm in Alberta, Canada

I bought a car that had been sitting in a field for 16+ years with only a bill of sale.

I was able to get it insured($70/year) and registered($87/year) without anybody else having seen the car.

I'm not worried about myself because i work on my vehicles and inspect them when performing maintenance. Other people often do not, and do not get maintenance outside of drive-thru oil change places.

Hearing squealing brakes or seeing 30 year old trucks with sagging frames isn't an impossibility. This guy didn't hit anything. His ball joints just stopped jointing.

:canada:

The only time I have ever had to get my car inspected was when I moved and changed the registration from BC to Ontario.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Here's the checklist for what they check in the UK: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/6040f99dd3bf7f021ac2da87/mot-inspection-checklist-vt29.pdf

More detail is here.

The results of the checks get entered into a computerised system and you can check a car's registration number (license plate number) to see if it's legal to drive here.

It seems kind of a no-brainer to not let people drive complete wrecks on public roads to me, but then again I've never known another way and I've seen some yanks go "Rar it's a tax on the poor" when it's been suggested so who knows

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

For what it's worth, along the East Coast at least, they used to take vehicle inspections seriously.

Pennsylvania was twice a year until the late 1980s. Florida had state inspections, but scrapped them in the 80s as well.

New Jersey was annual, and they tested lights, wipers, horn, emergency brake, and regular brakes on a skid-pad. Emissions with a sniffer they'd slide up the tailpipe. Now, they plug in the OBD & you fail if any codes come up (except airbag, for some reason). They do still have the sniffer for pre-OBD cars; getting my son's '68 VW through was a hoot. Now, it's every 2-years, or 4-5 for new cars off the lot.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Feb 13, 2024

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

klen dool posted:

We have yearly inspections (6 monthly for cars older than 2000) in New Zealand, and they can be pretty strict. You can be denied a warrant for tread less than a mm

I don’t think “Your tyres are dangerous and need replacing” is strict.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

The consensus last time it came up was that the US is so absolutely dependent on cars that you practically can't do too much before it makes life dramatically worse for anyone who is too poor to fix or replace their car - which is a large part of the population.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

LifeSunDeath posted:

the last time I went for an inspection they wouldn't pass me because of my tint.

Because of your what?

E: Oh, I misread.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

I do hope that pvc is routed out on the back to let whatever's in that duct through.

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

Karate Bastard posted:

I do hope that pvc is routed out on the back to let whatever's in that duct through.
Pretty sure that's a gutter downspout and that its contents now go wherever they please lol

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Gort posted:

"Rar it's a tax on the poor" when it's been suggested so who knows

in California, smog checks are effectively a tax on the poor. The tests themselves aren't that expensive, but there's a literal million loving things that can go wrong with a car that won't allow it to pass, and the cost of repairs are frequently prohibitively expensive. Ofc :airquote: new :airquote: cars are exempt from smog for the first four/eight years.

California's dumb poo poo posted:

Vehicles more than eight model years old, including government vehicles, must be smog tested every two years

with catalytic converter theft and Obama nuking the used car market through cash for clunkers, its genuinely expensive to own a vehicle (in a place where a vehicle is de facto required)

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Computer viking posted:

The consensus last time it came up was that the US is so absolutely dependent on cars that you practically can't do too much before it makes life dramatically worse for anyone who is too poor to fix or replace their car - which is a large part of the population.

There's also some evidence that it doesn't impact crash/fatality rates, it clogs up mechanic shops, often leads to people just knowing a guy who will pass you, and it's an unnecessary bureaucracy.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Karate Bastard posted:

Because of your what?

E: Oh, I misread.

It's confusing because the enforcement of that law in practice does work the way you read it the first time

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Eh, if you're driving around with bald tires, you're at a higher risk of aquaplaning and therefore crashing. It's a significant risk as it is on certain types of pavement, let alone when you make it worse. Or a blowout and taking someone else out if you lose control.
With one brake circuit down, you'll have brakes, but a lot longer stopping distance and therefore a significantly higher chance of killing a pedestrian.
And if you lose steering control because of a broken ball joint, god knows who you will hit if it happens on the highway.
Not having smog checks and allowing people to drive without a catalytic converter ruins air quality if it happens too often, in densely populated areas.
And not having lights at night... Well, that's a rather obvious danger.

Let's not downplay the risks of driving supremely dodgy vehicles. I have serious doubts about any reports acting like not having fully functional brakes/steering/lights doesn't have influence on safety. To me, allowing people to drive with dodgy steering and brakes, is 100% the same as saying 'Oh, you're perfectly fine to drive after 4 bottles of beer - you do not need 100% of your driving ability anyway'. In the same way that if you have a ton of slop in your steering reduces your steering accuracy, and having barely functional brakes makes your stopping distance a lot longer just like it is a lot longer after having had alcohol.

