Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Volte posted:

Reaper of Souls added Adventure Mode which is probably the thing that single-handedly saved Diablo 3 from its spiral into irrelevance. Many of the big sweeping changes to itemization and skills were not part of RoS but a big patch that came out just before it, but Adventure Mode was part of the expansion.

Adventure Mode was probably the best thing Blizzard did, yea, but the game still feels fundamentally "Illusion of Choice" IMO.
I will just never like the hot swappable skills & rune system, vehemently dislike Sets that give 10,000% damage to the spells they tell you to use. For a long time there was no reason to use anything but the +HP gem in your armor and the +Crit Damage gem in your weapon. Ancient Items, because what's cooler than grinding for the gear you already have but with a higher tier of stats?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

nerox posted:

I've always considered Diablo 3 an "arcadey" arpg, in that it was like the NBA Jam of ARPGs, whereas POE is the Football Manager of ARPGs.

I am hoping Last Epoch is like the Madden of ARPGs.
Last Epoch is the Dark Souls of baseball.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Sab669 posted:

Trees have branches; Diablo 4 has skill twigs.

And PoE has a skill bush

Two of them actually

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Jack Trades posted:

Hearing complaints about D3 from Last Epoch fans feels weird to me because I like Last Epoch specifically because it's the one most like D3.

On the surface it seems like a modernized D2-style game. Is there something that tracks in a more modern D3 direction?

Sab669 posted:

the game still feels fundamentally "Illusion of Choice" IMO.

That's how I feel about D2/D4/PoE. The difference between having 5-6 good builds locked into set gear and having 5-6 good builds without sets never felt any different to me. Streamlining a large array of options into a small array of things without the friction of research is something I would think was a universal positive if I'd never been exposed to the internet.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Mailer posted:

On the surface it seems like a modernized D2-style game. Is there something that tracks in a more modern D3 direction?

That's how I feel about D2/D4/PoE. The difference between having 5-6 good builds locked into set gear and having 5-6 good builds without sets never felt any different to me. Streamlining a large array of options into a small array of things without the friction of research is something I would think was a universal positive if I'd never been exposed to the internet.

lol at thinking PoE has 5 or 6 good builds and thats it.

I can understand you thinking that if you havent played for a year or three, but build diversity is pretty good right now.

Unless you are doing fairly specific stuff. Deep delve probably only has two or three builds that can handle it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mailer posted:

I'm not particularly well versed in the genre but I know that I don't like D2 inspired games like Grim Dawn or Titan Quest because they have very uninteresting build options.
I spent 30-40 hours on Grim Dawn only to arrive at the conclusion that it's builds consist of only picking a flavor of button to spam and then stacking numerical modifiers that make that number go up. Which I find to be boring as gently caress.

D3 on the other hand has a bunch of options that modify your skills in interesting ways but more importantly have skills that actually interact with each other, so you're not spamming one button, you need to have at least a little situational awareness.
Items in D3 also make huge difference in how skills function.

Last Epoch doesn't seem to have as interesting items as D3 but the interactions between skills and how they can be customized are amazing. I really enjoy messing around with making builds that function in different way.

Besides D3 and Last Epoch the only other game in the genre I've seen that has skills interact with each other is PoE but that game's respec system is exceedingly impractical and actively stops you from doing any experimentation, which is why I don't play it.
I don't want to follow a build guide but if I don't do that in PoE I'm going to waste so much time doing absolutely nothing in that game.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Mailer posted:

the most simple distinction i can think of is that last epoch delivers skills much more like d3, where a class gets access to a majority of its skills at a baseline level simply by levelling rather than being required to invest points progressing through a tree of skills unlocking them in a specific order of power.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

Besides D3 and Last Epoch the only other game in the genre I've seen that has skills interact with each other is PoE but that game's respec system is exceedingly impractical and actively stops you from doing any experimentation, which is why I don't play it.
I don't want to follow a build guide but if I don't do that in PoE I'm going to waste so much time doing absolutely nothing in that game.

