Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Kibayasu posted:

you are invincible while pooping.

not against your dwarf son you ain't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

FishMcCool posted:

Or the pricetag, or the marketing.

I have no idea what the game is like, but I sure know that it's running UE5. If a game is so unremarkable that the choice of engine needs to be mentioned in every single media piece, that has to be a red flag.

I feel like that's kind of typical whenever a new engine comes out and games are only just starting to use it though.

Dumb name and a loving awful music track for the trailer killed any interest I might have had:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWdX6BEYXjk
Just one big :barf: at lovely rappers proclaiming themselves to be GOATs repeatedly. Who the gently caress are you, wait don't tell me I don't care. Absolutely fitting for a game that was forgotten before it even came out lol.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

LLSix posted:

Nox was amazing. Is GOG the best place to get it? I didn't see it on Steam.

Yeah, pretty much.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Sab669 posted:

I feel like that's kind of typical whenever a new engine comes out and games are only just starting to use it though.

Dumb name and a loving awful music track for the trailer killed any interest I might have had:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWdX6BEYXjk
Just one big :barf: at lovely rappers proclaiming themselves to be GOATs repeatedly. Who the gently caress are you, wait don't tell me I don't care. Absolutely fitting for a game that was forgotten before it even came out lol.

Also :laffo: at having your entire game be about high-powered magic set in some sort of multi-dimensional fantasy world, and then making your protagonist the absolutely most generic-rear end milquetoast dude imaginable and naming him Jack. That's not exactly a great start when you want to convince people you're doing something new and creative.

Also even aside from the music, the trailer is just bad. Nothing about it is memorable and the snippets of gameplay are neither impressive nor interesting. I went and looked at their other trailers, and those aren't much better either. There's just nothing in there that really offers a unique hook to draw your, it's all just "yeah this sure is a shooter I guess". It's kind of funny because in the same time frame we had releases like Robocop and Boltgun, which were very well-received just on the strength of their creative vision and focused gameplay with much smaller budgets.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Fallout 4

My first visit to Vault 81 really, really fed my paranoia. I kept wondering, what is *wrong* with this place because nothing seemed to be terribly wrong. It looked to be entirely reasonable, but neither was it too perfect. Ordinary people with ordinary problems. I had even heard about "the best rifle in the game" but it's not like that was locked up in a case you would need to fight everyone to get, it was for sale in the store for a high, but not unreachable price. (I got it by loading up on Institute energy weapons I got from the quest at ArcJet Systems and paying the remaining thousand caps in cash.) It was actually a relief to learn about the "secret extra vault" full of biological research. I didn't actually notice that I was infected with something until after I turned in the cure, but at least it played fair and required you to be bitten, so it is possible to avoid it. And the reward for completing it actually felt tremendously satisfying on an emotional level: I get my own ROOM in this healthy, thriving community.

I like how some of the questing zones tie into each other. The Brotherhood of Steel are holed up in a police station, which has an evidence terminal which points you to a couple other places. I was already on my way to Boston Common and my route took me past one of those places and I heard a familiar name [spoiler]Nick Valentine which was interesting.

About Vault 114: I couldn't carry everything, so I left a lot of the guns from the thugs behind. In the big climax at the end, I died in the gunfight, but after reloading, I put on my 3 pieces of +CHR gear and this time convinced the woman to leave, and surprisingly the mob boss also let us go. Is he findable in the game if I go back there again? It somehow feels like it would be wrong to go back and kill them just to collect those guns, and it's not like I'd be using them for anything except parts anyway.

EDIT: I have to say that I really like how the urban areas are done in Fallout 4 compared to Fallout 3. It's exploration through contiguous city streets instead of always going through subway tunnels, and there are even fire escape stairs and such you can use to get high and sometimes do rooftop exploration. I got an assignment to clear out Hangman Alley for resettling, and was able to do that by taking to the roof and sniping them down from above, which was fun.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Feb 13, 2024

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
It also probably doesn't help that 85% of the steam userbase can't even play Immortals of Aveum because of the ridiculous hardware requirements.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

it's probably "playable" on most systems if you drop to the settings it uses on consoles

720p on PS5/XSX and like 480p on XSS lol

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

FrickenMoron posted:

It also probably doesn't help that 85% of the steam userbase can't even play Immortals of Aveum because of the ridiculous hardware requirements.

uh, they should be purchasing new rigs every other year for the latest AAA and AAAA live service gaming experiences? what the hell is stopping them?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

FrickenMoron posted:

At first I looked at them I was like, a 1070 Min / 3080 Recommended doesn't seem THAT BAD, then I noticed the footnote. Yikes!

