Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Anne Whateley posted:

Pertussis aka whooping cough genuinely sucks so bad. Did you know that adults need to get a Tdap booster every 10 years? I had no clue, and then I got whooping cough. Extremely do not recommend, which is why I now constantly post PSAs telling goons to get Tdap boostered. Vaxmaxxing
It's also recommended if you are having a kid or will be around small kiddos, because immunity from the pertussis part of the shot decays in a few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I end up getting the vaccine more often usually because ive inevitably stabbed myself with a rusty nail or gotten bitten by a dog between years 5-10 since i last got it.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

I'm starting into microcontrollers, is the SenseAir S8 still "it" for accurate CO2?

Sorry, I haven't paid attention to CO2 sensors.

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
some of these people have that 4 year cough

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

mildtussis

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Zugzwang posted:

It's also recommended if you are having a kid or will be around small kiddos, because immunity from the pertussis part of the shot decays in a few years.

I hope I don't catch something from my new job before my health insurance kicks in :zombie:

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

so it turns out the school district I work for has a covid dashboard that's updated weekly on Mondays but because nobody tests anymore, the stats for my school say 0 staff and 0 students with covid. Just today I overheard a student in the hall shout 'EVERYONE IS SO SICK' but if you don't test it's not covid so nobody cares :shrug:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Psycho Society posted:

lookit this dumby never heard of pertussis

Speaking of whooping cough, this guy I posted about recently:

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

A guy I know went to a performance of his favourite Irish singer/songwriter who just happens to be touring and he had the most wonderful time in the world, hanging out with friends and getting pissed with random drunk Irishmen and listening to some of his favourite music and talking the night away. Of course he didn't wear a mask because you can't go drinking if you're wearing a mask .... and then today he announced that he's come down with something and even though he's currently testing negative on RATs he's going to take the rest of the week off because it's almost certainly covid.
At least he's voluntarily isolating, I guess? :shrug:

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's highly unlikely it's the flu, it's currently summer here in Australia and even over these last few years where the flu seasons have been all weird there's still been hardly any flu this time of year. We have had some weird RSV waves about this time of year though, and it could always be just a regular cold but we're also just coming off the back of a rather sizable covid wave so that's the highest probability by a rather large margin

... has been coughing so severely that his doc made him test for pertussis today. He's been coughing so hard that it made him throw up.

Also he had to do a throat swab and even though he claims to have a pretty good gag reflex he gagged on the swab so all his friends in the gay community are posting "LOL you have to hand your gay card back in now LOL" :v:

Livo
Dec 31, 2023
My sister who lives in America had Covid last year. A few months after she got it, she had major chest pains whilst breathing and violent, prolonged coughing outbreaks, but still was negative on PCRs for Covid. After lots of delays with tests & scans, it turns out she had multiple cracked ribs from coughing so much due to a sudden pneumonia infection, which she picked up not too long after Covid.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

my coworker rants
have you noticed how like
every place is understaffed lately?
or like, has limited hours??
i just don't get it

lol, lmao

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Lacrosse posted:

so it turns out the school district I work for has a covid dashboard that's updated weekly on Mondays but because nobody tests anymore, the stats for my school say 0 staff and 0 students with covid. Just today I overheard a student in the hall shout 'EVERYONE IS SO SICK' but if you don't test it's not covid so nobody cares :shrug:
we're fully in the no one cares stage of things and no one tests (lol people using 2+ year old tests when they do) anyone, it's hosed
coworkers in the hospital, classmates missing school, teachers out for weeks at a time, everything is understaffed, hmmm no one wants to work anymore obviously! never mind what has happened over the past 4 years

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

mags posted:

some of these people have that 4 year cough

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Update for my friend who had to test for pertussis:

quote:

Update: I don’t have pneumonia or respiratory syncytial virus (whatever that is). No results back for whooping cough yet, however.

LOL I got to run in and mansplain RSV and the tripledemic

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The tripledemic isn’t real.

The epidemiology of influenza and RSV is within reasonable seasonal bounds.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
:coronatoot:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2024/02/13/covid-isolation-guidelines-cdc-change/ posted:

CDC plans to drop five-day covid isolation guidelines

Americans who test positive for the coronavirus no longer need to routinely stay home from work and school for five days under new guidance planned by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
(..)
CDC officials acknowledged in internal discussions and in a briefing last week with state health officials how much the covid-19 landscape has changed since the virus emerged four years ago, killing nearly 1.2 million people in the United States and shuttering businesses and schools. The new reality — with most people having developed a level of immunity to the virus because of prior infection or vaccination — warrants a shift to a more practical approach, experts and health officials say.