If you want to mess around with various builds, you can do that in standard. I am personally happy to shower you with enough currency that you could try literally every build you can think of. All you would need to do is level the characters.

If you asked in the goon guild, you would have more currency than you would have thought possible.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

NPR Journalizard posted:

lol at thinking PoE has 5 or 6 good builds and thats it.

I can understand you thinking that if you havent played for a year or three, but build diversity is pretty good right now.

Unless you are doing fairly specific stuff. Deep delve probably only has two or three builds that can handle it.

I wouldn't know what builds are available in PoE that are viable at whatever endgame exists and reference it only because of its massive number of options. The D2 trap argument has already been done so I'm not going to cover any new ground there, but at least on a theory level that's why I like D3. Whether it's D2's talent pages or PoE's sprawling sphere grid it's still a matter of picking a subset of options and ignoring the rest if you did your internet research. Just shortcut all of that and don't include a cost to do it as a punishment.

To be more on topic, LE hit my radar because it seemed like it had a progression path that avoided the whole "chase drops" shtick and also had some support for SSF play. No idea if those are accurate, but it's what drives me on D3 every season.

Mailer fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Feb 13, 2024

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

i've been meaning to give PoE another shot at some point since i've heard people say it "got good" after i stopped playing but there are some fundamental things about it that i don't totally gel with. not that it matters since the 1.0 of this game and the upcoming grim dawn expansion will probably hold my interest until PoE 2 comes out

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I can't touch PoE anymore, I've played way too much. So sick of that campaign and the giganto skill tree full of boring "+10 HP" shitnodes. Sick of the outdated weapon sockets system.

Psyched for PoE 2 to just bake sockets into the character more naturally, though.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Sab669 posted:

I can't touch PoE anymore, I've played way too much. So sick of that campaign and the giganto skill tree full of boring "+10 HP" shitnodes. Sick of the outdated weapon sockets system.

Psyched for PoE 2 to just bake sockets into the character more naturally, though.

Isn’t half the campaign plot literally “baking sockets into your character is a terrible idea?”

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
no, it's that baking sockets into other characters is a terrible idea. it just might work for me

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
https://youtu.be/Po4adxJxqZk?si=TMc02YFxU5lkJyaT

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

CommunityEdition posted:

Isn’t half the campaign plot

The what

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Sab669 posted:

The what

The stuff you click through as fast as possible to get back to killing.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

I really think Poe kinda nailed it with their skills and characters are detached thing though, really makes it easy for them to add a new skill every patch. D4/last epoch is like, you add a new skill you're gonna have to add one for each cclass or everyone is gonna complain. Or they add a new support gem and now 100 skills have a new thing you can potentially add to it, it really is perfect for a seasonal playstyle.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

It certainly allows for an interesting "freedom of design", yea. My problem as a player is explicitly that I'm loving and sick of trying to find items with the right number/color/links to maintain my builds.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sab669 posted:

The what

There's a big statue you have to fight. Twice.

It's probably oversimplified but I don't think it's too far off to say that LE is halfway between PoE and Diablo as far as mechanic and skill depth.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Sab669 posted:

It certainly allows for an interesting "freedom of design", yea. My problem as a player is explicitly that I'm loving and sick of trying to find items with the right number/color/links to maintain my builds.

The socket issue really stops being a problem as soon as you are in the second half of the campaign. At that point you should have found 4 socket gear in whatever color combination you need, and you can play a build on 4 slots quite a ways into mapping where you will find 5 socket gear easily or just buy a 6 socket item with the colors you need.

There really isnt any friction in terms of getting your sockets right when gearing up anymore.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

TyrantWD posted:

There really isnt any friction in terms of getting your sockets right when gearing up anymore.

If you say so. Doesn't really matter though because I'm so sick of the campaign that the last time I attempted to play I killed Hillock and immediately Alt F4'd lol.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Back in the old days of PoE you couldn't even buy skill gems from a vendor. You had to farm for them, buy them from other players, or in some cases, level up whatever class had that skill as a quest reward, and whatever gems were in the meta could be quite expensive, especially at higher qualities (gem upgrade currency was also very expensive by comparison). Build friction is at an all-time low these days.

