Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

notwithoutmyanus posted:

This is about the level of ill conceived Russian propaganda.

They don't have to offer anything more credible, so they've slowly lost the ability to produce anything more credible.

I am recalling maritime seizure from years and years ago where israeli forces raided ships, then assembled piles of regular tools to take pictures of and claim as scary terrorist weapons of war as validation of the ship raids. Same general principle, same general outcome: only doubted and contradicted by those who ultimately didn't matter to israel's capacity to wage genocide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Seyser Koze posted:

You literally named a third complicit party yourself: western media uncritically laundering Israeli propaganda. To say nothing of America continuing to supply Israel and run interference for them in the global stage.

No, I didn't and I don't care for your inference to make this about the USA.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Darth Walrus posted:

Good, lengthy thread on the IDF's latest round of bullshit, this time about a 'Hamas command centre' under the UNRWA headquarters.

https://x.com/michakobs/status/1756821215212130459?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

Is there a good way to see twitter threads for those of us with no accounts?

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Yawgmoft posted:

Is there a good way to see twitter threads for those of us with no accounts?

Twiiit seems to work like nitter. Gave me: https://nitter.oksocial.net/MichaKobs

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Kavros posted:

They don't have to offer anything more credible, so they've slowly lost the ability to produce anything more credible.

I am recalling maritime seizure from years and years ago where israeli forces raided ships, then assembled piles of regular tools to take pictures of and claim as scary terrorist weapons of war as validation of the ship raids. Same general principle, same general outcome: only doubted and contradicted by those who ultimately didn't matter to israel's capacity to wage genocide.

Yep, just how it's completely bonkers of them going from "A tiny proportion of UNRWA employees are linked to Khamas" to "There's a major facility under UNRWA HQ" in the space of a few days. Like drat slow your roll there guys, maybe do a little laying of groundwork to bridge the gap so bombing the UN isn't completely insane.

But why would they, it's never mattered before.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Tough?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

notwithoutmyanus posted:

But this very much is about the USA.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
The genocide would end in a week if the US stopped supplying Israel with munitions.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonCHI/status/1755425175242220026

I think Joe Biden's administration is full of poo poo whenever they say they're concerned about civilians. They just want to hurt Bibi politically inside Israel but refuse to Diem him.

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

Marenghi posted:

The genocide would end in a week if the US stopped supplying Israel with munitions.

I would agree if you also mean a ban on US manufacturers from exporting to Israel, I doubt withdrawing aid alone would be enough as it's only ~10-20% of the IDF budget at most.

Does anyone have any thorough analysis of the IDF's sources of bombs/ammunition? What would it look like if Biden hypothetically banned exports but Bibi wanted to continue the genocide? Do people have estimates of their stocks or alternative sourcing options they might explore? As far as I know it's largely from the US but I also understand they have been building domestic capacity for some time now.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
From a quick check I found this article from December. Al-jazeera relaying a report from the WSJ.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/12/2/us-gives-bunker-buster-bombs-to-israel-for-war-on-gaza-report posted:

The WSJ report said a surge of US arms to Israel since the start of the war has included 15,000 bombs and 57,000 155mm artillery shells that have primarily been carried on C-17 military cargo planes.

Washington has also sent more than 5,000 unguided Mk82 bombs, more than 5,400 Mk84 bombs, about 1,000 GBU-39 small-diameter bombs, and approximately 3,000 JDAMs, a guidance kit that turns unguided bombs into precision-guided munitions, it said.

This is on top of the billions of dollars Israel receives each year in US financial support for its military operations.

According to the WSJ, large bombs made by the US have been used in some of the deadliest Israeli attacks on the Gaza Strip, including a strike that levelled an apartment block in the Jabalia refugee camp, killing more than 100 people. Israel said the attack was justified as it killed a Hamas leader.

This was my understanding from reporting during this conflict. The US has been shipping vast amounts of artillery and bombs on military cargo planes to Israel which they have been using to bombard Gaza.