“Public health has to be realistic,” said Michael T. Osterholm, an infectious-disease expert at the University of Minnesota. “In making recommendations to the public today, we have to try to get the most out of what people are willing to do. … You can be absolutely right in the science and yet accomplish nothing because no one will listen to you.”

The CDC plans to recommend that people who test positive for the coronavirus use clinical symptoms to determine when to end isolation. Under the new approach, people would no longer need to stay home if they have been fever-free for at least 24 hours without the aid of medication and their symptoms are mild and improving, according to three agency officials who spoke on the condition of anonymity to share internal discussions.

The federal recommendations follow similar moves by Oregon and California. The White House has yet to sign off on the guidance that the agency is expected to release in April for public feedback, officials said. One agency official said the timing could “move around a bit” until the guidance is finalized.

Work on revising isolation guidance has been underway since last August, but was paused in the fall as covid cases rose. CDC director Mandy Cohen sent staff a memo in January that listed “Pan-resp guidance-April” as a bullet point for the agency’s 2024 priorities.

Officials said they recognized the need to give the public more practical guidelines for covid-19, acknowledging that few people are following isolation guidance that hasn’t been updated since December 2021. Back then, health officials cut the recommended isolation period for people with asymptomatic coronavirus from 10 days to five because they worried essential services would be hobbled as the highly transmissible omicron variant sent infections surging. The decision was hailed by business groups and slammed by some union leaders and health experts.

The plan to further loosen isolation guidance when the science around infectiousness has not changed is likely to prompt strong negative reaction from vulnerable groups, including people older than 65, those with weak immune systems and long covid patients, CDC officials and experts said.
(..)
California’s state epidemiologist Erica Pan said the societal disruptions that resulted from strict isolation guidelines also helped spur the change. Workers without sick leave and those who can’t work from home if they or their children test positive and are required to isolate bore a disproportionate burden. Strict isolation requirements can act as a disincentive to test when testing should be encouraged so people at risk for serious illness can get treatment, she said.

Giving people symptom-based guidance, similar to what is already recommended for flu, is a better way to prioritize those most at risk and balance the potential for disruptive impacts on schools and workplaces,
(..)
It’s not clear whether the updated CDC guidance will continue to recommend masking for 10 days.
(..)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

They have to meet people where they are!!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Osterholm gave his thoughts on California’s guidance in his last two episodes.

He is an absolutely depraved reactionary here.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

I enjoy the complete retreat from public health demanding or even really recommending anything for public good

well, as long as someone acknowledges “vulnerable people” while doing nothing to keep them safe, we’re doin’ okay!!!

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Pingui posted:

:coronatoot:

quote:

The new reality — with most people having developed a level of immunity to the virus because of prior infection or vaccination

They want this to be true so bad lmao

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
:brainworms: Merely a review, there is nothing inherently new here, nevertheless it is a good overview of the combined impact and the different areas of effect seen in studies.

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20240212/COVID-19s-lasting-impact-on-smell-and-brain-health-unveiled.aspx posted:

COVID-19's lasting impact on smell and brain health unveiled
(..)
How does SARS-CoV-2 cause olfactory dysfunction?
SARS-CoV-2 is considered neurotropic, neuroinvasive, and neurovirulent, with some viral variants associated with a greater affinity for the central nervous system (CNS) than others. In particular, the ancestral D614G strain, followed by the Gamma, Delta, and Omicron BA1 variants, have been associated with the greatest neurotropism in descending order.

Despite several studies evaluating the impact of SARS-CoV-2 infection on olfaction, the precise pathogenesis and molecular mechanisms responsible for this dysfunction remain unclear. Some proposed hypotheses include mechanical obstruction due to congestion and rhinitis, which can compromise airflow and the transportation of odorants for smell perception. However, this hypothesis has been disproven, as several studies have found that olfactory dysfunction often persists for longer durations than respiratory symptoms, with many COVID-19 patients experiencing olfactory dysfunction without the associated nasal congestion needed to support this theory.