I do agree about being sick to death of the campaign though. Honestly I much preferred it when there were only 4 acts that you did multiple times at different difficulties. I liked being able to compare my power level at the same point across the multiple playthroughs.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's baffling to me that both PoE and LE, which have endgame systems that would be easily adaptable all the way down to brand new characters, don't allow you to skip the campaign after you've beaten it.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
there was always a level of basic annoyance i had with POE equipment/gems, and i'll say that last epoch doesn't have that same annoyance, and if they're really giving some attention to combat feel i'll probably get back into it, there was a spark of stuff i really enjoyed in it. i do like the skills system tho because it took skill trees to another deeper level than like, diablo, without devolving into the poe skill trashdump

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

zoux posted:

It's baffling to me that both PoE and LE, which have endgame systems that would be easily adaptable all the way down to brand new characters, don't allow you to skip the campaign after you've beaten it.

I would probably hop on PoE seasons more often if I didn't need go to through the ten act campaign every single time, yeah.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

is this game still genderlocked

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

An Actual Princess posted:

Does the game even refer to your character by their gender?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

An Actual Princess posted:

yes, unfortunately

they said they might change that in the future if it's successful enough to allow it

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012

CommunityEdition posted:

Isn’t half the campaign plot literally “baking sockets into your character is a terrible idea?”

The characters who have gotten hosed up by skill gems all fused the gems directly into their bodies.

That's why the player characters have to use equipment sockets.

Yes, I know that discussing the lore no one cares about from a different game is about as off topic as it gets; I can't help myself.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

sorry Haters and Losers, but POE is still the GOAT

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Noper Q posted:

Yes, I know that discussing the lore no one cares about from a different game is about as off topic as it gets; I can't help myself.

I mean I'm not opposed to learning more about the worlds... I'm just not going to sit there and listen to NPC talk at me when I could be playing the game instead lol. Developers should just make a 5-10 minute TLDR for all their games and post it to YouTube.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Is there any benefit to the campaign skip for LE? I feel like you level about the same speed and the rewards are appropriate for the content. Not like D4 where the campaign levels you at a glacial pace.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

bamhand posted:

Is there any benefit to the campaign skip for LE? I feel like you level about the same speed and the rewards are similar. Not like D4 where the campaign levels you at a glacial pace.

Not having to repeat the same exact thing over and over or waste time clicking away the dialogue boxes, to start with.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
The dialogue is like a minute of clicking for the entire campaign though. And the monoliths are still the same zones, enemies, and bosses, just in a different order.

e: I mean I wouldn't mind if you could start each new char on monos but it's pretty far down the list of features I'd like to see in the game. Feels inconsequential to me personally.

bamhand fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Feb 13, 2024

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

bamhand posted:

The dialogue is like a minute of clicking for the entire campaign though. And the monoliths are still the same zones, enemies, and bosses, just in a different order.

Yes. Different order, instead of the exact same order.

Plus the dialogue boxes are just breaking the flow constantly.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I plan on doing the campaign again when 1.0 launches, because its been a long time and I assume there is new content there? But after that will do campaign skip.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wait how do you skip the campaign in LE? I know you can start monos before you finish if you level high enough, is there a full campaign skip option now?

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012

I said come in! posted:

I plan on doing the campaign again when 1.0 launches, because its been a long time and I assume there is new content there? But after that will do campaign skip.

There is not new content in the campaign, just item factions and two new classes.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

There's the new chapter 1 if you haven't started a character since that was added.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

zoux posted:

Wait how do you skip the campaign in LE? I know you can start monos before you finish if you level high enough, is there a full campaign skip option now?

You can partially skip chunks of the campaign by completing optional dungeons (if you actually get the keys to drop) https://www.icy-veins.com/last-epoch/campaign-skip