Edit: maybe in the grand scheme of things, the influence of dodgy vehicles on safety is fairly small, because the majority of vehicles is in relatively good shape. But i don't think that's the right thing to compare - the right thing to compare would be 10000 vehicles in good shape with 10000 vehicles in bad shape, and then checking if they both have the same number of accidents/fatalities/people who are hit etc etc. of course keeping into account the age of the vehicle because a 30 year old shitbox without ABS and crumple zones is inherently less safe than a modern car.

Traffic is dangerous enough as it is, let's not make it even worse. Here's a compilation of the poo poo people genuinely drove around with, right around the watershed between no MOT and MOT in the Netherlands: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqHgQmZmXPU

People who can afford it, should get their cars tested, and prove it if they can't afford to fix safety critical issues to get some leniency.
Anyone on food stamps or other forms of government assitance, should be able to take their car to a government-run facility or the local vocational school where they train mechanics, to get subsidized help. Specifically government run because you can bet your rear end that normal repair shops will just make their cost skyrocket because the government is paying anyway which would suck.

Of course these need to be safety critical things. Failing on poo poo like a broken number plate bulb, a droplet of oil dripping down after a couple of minutes, a side light, minor cracks in your wind screen etc is bullshit.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Feb 13, 2024

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

shoeberto posted:

I grew up in Ohio and was very much surprised to learn other states had inspections once I moved away. Apparently like 7 of the 88 counties have their own programs.
It's only an emissions test, nothing else. You can show up with one headlight and bald tires as long as your ECU says things are cool, the gas cap checks out, and there's something that resembles a cat in the right place.

These days a lot of stations have gone self-serve so it's just the plug-in test, nothing else.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

So many of the clips on things on YouTube like “Just Rolled In” are
“Customer complained of a slight rattle. Technician found that all brake rotors were rusted right through, brake pads down to the metal, only one lug nut on each wheel, front suspension was held together with spray foam, tyres were bulging ominously and the steering wheel comes off whenever you turn it to the left. Customer declined repairs and drove off onto the freeway.”

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

Stoatbringer posted:

“Customer complained of a slight rattle. Technician found that all brake rotors were rusted right through, brake pads down to the metal, only one lug nut on each wheel, front suspension was held together with spray foam, tyres were bulging ominously and the steering wheel comes off whenever you turn it to the left. Customer declined repairs and drove off onto the freeway.”

Don't dox me, bro.

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

You can do this a bit more osha with matchhead crackers in any one-sided pipe. I once did it with an old TV antenna. Just light the first with the matchhead facing out and pop the second one in with a little delay.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

I once passed a safety inspection by spray painting the snow packed into a rust hole.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

LimaBiker posted:

Specifically government run because you can bet your rear end that normal repair shops will just make their cost skyrocket because the government is paying anyway which would suck.

this isn't even theoretical, it's what happens when people have to pass a smog check or lose their job because they can't get there.

Stoatbringer posted:

I'd want to know what the shop was asking for that. Generally, the guy who owns that car makes minimum wage, and any quote starting with "disassemble all four brakes" is liable to exceed what they make in a month. If you prohibit him from driving that car, he isn't going to sigh and grudgingly make a withdrawl from his trust fund to take care of it, he's probably going to keep driving it illegally so he can get to his job and not be evicted.

You'd have to unfuck like four of the US's ten biggest domestic issues to make europe-grade vehicle inspections anything resembling equitable over here.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Computer viking posted:

Javid posted:

this isn't even theoretical, it's what happens when people have to pass a smog check or lose their job because they can't get there.

I'd want to know what the shop was asking for that. Generally, the guy who owns that car makes minimum wage, and any quote starting with "disassemble all four brakes" is liable to exceed what they make in a month. If you prohibit him from driving that car, he isn't going to sigh and grudgingly make a withdrawl from his trust fund to take care of it, he's probably going to keep driving it illegally so he can get to his job and not be evicted.

You'd have to unfuck like four of the US's ten biggest domestic issues to make europe-grade vehicle inspections anything resembling equitable over here.

Again, I think we've been through this before. (You're not wrong.)

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Using a cam lock to close the breech is genius.

I absolutely could make one of those, but those type of fire crackers are illegal in Canada.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Explosionface posted:

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Around here it's the transit fee you pay if you're in the current "service area".

So shitloads of people just register their car outside the county where a relative lives.

My brother gave me the car he didn't finish paying me back for, it needed a lot of work so I took it off his hands and am using it as a commuter.

My county requires emissions (with check engine light out) every year to register, and my state does Ad Valorem taxing to the tune of what sales tax would have been on the car's estimated value, so getting it registered to me is going to cost something like $500 in parts to clear the CEL (timing/sensor issue, runs fine) and $400 in taxes.

Waaaaay cheaper to just mail my brother $60 every year for a new registration sticker, and rely on local PD not giving a drat that I've got out of state plates.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/qSle8S1.mp4

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Cop hears an acorn fall, hallucinates he's been shot, does an awkward somersault, magdumps into a parked car.

https://twitter.com/githii/status/1757500612143407501

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

His own car, mind you.