On top of that they are being supported with intelligence by US and UK planes doing surveillance fly-overs.

Israel had ordered tens of thousands of artillery shells from the Israeli based in the UK, Elbit. Not long before the war the US had transferred 300,000 artillery shells they had stored in Israel for their use, to Ukraine to support the war effort there.

Also from another source

https://reliefweb.int/report/occupied-palestinian-territory/joint-open-letter-transfer-155mm-artillery-shells-israel posted:

the IDF fired 8,000 155mm shells during Operation Cast Lead in 2008-9 and 34,000 shells during Operation Protective Edge in 2014.

So just going up to December the US had delivered almost 7 times as many shells as used during the entirety of Cast Lead and nearly double what was used in Protective Edge. Not an inconsiderable amount. Definitely seems like enough to warrant Israel seeking a negotiated settlement.

Marenghi fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Feb 12, 2024

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://x.com/frances_coppola/status/1757117357439267266?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

Rescuing these two Argentine-Israeli hostages (implicitly as a welcoming present for Javier Milei, who's very pro-Israel) was the justification for the Rafah attack last night. Israel lies about loving everything.

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

https://x.com/frances_coppola/status/1757117357439267266?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

Rescuing these two Argentine-Israeli hostages (implicitly as a welcoming present for Javier Milei, who's very pro-Israel) was the justification for the Rafah attack last night. Israel lies about loving everything.

Click through to the times article it doesn't say that Louis Har was released on 28 Nov, it says that part of his extended family was released then and that the original story is about his capture. I don't trust the Times to not edit poo poo like this so I

went to the archive and checked

and it said that in January also. They updated the old article to reflect his release and the headline is misleading. The tweet you're quoting is wrong.

Israel lies about many things but it's important to not make easily disprovable claims like this.

Marenghi posted:

From a quick check I found this article from December. Al-jazeera relaying a report from the WSJ.

Thanks for this.

Kagrenak fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Feb 12, 2024

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Darth Walrus posted:

Do you believe every tweet you read? This is easily refutable? In November, Gabriela and Mia Leimberg, and Clara Marman were released. This was 3 of the 5 from the family that were taken. These two, are the remaining two that have remained hostages since. You would do well to note that they only released women, and Luis is not.

In any case, there is zero reporting from November claiming that Luis Har was released. I know you didn’t check ahead of time so go ahead and look now. You’ll find it was the three above. Can we at least put in a modicum of effort before reposting garbage Twitter takes? Is that too much to ask?

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
The Times of Israel did change their article from December to the new headline "RESCUED: Argentine-born Louis Har, grandfather to ten".
An easy mistake to make if you weren't to check the archived version.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The Tweeter did in fact check and post a carefully cropped version of the archived article, they just neglected to mention that it was previously about the guy's family being rescued rather than him.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Marenghi posted:

What expense. Biden gave them the go ahead provided they had a plan in place to minimize casualties. Which is vague AF. They can claim they had a plan as they murder women and children by the 100s.

Israel can just point at the Israelis clamoring to drop a nuke on Gaza and say their carpet bombing campaign is minimizing casualties (compared to a nuclear attack).

Maybe they're still using their algorithm to designate targets and it just keeps adding more people because it calculates that if Israel killed X of their relatives, they're likely to become anti-Israeli. Every strike adds more potential Hamas fighters, better keep striking until everyone's dead.

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."
As ever, whether Israel lied about one thing or another is pretty irrelevant to what we know concretely, for sure, indisputably, which is:

Israel murdered anywhere from seventy to over 100 people. AS A DIVERSION.

I don't care if the two hostages were rescued before. Were rescued. Have never been rescued. Are in fact Martians.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Hong XiuQuan posted:

As ever, whether Israel lied about one thing or another is pretty irrelevant to what we know concretely, for sure, indisputably, which is:

I don't care if the two hostages were rescued before. Were rescued. Have never been rescued. Are in fact Martians.

