Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

zoux posted:

I feel bad for Dakota Johnson. I thought Ben and Kate was really funny and she's also really funny when she does SNL. But all her movies are critical disasters so the public probably thinks she's budget brand Shaline Woodley. She should do more comedy, except that they don't make comedy films anymore so she'd have to go back to TV.

She reminds of Henry Cavill in the sense that they really seem to be a good sport up and open to different roles but they keep getting let down by the projects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Medullah posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XX_Rxvg8vdo

Yeah I hadn't even had a thought about her in years but she killed it on SNL. The Roast video above made me laugh harder than I'd laughed in years at SNL.

Holy poo poo I had never seen that, that's hilarious.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Khanstant posted:

Amazons player is already bad. The only good thing it has is the IMDb overlay to tell you the actors on screen at any time.

Even that sucks! You can't turn it off!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BonoMan posted:

Holy poo poo I had never seen that, that's hilarious.

"I've always loved Workaholics" is savage. Also the nepo baby ring truce.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Medullah posted:

I didn't get that at all. The impression I got was "The democrats should have picked someone better than Biden in 2020 and they're now stuck with him, but he's better than Trump"

Yeah, people are freaking out at the "both sides" thing when it was the gentlest and most objective criticism one could level. The fact that these are the oldest people to run, and are breaking the record set by themselves 4 years ago is something to be angry/frustrated by. People thought it was going to be 30 minutes of Trump jokes, which at this point is neither funny nor clever and certainly not fresh. Not saying anything they did was particularly fresh (Dulce Sloan was the best part).

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

zoux posted:

PND is, imo, the worst of the on-line comic groups they've brought in because almost all their sketches are "us in the writing room having a weird interaction with this week's host". Lonely Island and Good Neighbor (Mooney & Beckett) did like actual sketches and stuff.

This was actually the first thing I saw them do which is great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBpgqRbEFVg

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

swickles posted:

The fact that these are the oldest people to run, and are breaking the record set by themselves 4 years ago is something to be angry/frustrated by.

Fostering anger over candidate choice at this point in the election cycle only leads to voter apathy and inaction, not any actual change for the future. It leads to the flawed thinking that not voting for anyone for that office is a protest vote that sends a message that we want different candidates when it does no such thing. It only enables the loud minority exert their will over the majority.

For fucks sake, loving Roe vs Wade was overturned since Jon was last in the seat and the decision was made to lead with “both candidates are old and this sucks.”

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

If only there were someone in power for years with a majority in both houses of congress with the power to prevent that in several ways.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

If only we could turn time back, right?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
That both sides poo poo was tedious back then and it just doesn't fly now. One side wants to take away rights and establish an extremist government unchained by law, regulation, and citizen consent, and the other side wants to do democracy and give us rights. The choice has never been clearer since the American revolution. Freedom or the boot. Dump reds in the ocean or drown in their bullshit, who needs help with that choice and why would they be watching the daily show?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
You can think that one side is far superior to the other while also acknowledging the fact that there is a very real chance that either candidate will die of old age while in office, and that is a problem.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

That’s not a problem that will be fixed by not voting or not voting for Biden. Do something about that after this election.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Khanstant posted:

and the other side wants to do democracy and give us rights.

[Citation Needed]

Which side is going to end any aid to Israel and cancel all student loans?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

GreenNight posted:

That’s not a problem that will be fixed by not voting or not voting for Biden. Do something about that after this election.

It could be fixed now actually. There’s 0 reason why Joe has to be the default pick.

It’s frustrating and a lot of people are feeling that.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

It’s too late for that. But it’s fine that women won’t have body autonomy as long as old man Biden doesn’t get in.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

GreenNight posted:

Every single election it's the same thing. Only this time, the dem is currently funding a genocide. Which he can just do with no oversight, but student loans? Well, the senate parliamentarian said no, so their hands are tied.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

MarcusSA posted:

It could be fixed now actually. There’s 0 reason why Joe has to be the default pick.

Anyway more on topic I recently finished watching TNG season 1 for the first time and good god that show was abysmal at the start.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

MarcusSA posted:

It’s frustrating and a lot of people are feeling that.

Whenever anyone displays any sort of discontent with the current state of things, the answer is always "well, wait until after the next election." :rolleyes:

GreenNight posted:

It’s too late for that. But it’s fine that women won’t have body autonomy as long as old man Biden doesn’t get in.

You're a loving idiot.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Look, all I'm saying is if the best material Jon had after being off the show for a decade is a warmed over NYT narrative about age that every media outlet has been droning on for months about, then maybe we didn't need him back.

At least John Oliver is back soon.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

graventy posted:

Anyway more on topic I recently finished watching TNG season 1 for the first time and good god that show was abysmal at the start.

Yeah season 1 was really rough. DS9 kinda had the same problem.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
You guys are making it really hard for me to keep up with my New Year's Resolution of not spending a ton of times in USPOL threads this year.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

zoux posted:

I feel bad for Dakota Johnson. I thought Ben and Kate was really funny and she's also really funny when she does SNL. But all her movies are critical disasters so the public probably thinks she's budget brand Shaline Woodley. She should do more comedy, except that they don't make comedy films anymore so she'd have to go back to TV.

Been mentioned, but I'll throw another rec for Cha Cha Real Smooth. Loved her in that.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

IRQ posted:

Every single election it's the same thing.
It's really not and that's the only exceptional problem going on.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

drat I have to vote in every election, why can't politics just be over

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The Left Behind series explores that a little, whole world has one government and a super president for everyone. All the true Christians are gone and everyone is enjoying world peace and global lack of hunger, universal currency, and same faith.

