Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

AndrewP posted:

A good chunk of my playtime with this game has been messing around with the lighting, it feels like a full generation ahead. I don’t know how they pulled off ray traced GI at 60fps on this generation while nobody else can seemingly even sniff it

My hunch is, on top of some talented programmers who did some custom stuff, their engine might only do the kind of lighting that would affect the game's narrower types of visuals, one that wouldn't look right being used to run the lighting in Cyberpunk's Night City or anything else that isn't a post-apocalyptic winter hellscape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Raytraced GI can be accumulated over many frames so there's no real need for it to have a big impact on framerate. The tradeoff is that the bounced lighting can lag behind a few frames (you can see it if you turn on a light in a pitch dark room and the light "floods in" over a few frames before stabilizing). The biggest advantage Metro has that few other games do is that the enhanced edition is truly next-gen only and requires raytracing, even on PC, which means they could completely redo the game's diffuse lighting to be entirely based on RTGI, instead of just being an additional pass that happens on top of the rasterized light pipeline. And yeah, being largely lit by natural light and smaller localized light-sources definitely makes a difference.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

webmeister posted:

Pretty sure everyone who can will buy GTA VI on console and then again a year later when it comes out for pc

Surely the potential market for a PC port is actually larger than for Xbox, if not at this point then definitely in a year. T2's commitment to this bit is just kind of silly at this point.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Ah yes, the bit of developing your extremely ambitious game for an exact set of hardware and then only when you’ve got that development complete do you bother with sorting out all the various PC compatibility issues.

Hilarious bit. Those guys at Rockstar are real jokesters.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

they shouldnt put it out on pc at all

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

They should exclusively put it out on Mac.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFvfjWvqCrU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

lmao

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Can't wait to play that on Switch

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Xbox stays winning.

Btw what kinda suicide pact we making for the future of Xbox announcement?

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Their pop culture DLC has been really great.

I am very curious to see the flight characteristics they've made up for that thing... Also, does Arrakis have different gravity than earth?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
i love how the announcement is going to be in a podcast.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
gonna toss my Series X and PS5 off the Chrysler building and see which makes a bigger crater

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

The REAL Goobusters posted:

i love how the announcement is going to be in a podcast.

Probably because there's no actual announcement.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
"We're committed to the Xbox brand while also exploring the option of releasing some of our games on more platforms to ensure that everyone can experience the joy of playing our games. That initiative starts today where our award winning Tango Gameworks developed titled Hi-Fi Rush is now available for players on Nintendo Switch and Sony Playstation. Goodbye"

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

They're annoucing that nintendo and sony have hired them to make it so their cloud saves dont suck rear end

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Their pop culture DLC has been really great.

I am very curious to see the flight characteristics they've made up for that thing... Also, does Arrakis have different gravity than earth?

The book says "nine-tenths of a G", but in-setting Earth is a distant memory so who knows if a "G" in Dune is Earth gravity.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

American McGay posted:

"We're committed to the Xbox brand while also exploring the option of releasing some of our games on more platforms to ensure that everyone can experience the joy of playing our games. That initiative starts today where our award winning Tango Gameworks developed titled Hi-Fi Rush is now available for players on Nintendo Switch and Sony Playstation. Goodbye"

Definitely, but gamers are gonna gamer and the Xbox brand will crater even if that's all that's announced.

It's too late to save Timdog.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

American McGay posted:

"All Xboxes are now remotely bricked and unrecoverable. All credit cards saved to an Xbox account have been maxed out. All Gamerscores have been changed to 0. All Achievements have been reversed. All Xbox accounts erased permanently with no backups. As of this moment, it's as if the Xbox has never existed and you've never played it. Any mention of Xbox going forward will result in immediate legal action."

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
People would probably freak out more if you said their gamer score had been changed to have a 3 or a 7 at the end.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
They will absolutely say games releasing on other platforms will be on a case by case basis. Just like how Xbox will only put games on PC on a case by case basis.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

MorningMoon posted:

They will absolutely say games releasing on other platforms will be on a case by case basis. Just like how Xbox will only put games on PC on a case by case basis.