I think expecting posters in D&D to follow the rules and read the sources they’re posting is reasonable.

Upon looking at the article soon after that tweet was posted, it was very clear that it had been updated. It stated this (and still does) right underneath that picture (where that tweet was conveniently cropped):

quote:

Norberto Louis Har was rescued from captivity in Rafah in a daring military operation on February 12, 2024. This is the story of his capture:

Kalit fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Feb 13, 2024

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."

Kalit posted:

I think expecting posters in D&D to follow the rules and read the sources they’re posting is reasonable.

Upon looking at the article soon after that tweet was posted, it was very clear that it had been updated. It stated this (and still does) right underneath that picture (where that tweet was conveniently cropped):

Yes, very good, I'm glad we've cleared up that stupid editing on websites leads to minor conspiracy theories. Now that we know the 2 (two) hostages are alive and sipping borscht somewhere, how do we feel about Israel murdering perhaps over a hundred people AS A DIVERSION?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Israel spends 24 billion USD of its own money on the IDF. “Omg literal BILLIONS” the US sends is a drop in that bucket and Bibi and Friends could happily keep genociding without the USA, despite how everything needs to be about America in some people’s minds

E: Israel is the world’s ninth-largest arms exporter fwiw, behind only the US, China, Russia, and a gang of euro states with the top being France. They have home grown weapons manufacturers that make what they need to keep the killing going.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Feb 13, 2024

Glah
Jun 21, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Israel spends 24 billion USD of its own money on the IDF. “Omg literal BILLIONS” the US sends is a drop in that bucket and Bibi and Friends could happily keep genociding without the USA, despite how everything needs to be about America in some people’s minds

That money doesn't automatically transform into munitions, as seen when Israel needs 155mm artillery shells from US. Shells that could be sent to Ukraine instead. A country that is actually fighting an existential war. Never mind the protection US gives to Israel in UN to obstruct any real international pathways to curtail the ethnic cleansing Israel is doing. Only way for US policy to change is to bang that drum. Especially US being a two party system where both parties are still very much supporting Israeli policy, it becomes more imperative to make dissenting voices heard. So bang that drum, and loudly.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

The US made sure to park two carrier groups nearby as soon as the fighting started to make sure no-one gets any funny ideas about intervening in support of Palestine. US material guarantees go a lot further than just a breakdown of dollars spent.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Glah posted:

That money doesn't automatically transform into munitions, as seen when Israel needs 155mm artillery shells from US. Shells that could be sent to Ukraine instead. A country that is actually fighting an existential war. Never mind the protection US gives to Israel in UN to obstruct any real international pathways to curtail the ethnic cleansing Israel is doing. Only way for US policy to change is to bang that drum. Especially US being a two party system where both parties are still very much supporting Israeli policy, it becomes more imperative to make dissenting voices heard. So bang that drum, and loudly.

Israel doesn’t “need” US shells, they buy them from israeli arms manufacturer Elbit. They bought a poo poo ton several months before 7/10, enough more than the usual supply it made news in Kazakhstan where I am.

The US gives it even more bc the US wants to. But Joe Biden cannot snap his fingers and end the murder.

Glah
Jun 21, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Israel doesn’t “need” US shells, they buy them from israeli arms manufacturer Elbit. They bought a poo poo ton several months before 7/10, enough more than the usual supply it made news in Kazakhstan where I am.

The US gives it even more bc the US wants to. But Joe Biden cannot snap his fingers and end the murder.

Sending tens of thousands of 155mm artillery shells to Israel (similar amount that Elbit is able to produce in a year) absolutely enables Israel to shell Gaza more. Whole western munitions production with them is capped at the moment thanks to war in Ukraine, shells that Ukraine sorely needs. Maybe Joe Biden cannot snap his fingers and end the murder but at least he could not facilitate it or actively protect Israel in UN. And bringing up this fact is good and needed thing.

