Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

mystes
May 31, 2006

Bright Bart posted:

Is master chief short for Master Chief Petty Officer?

I think it's cool that you play an NCO in those games.

And that technically every single 22 year old sublieutenant outranks him even though they probably know better than to ever pull that card.
It's actually "master chef" because he won Top Chef: UNSC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Open Source Idiom posted:

I feel like I was speculating about this last year and a bunch of you said I was crazy for thinking this, but news from the network upfronts is that Reservation Dogs was prematurely ended. The intention was for the show to go for five seasons.

Uhh, did you actually read the news on this? Landgraf wanted it to run for five seasons, but when Sterlin Harjo said he had written the perfect ending for the third, he respected it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

Uhh, did you actually read the news on this? Landgraf wanted it to run for five seasons, but when Sterlin Harjo said he had written the perfect ending for the third, he respected it.

When I posted I'd only read the Miles McNutt summary this morning ("Landgraf having cited a period of intense turnover at FX and the premature end of Reservation Dogs (which he had intended to take to five seasons) and the sunsetting of What We Do In The Shadows after season six...")

That said, I think my read's consistent with what Lane Factor was saying here, in terms of no one having a clue whether the show would be renewed or not right up until nearly the end of filming.

I've also since read what I can find of the Landgraf quote and I'm not convinced it's not spin, particularly given that it seemingly contradicts the above.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Bright Bart posted:

And that technically every single 22 year old sublieutenant outranks him even though they probably know better than to ever pull that card.

I honestly don't know and I even played some of the games back in the day lol. As far as I'm concerned his name is John Master Chief unless the sentence looks funnier if you call him Chef. He is clearly the head honcho of his soldier club, however he is subordinate to much smaller government people with more interesting jobs.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

His name is John Halo, get it right.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

If you liked the first few episodes you may as well finish the season. Skip the second.

Yeah season 2 is just bad and has like no characters from the first season.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Open Source Idiom posted:

Sarah Snook finding out that Succession was ending partway through the table read for the finale.

I know she's said that in an interview but it still seems incredibly hard to believe.

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?

Bright Bart posted:

Yeah, his full title is Master Chief Petty Officer S-117. I think at one point there was a “Third Class” in there at the end? I jumped off the bandwagon after Halo 4; they might have changed that detail. And yeah, pretty much every other named character in the games outranks him, including the two player characters from the games where you don’t play as 117.

Speaking of the Halo show, I’m curious: have they made any allusions, subtle or direct, to the UNSC being a fascist dictatorship, or the Terrible Secret behind the SPARTAN program? I just want to know how much, if any, of the behind-the-scenes “we’re kind of the bad guys” stuff they took with them from Bungie’s backstory documents.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Spartan cloning was brought up last season but there hasn't been a ton of civilian stuff. Season 2 does show upper command lying to the public about what happened during a mission.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

His name is Dr. John Chief, he didn't spend 4 years in medical school to be called Mr. Chief.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Because of Night Country, I've been rewatching True Detective S1. It still slaps, but little behind the camera interviews with Nic Pizzolatto makes me want to give that man a wedgie. What a pretentious dork. It's especially amplified by the much more sensible and interesting commentary from Cary Fukunaga.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

IRQ posted:

His name is Dr. John Chief, he didn't spend 4 years in medical school to be called Mr. Chief.

He only got a masters degree, that's why he's called Master.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

he won Master Chef but sadly still has dyslexia

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Bright Bart posted:

I think it's supposed to mimic the Navy SEAL ranks. which top out at E9 for enlisted, and the officers do other stuff besides freeing people from a lack of a freedom.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I really dug Miracle Workers season 2 when it came out. The consensus seemed to be that season 3 wasn't all that good so I skipped it, then didn't really enjoy what I saw of season 4 which went too zany. Just circled back around to season 3 and am really enjoying it. It's just sweet and earnest and cozy. Every once in a while there's a joke that bounces off of me and it's more consistently mildly amusing than full of belly laughs, but I wouldn't put it that far below season 2. Just charming.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

feedmyleg posted:

I really dug Miracle Workers season 2 when it came out. The consensus seemed to be that season 3 wasn't all that good so I skipped it, then didn't really enjoy what I saw of season 4 which went too zany. Just circled back around to season 3 and am really enjoying it. It's just sweet and earnest and cozy. Every once in a while there's a joke that bounces off of me and it's more consistently mildly amusing than full of belly laughs, but I wouldn't put it that far below season 2. Just charming.

Watch season 4 once youre done. Might as well finish it off.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Oh I will, it just slipped down the list after I wasn't fully vibes with the first episode. I haven't even watched season 1 yet, which I skipped at the time because I bounce off overtly religious stuff. But the writers have definitely won my benefit of the doubt at this point, so I'll do that next before capping it off with 4.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Episode 4 of Mr. and Mrs. Smith with them meeting the other Smiths and thinking they were the coolest people on the planet before the eventual realization that they're loving awful people and they hate them was absolutely fantastic. The ending where they take such huge relief in both agreeing on that and just having a blast making fun of them was just lovely.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Mr and Mrs Smith is one of my favorite shows of the last few years. It's ludicrously well made, the on-screen chemistry completely works, it's really funny. loving fantastic.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I don’t get streaming. Paramount owns The Twilight Zone but paramount plus doesn’t have it for streaming anymore? How’s that make sense

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Are we allowed to say it's good to have physical media of poo poo you care about?

