Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The Halas/McCaskeys were historically cheap back in the day. I think their 85 championship team was near the bottom of the league in payroll. Old timers had to sue Halas to get paid. And they had the worst training facilities in the league till the late 90's (they used to practice at local high schools when it got cold).

Most of that changed when the monster media deals and salary cap came in to play. It became impossible to not make money. But the family is still cash poor and mostly failures in everything they've touched. They botched the renovated stadium so their revenue at home games is pretty garbage.

As Dexo said, they aren't cheap anymore, just incompetent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
maybe too incompetent to be cheap is more accurate

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

A lot of the McCaskey being cheap goes back to that 85 team where they refused to get help or keep some players. Letting Wilber Marshall go to the Redskins who later beat the Bears cemented their place as cheapass owners to an entire generation of fans.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

And somehow issues like this still seemed to be overshadowed years later by the Cubs being too cheap to pay Greg Maddux.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Dollar Bill Wirtz telling people that "winning costs too much" takes the cake

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Yeah well, he's dead

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

The last (and only) good Chicago owner was Bill Veeck.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

HootTheOwl posted:

Yeah well, he's dead

and so is his rape apologist son

god bless

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Chicago has been littered with cheap rear end owners, which feels kind of amazing considering how much they can make by putting even just above average teams on the field/court/ice.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Mitch may end up on the Bears again as a bridge till Caleb starts.

Like Glennon was for Mitch, Mitch can be for Caleb. The circle of doomed Bear QB life.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I just hope my bears posting pals have the opportunity to experience a positive change in ownership like the lions have gotten

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

As convenient as it would be for the bears to continue to be poop from a butt,

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
You need to build around Justin
https://x.com/DannyParkins/status/1757155110516322669?s=20
Because we've just confirmed Caleb Williams is going to bust.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
How it happened:
https://x.com/shane_riordan/status/1757231752018362683?s=20

Can we agree now it's over?

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

HootTheOwl posted:

You need to build around Justin
https://x.com/DannyParkins/status/1757155110516322669?s=20
Because we've just confirmed Caleb Williams is going to bust.

My dude out here looking like a plucked bird

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Oooof size large

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
By that logic it probably means you should take Drake Maye.

As Parkins did the same poo poo with Fields.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Dexo posted:

As Parkins did the same poo poo with Fields.

Before the draft?

But ok, trade back for Maye, and then next year's first from Washington will be the 1oa all over again when the season Busts.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

HootTheOwl posted:

Before the draft?

But ok, trade back for Maye, and then next year's first from Washington will be the 1oa all over again when the season Busts.

Before the Draft no, because no one thought Fields would drop far enough, but like right afterwards yes. Also threw the QB1 party after Fields had one good game against the Pats.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Someone on the Lions needs to to start dating a pop star.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Someone on the Lions needs to to start dating a pop star.

Aiden Hutchinson and Olivia Rodrigo the new it couple.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I'll take the Sun God out to dinner. I'm not a "Pop Star" but my knees go *pop* when I stand up so it's basically the same thing.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Dexo posted:

Aiden Hutchinson and Olivia Rodrigo the new it couple.

Ana De Armas pls

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Ana De Armas pls

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

I would rather her not be the creepy lady dating someone more than 10 years younger than her lol.

She should be dating me, someone her age, who's married and has a kid.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

How noodle-armed is JJ McCarthy? There's chatter that the Vikings will take him and I absolutely do not remember being impressed by what I saw from him in the few games I very casually watched this year.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Cognac McCarthy posted:

How noodle-armed is JJ McCarthy? There's chatter that the Vikings will take him and I absolutely do not remember being impressed by what I saw from him in the few games I very casually watched this year.

He is not noodle armed, he has enough arm talent to be an NFL quarterback. He's not exceptional though. He is Athletic enough to play in the league too.

His problem is just that, like he doesn't have the reps. because that Michigan team did not throw the ball unless they absolutely had to.

He was very good at making key plays on third downs and in key game situations with his arm when needed. But it's all projection based off his ability to execute in those key moments because he just didn't have the reps.

He is someone who like, the interview, combine, pro day, and private practice process is going to be key.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Dexo posted:

He is not noodle armed, he has enough arm talent to be an NFL quarterback. He's not exceptional though. He is Athletic enough to play in the league too.

His problem is just that, like he doesn't have the reps. because that Michigan team did not throw the ball unless they absolutely had to.

He was very good at making key plays on third downs and in key game situations with his arm when needed. But it's all projection based off his ability to execute in those key moments because he just didn't have the reps.

He is someone who like, the interview, combine, pro day, and private practice process is going to be key.

He can make pretty much anything you need to make in the NFL. Not like Love,Mahomes, Rodgers, Allen, Herbert, etc freaky level. But the ones like a Purdy or Tua. Right system, right scheme, he’ll thrive. He also rarely makes mistakes

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Cognac McCarthy posted:

This is funny because I’ve actually been thinking that JJ McCarthy could end up becoming the “new” Kirk Cousins, in terms of development, ability, etc.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Yeah I don't see why he can't succeed in the NFL, but an ideal situation for him is not starting immediately. Obviously that can be hard to come by, but being able to Jordan Love his way into the starting job would be perfect for him.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A Sneaker Broker posted:

He can make pretty much anything you need to make in the NFL. Not like Love,Mahomes, Rodgers, Allen, Herbert, etc freaky level. But the ones like a Purdy or Tua. Right system, right scheme, he’ll thrive. He also rarely makes mistakes

That's what I said lol.

Also better arm talent than Tua easily.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Feb 13, 2024

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Dexo posted:

That's what I said lol.

Also better arm talent than Tua easily.

Tua's noodle arm is no bueno.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Interesting, thanks. I don't know why I had it in my head that he only threw short, I guess just because they ran so much. If they manage to get him and they're not able to resign Kirk to a 1 or 2 year deal, I hope they park him behind...uhhhhh...Gardner Minshew?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ebMzN4vytQ

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Dexo posted:

I would rather her not be the creepy lady dating someone more than 10 years younger than her lol.

She should be dating me, someone her age, who's married and has a kid.

Holy crap I thought she was maybe 25, not 35 lmao

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I heard Tua was the best deep passer in the league

Why would Hill lie

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I don’t remember any Bears QB ever playing significantly better than they did on the Bears after leaving. Rex, Orton, and Harbaugh were similar I’d say. Wouldn’t expect Fields to buck the trend.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

KDdidit posted:

I don’t remember any Bears QB ever playing significantly better than they did on the Bears after leaving. Rex, Orton, and Harbaugh were similar I’d say. Wouldn’t expect Fields to buck the trend.

I feel like this is most bad teams. Stafford is the glaring exception to Lions QBs, with Batch as the only other one offhand that i know got a ring, though as a backup. Joey, Kitna, Mitchell, and Orlovsky, all went on to diminished careers afterwards.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Stafford didn't play any better on the Rams, he was just with a better play caller. Stafford still was Stafford just like I'm sure Fields will be Fields. The same process and numbers but maybe just better results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Dexo posted:

Stafford didn't play any better on the Rams, he was just with a better play caller. Stafford still was Stafford just like I'm sure Fields will be Fields. The same process and numbers but maybe just better results.

Same lack of a run game but he finally got a defense that could actually get stops.