Researchers have also hypothesized that SARS-CoV-2 causes direct damage to olfactory neurons, which subsequently leads to olfactory dysfunction. Despite the absence of both the angiotensin-converting enzyme 2 (ACE2) and transmembrane serine protease 2 (TMPRSS2) on olfactory neurons, both of which are crucial for viral entry into cells, SARS-CoV-2 may use other pathways such as Basigin (BSG), neuropilin-1 (NRP1), TMPRSS11A, and furin receptors to infect the olfactory system and cause dysfunction.

MRI imaging to elucidate olfactory dysfunction in COVID-19
The reviewed studies included several descriptions of MRI findings in patients with COVID-19, such as volumetric abnormalities and altered signal intensity of OBs, altered depth of OS, abnormalities within the olfactory cortex, as well as irregularities of neuron filia.

Measuring OB volume (OBV) and OS depth is the most common approach to evaluating the olfactory system. To this end, reduced OBV and OS depth in both the right and left side of hospitalized COVID-19 patients has been observed in several studies, thus suggesting that SARS-CoV-2 causes direct damage to olfactory neuronal pathways.

Up to one-third of patients who have recovered from COVID-19 report neurological symptoms, some of which include brain fog, insomnia, headache, depression, anxiety, and mental fatigue. In COVID-19, prolonged olfactory dysfunction has been associated with severe cognitive consequences, which may be attributed to inflammation, altered neurogenesis of the olfactory system, and functional changes within the brain structures.
(..)

Review study proper:
"A Comprehensive Review of COVID-19-Related Olfactory Deficiency: Unraveling Associations with Neurocognitive Disorders and Magnetic Resonance Imaging Findings"

https://www.mdpi.com/2075-4418/14/4/359 posted:

Abstract
Olfactory dysfunction (OD) is one of the most common symptoms in COVID-19 patients and can impact patients’ lives significantly. The aim of this review was to investigate the multifaceted impact of COVID-19 on the olfactory system and to provide an overview of magnetic resonance (MRI) findings and neurocognitive disorders in patients with COVID-19-related OD. Extensive searches were conducted across PubMed, Scopus, and Google Scholar until 5 December 2023. The included articles were 12 observational studies and 1 case report that assess structural changes in olfactory structures, highlighted through MRI, and 10 studies correlating the loss of smell with neurocognitive disorders or mood disorders in COVID-19 patients. MRI findings consistently indicate volumetric abnormalities, altered signal intensity of olfactory bulbs (OBs), and anomalies in the olfactory cortex among COVID-19 patients with persistent OD. The correlation between OD and neurocognitive deficits reveals associations with cognitive impairment, memory deficits, and persistent depressive symptoms. Treatment approaches, including olfactory training and pharmacological interventions, are discussed, emphasizing the need for sustained therapeutic interventions. This review points out several limitations in the current literature while exploring the intricate effects of COVID-19 on OD and its connection to cognitive deficits and mood disorders. The lack of objective olfactory measurements in some studies and potential validity issues in self-reports emphasize the need for cautious interpretation. Our research highlights the critical need for extensive studies with larger samples, proper controls, and objective measurements to deepen our understanding of COVID-19’s long-term effects on neurological and olfactory dysfunctions.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

They want us to believe this to be true so bad lmao

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

I personally really appreciate that they knew that it would be idiotic to do this on the up slope of the COVID curve, so they waited for the down slope so reality wouldn't reveal the depravity.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

True. Though there's actually something there in that all the "inherent severity of Omicron and up" papers I remember conclude that there is less severity because of vaccination and previous infection. That actually sits uncomfortably in my head together with: "risk of long covid doesn't go down with repeat infections". Naively you'd expect one or the other.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

rest of the text is garbage

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
I did it. I ordered fifty combo rapid tests from that German healthcare site, gonna split em up with my idiot family who are always getting sick.

Wonder how long they'll take to get here or if they'll be like, Trump n95 masks style intercepted at the border

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Gunshow Poophole posted:

I did it. I ordered fifty combo rapid tests from that German healthcare site, gonna split em up with my idiot family who are always getting sick.

Wonder how long they'll take to get here or if they'll be like, Trump n95 masks style intercepted at the border

link? been eyeing those euro combo tests.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

I mean we all knew they'd rather let over 1mil americans die from a preventable disease than have extremely manageable food lines, etc, but it's nice to have it in writing even if it isn't a government release.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Insanite posted:

I enjoy the complete retreat from public health demanding or even really recommending anything for public good

well, as long as someone acknowledges “vulnerable people” while doing nothing to keep them safe, we’re doin’ okay!!!