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I picked it up for like 15 bucks on Epic during the winter sale and had it running ok after fiddling with settings a bit. Its just an exceedingly average game to play. Not great, not terrible.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Playing a PC game at 30 FPS? Get that out of my face :pcgaming:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Abandon AAAAAA return to interactive fiction--

https://youtu.be/R91a-Fi-fGY

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The SA Necrodancer threads are all long dead so I'll ask here:

What's up with the latest DLC still being in 'early access' for so dang long? I slam-bought the first DLC instantly, but have been waiting for over a year and a half for this second one to finish cooking?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Serephina posted:

The SA Necrodancer threads are all long dead so I'll ask here:

What's up with the latest DLC still being in 'early access' for so dang long? I slam-bought the first DLC instantly, but have been waiting for over a year and a half for this second one to finish cooking?

I think that DLC completely remakes the multiplayer system to add support for 8 player multiplayer.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Perestroika posted:

Also :laffo: at having your entire game be about high-powered magic set in some sort of multi-dimensional fantasy world, and then making your protagonist the absolutely most generic-rear end milquetoast dude imaginable and naming him Jack. That's not exactly a great start when you want to convince people you're doing something new and creative.

Stranger of Paradise ftw

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Game developers have to stop making titles like Colon: Noun Doer of Place because I can't keep any of them straight.

It should be illegal to put a colon in the title of a game that isn’t already part of a series, or maybe just in general

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Has there ever been a magic-focused FPS that really nailed the feel of blasting poo poo with spells?

I mean specifically shooting stuff straight from the hands, rather than the Heretic/Amid Evil approach of magical implements.

The same old weird, flat combat that results from it was the first thing I noticed about Immortals of Aveum, and how it sure seems like they tried to compensate by just adding more Dr. Strange particles on top.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Feb 13, 2024

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

John Murdoch posted:

Has there ever been a magic-focused FPS that really nailed the feel of blasting poo poo with spells?

I mean specifically shooting stuff straight from the hands, rather than the Heretic/Amid Evil approach of magical implements.

Ziggurat 2 is more about using magical implements:
- Staff
- Wand
- Alchemical Weapon

But it also has a Spellbook where technically you're slinging stuff out of your hand:

Easily my favorite FPS [First Person Spellcaster] :v:

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Does Bioshock/Prey count? You have psionic powers there!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

John Murdoch posted:

The same old weird, flat combat that results from it was the first thing I noticed about Immortals of Aveum, and how it sure seems like they tried to compensate by just adding more Dr. Strange particles on top.

Does Dark Messiah count?

I also think Arx Fatalis still holds up but that's a weird one that isn't for everyone.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Sab669 posted:

Ziggurat 2 is more about using magical implements:
- Staff
- Wand
- Alchemical Weapon

But it also has a Spellbook where technically you're slinging stuff out of your hand:

Easily my favorite FPS [First Person Spellcaster] :v:

Unsurprisingly that's also right outta Heretic. It's acceptable when it's one distinct weapon out of many.

I'm also pretty sure in Heretic it has more (faux) recoil in its firing animation than any of the spells in Immortals of blah blah blah.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

FishMcCool posted:

Or the pricetag, or the marketing.

I have no idea what the game is like, but I sure know that it's running UE5. If a game is so unremarkable that the choice of engine needs to be mentioned in every single media piece, that has to be a red flag.

Guess how hey could have increased development costs by 20%. The could have redirected half the marketing costs towards development.

https://www.gamesradar.com/ea-flop-...uly-awful-idea/

quote:

"At a high level, Immortals was massively overscoped for a studio's debut project," the former employee said. "The development cost was around $85 million, and I think EA kicked in $40 million for marketing and distribution. Sure, there was some serious talent on the development team, but trying to make a AAA single-player shooter in today's market was a truly awful idea, especially since it was a new IP that was also trying to leverage Unreal Engine 5. What ended up launching was a bloated, repetitive campaign that was far too long."

30% of the money spent on the game was just marketing.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
To be clear, I'm talking about the kinaesthetics of magic spells as gun and the weaknesses of that approach.