Implying that criticizing US for this is just an example irrational anti-americanism where people can't get US out of their heads is pretty drat laughable.

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
What if this massakre is still going on in august? Will Biden try to actually presserende Bibi then? Or will his zionism conquer his desire for reelection?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Glah posted:

Sending tens of thousands of 155mm artillery shells to Israel (similar amount that Elbit is able to produce in a year) absolutely enables Israel to shell Gaza more. Whole western munitions production with them is capped at the moment thanks to war in Ukraine, shells that Ukraine sorely needs. Maybe Joe Biden cannot snap his fingers and end the murder but at least he could not facilitate it or actively protect Israel in UN. And bringing up this fact is good and needed thing.

Implying that criticizing US for this is just an example irrational anti-americanism where people can't get US out of their heads is pretty drat laughable.

Yeah, any 155 shell going to Israel is a shell not going to fight the actual anti-imperialist war, imo.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

E: Israel is the world’s ninth-largest arms exporter fwiw, behind only the US, China, Russia, and a gang of euro states with the top being France. They have home grown weapons manufacturers that make what they need to keep the killing going.

This post is utterly bizarre. Subsidizing 15% of the IDFs budget on a yearly basis is not "a drop in the bucket" and that ignores the handouts the United States gives to Israel every time they decide to take a little excursion in Gaza. It also ignores the other security guarantees the US provides that prevent other countries in the region from intervening, the fact that Israel's domestic arms industry relies on inputs from the United States that should rightly be denied under currently existing anti terrorism laws, etc.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Just because Israel's defense industry has a large market cap doesn't mean they actually have the means to mass produce munitions. The majority of the stuff they actually produce is fancy software and surveillance systems. They absolutely do not have the capacity to keep their tanks firing without the US.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

OK, but none of this washes America's hands of the blood of its involvement in the genocide. That Israel COULD carry on without US munitions & arms doesn't mean it doesn't matter that America is still supplying them. Because it would mean more than just the guns & ammo, it'd mean Israel's closest ally is actually reconsidering it's policy of sticking it's hands in its ears & singing "la-la-la I can't hear you" about Israel's war crimes. This is diplomatically significant if nothing else, & It's unlikely it would be accompanied by nothing else, be it the sort of financial sanctions that are on the Russian leadership being applied to Bibi & his allies or whatever else.

Extremely bizarre to just try & handwave away 15% of the IDF's budget, as if Israel wouldn't have to find that from elsewhere, in turn potentially requiring Israel to take funding from elsewhere in the budget to maintain their genocidal war machine, & actually potentially having somewhat of an impact on the Israeli citizens who keep electing a bunch of genocidal maniacs as their political representatives.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
The war in Ukraine has pretty confidently established that on-paper GDP does not correlate to raw manufacturing power. Israel makes plenty of money off of selling subsidized tech and training, but that doesn't translate to the mass production of shells, bombs, and aircraft parts. Not having the US available as a source for those would be a massive blow to Israel's death machine.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

punishedkissinger posted:

Just because Israel's defense industry has a large market cap doesn't mean they actually have the means to mass produce munitions. The majority of the stuff they actually produce is fancy software and surveillance systems. They absolutely do not have the capacity to keep their tanks firing without the US.

Got any sources for this claim? I feel like I always see it repeated but have never seen any actual data about tank weapons that Israel is going through, how much they currently have, and how many they do/could buy from other countries

And it also ignores that Israel could go the nuclear route if they stopped caring about their own residents

Kalit fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Feb 13, 2024

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Hi there. The US recently approved about $17bn military aid for Israel which just so happens to be a match with the overall cost of this war and is near enough Israel's entire annual defence budget for a year.

It's extraordinary to think that this, or the >$3.3bn annual military aid, or the other aid, or other forms of aid via various means constitutes 'a drop in the bucket'.

