Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Just a thought into the ether... don't shoot down a teammate's idea to fix/improve something right off the bat. Worst case scenario, let them make a card or whatever your team "to-do" list looks like and let them run with it. It's fine to give context or say whatever, but I imagine a lot of us have the power to just stop something in its tracks and it's too easy to be jaded to the point where you don't realize you're doing it when it's not something that needs to be done.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Feb 12, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Internet Explorer posted:

Just a thought into the ether... don't shoot down a teammate's idea to fix/improve something right off the bat. Worst case scenario, let hem make a card or whatever your team "to-do" list looks like and let them run with it. It's fine to give context or say whatever, but I imagine a lot of us have the power to just stop something in its tracks and it's too easy to be jaded to the point where you don't realize you're doing it when it's not something that needs to be done.

Ok I'll mark it down as an action item and circle back when I have more bandwidth.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

perfect

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Put it in the backlog

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Sepist posted:

Put it in the backlog

I think you mean Parking Lot

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Don't forget to write your story for the sprint this week so we can pass it to the stakeholders with our deliverables

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
Sometimes at quarterly presentations we have a break down of what IT/dev work was done and it's just a bar graph with 50 sections, then followed by slides that are just project names that no one knows what the gently caress they refer to so you just get a few minutes of people going "huh??" it's all very exciting stuff that no one cares about anyway

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Reoxygenation posted:

Sometimes at quarterly presentations we have a break down of what IT/dev work was done and it's just a bar graph with 50 sections, then followed by slides that are just project names that no one knows what the gently caress they refer to so you just get a few minutes of people going "huh??" it's all very exciting stuff that no one cares about anyway

You guys have stakeholders showing up for demos?

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

I propose that we rename stakeholders to vampires

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

chin up everything sucks posted:

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie

LochNessMonster posted:

You guys have stakeholders showing up for demos?

They present to the employees but I know they present to other people, no loving clue who tho

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

no no they're the vampire hunters

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

ziasquinn posted:

no no they're the vampire hunters

No, they are vampires because they are the proper place to shove a stake.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

No, they are vampires because they are the proper place to shove a stake.

oooh they hold the stake (with their heart)

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Just a thought into the ether... don't shoot down a teammate's idea to fix/improve something right off the bat. Worst case scenario, let them make a card or whatever your team "to-do" list looks like and let them run with it. It's fine to give context or say whatever, but I imagine a lot of us have the power to just stop something in its tracks and it's too easy to be jaded to the point where you don't realize you're doing it when it's not something that needs to be done.

Is nodding thoughtfully and saying "Good hustle champ, you should get right on that." professional enough to say "Look I got a million other stupid things to do, and I don't need someone adding to my pile of stupid things to do."

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Defenestrategy posted:

Is nodding thoughtfully and saying "Good hustle champ, you should get right on that." professional enough to say "Look I got a million other stupid things to do, and I don't need someone adding to my pile of stupid things to do."

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

I think all tech debates should be solved by roshambo

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
All tech debates should be solved by a woke off, the woker u are the higher the priority for ur ideas

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Anyway I have to go into the office twice this week because our coo just couldn't possibly come in on a Monday and I'm mad

At least head of HR was willing to swing by

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

drat, our local hospital fired half their IT tech folks. This must be one of those "dumpster fires"

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Apparently there's a meme going around with "this meeting could have been a fist fight" and honestly I'm here for it. At least a decision would be made.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Apparently there's a meme going around with "this meeting could have been a fist fight" and honestly I'm here for it. At least a decision would be made.

After the past few weeks I'm all in, and I'm bringing my emotional-support nail-bat.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I have an emotional support snooker ball in a sock

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I have a CAT5 o nine tails in my cupboard.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I've seen people basically cut wrestling promos in meetings before and had to get physically separated. Automotive brainworms destroy people.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

GreenNight posted:

Ok I'll mark it down as an action item and circle back when I have more bandwidth.

Did you just tell me to go gently caress myself?

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Vargatron posted:

I've seen people basically cut wrestling promos in meetings before and had to get physically separated. Automotive brainworms destroy people.