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

The Bezos Secret Police will hunt you down and force you to watch ad supported streaming services

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

No, buy a NAS to store everything on or gently caress off.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Rappaport posted:

Are we allowed to say it's good to have physical media of poo poo you care about?

No. It is forbidden, and for your crimes you will be sent to dwell in outer darkness along with all those Mormons who didn't pay their 10% church tithe.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Shoot, not the Mormons :(

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

SCheeseman posted:

Mr and Mrs Smith is one of my favorite shows of the last few years. It's ludicrously well made, the on-screen chemistry completely works, it's really funny. loving fantastic.

I'm on the fifth episode and there are a few real high points! Overall when it shines it's not only fun but actually seriously well made and well acted. Maybe just a half step below Man from U.N.C.L.E. in that regard.

There's also some parts that haven't held my attention. But basically all of the action sequences have. Including the what I would call bait & switch reveal a the climax of EP03 and the fifteen minute chase scene that kicks off EP05. For that latter one, it's obviously not realistic because of the fact that they never reload, but I really liked how it shows how hard it is for even professionals to hit anything with pistols at mid-distance when everyone is moving.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

The enshitification continues.

https://www.theverge.com/24071417/amazon-prime-video-no-dolby-vision-atmos

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

MechaSeinfeld posted:

I don’t get streaming. Paramount owns The Twilight Zone but paramount plus doesn’t have it for streaming anymore? How’s that make sense

It’s on my Paramount Plus, I just finished watching an episode.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

MechaSeinfeld posted:

The old strategy was “we will outspend and outcompete Netflix with our own channel” and the new strategy is “we will take money for our content.”

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MechaSeinfeld posted:

Shows and movies often have streaming agreements made years in advance. Netflix's European division paid for the rights to Star Trek: Discovery and that money covered the entire first season's production costs, for example. CBS / Paramount sold the streaming rights for Yellowstone to NBCUniversal before the first episode ever aired.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I feel bad for Dakota Johnson. I thought Ben and Kate was really funny and she's also really funny when she does SNL. But all her movies are critical disasters so the public probably thinks she's budget brand Shaline Woodley. She should do more comedy, except that they don't make comedy films anymore so she'd have to go back to TV.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

zoux posted:

I feel bad for Dakota Johnson. I thought Ben and Kate was really funny and she's also really funny when she does SNL. But all her movies are critical disasters so the public probably thinks she's budget brand Shaline Woodley. She should do more comedy, except that they don't make comedy films anymore so she'd have to go back to TV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XX_Rxvg8vdo

Yeah I hadn't even had a thought about her in years but she killed it on SNL. The Roast video above made me laugh harder than I'd laughed in years at SNL.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

zoux posted:

I thought Ben and Kate was really funny and she's also really funny when she does SNL.

Oh man realizing that was her when I read your post made me realize she would have been what 21 when filming scenes as the mother of a six year old child? I mean that's not outlandish and I drk but...

It made me realize that Paul Mescal was 25 (24?) when filming Aftersun as the dad of an 11 or 12 year old? That adds an additional layer of sadness to the ending. And also... I would have pegged him in his mid-30s. Seeing him in the roles he is in at his age makes me hope he has an excellent mental health support network.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Medullah posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XX_Rxvg8vdo

Yeah I hadn't even had a thought about her in years but she killed it on SNL. The Roast video above made me laugh harder than I'd laughed in years at SNL.

Those guys are funny, too. I've always said this, but SNL's prerecorded sketches are usually miles above anything else on the show, some top tier sketch comedy.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

PND is, imo, the worst of the on-line comic groups they've brought in because almost all their sketches are "us in the writing room having a weird interaction with this week's host". Lonely Island and Good Neighbor (Mooney & Beckett) did like actual sketches and stuff.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Dakota Johnson rules so it is a shame her mainstream projects are mostly bad. She is excellent in a lot of stuff though like the Suspiria remake (aka the best movie of 2018), Bad Times at the El Royale, and Cha Cha Real Smooth

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Well, it sounds like like Jon lost the plot and both sided the gently caress out of the election on his first show last night so my excitement in tuning it turned into not actually wanting to watch.

Barbs at the current administration are to be expected, but apparently he ended the segment saying that we’d be fine regardless of who gets elected in the fall and dear god, you know better than that Jon. We are already not “all fine” after the last one.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Amazons player is already bad. The only good thing it has is the IMDb overlay to tell you the actors on screen at any time. The way they sneak commercials into the episode itself always hosed up the caption timing so you're seeing lines from 2 scenes ago or in the future.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

bull3964 posted:

Well, it sounds like like Jon lost the plot and both sided the gently caress out of the election on his first show last night so my excitement in tuning it turned into not actually wanting to watch.

Barbs at the current administration are to be expected, but apparently he ended the segment saying that we’d be fine regardless of who gets elected in the fall and dear god, you know better than that Jon. We are already not “all fine” after the last one.

I didn't get that at all. The impression I got was "The democrats should have picked someone better than Biden in 2020 and they're now stuck with him, but he's better than Trump"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Trump can't possibly be as bad as people say he would be

Or as bad as they say he was during his first administration.

Or as bad as I remember him being his first administration.