I mean

quote:

“In making recommendations to the public today, we have to try to get the most out of what people are willing to do. … You can be absolutely right in the science and yet accomplish nothing because no one will listen to you.”

"people" hear clearly doesn't mean "people," it means capital. Wonder what they're going to do when they revise these guidelines down to nothing at all and business / schools are still massively disrupted multiple times every year due to mass sickness.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I’m confused about the like, strategic goal even.

you can be absolutely right in the science but nobody will listen to you

vs

you can tell people lies and then they will listen to you

what do I get if the people are listening to lies, exactly? is that public health?

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I mean

"people" hear clearly doesn't mean "people," it means capital. Wonder what they're going to do when they revise these guidelines down to nothing at all and business / schools are still massively disrupted multiple times every year due to mass sickness.

what do you mean you wonder

they will continue to not give a poo poo

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

tuyop posted:

(..)
what do I get if the people are listening to lies, exactly? is that public health?

Normalization.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Pingui posted:

Normalization.

:patriot:

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Dissatisfied with children getting vaccinated, Leonhardt sets out on a new quest.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/13/briefing/covid-boosters-children-cdc.html posted:

Covid Shots for Children
Much of the world has decided that most young children don’t need to receive Covid booster shots. The U.S. is an outlier.
(..)
This situation makes for a case study of the shortcomings in U.S. Covid policy: A strict approach to a nuanced issue has backfired, fostering skepticism of scientific expertise while doing little to improve public health. Dr. Francis Collins, the retired head of the National Institutes of Health, acknowledged the larger problem last year when he said that experts erred during the pandemic by taking a “very narrow view of what the right decision is.”

Monthslong school closures that harmed student learning were one example. Extended mask mandates that many people ignored were another. A continuing C.D.C. recommendation that conflicts with international practice — and that most Americans have dismissed — has become yet another.
(..)
The value of candor
Galea believes that the biggest drawback to the U.S. booster policy may be its effect on the C.D.C.’s credibility. When people who are already skeptical of expert advice, as many Americans are, see the C.D.C. insisting on a vaccine with a marginal benefit, they have more reason to question other C.D.C. guidance — such as the urgent importance of childhood vaccines against measles and diphtheria.

“There is a real cost to our not being honest,” Galea said.

When I’ve asked public health experts off the record what they are doing with their own children, they tend to be honest. Almost all have vaccinated their children, for the sake of both those children and other people. At the same time, some experts told me that they had not boosted their children.

Why? The benefits seem small, for everybody. The costs — like a child’s fear of needles or a missed day of school from side effects — also seem small. With such a close call, reasonable parents will make different decisions, and that’s OK.

Maybe the C.D.C. would have a bigger impact if it conveyed a similarly candid message.

"Never give advice some people won't follow." - Leonhardt, explicitly

Apr 7, 2003

the school closures are three and a half years in the past now and they will never, ever, ever let them pass into history. They will be shrieking about how school closures harmed kids a decade from now. Local radio here ran a bit about how the city school district "fell behind on services to disabled students by 600,000 hours and still hasn't made up for it."

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
lmfao nurse technician walked through the waiting room holding an Amazon package over his mouth as if to pantomime that he's wearing a mask per the sign on the door.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

tuyop posted:

I’m confused about the like, strategic goal even.

you can be absolutely right in the science but nobody will listen to you

vs

you can tell people lies and then they will listen to you

Heh, telling people lies ("meeting them where they are") for 4+ years now is what led to people not believing them anymore and to stop listening.

This is the final straw, people will say "see the CDC finally admitted we can go in sick now, it's not a big deal, the whole thing was overblown the whole time"

But no one in public health seems to see how one thing leads to the other, they are just standing around like "what can we tell them to get them to listen to us again".

That and I guess it's an election year and Biden is behind in the polls. We gotta run just a tiny bit to the left of eugenics and fascism to pull this one out.

yellowD
Mar 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1757415581400358994

haha dropping the 5 day quarantine and hospital acquired infection reporting. I am losing my loving mind here. How is any of this real

Apr 7, 2003

That stuff is unnecessary now that we've all become immune by catching it four times a year

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

yellowD posted:

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1757415581400358994

haha dropping the 5 day quarantine and hospital acquired infection reporting. I am losing my loving mind here. How is any of this real
have you caught Covid recently, OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
it's week two of my company getting serious about annoying people about coming in to work.

it looks like maybe 15% commitment on that front. literally just empty desks with post it notes saying whose desk it is.