Those cases of Microsoft releasing games on PC being "every time", of course, they just haven't retroactively released a few from the early Xbox One days.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

MorningMoon posted:

All Xbox games are released on PC as a matter of policy.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Snacksmaniac posted:

They're annoucing that nintendo and sony have hired them to make it so their cloud saves dont suck rear end

I'd do a standing ovation if that was the case

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

American McGay posted:

Timdog died for this??

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

American McGay posted:

Ah yes, the bit of developing your extremely ambitious game for an exact set of hardware and then only when you’ve got that development complete do you bother with sorting out all the various PC compatibility issues.

Hilarious bit. Those guys at Rockstar are real jokesters.

They have unlimited money and everyone else seems to manage to do it with less.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

ColdPie posted:

Timdog died for this??

Build your house on sand and get owned - Jesus

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

SCheeseman posted:

They have unlimited money and everyone else seems to manage to do it with less.

I think it's not so much a money thing as it is a code/game complexity thing, they probably have a ridiculous pre-launch testing timeline as-is with only three major hardware variations to worry about, and opening up to PC increases that considerably in a way that might not be workable for their workflow/anticipated launch timeline. The lead time also gives them a chance to see what issues crop up at launch and incorporate those into PC version changes in a more controlled way since it's a year or two off or whatever. Also makes things a lot harder to datamine which Rockstar's had enough issues with lately with all the leaks.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Rockstar's PC ports are always dogshit at launch so I dunno what good the year delay does. I bought GTA4 on PC at launch and everything was invisible no matter what I did. I couldn't see streets or buildings, just a bunch of floating cars. I never ended up playing it until like 8 years later. And on top of that the Social Club counted as playtime for Steam so GTA4 is still one of my top played games ever which irrationally annoys the poo poo out of me.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Red Dead 2 was alright

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

American McGay posted:

People would probably freak out more if you said their gamer score had been changed to have a 3 or a 7 at the end.

There's been some dark jokes in this thread but you've taken it too far here

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Volte posted:

Rockstar's PC ports are always dogshit at launch so I dunno what good the year delay does. I bought GTA4 on PC at launch and everything was invisible no matter what I did. I couldn't see streets or buildings, just a bunch of floating cars. I never ended up playing it until like 8 years later.
Also GTA5 Online's entire security setup being absolute swiss cheese, even how many years on.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

hatty posted:

Red Dead 2 was alright
I didn't buy that right away but I definitely recall it being a rocky start.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/13/20963263/red-dead-redemption-2-pc-problems-rockstar-games-apology-fix-nvidia

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I had no issues with Red Dead 2, and GTAV on PC when they released.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Volte posted:

Rockstar's PC ports are always dogshit at launch so I dunno what good the year delay does. I bought GTA4 on PC at launch and everything was invisible no matter what I did. I couldn't see streets or buildings, just a bunch of floating cars. I never ended up playing it until like 8 years later. And on top of that the Social Club counted as playtime for Steam so GTA4 is still one of my top played games ever which irrationally annoys the poo poo out of me.

GTA4 was extremely ambitious on PC, you kind of needed a quad core CPU at a time when even dual-core CPUs were widely seen as the more reasonable purchase. It was one of those peculiarities because the 360 had three cores and the PS3's core situation is a weirdly ambitious one (something like 7 usable cores but they're split by type of task), but PCs typically only had single or dual core machines (quad cores were available but very expensive and largely not beneficial for PC gaming). It's also allegedly why the first Dead Rising didn't get a PC port until much later, apparently the original 360 game was very heavily core-reliant, like one core was dedicated to the large amount of zombie AI and stuff like that.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best
The only games pc should have are minesweeper and solitaire. Anything more is wasted on those dweebs.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

If loving Neptunia is the first franchise to bail I swear to god

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Truth is, Timdog was doomed from the start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Yeah