The downsides are that you're not allowed to be Christian anymore and Jesus is going to invade at some point and occupy the Earth for 2,000 years.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Khanstant posted:

The Left Behind series explores that a little, whole world has one government and a super president for everyone. All the true Christians are gone and everyone is enjoying world peace and global lack of hunger, universal currency, and same faith.

The downsides are that you're not allowed to be Christian anymore and Jesus is going to invade at some point and occupy the Earth for 2,000 years.

And when Jesus shows up, whoo boy, does he do a lot of killing. I'm talking walking through rivers of blood of the people he's killed amounts of killing. (Also, his only lines are directly lifted from the Bible, because the authors didn't feel qualified to write new lines for Jesus. So I guess he's had no original thoughts in the last 2,000 years.)

That series was sort of interesting at the beginning as a post-apocalyptic series, if you could try to ignore the Christianity aspect. But that got harder and harder as it went along (some Jews were safe, but literally only 144,000, and not a single one more). And absolutely impossible for the last book (of the main books, I didn't read the books that came out after Jesus's return).

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Feb 13, 2024

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
This season of Halo seems like a big improvement so far.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’d watch a show about murder Jesus.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

And when Jesus shows up, whoo boy, does he do a lot of killing. I'm talking walking through rivers of blood of the people he's killed amounts of killing. (Also, his only lines are directly lifted from the Bible, because the authors didn't feel qualified to write new lines for Jesus. So I guess he's had no original thoughts in the last 2,000 years.)

That series was sort of interesting at the beginning as a post-apocalyptic series, if you could try to ignore the Christianity aspect. But that got harder and harder as it went along (some Jews were safe, but literally only 144,000, and not a single one more). And absolutely impossible for the last book (of the main books, I didn't read the books that came out after Jesus's return).

I remember reading those books because I wanted some schlocky fiction. Booooooooy did they just keep getting worse and worse. My favorite part is how you'd eventually just reach 10+ page sermons in the middle of the books.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Christian fiction sucks in retrospect, but I loved me some Frank E Peretti when I was growing up.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

zoux posted:

Christian fiction sucks in retrospect, but I loved me some Frank E Peretti when I was growing up.

Holy poo poo. That's a name I haven't thought about in ages. I remember reading his books "This Present Darkness" and "Piercing the Darkness" and I didn't care about the religious "real world" part of the story. I just wanted the cool fights between angels and demons. They were part small-town religious drama and part fantasy warefare.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mordiceius posted:

"This Present Darkness" and "Piercing the Darkness"

So badass, I wish there were some kind of secular equivalent for adults.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

Lmao I also didn't finish the last books because Jesus coming back made it all so boring. I liked it more when a Jewish scientist who cured hunger hates the antichrist and tries to assassinate him with like a nano thing blade they made out of sacred wood or some Bible poo poo.

There were also bits where they made a camp in the supposedly irradiated ruins of Chicago or something and lived in a parking garage. Always stuck with me, cool spot for a post apoc base.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

graventy posted:

My wife bought me Star Trek: Resurgence for Christmas, which is kind of barely an okay adventure game by game standards, but a very good Star Trek game if you're a fan of 90s Star Trek, if that makes sense. It's also basically a direct sequel to The Last Outpost from TNG season 1, which is the episode that introduces the Ferengi, and it is really wild to go back and watch that after getting used to the Ferengi in DS9.

If you haven't, you should watch the documentary Chaos on the Bridge about the creation and filming of TNG season 1.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

thrawn527 posted:

I read the first half of this post and thought you were just riffing but lmfao what:psyboom:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Open Source Idiom posted:

I read the first half of this post and thought you were just riffing but lmfao what:psyboom:

I promise you everything I said happens in the books. The series is occasionally metal as gently caress, literal end of the world poo poo. Plagues, trumpets blaring, etc. The authors treated The Book of Revelation literally, so it gets wild. But it's not worth your time because it gets worse and worse and the ending is a disaster.

I tried treating it as a fantasy series where the "magic system" was just Christianity, but it got super preachy as it went on, and Murder Jesus shows up for the last book, and all the good guys are super happy as he just speaks at the bad guys and they blow up.

...I just realized everything I'm describing still sounds cool, but it trust me it ends up lame.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

As someone who grew up in the evangelical Rapture-any-day-now tradition*: that whole poo poo is crazy as hell. And stressful, certain strains of Christian take great joy in explaining, in detail, what punishments the forces of the Beast will visit upon the faithful - my older cousin told me that the anti-christ would have all Christians executed by guillotine, but facing up so they could see the blade...

*There are three main views of the tribulation vis a vis the rapture: that it happens before the tribulations and it is only the wicked that suffer, that it happens midway through the tribulations, or that it only happens after.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

There is a lot of death too. Like we're talking that these authors like killing core characters more than GRRM. But the core series is also 12 books long and the books just draaaaaaaaaaaaaaag at points.

A whole lot of plots just go nowhere too.

One of the most unintentionally funny parts of the series is surrounding this stewardess that tried to seduce the main protag. He was a pilot and almost had an affair with this stewardess (THAT HARLOT!!!!) but then she eventually somehow becomes the main secretary for the Antichrist. She starts to have some doubts about him so he poisons her and the TRIBULATION FORCE (yes, that's what the protags call their group) spend multiple books nursing her back to health. About 60% through the series, the Antrichrist is assassinated but is then ressurected. And at this big gathering, the Antichrist is basically proclaiming himself as god and she appears in the crowd and shouts that he's a liar. So he summons lightning and kills her. The end. I couldn't help but loving laugh. They spend multiple books rehabilitating her and BAM lightning strike dead.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Who is the anti-Christ in those books

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

zoux posted:

Who is the anti-Christ in those books

Nicolae Carpathia, who starts the series off as the Secretary-General of the UN.

Because one world government, am I right?