How is that not an automatic termination? Christ. I’m against do nothing corpo speak but also not really pro-fighting in the workplace

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

vanity slug posted:

Open a support ticket and we'll get on top of that asap.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

vanity slug posted:

I hear what you say, but..

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

tehinternet posted:

How is that not an automatic termination? Christ. I’m against do nothing corpo speak but also not really pro-fighting in the workplace

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RAMRukKqQg

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Dandywalken posted:

drat, our local hospital fired half their IT tech folks. This must be one of those "dumpster fires"

Meanwhile I have an actual horrible employee at my hospital that should have been fired months ago but apparently the process has changed and there are a million hoops that must be jumped through now to fire someone.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

tehinternet posted:

At one point I worked at a consultancy company where 2 colleagues got into a physical altercation that got out of hand at a clients office because of a joke.

One guy went to his car and grabbed a machete out of the trunk. The clients security team stopped the guy from reentering the building.

Machete guy got fired. The joker got a warning. We didn’t lose the client :eyepop:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

drat. Lucky it wasnt a gun.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Vargatron posted:

You know they say that all men are created equal, but you look at me and you look at the Senior Admin and you can see that statement is not true. See, normally if you go one on one with another Sys Admin, you got a 50/50 chance of winning. But I'm a project management freak and I'm not normal! So you got a 25%, AT BEST, at beat me. Then you add Agile to the mix, your chances of winning drastic go down. See the 3 way at Stand Up, you got a 33 1/3 chance of winning, but I, I got a 66 and 2/3 chance of winning, because Agile KNOWS he can't beat me and he's not even gonna try!
So Senior Admin, you take your 33 1/3 chance, minus my 25% chance and you got an 8 1/3 chance of winning at Stand Up. But then you take my 75% chance of winning, if we was to go one on one, and then add 66 2/3 per cents, I got 141 2/3 chance of winning at Stand Up. See Senior, the numbers don't lie, and they spell disaster for you at Stand Up.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Amazing. :allears:

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

tehinternet posted:

Cutting a promo doesn't generally mean fighting. A promo is the sort of self-aggrandizing rant a wrestler goes on to help build up an upcoming match or his own profile. A better fan could probably describe that better.

Back in the late 90s, I would occasionally try to imitate the Rock's promo style and threaten to shove a Sun v480 sideways up someone's candy rear end, but always in the context of two IT people griping about one or more people who were not present. You wouldn't have mistaken it for a threat, even if it was anatomically possible for any human being's rear end to fit a v480.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

George H.W. oval office posted:

You know they say that all men are created equal, but you look at me and you look at the Senior Admin and you can see that statement is not true. See, normally if you go one on one with another Sys Admin, you got a 50/50 chance of winning. But I'm a project management freak and I'm not normal! So you got a 25%, AT BEST, at beat me. Then you add Agile to the mix, your chances of winning drastic go down. See the 3 way at Stand Up, you got a 33 1/3 chance of winning, but I, I got a 66 and 2/3 chance of winning, because Agile KNOWS he can't beat me and he's not even gonna try!
So Senior Admin, you take your 33 1/3 chance, minus my 25% chance and you got an 8 1/3 chance of winning at Stand Up. But then you take my 75% chance of winning, if we was to go one on one, and then add 66 2/3 per cents, I got 141 2/3 chance of winning at Stand Up. See Senior, the numbers don't lie, and they spell disaster for you at Stand Up.

I get through "You know they say that all men are created equal" and the voice in my head automatically switches to Scott Steiner.

Also, I got a 34" ultrawide monitor with a built in KVM and it owns so much! I don't know why I went so long without getting one of these. It makes laptop setup and troubleshooting so much easier.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I don't know how I'm ever suppose to go to monitor that isn't a 32"+ monstrosity. They're so cheap same with desks and my $120 adjustable non-brand Amazon desk simply works.

I remember buying my first 17" NEC LCD back in 2004 for a couple hundred dollars and it was insane finally leaving CRT land.

Now we're doing 4k with HDR, Refresh Rate Sync, High Refresh! :catdrugs:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I went from a 38" ultrawide to a 49" super ultrawide and I love it. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

I'm glad to be out of the ironworking business where fights, threats, and weapons were a fairly regular occurrence.