So no immersive sims really fit that bill because your spells are additional tools rather than your primary attack. And most of them have terrible kinaesthetics anyway. Ironically Bioshock Infinite might have the best and Prey the worst.

Next closest thing I can think of is Skyrim, and uh, don't recall hearing much love for that magic system.

Honestly in hindsight it was kind of a silly rhetorical question because I can only think of a tiny handful of other games that have actually done what I'm talking about.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Feb 13, 2024

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Velocity Raptor posted:

It had marketing?
I didn't hear loving poo poo about it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

John Murdoch posted:

To be clear, I'm talking about the kinaesthetics of magic spells as gun and the weaknesses of that approach.

So no immersive sims really fit that bill because your spells are additional tools rather than your primary attack. And most of them have terrible kinaesthetics anyway. Ironically Bioshock Infinite might have the best and Prey the worst.

Next closest thing I can think of is Skyrim, and uh, don't recall hearing much love for that magic system.

Honestly in hindsight it was kind of a silly rhetorical question because I can only think of a tiny handful of other games that have actually done what I'm talking about.

Ghostwire: Tokyo had pretty satisfying to use hand-spell-guns.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Croccers posted:

It had marketing?
I didn't hear loving poo poo about it.

Yeah I’m actually quite impressed that a game I never heard of has a $40 million marketing budget.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Immortals looks and sounds like the videogame adaptation of a straight to Disney+ Marvel mini series.

Here’s a big galactic threat and some space magic and a plucky battle against the odds and who loving cares, I’m tired. Absolute slop.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Bumhead posted:

Immortals looks and sounds like the videogame adaptation of a straight to Disney+ Marvel mini series.

Here’s a big galactic threat and some space magic and a plucky battle against the odds and who loving cares, I’m tired. Absolute slop.

We hear you, live service co-op looter shooters with crafting and pokemon only from here on out!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Velocity Raptor posted:

I didn't know the game was even out lol

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Velocity Raptor posted:

Guess how hey could have increased development costs by 20%. The could have redirected half the marketing costs towards development.

It's typically more like 50% for big games from publishers.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

SlothBear posted:

Yeah I’m actually quite impressed that a game I never heard of has a $40 million marketing budget.
I get that I'm not the easiest to market to.
I'm in Australia
I have an ad blocker on my PC.
We don't watch regular TV.
We have YT premium on the TV so we don't get ads.
But I never saw a single Facebook ad.
Never saw an ad in meatspace. There's some ads for games on buses here at least!
My BF watches a lot of the contemporary youtube video game people and I don't remember any of them playing it.
:shrug:

Croccers fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Feb 13, 2024

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Velocity Raptor posted:

Lol, during the Game Awards my wife and I discussed games we remember seeing at past Game Awards/ Keigh3s that we didn't think ever came out and we vaguely remembered this one.

Apparently if we had known the name of it we could've found out it had already came out?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Man all these stupid huge AAA gaas crazy marketed games fail and here I am having a blast playing bg3, Homeworld 1, rimworld, Elden ring. Maybe they should try making good games. There's been a lot of big stinkers lately. Starfield was my big letdown so far

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ZearothK posted:

not against your dwarf son you ain't

not my small adult son :ohdear:

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

queeb posted:

Man all these stupid huge AAA gaas crazy marketed games fail and here I am having a blast playing bg3, Homeworld 1, rimworld, Elden ring. Maybe they should try making good games. There's been a lot of big stinkers lately. Starfield was my big letdown so far

i love my AA games

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I see Immortals of Aveum and I assume gacha game. I don't know why.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I mean, Elden Ring and especially BG3 are AAA games. Not service games really, but they both had hundreds of developers cranking away for a long time.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

I see Immortals of Aveum and I assume gacha game. I don't know why.

It is a supremely generic mobile gacha game sounding name that invokes nothing.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

explosivo posted:

We hear you, live service co-op looter shooters with crafting and pokemon only from here on out!

We are awash with critical and commercial single player success stories.

The format isn’t why this looks like B tier comic guff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

I love playing Sienna in Vermintide 2, especially Pyromancer with the beam staff. Whenever there's a horde, I let enemies get really close before I use the alternate mode (which she uses her left hand for, so that satisfies your requirement) to blast dozens of them at a time into a different area code.

I know half my posts involve VT2, but I am being completely sincere here, I think some of her builds have great kinetic feel.

I could only find this random YT video but I think it gets this across:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwX5uw0GeoM&t=384s