Kalit posted:

Got any sources for this claim? I feel like I always see it repeated but have never seen any actual data about tank weapons that Israel is going through, how much they currently have, and how many they do/could buy from other countries

And it also ignores that Israel could go the nuclear route if they stopped caring about their own residents

It's not common for the US to bypass congress to deliver emergency sets of tank shells for an ally who doesn't need them. https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/dec/09/biden-administration-emergency-authority-tank-shells-israel Easy to find sources for this.

Hong XiuQuan fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Feb 13, 2024

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Hong XiuQuan posted:

Hi there. The US recently approved about $17bn military aid for Israel which just so happens to be a match with the overall cost of this war and is near enough Israel's entire annual defence budget for a year.

It's extraordinary to think that this, or the >$3.3bn annual military aid, or the other aid, or other forms of aid via various means constitutes 'a drop in the bucket'.

It's not common for the US to bypass congress to deliver emergency sets of tank shells for an ally who doesn't need them. https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/dec/09/biden-administration-emergency-authority-tank-shells-israel Easy to find sources for this.

First of all, that $17bn didn’t get approved. It got soundly rejected and had no chance of passing: https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news...9f-cfffec3b0000

And for your response to me, that “source” doesn’t say anything about Israel running out of tank weapons if Biden hadn’t sold them

Kalit fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Feb 13, 2024

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Kalit posted:

First of all, that $17bn didn’t get approved. It got soundly rejected and had no chance of passing: https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news...9f-cfffec3b0000

And for your response to me, that “source” doesn’t say anything about Israel running out of tank weapons if Biden hadn’t sold them

$14 billion in aid just passed the Senate last night and Democrats are considering a discharge petition to get around Speaker Johnson's lack of desire to bring the bill to the floor. Quit being a weirdo

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Kalit posted:

you have to be the dumbest motherfucker in this thread

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

Kalit posted:

Why do you think the US is supplying Israel with thousands of tank rounds if it didn't need them?

e:

I don't get the urge for people to say 'Israel really doesn't need all this money and weapons it keeps saying it needs'

Hong XiuQuan fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Feb 13, 2024

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

This FT article covers both "who makes Israeli weapons which cause large scale damage" (hint it's the US) and "be horrified at Israel's genocide" at the same time. I hadn't seen the statistics comparing the extent of building destruction to that of German cities in WW2.

https://www.ft.com/content/7b407c2e-8149-4d83-be01-72dcae8aee7b

There's some movement to produce munitions domestically but the intensity would likely scale back dramatically if we banned exports:
https://www.realcleardefense.com/articles/2024/01/04/israel_signals_self-reliance_for_weapons_1002676.html

This link's description of Israel's genocide campaign is pretty gross and brushes aside any ethics or moral reasoning, as a heads up. I guess one should expect something written by a former defense professional to read such.

Hong XiuQuan posted:

I don't get the urge for people to say 'Israel really doesn't need all this money and weapons it keeps saying it needs'

Imo one of the most obnoxious parts of it is they probably don't need the money and could pay for it all, we just want to protect them from even suffering that economic pain. Not that that would make it much better but it's just another slap in the face.

The urge probably comes from a place of feeling hopeless to stop the country from supplying them, so it's comforting to imagine that it wouldn't make much difference either way.

Kagrenak fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Feb 13, 2024

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

rscott posted:

$14 billion in aid just passed the Senate last night and Democrats are considering a discharge petition to get around Speaker Johnson's lack of desire to bring the bill to the floor. Quit being a weirdo

It also explicitly bans the US from funding UNRWA, something that will lead to even more mass starvation and disease outbreaks than we’ve already seen.

Joe Biden is not some loving powerless bystander, things like this could not happen, and this war could not continue, without his full throated support.

Nucleic Acids fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Feb 13, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Hong XiuQuan posted:

Why do you think the US is supplying Israel with thousands of tank rounds if it didn't need them?

e:

Israel running out of tank weapons and Israel wanting to have a large stockpile in case of shortages/US stops supplying them/escalation of war if someone decides to invade them/etc are very different